Search This Blog

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Connor/O'Connor Family of Ballybricken and Connorville


The Connors/Conners were an ancient Munster family, who intermarried with various branches of my mother's family.  Actually, we probably would have died out years ago without their genetic contribution....

The earliest documented member of the family was Cornelius O'Connor whose father was murdered by soldiers of Cromwell's army.  His widowed mother settled with the infant Cornelius at Gallow's Hill Street in Bandon, Co. Cork, where she took the politically-motivated decision to drop the Irish 'O' from the name, hoping that this would make them more acceptable to the predominantly Protestant inhabitants of the area.

Cornelius Conner/Connor married Joane Splane, a widow, in 1670. (Marriage Licences of Cork and Ross.)

Cornelius and Joane had a son, Daniel Connor, a wealthy merchant of Bandon Bridge, who, in 1698, bought the confiscated estates of Justin McCarthy, and, in 1702, bought the confiscated estates of Donough McCarthy, Earl of Clancarty.   This Daniel Connor married, in 1698, Margaret Slone or Sloane.  He was still alive in 1737 when he was named as an executor of his eldest son Daniel's will.

The children of Daniel Connor and Margaret Sloane, merchant of Bandon, were:
1) Daniel Connor - he made his will on 26th January 1733, and died the same year. The will named mortgaged property in London, and estates in Co. Killkenny, which were to go to his only son, Daniel Connor, a minor.   His brother was named as William Connor and was to administer the will along with the brothers' father, Daniel Connor.  Four sisters were also mentioned - Jane Lapp and her two unnamed sons, Mary Connor, Sarah Wade, and Hannah Delahoid.

2)  George Connor, who married Elizabeth Southwell, and who settled at Ballybricken, Monkstown, Co. Cork  - these were the parents of Mary Anