Search This Blog

Friday, 30 September 2011

Rev.David Hill Creighton (1784 - 1855)

Geraldine O’Moore Creighton was the second wife of Richard Williams of 17 Eden Quay - these were our maternal great-great grandparents.
Geraldine O'Moore Creighton was the daughter of the evangelical Presbyterian minister, Rev. David Hill Creighton (1784 - 1855) of Dorset and his wife Eliza Willis of Portarlington.

I had assumed that David Hill Creighton had been born in County Derry since he was buried there in Portstewart in 1855. However, the LDS website shows up the birth of a David Hill Creighton in Blandford Forum in Dorset, England.  He had two sisters - Jennet and Mary Ann, and Rev. David Hill Creighton later named two of his own daughters Janet and Mary Anne.  
David Hill Creighton was born to Andrew Creighton, shopkeeper, and Mary (possibly Hill) on 16th June 1784 in Blandford Forum, Dorset.  They were Dissenters/Presbyterian.   His siblings were Jennet or Joanel born in 1782,  Mary Ann born 1777, and John born 1779.

Update:  'Saunder's News-Letter' of 3rd August 1835 (viewable at the Find My Past website) confirms Andrew Creighton of Blandford, Dorset, as the father of Rev. David Hill Creighton:    "Died July 23 at Blandford, Mr. Andrew Creighton, father of the Rev. D. H. Creighton, Old Connaught, Bray, at a very advanced age..."

The Find My Past website also has the Dorset Births/Deaths/Marriages records and these also note the death of Andrew Creighton (1744 - 1835) in Blandford Form, aged 91, in 1835.  The same website, under Dorset Marriage Transcriptions also show up the marriage on 28th September 1774 of an Andrew Creighton to a Martha Simonds in Blandford Forum, but it's unclear if this is the same Andrew Creighton or another.

The UK National Archives Discovery website also show up a few details about David Hill Creighton's brother, John Creighton.  In July and August 1805, Sarah Ann Rogers was seeking maintenance from bookbinder, John Creighton of Blandford Forum, for her child.  A second record, dated 20th July 1805, concerns a letter from John Creighton authorising his father, Andrew Creighton, to appear before the court on his behalf in respect of any action concerning the support of the child.  These records are held in the Dorset History Centre.

David Hill Creighton was educated at Rev. David Bogue’s Academy in Gosport, England, Gosport being only about 40 miles along the southern coast from Blandford Forum, Dorset.   The founder of the school, David Bogue, was a Scottish-born evangelical preacher, who had set up his academy in the late 18th century to train young men as missionary preachers.  The annual cost of the three year's tuition was £10, and the pupils lodged with families of the congregation.
Following his three years at Bogue's Academy in Gosport, Rev. David Hill Creighton was appointed by the Missionary Society to Buenos Aires, and was ordained as a minister on October 3rd 1806 at Portsea.

From ‘A Report of the Directors to the Missionary Society’:
‘When the Directors learnt that…the populous and important town of Buenos Ayres had become a part of the British Empire, they were desirous of seizing the first opportunity of sending hither the invaluable treasure of the Gospel of Christ; they saw with avidity the British merchants extended their commercial concerns to that country, and they felt anxious to communicate, with at least an equal zeal, the superior benefits of a pure religion. Mr. Creighton, one of the Missionary Students, was therefore despatched in the ship “Spring Grove” to that nation. It was not expected that he could immediately discharge all the duties of a Missionary…but it was hoped that while employed in learning the language of the country, he would be acquiring the most useful information of the state of religion, and of the way in which he might best employ himself…it was also hoped that he might be of essential use to the sick among our British soldiers, and be serviceable in the religious instruction of their children.
The Society need not be informed, that before the fleet of British merchant-men arrived, Buenos Ayres had reverted to its former possessors; and the particular door of usefulness which had been opened, was, for the present, closed. When Mr. Creighton arrived in the Rio de la Plata, and received this afflictive intelligence, he was at a loss how to act; but after due deliberation, he prudently determined to wait there till he should see in what manner depending affairs should terminate.
Since that time, Monte Video, another considerable town in the vicinity, has yielded to the British arms; and Mr. Creighton will now enjoy an opportunity of rendering some useful services to the general cause of religion in that quarter of the New World.’

Rev. Creighton remained a few months in Monte Video before returning to England in October 1807.

In January 1808 he was engaged by the Hibernian Society to work in Ireland but seems to have worked also in several English towns at this time.  However, he regularly visited the French colony of Portarlington in Queen’s County/Co. Laois to preach. It seems that the primary goal of his mission was to convert whatever natives he came into contact with, whether in Argentina or Ireland, but he doesn’t appear to have had great success.
 From ‘The Irish Evangelical Society, 4th Report’ published in 1818:
‘At Portarlington the affairs of the Society are rather discouraging. This perhaps arises from circumstances over which the committee had no control. Mr. Creighton, from necessity, has been absent for some months, collecting for the new chapel. He has, however, lately returned, and preaches statedly every Sabbath day.’

While at Portarlington he met and married Eliza Willis, the eldest daughter of schoolmaster Thomas Willis.
From the marriage register of the French Church, Portarlington:
‘1810 Jan. 31. David Hill Creighton of Dublin, Method. Preacher to Eliza Willis of Portarlington….’

However, the Lea Parish Register in Portarlington records the marriage of David hill Creighton, Methodist preacher, to Eliza Willis, as occurring on 9th July 1809.

By 1815,  Rev. Creighton had left Portarlington. From ‘The Hibernian Evangelical Magazine, Vol. I’:
Mr. Creighton, who is at present stationed at Winchester, laboured there (ie, Portarlington) for more than twelve months with considerable acceptance and apparent usefulness. His removal is still regretted by many of the inhabitants.’

In 1822, the 'Evangelical Magazine and Missionary Chronicle' recorded that Rev. D.H. Creighton of Patricroft, near Manchester, had collected £6 10s. worth of donations.

In 1829, he was instrumental in taking over St. Mary's Abbey, Meetinghouse Lane off Capel Street, Dublin, for the Evangelical Society;  his services were 'gratuitous', and he hoped to pay the £50 rent through donations.

David Hill Creighton appears in the Dublin Street Directories at 18 Cumberland Street South from 1829 -1833. In 1834 he was noted at Pearse Street and Bray, Co. Wicklow where he had been appointed minister of the Bray Presbyterian Church. In 1834 Mr. Creighton and Bray had been received into connection with the Secession Synod under the care of the Monaghan Presbytery. At this time Mr. Creighton came to Bray from Dublin every Sunday on the mail-car, but about 1836 he began to reside in Bray. In 1840, however, his health gave way and the congregation began to diminish. In 1841, therefore, he obtained leave for the congregation to choose an assistant and successor. His successor discovered that the church was almost deserted on Sundays - only about twenty people would turn up regularly for the services, there being only six Presbyterian families associated with the church, some of them living a great distance away from Bray. Bray, it seems, was primarily a Church of Ireland town.

David Hill Creighton and his daughters ran a Ladies' Academy at various addresses around Dublin in the 1830's, rrobably in connection with the Scots Church in Mary Abbey, Capel Street, which regularly appealed for donations to fund not only its meetingplace, but also the school run in conjunction with it. 
The Creighton achool was advertised frequently in the Saunders Newsletter.  On 2nd March 1835 the paper announced that the school was in operation by Mr. Creighton and his daughters at 50 Lower Sackville Street, Mr. Creighton having recently moved from 14 Upper Gardiner Street. The following month the paper made it known that some ladies had expressed a wish that Mr. Creighton run a summer class in Kingstown, and that enquiries be addressed to Mr. Creighton; references on his behalf could be had from Mrs. Roe of Sans Souci and Mrs. Ferrier of Willow Park.
In 1837 the paper was advertising a Ladies' Academy at 1 Foster Place, College Green, with Mr. Creighton and Mr. and Mrs. Newcombe in attendance.  Later, in 1843 and 1844, the Creightons had moved their school to 9 Westland Row - by this time Mr. Creighton was being assisted by only the one daughter.
It is interesting to see the Creighton's school in operation at 50 Lower Sackville Street, since this was the business address of Thomas Williams, a Welsh linen and woollen merchant who had contributed £200 of capital to the fledgling City of Dublin Steam Packet Company.  The daughter of Rev. David Hill Creighton, Geraldine O'Moore Creighton, married Richard Williams, the bookkeeper of the CDSPCo in 1847.  Both the Roe and the Ferrier families had close links to the shipping company as well, and it's interesting to see them standing as referees on David Hill Creighton's behalf.  

The Belfast Newsletter of 21st June 1842 records a libel case brought by Rev. David Hill Creighton against The Northern Whig newspaper...."The plaintiff was a gentleman far advanced in life, having a very large family of daughters principally dependent on his exertions, and to whom he could give but little..."
The Belfast Newsletter reported that, while the minister of the Bray congregation, Rev. Creighton had been in receipt of a government grant of £70 per annum, known as the regium donum.  The Northern Whig stated that, at the General Synod of the Presbyterian Church of 6th and 7th July 1841, it was decided that Rev. Creighton be suspended from his duties as a minister in Bray.  The paper questioned, therefore, whether he had been  suspended because of misconduct and if he should in retirement be in receipt of the grant.  The court, however, decided in favour of Rev. Creighton, stating that the word 'suspended' should have read 'demitted', and that there had been no misconduct in this case.  Rev. D.H.Creighton was awarded damages of £100 and costs of 6d.

In 1846, David Hill Creighton was noted in Thom’s Directory as living in Dublin at 30 Summer Street; from 1847 - 1849 he appears at 43 Summer Hill.  For a time in the mid 1840's, he lived at Old Connaught Avenue in Bray, before moving to North Cumberland Street in Dublin, and was also the owner of a property named Killarney in Bray, which he demised back to its former owner, Peter Warburton Jackson, in 1845 - the deed for this transaction was witnessed by Rev. Creighton's son-in-law, Alexander Farquharson, a merchant of John Place, Edinburgh, and a John Robertson, writer of Edinburgh.  (Deed 1845-5-168).

Rev. David Hill Creighton died in Portstewart, Co. Derry in 1855, but nobody knows why he died here.   The 'Colerain Chronicle' of 1st April 1854 ran an advertisement announcing that David Hill Creighton's daughters, Mrs. Farquharson and the Misses Creighton, were opening a Ladies Seminary in Portstewart, and that one of them, Jessie Creighton, had just returned from France where she had lived for the previous two years.

The tombstone of Rev. David Hill Creighton in Portstewart Graveyard reads: ‘To the memory of Revd. D.H.Creighton who for upwards of 50 years was a faithful preacher of the glorious gospel of the blessed God. He fell asleep April 5th 1855 in the 69th year of his age. When Christ who is his life shall appear then shall he also appear with him in Glory. Here also sleep till the day break & the dawn appear the mortal remains of Eliza Willis, wife of the above, who entered into rest 15th March 1866 in her 85th year. Weeping may endure for a night but Joy cometh in the morning.’
A neighbouring weathered headstone commemorates his grandson: ‘Here rests the body of D. C. H. Farguharson, grandson of D.H. Creighton at the age of nine years…of him…20...185...’ 

Alexander Farqharson, from Scotland, appeared as a witness to the marriage of Richard Williams and Rev. Creighton’s daughter, Geraldine O’Moore Creighton - Alexander Farquharson married one of Geraldine's sisters, Mary Anne Creighton.

D.C.H. Farqharson was David Hill Creighton Farqharson, born in Edinburgh on  18th December 1846 and who died, aged 9, in 1856.
His family buried him next to his grandfather.

 'The Coleraine Chronicle' of 27th January 1855 announced that a service would be led by Rev. David Hill Creighton in Portstewart Methodist Chapel and that he would be assited by Mr. McCrea.

From 'The Derry Journal' of 28th June 1854:  'June 20, of decline, David Hill Creighton Farquharson, son of the late Alexander Farquharson of Edinburgh, and grandson of Rev. David Hill Creighton.'

From The Freeman’s Journal:
Wednesday, April 18, 1855: April 5, at Portstewart, the Rev. David Hill Creighton, senior Minister of the Presbyterian Congregation, Bray, in the county Wicklow, aged 66 years.’   (NB: His age is never given correctly.)

‘1866 March 15 at Privot House, Dundrum, Eliza, relict of the Rev. D.H. Creighton.’

From The Irish Times of Saturday, March 17th 1866:
‘Creighton, March 15 at Privot House, Dundrum, the residence of her son-in-law, Mr. Richard Williams, Eliza, relict of the late Rev. D.H. Creighton and eldest daughter of the late Thomas Willis Esq., Portarlington, in the 85th year of her age. She sweetly fell asleep in Jesus, whose love she had proved for 68 years.’

Her death certificate confirms that she had died of bronchitis which she had been suffering from for the previous 8 days, at the home of her daughter, Geraldine O'Moore Williams - Privot House, Dundrum.  The certificate has her age as 84, and her daughter, Geraldine, was present at her death.

Eliza Willis and David Hill Creighton had three unmarried daughters - the sisters of Geraldine O’Moore Creighton - who ran a boarding and day school at 41 North Great Georges Street, Dublin. They were Jessie Creighton, Eliza Creighton and Louisa Adelaide Creighton, all three born at some stage between 1811 and 1821. 
From 1873 till 1882, they were noted as running an educational establishment at 39 Gardiner Street Lower, before moving to the North Great Georges Street premises where their college assumed the name of the Kenmare House Collegiate School.

From 'The Belfast Newsletter' of 19th August 1873:  'Educational Establishment for Young Ladies, 39 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin....under the direction of Miss Louisa Creighton, daughter of the late Rev. David Hill Creighton, and for many years Principal Governess in Mrs. Bell's Seminary, 1 Kildare Place.  Assisted by her sisters and some of the first Masters in Dublin...'

Eliza Creighton died on 23rd June 1899;  her sister, Jessie Creighton, died on 2nd May 1893. Their sister, Louisa Adelaide Creighton was  resident at Kenmare House in 1901. She gives her date of birth as 1822. By 1901 she is living off an annuity while her niece, Alexandrina Bolton, was the principal of the college. Alexandrina was the daughter of the widowed Helen Bolton, also resident at Kenmare House - Helen  had been born in Scotland and was the daughter of Alexander Farqharson  and Mary Anne Creighton; she gave her religion as Plymouth Brethren. Helen's son, Reginald Bolton, is living there too and gives his profession as a cashier in a ship broker’s office. 

Louisa Adelaide Creighton died on 21st March 1902 and was buried in Mount Jerome alongside her sisters, Eliza and Jessie, Creighton, and her niece, Alexandrina Mary Elizabeth Bolton who died on 1st January 1952.
On 30th May 1888, Geraldine O’Moore Creighton Williams, the sister of Jessie, Eliza and Louisa Creighton, had died at Kenmare College.

From the Irish Times of Wednesday May 3rd 1893:
‘Creighton, May 2, at her residence 41 North Great Georges Street, Jessie, (Mademoiselle) daughter of the late Rev. D.H. Creighton and of Eliza Willis, his wife.
Meme quand je marcherai par la vallée de l’ombre de la mort, je ne craindrai aucun mais tu es avec moi, c’est ton baton at ta boulette qui me consolent.’

From the Irish Times of June 24 1899:
‘Creighton, June 23, at her residence, Kenmare House, 41 North Great George’s Street, Dublin, Eliza Willis, daughter of Rev.D. H. Creighton, late of Bray, Co. Wicklow, and granddaughter of Thomas Willis, late of Portarlington. Funeral for Mount Jerome on Monday 26th at 8.30. Friends will please accept this (the only) intimation.’

From the Irish Times, Saturday March 22, 1902:
‘Creighton, March 21, at her residence Kenmare House, 41 North Great George’s Street, Dublin, Louisa, sole surviving daughter of Rev. David Hill Creighton, late of Bray, and granddaughter of William Willis, late of Portarlington. “Thine eyes see the King in his beauty.” Funeral will leave for Mount Jerome at 8.30 Monday morning 24th inst.’
Note: Louisa Creighton’s grandfather was actually called Thomas Willis, so the Irish Times got this wrong.

Here is more on the descendants of Rev. David Hill Creighton -

Monday, 26 September 2011

Snippets on Charles Wye Williams, founder of CDSPCo

I keep stumbling across small nuggets of information about the founder of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Co., Charles Wye Williams, while researching the rest of his family. I won't be researching the CDSPCo in any depth because it's been so well documented elsewhere, but I thought I'd do a post collating all the little snippets of info about the man I've come across recently.

Charles Wye Williams was born to Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland and Mary Ann Quin in Belvedere Place, Drumcondra, Dublin in 1779. He died on 2nd April 1866.  I believe that the name 'Wye' comes from the Rev. Charles Wye who married his parents in St. Thomas's in 1777.

Charles Wye Williams married Mary Henry in 1820 in St. Thomas's Church, Dublin. Pigot's Directory of 1824 lists him as a barrister at law, living at 2 Belvidere Place. Later in the 1820s, the notary Hutchins Thomas Williams, was living two doors down in 4 Belvidere Place.

From The King's Inns Admissions Papers:
  'Charles Wye Williams, 2nd son of Thomas, Belvedere Place, Dublin, and Mary Anne Quin. Ed. p.t. T 1809  T 1812.'

By the following year, Charles Wye Williams and Mary Henry had moved to Liverpool. On 26th June 1825, a son, Charles Wye Williams, was born to Charles Wye Williams and Mary in St.Mark's Parish, Liverpool. This child died nine months later, several weeks after the death of his mother. Both were buried in St. James Cemetery, Liverpool.
'Here lies the remains of Mary, wife of Charles Wye Williams, died 11th January 1826 aged 25 years, and their infant son, died 5th March 1826 aged 9 months.'
Earlier, a daughter had been born to the couple - Elizabeth, born on 6th October 1823 in St.James's Parish, Liverpool. On the baptism entry, Charles Wye Williams was noted as 'Williams of Drumcondra', a barrister. In 1823, the family were living in Bedford Street, Toxteth Park.
A son, Thomas Alexander, was born in 1824, and died in Madeira in April 1840, aged 17.

Charles Wye Williams married a woman named Elizabeth at some stage following Mary's death. He may well have married in St. Andrew's Church, Dublin, whose registers have not survived.  This Elizabeth died on 17th January 1847, and a documents relating to the administration of her estate exists - I found it on   Elizabeth Williams lived at Shannon Lodge, County Limerick, and also at 54 Wigmore Street, Cavendish Square, London.  (Presumably Charles Wye Williams lived at both addresses also!)  She left effects to the value of £200.
Charles Wye Williams remarried quickly following the death of his wife - on 16th December 1847 in St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster, London, he married the widow, Frances Kendall/Hendale or Littlewood. This woman lived to a ripe old age and was buried alongside her husband.

From 'The Gentleman's Magazine, Vol. 29 : 'At St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, Charles Wye Williams, esq., Barrister-at-Law, to Frances, relict of the late William Kendall esq., of Birkenhead, Cheshire, dau. of the late Captain John Littlewood, of Cinderhill House, Huddersfield.'
(William Kendall and Frances Littlewood married on 14th January 1832 in West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Scotland; they had a daughter, Fanny Littlewood Kendall, in Liverpool in 1833, and a son, Thomas George Kendall, born 1835 in Liverpool.)

'Sacred to the memory of Charles Wye Williams, C.E., who died 2nd April 1866, aged 85 years; also of Frances, widow of the above, who died 2 March 1898 aged 93 years.'

I got the graveyard inscriptions above from Hazel Smyth's 'Some Notes on Charles Wye Williams, His Family, Their Life and Times.'

From The Examiner, Sunday November 8th 1818:
'Considerations on the alarming Increase of Forgery on the Bank of England, and the Neglect of remedial Measures; with an essay on the Remedy for the Detection of Forgeries, and an account of the Measures adopted by the Bank of Ireland. Addressed to the Commissioners by C.W. Williams, Esq.'

From 'The Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin, Volume 18', under the heading 'Dublin Assembly Rolls 1826', I found the following:
'Certain of the commons (ie: Aldermen of the council), praying for freedom of this city to Charles Wye Williams, esq., granted gratis.'

A List of the Proprietors of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company, 18th July 1824:
Charles Wye Williams of Drumcondra Castle, Trustee
Richard Willliams of Drumcondra Castle, Trustee
Henry Higginbotham of Mountjoy Square, Trustee
Brent Neville Jno. of Secker Street
Robert Roe of Crampton Quay
John Clarke of Astons Quay
James Jameson of Harcourt Street, later a director in the company
Abraham Lane of Ormond Quay
Thomas Gibbons of Fitzwilliam Square
Ephraim Carroll of Stephens Green
Hutchins Thomas Williams of Belvidere Place (No.4)
John Oldham of Suffolk Street
John Doherty of Stephens Green
Richard Cane of Dawson Street
Geoffrey Palmer of French StreetJohn Willans of Bridge Street
William Atkinson of Werburgh Street
Thomas Williams of Hampton Lodge (This was the father of Charles Wye Williams and Richard Williams.)
Alexander Taylor of Mespil
William John Alexander of Stone House in the Co. of Dublin
John Wolseley of Castle Bellingham in the Co. of Louth
Henry Jeremiah Smith of Anns Brook in the Co. of Louth
Henry William Thompson of Stone Brook in the Co. of Kildare

In 1827, the CDSPCo took over the rival  Liverpool and Dublin Steam Navigation Company. Voting took place on the 15th December 1827 to decide on extra trustees - the following is a list of voters with the amount of stock each held.

Richard Williams £8700   (The brother of Charles Wye Williams.)
Thomas Williams of Sackville Street £200  (Origin as yet unknown.)
Charles Wye Williams  £8000
John D. Williams  £300.  Of Eustace Street.  (Son of John Jeffery Williams who was the cousin of Charles Wye Williams and Richard of Drumcondra Castle.)
Richard Palmer £500   (A possible relation of Richard Williams' wife.)
Thomas Williams of Hampton Lodge £5000  (Charles Wye Williams' father.)
Hutchins Thomas Williams £4400  (Son of John Jeffery Williams, who was the cousin of Charles Wye Williams...)
William Williams  £200  (Another relation: William Williams, a nephew of Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland, was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin in 1817. This might also be another son of John Jeffery Williams.)
By proxy: Peter Williams  £400 (I have no idea who this might be.)
Thomas Gibbons  £2400  (Richard Williams was in business with the Gibbons family.)
George Carleton £300   (The Carleton family intermarried with the Williams in Dublin.)

(If our great-great grandfather, Richard Williams, was indeed a relation of the Williams family, then he was too young, having been born in 1812, to have invested in the company.)

From 'House of Commons Papers, Vol 30': 'Williams, Charles Wye, Henry Roe and William Watson, (directors of the Dublin Steam Packet Company), piece of the foreshore of the River Shannon, sold to them.'

On Griffiths Land Valuation of 1855, Charles Wye Williams is noted in Killaloe, Co. Clare where he had founded the Killaloe Marble Mills in the 1820s. A doctor by the name of Robert L. Roe was leasing a house and seven acres from Charles Wye Williams, while he himself was renting less than an acre from the Bishop of Killaloe. In the same townland of Knockyclovaun, the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company was leasing offices and five acres of land from the Bishop.
In the townland of Moys, Joseph Sheehan was leasing the Marble Mill from Williams, while the CDSPCo was leasing an ironworks from the Commissioners of Public Works. On the Canal Bank in the town of Killaloe, William Manderson was renting the stoneyard from Charles Wye Williams; on Royal Parade, the CDSPCo was leasing sheds and a yard from the Bishop of Killaloe, while Sylvester Hurley was leasing a hotel, outbuildings, yard and garden from the CDSPCo.

From 'The Nenagh Guardian, September 30th 1876': 'Mrs. Wye Williams will be at the Royal Hotel, Killaloe, to sell or let the Mills belonging to her at Killaloe. Property is not encumbered and has the right of fishing given by the Commissioners to the late Charles Wye Williams.'
The mills were later sold to Henry Maunsell Lefroy.

John Foley, a descendant of the Hanks family who operated the beautiful grain and flour mill called Sally Mills in Rathangan, Co. Kildare, contacted me suggesting that Charles Wye Williams was probably involved with the refurbishment of the mills which had been undertaken by John's ancestor, Jeremiah Hanks, in the 1800s. Work on the mill was carried out by Edwards & Co in about 1815 - this was the same Belfast foundry which had worked with Charles Wye Williams on the upgrading of the linen mill which he ran in the Lagan valley in the early 1800s. Jeremiah Hanks upgraded Sally Mills from the traditional wheel to an innovative horizontal water wheel and John believes that Charles Wye Williams was involved in this. He also suspects that Williams, along with Edwards & Co, was involved in the construction of the bridge which was built at the mills in the same era. To comply with river traffic regulations, Edwards & Co. had to complete the construction of this bridge in one day flat - the bridge is therefore known locally as the '24 hour' bridge.
The Hanks family were Quakers, as were the Malcolmson brothers from Waterford who used Charles Wye William's patent for turf production at Castleconnell, Limerick and in the Killaloe Slate Factory. The Williams family in Dublin had business dealing with other Quaker families including the Todhunters, the Pims and the Bewleys.

From The Registry of Deeds, Kings Inns, Dublin:
'14.4.1823 Charles Wye Williams and Rothes of Kilkenny.'
The above deed was trascribed by my cousin, Jane Williams, but there were no details given. I have absolutely no idea what Charles Wye Williams was up to in Kilkenny!

Deed 1837-21-204 details the transferral of Aldborough House (aka the Feinaigle Institute, where Charles' nephews were educated) to Bindon Blood, Richard Williams, Charles Wye Williams and William Harty.

I will add to this post as I discover new information....

Saturday, 24 September 2011

Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds, County Down

Edward Wilson (5th July 1846 - 7th May 1878) and Isabella Catherine Hynds/Hinds/Hines (1845 - 23rd August 1922) were our paternal great-great-grandparents. 
Edward Wilson was born on July 5th 1846 in Ballygunaghan, Donaghcloney to Reid Wilson and Agnes Levelet/Lavalade.  Elizabeth Hynds was born circa 1845 in Skillyscolban/Drumaghadone townland to Richard and Isabella Hynds.
All the above townlands cluster in a five kilometer radius between Dromore and Banbridge, County Down. Although the family had started out as Presbyterian, they later converted to the Methodist religion, probably influenced by the Protestant evangelical Great Revival movement of the 1860s.

Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds married on March 8th 1865 in Dromore's First Presbyterian Church - he was listed as a grocer.  Elizabeth's father was Richard Hynds, a farmer of Skillyscoloban.  The witnesses were James Brown and Susannah Cloaghley.

Details of their lives together are quite sketchy. They moved south for a time to Scarva Street in Loughbrickland, Co. Down, where their daughter, Anna Bella Wilson (aka Annie Wilson) was born in 1877.  An older son, John Alexander Wilson, was possibly born here also;  the childrens' father, Edward Wilson, was working as a grocer.

The remaining children were born about 10 kilometers away in Edenderry, Portadown, Co. Armagh. There is a record in the Street Directories of an Edward Wilson working as a spirit dealer in Edenderry, Portadown in 1877.  On the 1901 Census, one of Edward and Elizabeth's children, Samuel Wilson, notes his place of birth (in 1874)  as Loughgall, an area ten kilometers west of Portadown town, although his birth certificate gives the address as Edenderry.   In 1876, Edward Wilson had changed his occupation from spirit dealer to linen manufacturer, and finally, in 1877, he turned to farming - these details from his childrens' birth certificates.

Edward Wilson died on 7th May 1878, aged only 32.  At the time of his death he was living in Belfast at 121 Hilland Street, and was still working as a grocer - his brother Joseph Wilson was present at his death.  Since it seems Edward was a spirit dealer of Portadown, I wonder was 121 Hilland Street the home of his brother?

The children of Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds were as follows:

John Alex Wilson was born to Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds in Scarva Street, Loughbrickland, Co. Down, on 23rd May 1866.  He died on 4th December 1888 in Belfast and was buried in Dromore Presbyterian Churchyard.
    Graveyard inscription:  'Erected by Richard Hynds, Scolvan, in memory of his beloved wife Isabella who fell asleep in Jesus 27th March 1880 aged 72 years.  Also the infant daughter of John Hynds, died 23rd Sept 1873. Also the above named Richard Hynds who died 12th April 1899 aged 91 years.  Also their grandson John Alex Wilson who died 4th Decr 1888 aged 22 yrs.  Also Ann Jane Hynds, eldest daughter of Richard and Isabella Hynds, died 3rd Nov 1920 aged 82 years,  all with the Lord.'

And from the Belfast Telegraph: 'Wilson - December 4th, at the residence of his mother, 22, Queen Street, Belfast, John Alexander, eldest son of the late Edward Wilson, Portadown, aged 22 years.  The remains of my beloved son will be removed from his late residence for interment in Dromore First Presbyterian Burying-ground, this (Thursday) morning, at ten o'clock.  Friends will please accept this intimation.  Elizabeth Wilson.'

Anna Bella Wilson, born to Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds on 27th October 1867 in Loughbrickland, Banbridge, County Down.
Annie Wilson married John Currie, the secretary of a linen business, in St. Anne's Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast, on 4th December 1888.  John Currie was a clerk, the son of William Currie, a linen lapper of 52 Donegall Pass, who was married to Mary Taylor. (Mary Taylor would die at 52 Donegal Pass in March 1889.)  The street directories records William Currie at this address until about 1901, but he was gone by the time of the census.  He was general noted as a linen passer, which was the term given to the official who inspected the finished linen.    Annie Wilson was living at home at 22 Queen Street, Belfast, in 1888;  her marriage registration confirms that her father was Edward Wilson, although makes no mention of the fact that he was dead by then.  Edward was noted as a farmer.  The wedding was witnessed by a Colin Kennedy and by Annie's sister, Lillie Wilson.

John Currie had been born in 1857 in County Down to linen manufacturer, William Currie and Mary Taylor, later of 52 Donegall Pass, Belfast.  William Currie of Donegall Pass also had William Henry Currie in about 1854,  Ann Jane Currie in 1842 and Amelia Currie in about 1846.
The widowed William Curry (1812 - 1899) of Donegall Pass, a cloth passer aged 87, died in the Royal Hospital on 26th October 1899.  His grandson, Henry George Currie of 17 Maryville Street, was in attendance when he died.
The 'Belfast Newsletter' of 26th February 1889 had earlier noted the death of Mary Taylor Currie, wife of William Currie, at 52 Donegall Pass.

In 1894, John Currie was noted in the street directories as 'John Currie, apartments, Hibernia Terrace, Seacliff Road, Bangor.'
 In 1896 the family were living at 1 Princetown Road, Bangor, and later at 1 Hibernia Terrace from where John Currie wrote to the local paper to complain about the state of the Bangor water supply following several months of drought in the area:
   ‘Mr. John Currie, 1 Hibernia Terrace, writes to us as follows: As a resident of Bangor I ask the assistance of your valuable journal to ventilate a grievance which demands the serious consideration of the town commissioners. For some time past they have been aware of the fact that if rain was not forthcoming we were likely to be left without water, so our supply has been curtailed to an alarming extent, so much so, that for the past four days, water has not been able to make its way into my cistern.’

 By the time of the 1901 Census, the Currie family had moved again, this time to 10 Donaghadee Road, Bangor. They had a huge family - eight children - plus a French farm/domestic servant, Beatrice Midvinter, only 13 years old.   By 1911, they were living at 6 Park Road, Ormeau, Belfast and had 11 children.  I had terrible trouble tracking this family down on the census, purely because the name had been transcribed incorrectly to the internet as 'Cassie' by the National Archives.  It's very important to look at the original handwritten forms to double-check the information given. 
Spending the night with the Currie family in Bangor in 1911 was Annie Currie's widowed mother, Elizabeth Wilson, née Hynds.

Anna Bella Currie, née Wilson, died on 31st October 1934 at her home, Clough, Park Road, Belfast. ('Belfast Telegraph', 31st October 1935.)

John Currie, retired secretary of 59 Park Road, Belfast, died on 16th May 1941.  'The Northern Whig' of 20th May 1941 named the chief mourners at his funeral as sons James, Richard and Albert Currie, and son-in-law Norman Fulton.
Probate was granted to son Frederick John Currie, a worsted manufacturer, son-in-law James Norman Fulton, a director, and daughter Margaret Thomasina McCall Currie, spinster.

The children of John Currie and Annie Wilson were:

a) James Taylor Currie was born on 12th May 1889 at 22 Hartington Street to bookkeeper John Currie and Annie Wilson.  In the 1930s he was the secretary of the Ulster Cricket and Athletic Club whose headquarters were on the Ormeau Road.  A printer, James Taylor Currie, married a woman by the name of Edith Margaret who died at 39 Elaine Street on 16th march 1920;  her brother-in-law, F.J.Currie was present when she died.

b) Frederick John Currie, born 1891, Co. Down, was baptised as 'Frederick John Wilson Currie.'

c) George Herbert Browne Currie was born on 27th August 1892 at 1, Hibernia Terrace, Bangor, Co. Down.   George Herbert Brown Currie died on 10th November 1932 at 386 Lisburn Road, Belfast, and was survived by his widow, Elsie Marjorie Currie.  The 'Northern Whig' of 12th November 1932 named him as the 3rd son of Mr. and Mrs. John Currie of Park Road, Belfast. For the previous eight years he had been the manager of the Belfast branch of the London Assurance Company; an enthusiastic golfer, he was a member of the Bangor, Ormeau and Cliftonville Clubs.  He left a wife and daughter.

d) Albert Victor Currie was born 12th July 1894 at Hibernia Terrace, Bangor. On 14th December 1921 in St. John's, Newtownards, he married Mary Anne Irva Downey, the daughter of linen merchant
James Matthew Downey of Ravenhill Park;  the witnesses were William Edmund Farrell and Violet Edna Downey.

e) Florence Annie Currie was born 14th October 1895 at Hibernia Terrace.

f) Elizabeth Catherine Wilson Currie was born in the Samaritan Hospital, Belfast, on 9th November 1897.  On 3rd November 1921 in St. Thomas's, Belfast, Elizabeth Catherine Currie of Clough House, Park Road, Belfast, married William George Murphy, post office official, son of the late George Murphy.  This was witnessed by R. Murphy and John Currie.

g) Marguerita M'Caul Currie was born at Chelsea, Bangor, on 21st December 1899 and was named in her father's will as 'Margaret Thomasina McCall Currie.'

h) Albert Edward Currie was born on 23rd December 1900 at Chelsea, Bangor, Co. Down, as was his twin sister, Alexandra Victoria Currie, who died aged 12 months, at Chelsea, Bangor, on 29th December 1901.  It's odd that the Curries named two of their sons as 'Albert'.

i) Adeline May Gladys Currie was born on 27th May 1902, in Chelsea, Bangor, Co. Down; she was known as Mae Currie. On 23rd July 1931 in Knockbreda Church, she married Norman Fulton, son of Dr. and Mrs. Fulton of 'Woodbank', Ballygomartin Road, Belfast. ('Northern Whig', 31st July 1931.) Norman Fulton was one of the executors of his father-in-law's will.

j) Sarah Eileen McMurray Currie was born on 1st October 1905 at 23 Clifton Road, Bangor, Co. Down.

k) Marjorie Currie was born 15th October 1907 at 23 Clifton Road, Bangor; she was known as Georgia Currie.
The Currie family were buried in Plot A2-10 in the City Cemetery.  John Currie's father, William Currie, died aged 80 on 26th October 1899;  mother, Mary Currie, died at the Currie family home of 52 Donegall Pass aged 67 on 25th February 1899.   John Currie, their son, died at Clough Park Road, aged 85, on 16th May 1941, while his wife, Annie Currie, née Wilson, died aged 67 at 59 Park Road on 31st October 1934.

The adjacent plot - A2-11 - also holds members of the same Currie family:
Alexandra V. Currie, aged 12 months, died at Chelsea, Bangor, on 29th December 1901. Edith Margaret Currie died aged 31 at 12 Upper Crescent on 16th March 1920.  George Herbert Currie died aged 30 at 386 Lisburn Road on 10th November 1932 and James Taylor Currie died aged 70 at 5 Irwin Avenue on 5th October 1959.

John Currie had a brother, William Henry Currie, who died on 13th April 1931 at 52 Posnett Street, Belfast;  William Henry Currie was a bookkeeper, and probate of his will was granted to our John Currie, retired secretary.
William Henry Currie, linen lapper of 11 Elm Street and son of William Currie, married Jennie Heggan/Haggan/Hagan, the daughter of porter William Heggan of 59 Willow Street, on 20th February 1876 at Spamount Congregational Church, Shankill, Belfast.  This was witnessed by Samuel Kirkpatrick and Mary Jane McMillan.
In 1901, William Henry Currie was living at 9 Ireton St, Belfast, with his wife, Jennie, and his three sons, William Taylor Currie who had been born on 7th February 1877 at 19 Rosewood Street,  John Randolph Currie who had been born on 15th December 1878 at 19 Rosewood Street, and Henry George Currie born 24th May 1880 at Rosewood Street.  Both William Henry and two of his sons, John Randolph Currie and William Taylor Curry, were clerks in a linen warehouse, while the youngest son, Henry George, was a shipping clerk.

William Henry Currie and Jennie Hagan lost two daughters in infancy, both named Mary Taylor Currie after William's mother - in July 1888, Mary Taylor Currie died at Maryville Street, off Donegal Pass, aged 7 months and 10 days.  A second child of the same name died of croup later on 13th December 1891, aged 1 year and 8 months - she was noted as the only daughter of William Henry and Jennie Currie.

William Henry Currie's eldest son, William Taylor Currie, married Matilda Weir Graham of Tyrone in St. Mary Magdalene Church of Ireland, Shankill on 15th June 1905.
His son, John Randolph Currie, married a woman named Jane - John Randolph Curry died  on 21st April 1933 at the Purdysburn Nervous Hospital;  he was a bookkeeper, who had been living at the family home of 52 Posnett Street; administration of his will was granted to his widow, Jane Currie, who died in Posnett Street on 21st February 1938 - her will was administered by John's brother, Henry George Currie.
The son of William Henry Currie, Henry George Curry, married Margaret Deane, the daughter of the late William Deane, in Duncairn, Shankhill, Belfast, on 27th August 1914.  This was witnessed by John Russell and Annie Deane.

The family of William Henry Currie were buried in Plot L-128 in the City Cemetery. William Henry Currie died aged 78 at 52 Posnett Street on 13th April 1931.  Wife Jane Currie died aged 82 on 21st February 1938 also in Posnett Street where their son, John Rudolph Currie, aged 54, was living when he died on 21st April 1933.  Son William Taylor Currie died at 51 Lisburn Road/8 Pakenham Street, aged 75 on 31st January 1952.

Our paternal great-grandfather, Edward Leviolett Wilson, was born to Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds in Edenderry, Portadown, on 19th August 1872.

Samuel Wilson was born to Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds on 24th April 1874 in Edenderry,  Portadown, Armagh.  A salesman, he died of tuberculosis aged 22 on 6th June 1896 at 8 Cameron Street and was buried in the family plot - N4 73 - in Dundonald Cemetery.  His brother, Richard William Wilson of 8 Cameron Street was present at the death. The Belfast Newletter of 8th June noted that he died at his mother's home of 8 Cameron Streert.

Elizabeth (Lillie) Wilson Tees born to Edward Wilson and Elizabeth Hynds in Edenderry, Co. Armagh on 13th February 1876. Her father, Edward, was listed on the civil birth registration as a linen manufactuer.  She later witnessed the wedding in 1888 of her sister, Annie, to John Currie. On the 1901 Census, Lillie was living at home with her widowed mother, Elizabeth, at 40 Eblana Street, Cromac, Belfast.  She died aged 92 in La Jolla, California, on 17th April 1968 and was buried in the family plot in Dundonald Cemetery.  At some stage she had married a man by the name of 'Tees'.

William Wilson born to Edward Wilson (now a farmer) and Elizabeth Hynds on 2nd August 1877 in Edenderry, Portadown, Co. Armagh.  William was later known as Richard William Wilson and in 1901 was living at home at 40, Eblana Street, Cromac, Belfast, with his older brother, Edward Leviolett Wilson, his widowed mother, Elizabeth, and his sister Lillie. He was working in the linen industry. The details of the 1901 Census were as follows:

Elizabeth Wilson, aged 54, widow, born Dromore, Co. Down, keeping house.
Edward Wilson (ie: Edward Leviolett Wilson),son, aged 28, Methodist, Grocer, born Portadown.
Lillie Wilson, Daughter, aged 24, Draper, born Co. Antrim.
Richard Wilson (also known as Richard William Wilson), son, aged 23, in linen business, place of birth not given.
Florrie Curry (ie: Currie), granddaughter, aged 5, Church of Ireland, born Bangor.

Richard William Wilson of 40 Eblana Street married Mary Ingram of Doagh, Co. Antrim,  on 12th September 1905 in Ballylinney Presbyterian Church. The witnesses were David Ingram and Lillie Wilson.
In 1911, Richard William Wilson and Mary Ingram were living at 82 University Avenue, Cromac, Belfast and was working as a cashier.  The couple had two young children, Eileen May, born 2nd May 1906 at 162 University Avene, and Richard Norman Wilson, born 20th January 1911 at 82 University Avenue. 

The couple buried a stillborn child in the family plot in Dundonald Cemetery on 16th February 1909 - their address at this time was given as 162 University Avenue.

 Mary Ingram, who married Richard William Wilson, had been born on 14th February 1877 in Doagh, Antrim, to Robert Ingram and Hessy Hackney, who had married in Ballylinny Presbyterian Church on 17th June 1864.  Both parents were dead by the time of the 1901 Census;  the father's death was registered - he had been born in 1840 and died on 5th May 1893 in Doagh, Co.Antrim, where he had worked as a grocer.
The earlier 1901 Census shows Mary Ingram and some of her siblings living at 12 Doagh Town, Co. Antrim. The eldest sister was Jane Ingram,a postmistress aged 27.  Agnes was 25, Mary herself was 23, Maggie was 17, Edith or Edi was 14 and John was 12.   There was a second batch of Ingram siblings living at 51, Ballyclare, headed by Mary's older single brother, the spirit merchant Thomas Hugh Ingram, aged 28, who was living there with his sister, Elizabeth Ingram, a 21-yr-old seamstress. (By 1911, Thomas Hugh was a grocer in Doagh and was living with Edith and John, all unmarried.)     Yet another traceable brother was Robert Hackney Ingram, a grocer of Glengormley, who married a woman named Elizabeth A. J.  in Belfast in 1890, but died at 16 Shankill Rd., Belfast,  four years later on 1st June 1894. 

The family of Richard William Wilson and Mary Ingram were buried in plot D1-196 in Dundonald Cemetery.  Richard William Wilson died aged 57 at 82 University Avenue on 25th April 1933. His wife, Mary Wilson, died aged 72 at 47 Onslow Parade on 18th December 1947.  Their son, Richard Norman Wilson died aged 89 at 3 Ravensdene Park on 30th May 2000.  A possible son to Richard Norman Wilson was Norman D. Wilson who died aged only 21 at 47a Onslow Parade on 13th May 1966.

The Hynds family of Skillyscolban:
Elizabeth Catherine Hynds Wilson, who had married Edward Wilson in 1865 in Dromore, died at Clough Park Road - the home of her daughter, Annie Currie - on 23rd August 1922, having survived her late husband by 44 years. 

She was known to regularly make the trip home from Belfast to Drumaghadone by horse and trap to collect poultry for the household from the family farm there.  She was most likely visiting her brother, John Hynds, who farmed in Skillyscolban/Drumaghadone and who died in 1920.  Her sister, Ann Jane Hynds (1836 - 1913) lived unmarried in the nearby town of Dromore.

John Hynds, Elizabeth's brother, had been married to an American woman, Mary Jane, but she had died by the time of the 1911 census which also states that none of their children had been born alive. As a young man, John was an active Orangeman. He was fined when he was 15 or 16 by the Dromore Petty Sessions in 1854 for throwing stones.  Later in 1860 he was arrested and fined for marching on the 12th July:
'John Hinds, Skillyscolban, Andrew McCormick, Ednego, William Copeland, Kilmacrew, Robert Seed, Kilmacrew, John Graham, Ednego and Hugh Adams, Kilmacrew, appeared to answer the complaint of sub-inspector Henry L. Owens, for that they did at Ballela and Ednego on the 12th July 1860, unlawfully assembled themselves together, and did meet and parade and join in a procession, and did bear and wear and have amongst them, banners, flags, emblems and symbols, and were accompanied by persons playing music. Such display and music being calculated and tending to provoke animosity between different classes of her Majesty’s subjects.
The case was made returnable to the Spring assizes and the magistrates agreed to accept bail, themselves in £10 and two sureties of £5 the appearance of each of the defendants.'

Elizabeth Wilson of Drumaghadone, Dromore, was present when her brother, widowed farmer John Hinds (sic) died aged 82 in Drumaghadone, Dromore, on 3rd November 1920.

Ann Jane Hynds, sister of Elizabeth Wilson, died at Meeting Street, Dromore, on 9th May 1913; her sister, Elizabeth Wilson of 3 Delhi Street, Belfast, was there when she died.

Their father, Richard Hynds (1809 - 1899) appeared on Griffiths Valuation of 1863,  leasing 14 acres of land, a house, outbuildings and a share of bog, from the landlord Thomas E. J. Henry.  He was subletting two houses to a Robert Martin and a Hugh Dickson on his property.   Richard Hynds died aged 91 in Skillyscolvan on 12th April 1899; son John Hynds was present.

Elizabeth's sister, Isabella Hynds (1844 - 10th January 1894), married a widowed soldier, William Bole (1838ish - 3rd August 1918), in Dromore First Presbyterian Church on 2nd November 1869. The witnesses to the wedding were Elizabeth (Wilson?) and John Hynds who was the bride's brother. William Bole was the son of Archibald Bole - an Archibald Bole was leasing land in Balleny, Co. Down in 1834.

William Boal had been born in 1838 in the parish of Magherally, Banbridge, Co. Down, to Archibald Boal.  He joined the army aged 20 on 17th July 1858 and served subsequently in the Durham Light Infantry or 106th Regiment of Foot.  His British army records show that he served 7.5 years in the East Indies, and was discharged from military service in Athlone on 15th June 1880.

Sergeant William Boal of the 106th Regiment, son of Archibald Boal, married as his first wife, Kate Hanrahan, the daughter of Michael Hanrahan, in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Nuseerabab, Bengal, India, on 29th November 1866.  One of the witnesses to William Boal's first marriage was an A.Boal, who seems to have been William's brother, Archibald - a Sergeant Archibald Boal of the 106th Regiment died of phthisis (tuberculosis) aged only 23 in Lahore on 1st September 1867 and was buried there the following day.

William Boal must have returned home to the Dromore area, since he married Isabella Hynds there on 2nd November 1869.

William Boal, aged 82, died at 15 Parkend Street on 3rd August 1918; his son, Archibald Boal of 71 Fortwilliam Parade, was present.

Isabella Hynds and William Bole had at least seven children together:

1) Archibald Bole was born in 1873 in India (the Family Search website notes the birth on 1st October 1873 in Jhansie, Bengal, of a William John Boal to William and Isabella Boal, but they might have changed the child's name soon after) and would marry, on 28th August 1905, Hannah M. Sloan, the daughter of a Belfast gardener, William Sloan. The witnesses were James Sloan and Mary E. Boal.   In 1918 he was living at 71 Fortwilliam Parade.

2) David Hynds Boal was born in 1874 on the Isle of Wight, Hampshire, and would later marry Annie Flannigan of 139 York Street, Belfast, daughter of a butcher Hamilton Flannigan, in St. Anne's, Belfast, on 20th August 1902.  David Boal was noted as a watchmaker; the witnesses were Robert Gamble and Margaret Graham.

3) Samuel Boal 1875 - 1883.

4) Isabella Boal who was born in 1878 in Manchester.

5) William Boal, a soldier who was born in 1880 and who died at Edinburgh Castle on 11th January 1904.

6) Mary E. Boal born 1883.

7) Thomas Boal who was born at 74 Earl Street, Belfast, on 11th September 1884.

The Boal family had a family burial plot in Dromore Presbyterian Churchyard.

Following his discharge from the military, William Boal worked as a church sexton in Belfast.

Isabella Boal, née Hynds, died on 10th January 1894 aged 50 at 10 Regent Street, Belfast, and William Boal married for a third time, his final wife being Mary McBriar, the daughter of John McBriar and Mary Jamison.  The marriage took place on 29th April 1901 in Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church, Belfast.

A recent DNA test shows me to be distantly related to a number of people who descend from Richard Hinds and Jane Harrison of Balleny, Dromore, Co. Down.  I went through the register of Dromore Church of Ireland in the Public Records Office in Belfast, and came across some of the baptisms of this couple's children.  
George Hinds, the son of Richard Hinds and Jane Harrison, was baptised on April 25th 1784.
On 23rd January 1790,  Elizabeth, the daughter of Richard Hinds and Jane Harrison, was baptised in Balleny.
Jane, the daughter of Richard Hinds and Jane Harrison was baptised in Lisneward, Dromore, on September 9th 1792.   Lisneward townland is directly adjacent to Scillyscolban and Drumaghadone townlands where our Hinds ancestors were farming later, which further strengthens the argument for a family link here.

Fellow researchers on, who share a DNA link with me, uncovered Richard Hinds who had been born to Richard Hinds and Jane Harrison in  Dromore on 26 May 1782, and who died in 2nd October 1862 in Butlers County, Pennsylvania, having married  Elizabeth Brannan and having reared a large family in the US - Francis Hines (1815 - before 1885), William Boston Hines (1815 - 31 Mar 1878),  Alexander M Hines (1818 - 16 Jul 1868), Thomas Hines (6 Jan 1821 - 24 Nov 1862),
George H Hines  (circa 1826 - 31 Jul 1893), Elijah G. Hines  (September 1827 - 1905), Elenor Jane Hines  (circa 1830 - 1877),  Isaiah Hines  (1833 - Apr 1836),  Mary Elizabeth Hines  (July 1838 - 1912),  Richard Hines (born circa 1841) and Edward Hines (born circa 1851).

The excellent 'Surnames' database on Ros Davies' website records several other Hynds of Balleny, who were likewise christened in Dromore Church of Ireland church, but who I must have overlooked when I was browsing the register in Belfast - a Robert Hynds and Sarah Watson baptised their son, George, there on 1st February 1836,  followed by daughters, Elizabeth, on 5th October 1844 and Sarah Ann on 10th August 1845.
Susan Hynds, and her husband John McAdam, also of Balleny, baptised Jane in 1809 and Mary in 1816 in Dromore Church of Ireland Cathedral.
George Hinds and Isabella Cotter of Balleny were the parents of Samuel Stuart Hinds who had been born on 4th March 1804.

Balleny was also the townland associated with William Boal's father, Archibald Boal, who was farming there in the 1830s.
(The Dromore Church register also records the baptism of Anne Jane, the daughter of Alexander McKoan and Isabella Hinds  on April 29th 1792.)

Other possible Hynds family members who were mentioned in Griffiths land Valuation of 1863 were George Hynds of nearby Drumskee and Robert Hynds of Drumskee although this is purely conjecture on my part.

Wednesday, 21 September 2011

William Westby Pennefather and Emma Hay

Much of the following information and photographs were researched by and kindly sent to me by Michael Richardson, a direct descendent of Emma Hay's sister, Frances.  I have added further information as I find it.

We descend directly from John Pennefather, the son of Edward Pennefather of Wellington, Templeogue. John’s brother was William Westby Pennefather who had been born to Edward and Eliza Pennefather in Dublin circa 1833.

William Westby Pennefather married Emma Hay, the daughter of an engineer Alexander Hay, in St. Thomas’s Church, Dublin, on 3rd June 1856. William gave his address as Clontarf, presumably 15 Fairview Avenue, while Emma gave her address as 17 Newcomen Place. The witnesses were Emma’s brother, David A. Hay and her sister Eliza Hay. Both William and his father, Edward Pennefather, are noted as ‘gentlemen’, this despite the fact they both worked!
William was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin on 11th March 1858 - he was admitted by birth, his father having been admitted in 1810.  His address was given as 1, Hacketts Buildings, North Strand, and William was working as a commercial clerk.
William and Emma spent some time in Waterford, before heading to Liverpool, then finally to Bermondsey, London.
William appeared on the English 1871 census as a draper’s assistant. Ten years later on the 1881 census he was a ‘traveller in woollens’, later still he worked for the railways.

The children of William Westby Pennefather and Emma Hay were as follows:

Edward Pennefather 1857 - 1942 (See photo below) :  Born in Dublin, he later married Fanny Elizabeth Barton (1855 - 1926) at Christchurch, Rotherhithe on 5th April 1885. Edward, like his father, worked as a woollen draper. On 19th August 1888, the couple baptised a daughter, Constance, in St. Luke's Church, Battersea - she would be recorded in 1911 as a student in Bishop Otter College for training of school mistresses in Colchester. She married Charles F. Atwood in 1940 and died in Barnstaple in 1981.

Edward Pennefather

Eleanor Pennefather (1859 - 1938). Born in Dublin, she later married Fanny’s brother, George Samuel Barton (born 1857) who worked as a mercantile clerk. The wedding took place in Bermondsey on 2nd August 1884. They had four children: Montague Leslie (born 1886, Camden)  who married Florence Kench; Dorothy Frances  (born 1889 in Brixton)  married Bernard Hughes; Gladys Irene (born 1896 in Brixton) married Maurice Nolan; Eva Victoria (born 1898 in Brixton) married Angus McKenzie in 1929 - they had a son, Alastair, in 1932.
George Samuel Barton died in Pontresina, Switzerland, on 23 August 1923, leaving a substantial estate of £2000.

Alexander Pennefather (1861 - 1903). Born in Dublin, he later married Eliza Jane Flint on 15th July 1899. On both the 1891 and 1901 censuses, however, his wife is recorded as being the Australian-born Sophia. Alexander was an outfitter’s assistant and a sharp dresser as can be seen from the following photo.

Alexander Pennefather died at 47 Bonham Road, Brixton, on 6th December 1903, and the executor of his will was named as E.J. Pennefather, presumably his wife Eliza Jane Pennefather, née Flint. 47 Bonham Road was where Alexander was living in 1901 with his wife Sophia.  Odd.
Alexander Pennefather
David Pennefather born circa 1863 in Waterford. (Griffiths Valuation of 1850 shows an Edward Pennefather as the owner of one acre of land in Ballydonagh townland in Co. Waterford, although it's more likely that William Westby Pennefather was working in Waterford at the time of his son's birth.)
David married Louisa Grace Bullivant at St. Mary Magdalene, Peckham on 9th November 1891. Louisa Grace Bullivant had been born to Richard and Sarah Anne Bullivant on 10th October 1869 in St. George in the East, London. In 1891 the UK census showed her visiting the family of Thomas E. Frampton in Camberwell but there was no sign of David Pennefather.  In 1901 she was at 184 Crystal Palace Road in Camberwell, but David was similarly missing.  Louisa Grace died in Southwark in 1904, and David married again, this time to Marguerite Ada Wright in 1912 in Wandsworth.
David died on 13th January 1913 and was buried at Norwood Cemetery - the register mentions that he was ‘removed from London Hospital’. His will gives his wife’s name as Marguerite Ada Pennefather.

William Pennefather was born in Liverpool in 1866 and died circa 1936. He married Jessie Ruth Holt at St. Jude’s, Peckham on 4th September 1897. By 1901 William was a railway clerk; his wife, Jessie, was working in the rag trade as an ‘underclothing merchant - working from home. By 1911 Jessie was living with her brother, William Holt, while William was a patient at the Camberwell Workhouse Infirmary. His employment was given as a ‘clerk (railway claims), Great Northern Railway. Following the death of her husband, Jessie Pennefather married Arthur Warner in 1935 but died two years later in 1937.

Emma Pennefather was born 1868 in Bermondsey and died in Peckham in 1937:
  'Pennefather, Emily of 39 McKerrell Road, Peckham, Surrey, spinster, died 12 July 1937 at 5 Brunswick Square, Camberwell, Surrey.  Administration London 28 July to Eleanor Barton, widow.  Effects £68 18s.'
Her name in the Calendar of Wills was transcribed as Emily, rather than Emily, but the Electoral lissts for London for 1936 confirms that Emma Pennefather was living at 39 McKerrall Road.  In the years leading up to her death, she lived in a variety of places in the same area. Her sister, Eleanor Barton, would die the following year.

Notes on the Family of Emma Hay:

Alexander Hay is believed to be the son of David Hay and Mary King who married in St. Anne's, Dublin, on 11th March 1796.  Betham's extracts record David Hay as living in the Barracks, Dublin, while Mary King was of the parish of St. Anne's.  Children of the marriage are recorded as follows:

  • Alexander Hay, baptised St. Paul's, on 22nd June 1798.
  • Peter Craig Hay, baptised St. Paul's, on 15th July 1800.
  • David Switzer Hay, baptised St. Paul's, on 10th June 1804. (Possibly known later as James S. Hay.)   The son of James Switzer Hay, David Alexander Hay of 23 South Anne Street, was admitted to the Dublin Freemen on 29th May 1857 by birth, being the grandson of David Hay who had been admitted earlier in 1801. 
  • Mountiford John Hay, baptised St. Paul's, 3rd July 1808, and named for an earlier member of the family, Mountiford John Hay, sheriff of Dublin city, and architect/builder, who developed most of Blessington Street and who worked on the Mansion House, the residence of the Dublin Lord Mayor.  
Alexander Hay, engineer of Dublin,  who worked alongside Alexander Nimmo on public works, including Cleggan Pier, Co. Galway, and possibly further public works in Co. Kerry, married Eleanor McDonagh who was possibly born in Galway.
Alexander Hay's nephew, David Alexander Hay, (son of James Switzer Hay of Galway) would later prove the will of a gentleman, William McDonagh, of Portland, Tipperary, who died in London in 1846.  It is worth noting that Portland is in Portumna, on the border between Galway and Tipperary.   A McDonagh family of Portumna were associated with Willmount House there, including Allen McDonough (various spellings) a famous steeplechaser of the early 19th century.   Alexander Hay and Eleanor McDonagh named a son as Alan Hay.

Alexander was noted in the 1820s at Dominick St., Galway city, as was a Mrs. McDonagh.  He was later noted as living in Clontarf, North Dublin, in 1849, but disappears from known records at that point.
The Landed Estates Court Rentals 1850 - 1885, viewable on the Find My Past website, noted that Alexander Hay was a tenant at numbers 16 and 17, Lady Shea's Plot, Shantallagh, Galway (the lower end of the street being Dominick Street), and that he had taken the lease out on 23rd December 1826 from John Whaley.

The 'Northern Whig' of 30th April 1832 ran an advertisement for Alexander Hay's services, and noted that he was, in 1832, living at 27 James Street in Belfast.  "A Card - Alexander Hay - Architect and Civil Engineer - In soliciting the patronage of the Public, he assures them that, from his long experience in the business, together with his connexion, for ten years with the late Mr. Alexander Nimmo....he is fully competent to undertake any Business in his Line...27 James Street, Belfast. April 30th."

The Children of Alexander Hay and Eleanor McDonagh were:
1) Mary Hay, born circa 1822, possibly in Galway while her father was working there. She married Richard Coote MD, the youngest son of Sir Charles Coote of Baggot St., on 22nd July 1843, in St. Mary's.  Mary Hay was living at the time at 25 Blessington Street - the 'Belfast Newsletter' of 14th August 1843 noted that the bride was the eldest daughter of Alexander Hay of Villa, Co. Galway.

The witnesses to the 1843 wedding of Mary Hay and Richard Coote MD were Charles Coote (Richard Coote's father or brother) and Wardle Ivy Sterling who was related to one of Mary's late relations, Mountiford John Hay, an architect of Dublin who built, not only Dublin's Mansion House, but also the greater part of Blessington Street where Mary Hay was living when she married Richard Coote.

Architect Mountiford John Hay's daughter Matilda Hay, married solicitor Paul Ivy Sterling (1804 - 1879) of Queen's County, in St. Anne's in January 1828 who would later serve as a Judge of the Supreme Court in Ceylon.  Paul Ivy Sterling - sometimes known as Paul Joy Sterling - was the son of Rev. Joseph Sterling of Gillfield, Mountrath, Queen's County, as was Mary Elizabeth Sterling who died aged 70 on 10th September 1864 in Leeson Street.
(The 'Dublin Morning Register' of 11th November 1826 reported the death of Eliza Anne Hay, the second daughter of Montiford John Hay of Molesworth Street, aged 22.)

There were two Wardle Ivy Sterlings, one born in Marino Crescent, Dublin in  1811, a solicitor of the Court of Queen's Bench Common Pleas and Exchequer in Ireland, who married Sarah of Mountrath, Queen's County,  and who was most likely the man who witnessed the wedding of Mary Hay and Richard Coote, and also Wardle Ivy Sterling, born in June 1837 to Matilda Hay and Paul Ivy Sterling, and who, in 1849, was awarded a First Class Certificate at his school in Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire.

The children of Matilda Hay and Paul Ivy Sterling were:
Matilda Sterling born at 124 Stephen's Green in 1829.
Mountiford John Sterling born at 11 Upper Rutland Street on 30th March 1832.
Twins Eliza Ann and Paul Alexander Sterling, born at 11 Upper Rutland Street on 9th April 1834 - on 20th and 21st April 1835, both the twins died.
Wardle Ivy Sterling, born 21st June 1837.
William Robert Sterling, solicitor, born circa 1843, and who was noted later as the only son of Paul Ivy Sterling.

In January 1857 in Stephen's Green, J.W. Sterling, the eldest son of Hon. Paul Ivy Sterling of Ceylon, died.

Matilda Sterling, daughter of Mountiford John Hay of Dublin, and wife of Paul Ivy Sterling, died on 30th August 1866 at Lower Brunswick Street, Brighton.  Her husband, Paul Ivy Sterling, was living with his son, William Robert Sterling, in Hanover Square, London, in 1871.  William would be the executor of his father's will when he died in 1879.

Richard Coote MD, husband of Mary Hay,  died on the 8th October 1856 at Hollybrook, Donegal. The youngest son of Richard Coote MD and of Mary Hay was Mervyn Richard Coote who died, aged 11 years and 8 months, on 14th March 1862 at Martello Cottage, Williamstown (Blackrock, Co. Dublin?) - his late father had previously lived at Dunkaneely/Dunkineely, Co. Donegal.    Richard Coote had a brother,  the surgeon, William Coote MD,  who also lived at Hollybrook, Killybegs and Dunkineely, Co. Donegal, in 1846.
William Coote MD was involved in a dispute with his own father in 1830 over the ownership of clothes! His father stated that he had lived in Baggot Street since about 1810, and that his son, William, was aged 30 and currently living in Wicklow....William, however, was noted in 1837 as being of both Baggot Street and of Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.   He was married to Anna Maria Smyth, the 2nd daughter of Mr. Smyth of Harcourt Street.   William Coote, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, died on 11th May 1859 at 13 Tritonville Avenue, Sandycove, Dublin.

Sir Charles Coote of Baggot St:
Both William and Richard Coote were the sons of Sir Charles Coote of 91 Lower Baggot St., Dublin, the illegitemate son of the first and last Earl of Bellamont, Coolany, Co. Sligo, also named Charles Coote whose title, which had been created in 1777,  had died out on his death for want of a legitimate heir.    Sir Charles, Earl of Bellamont, had married, on 20th August 1774, Emilia Maria Mary Fitzgerald, the daughter of James Fitzgerald, the Duke of Leinster, with whom he had the one son, who died young in 1786.   His illegitemate son, Sir Charles Coote of Baggot Street was considered to be the son of a Rebecca Palmer or Sheldon.   The Earl of Bellamont was a busy man,  having had eleven other children by five different women, not including his successor, Sir Charles of Baggot Street.   He lived at Coote Hill, Co. Cavan, and was related to the Cootes of Ballyfin.

Sir Charles Coote of Baggot Street succeeded his father in 1800.
In 1837, Mary Anne, the wife of Sir Charles Coote, died in Baggot Street of flu.  This was Mary Richardson who Sir Charles had married before 1798.
As well as the two doctors, Richard and William, Sir Charles of Baggot Street had a son who succeeded him, Rev. Sir Charles Coote of Donnybrook who had been born in about 1798, and who died in Sandycove, near Dunlaoghaire, aged 68 on 5th November 1861;  his will was proved by his widow, Helen Mellefont Coote of Rathmines Road.  His successor was his son Sir Charles Algernon Coote who had been born in 1847 and who was married to Elizabeth Coote who died in Dublin aged 57 in June 1913.

As mentioned above, a son of Mary Hay and Richard Coote MD was  Mervyn Richard Coote who died, aged 11 years and 8 months, on 14th March 1862 at Martello Cottage, Williamstown, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
Another son of Mary Hay and Richard Coote MD was Charles Anthony Coote (1846 - 1890), who, when he died in September 1890, was noted as the eldest and last surviving son of Richard Coote MD of Hollybrook, Co. Donegal.
The second daughter of Mary Hay and Richard Coote MD was Ida Marion Coote, who married John
Moore Hovenden, JP, DL, of Queen's County, the son of Charles Warner Hovenden, and grandson of Arthur Aylmer Hovenden, in St. George's, on 15th September 1888.  One of the witnesses was Ida Marion's sister, Charlotte Emily Coote.
John Moore Hovenden died at 16 Lower Beechwood Avenue, Dublin, on 16th December 1895, with probate to his brother, the mineral water manufactuer, Pierce Giles Hovenden of Spencer Villa, Moyne Road.
The widowed Ida Marion Hovenden (1866 -1930) was living here at 16 Lower Beechwood Avenue with her unmarried sister, Charlotte Emily Coote (1854 - 1932), and her stepson, the solicitor's clerk Henry Charles Hovenden (18th March 1885 - 1917).   They were also there in 1901; however the 1901 census return for Lower Beechwood Avenue was never filmed and is therefore not searchable online.

As already noted above, Ida Marion Coote had married John Moore Hovenden, the second son of Charles Warner Hovenden of Ballylehane, Queen's County.   Charles Warner Hovenden had been born in 1817 to Moore Hovenden and Julia Warner.  He married his first cousin, Anne Hovenden, the daughter of Arthur Aylmer Hovenden.

John Moore Hovenden was born on 2nd January 1846 to Charles Warner hovenden and Anne Hovenden;  he married, firstly, Susan Sarah Robinson, the duaghter of Thomas Robinson, and had two children, Henry Charles Hovenden (18th March 1885 - 1917) who was living later with his widowed stepmother at Lower Beechwood Avenue, and Anne Margaret Sophie Hovenden who married her first cousin, Piers/Percy Aylmer Hovenden Torney.   Following the death of first wife, Susan Sarah Robinson, John Moore Hovenden married Ida Marion Coote.  A shortlived daughter was Ethel Sybil Hovenden (27th January 1891 - 30th December 1894).

John Moore Hovenden's brother, Pierce Giles Hovenden, was born on 19th February 1847, and married, on 15th November 1879, Elizabeth, daughter of James George - they had Herbert, Edith Anne, Florinda, Violet and Raby.

John Moore Hovenden's sister was Anne Butler Hovenden who married, on 15th August 1875, Thomas Stanley Torney.  They were cousins.  Their son, Piers/Percy Aylmer Hovenden Torney, born in 1888, also married his cousin,  Anne Margaret Sophia, the daughter of John Moore Hovenden and Susan Sarah Robinson - they settled in Belfast where Anne Margaret Sophia died on 20th June 1947 at 6 Loopland Gardens. She was survived by her husband, civil servant Piers Aylmer Hovenden Torney.

Another sister of John Moore Hovenden was Julia Hovenden who married Rev. James Robert Ffolliott of Warrenpoint on 4th December 1867.   James Robert Ffolliot died on 1st April 1874 at Moira, Co. Down, and was noted then as the Rector of Moira, and late incumbent of Warrenpoint. His widow Julia was living in Arless, Queen's County, in 1901, which is where her father, Charles Warner Hovenden had died on 28th September 1889 aged 72.  Julia was living with her son, William Hovenden Ffolliot who had been born in Down in 1872, and a daughter, Catherine, who would marry Henry Ralph Osborne. She had had two other daughters - Ethel Maude Ffolliot and Florinda who would later marry John Marshall Bolton.

2) Charles Hay,  born in the 1820s and believed by the family to have emigrated to Philadelphia.

3) William Hay, born 23rd September 1828 in Galway, baptised 20th October 1828.

4) Alan Hay, born circa 1830.  Named - possibly - for Alan McDonough of Portumna?

5) Mountiford David Hay, born circa 1833 in Galway.  In 1851 he was working as a Port Office clerk in London.  On 30th May 1865 in St. Giles' Church, Bloomsbury, he married Eliza Kernidge/Kernage, the daughter of Henry Kernidge of London.
A son was Mountiford Henry Hay, born 10th June 1866, who married Mary Louisa Sage Beecher in 1888 and who had a subsequent daughter, Phyllis Hay, on 6th March 1889. Phyllis Hay married a man by the name of Leigh, then, secondly, Raymond S. Dane.

By 1881, Mountiford David Hay was working as a dentist and medical assistant while resident with his father-in-law.  Mountiford David Hay of 1 Little Chapel Street, Victoria Street, Westminster, petitioned for divorce in February 1881 on the grounds that his wife, Eliza, had been having an affair with Robert John Hall, and was now - in 1881 - living with him in the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.  They married in 1882.

Following divorce from his wife, Mountiford David Hay died in Hanover Square on 22nd June 1881.

6) Eliza Hay, born circa 1835.  She married Richard Benjamin (sometimes Betson) Ince, of the Bank of Ireland in Cork, on 25th July 1860 in St. Thomas's.

Richard Benjamin/Betson Ince had been born in 1840 to the solicitor John Ince of Mountmellick, Queen's County, and of Holles Street, Dublin;  Richard's mother was Caroline Cooke - John Ince married Caroline Cooke/Cook of North Ann Street, Dublin, on 8th July 1834;  the three witnesses were Nicholas Bettson Cooke, a member of the Colles family, and a member of the Evans family.    Nicholas Bettson Cooke, an ironmonger, was living at 23 d'Olier Street in 1845 when his wife, Nanny, gave birth to a daughter named after her mother. This couple had plentiful children in Dublin. Caroline Cooke and Nicholas Betson/Bettson Cooke were most likely the children of John Benjamin Cooke who married Frances Bettson on 11th December 1799 in Dublin.   Frances Cooke was the daughter of Captain Nicholas Bettson of Carlow.

Richard Benjamin Ince's father, the solicitor John Ince, died at  Mountmellick and was buried there on 25th April 1848.  In 1850, Caroline Cooke was noted at Pound St, Mountmellick.

The children of John Ince and of Caroline Cooke were, along with Richard Benjamin Cooke - Rev. John Cook Ince, who moved to England, and who proved the will of his brother, Rev. Charles Frederick Ince who died at Glanmire, Cork on 25th August 1905.   Walter Henry Ince was the 4th son of John Ince of Mountmellick - he died young aged 24 at 12 Phillipsburgh Avenue on 12th October 1870.   A sister, Elizabeth Ince, married Rev. John Christian McCullagh in 1865 in Christchurch, Australia.

Richard Benjamin Ince and his wife, Eliza Hay, emigrated to Cleveland, Ohio, where Richard died on 6th June 1920.  He was, however, buried in London, Ontario, Canada.
A daughter, Florence Caroline Ince,  who had been born in London, England, in 1863, died aged 73 at 1705 East 85th Street, Cleveland Ohio, on  22nd November 1936.
Percy Ince was born to Richard Benjamin Ince and Eliza Hay in Cork on 24 January 1867.
Another daughter was Madeline Frances Ince, who had been born in Dublin on 14 Nov 1870.
Eleanor Ince was born in Toronto, Canada, on 06 Jan 1879.  Evelyn Ince,  was born in 1885 in Toronto, and died unmarried on 20 Dec 1945.  A son was Mountiford John Ince who married Jemima Truesdell on 3rd August 1891 in Brantford, Ontario;  Jemima was the daughter of Neil and Sarah Truesdell.

The Ince Family 1891, courtesy of Michael Richardson.

7) Emma Hay, born circa 1836, who married William Westby Pennefather on 3rd June 1856 in St. Thomas's.

8) Ellen Hay, born circa 1840.  Ellen Hay, 3rd daughter of the late Alexander Hay of Dublin, married, in St. Thomas's, Dublin,  her first cousin, David Alexander Hay, the son of the late James Switzer Hay of Galway on 12th September 1860. (From 'Dublin Evening Mail,' 17th September 1860.)

David Alexander Hay of 23 South Anne Street was admitted to the Dublin Freemen on 29th May 1857 by birth, being the grandson of David Hay who had been admitted earlier in 1801.

David A. Hay was the Clerk of the Crown and Hanaper; he died of TB on 6th April 1874.   At one point he lived at 5 Waterloo Buildings, Dublin.

David Alexander Hay and Ellen Hay had:

a) Emma Frances Hay - born in 1862, Emma Frances Hay married  the Cork-born James O'Brien of the Inland Revenue, son of a farmer James O'Brien, in Sligo town on 7th September 1888.  The witnesses were Ellen Lindsay and the bride's sister Maude Isabel Hay.   James O'Brien and Emma Frances Hay had two children in Derry - Lilly Eleanor O'Brien on 8th August 1889, and James O'Brien.  Five children were subsequently born in Dublin - John in 1896, Annie Kathleen in 1897 and Percy O'Brien in Skerries on 24th January 1898.   The family were living in 1901 at 105 Great Strand Street in Dublin, but had disappeared by the time of the 1911 census ten years later. 

b) Annie Florence Hay who was born on 12th July 1863 at Elm Lodge, Drumcondra, who died in 1934, and married on 23rd August 1890, the Offaly-born John Glover, the witnesses being Percy Alexander Hay and Joseph Glover. Both the bride and groom's fathers were dead by this time.   
Joseph Glover, the witness at the wedding, was John Glover's younger brother, both of them the sons of John Glover and Mary Anne or Marianne Dann, who had married in Tullamore, King's County, on 20th January 1854.  John Glover of Tullamore might have been a member of the R.I.C. since a sub-constable of this name was stationed in the area at this time.  John Glover's father was an earlier John Glover, while Mary Anne was the daughter of Joseph and Jennie Dann.   An elderly Marianne Glover, aged 69, was living in William Street Tullamore, with her daughter, Hanna Glover, in 1901;  later, in 1911, Mary Glover, aged 80, was living with her son John Glover and his wife, Annie Florence Hay, in Rathmines.
The two sons of John Glover and Mary Anne Dann, John and Joseph Glover, settled in Dublin and were living immediately next door to each other in both 1901 and 1911.  In 1901, the two were living with their respective families on Lower Gardiner Street, John in flat 45.1 and Joseph in 45.2.  By 1911 the brothers, both commercial travellers, had moved south into the suburbs of Dublin and were at 11 and 12 Belgrave Square in Rathmines.
John Glover and Annie Florence Hay had a daughter, Annie May Glover, at 7 Bachelors Walk, on 27th December 1891, but she didn't survive and they had no further children.
On 17th December 1891, brother Joseph Glover married Sarah Ramsey, daughter of the late William H. Ramsey of Kilbeggan , Co. Westmeath.  They had Olive Marie Glover on 13th October 1892, who died in San Francisco on 10th September 1963, Ralph Glover, later a merchant seaman, Hubert Ramsey Glover born 1906, and Ruth Alexander Glover born 1903.

c) Lilian Mary Hay, born 28th July 1866 in Rathmines, Co. Dublin, and who died on 22nd May 1882 at the Masonic Girls School, Burlington Road.

d) Percy Alexander Hay, born 10th February 1868 in Rathmines, married in the Church of St. Phillip and St. James, in Booterstown, Co. Dublin, on 6th June 1900, Edith Mabel, the eldest daughter of the late Herbert Percival Affleck-Graves of the Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, and of Mrs. Affleck-Graves of Blackrock, Co. Dublin. ('Warder and Dublin Weekly Mail', 16th June 1900.)    Ethel Mabel Afflick/Affleck-Graves had been born in Westport on 6th January 1874 to Herbert Patrick Afflick-Graves and to Elizabeth Hamilton Bland;  present at the birth was a relation, Charlotte Bland of High Street, Westport, Co. Mayo.

Percy Alexander Hay was an official with the railway.  He and Edith Maude Afflick-Graves had children.   Vera Maude Hay was born on 23rd May 1901 at Phoenix Lodge, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.  On 24th September 1924 she married a Castlebar engineer, Edward John Beresford Gahan, the son of F.G.Townsend Gahan, an inspector with the Irish Commission.     
Vera's younger sister was Edith Lilian Hay who had been born on 16th November 1902 at 22 Portland Place, and who married, on 5th October 1927 in Portarlington, the doctor William Joseph Hogan, son of M.D. Eugene F. Hogan.  Muriel F. Gahan and William Callanan were the witnesses.

A short-lived brother was Kenneth Hay, who died of diphtheria, aged only one year, on 2nd January 1914 at Royal Canal House, Broadstone.

Percy Alexander Hay died of influenza on 17th May 1924;  his widow, Edith Mabel Hay, née Afflick-Graves, died on 28th November 1940 in Portarlington at the home of her married daughter Lilian Edith Hogan.

e) Maude Isabel (Mollie) Hay, born circa 1872, who married in 1893, Robert Joseph Nolan (1859 - 1919). In 1901 Robert Joseph Nolan was the manager of the London and Leicester Window Cleaning Company.  The couple had two sons by this time - John Nolan who had been born in Ireland in about 1896 and Maurice Burkitt Nolan (1900 - 1978).
In 1911, Robert Joseph Nolan and Maude Isabel Hay were living in Leicestershire with one of their five living children, 3-year-old Eileen Patricia Nolan.  Dublin-born Robert Joseph Nolan was a commercial traveller in the oil trade and had been born in about 1859.  The couple's two sons, John and Maurice Nolan were at boarding school in Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland.   
Maurice Nolan married his relation, Gladys Irene Barton, the couple's grandmothers, Emma Pennefather and Ellen Barton, being sisters.
Robert Joseph Nolan had been born in Dublin in 1859 to the builder, John Joseph Nolan, and to his second wife, Diana Burkitt, who had married in the Anglican St. Anne's, Dublin, on 28th August 1845. A widower and son of Richard Nolan, John Joseph Nolan had previously been married to Eliza Allen. The witness to this earlier Catholic marriage in St. Andrew's on 21st September 1842, was the groom's future wife Diana Burkitt.   The builder John Joseph Nolan and his second wife, Diana Burkitt had two known children - Robert Joseph Nolan who married Maude Isabel Hay in 1893, and Elizabeth Nolan who married John Christopher King on 28th November 1885 - this was witnessed by Elizabeth's brother, Robert Joseph Nolan.
Diana Burkitt, the mother of Robert Joseph and Elizabeth Nolan and wife of builder John Joseph Nolan, was the daughter of the military surgeon, Robert John Baylis Burkitt of the 94th Regiment.  He had been born in about 1798 to Robert Burkitt and Dyanna Bayis of Enniscorthy - siblings were Christopher and Eliza Burkitt.   
Surgeon Robert John Baylis Burkitt of the 94th Regiment married Jane Weeks in 1816 and had Diana who married John Joseph Nolan, Jane Eliza Burkitt who died in August 1840 ('Clare Journal', 6th August 1840), and John Baylis Burkitt who was born in Gibraltar in 1817, married Mary Miller, and who died in Australia on 11th November 1909 at his son's residence in Glenroy. ('The Argus', 13th November 1909.)  John Baylis Burkitt and the Scottish-born Mary Miller, had 14 children, one of whom was Francis Archibald Burkitt who married Mary Addis, the eldest daughter of G.A.Mouritz on 19th December 1878 in Brighton, Australia.   Their son, another John Baylis Burkitt, would marry Agnes Louisa Grace, eldest daughter of Alexander Cumming, on 14th January 1908, in Merriwak, Trafalgar, Gippaland.  These records are from the online searchable newspaper collections of the Australian site,

9) Frances Hay, born circa 1844 in Co. Kerry.  She married Richard Benjamin Howell on 2nd December 1865 in Donnybrook, Dublin.  Richard Howell died on 25th November 1868 (they had had three children - Charles, Henry and Eleanor), and Frances married William Richardson on 12th March 1872;  a further four children followed - John, William, Frances and Thomas.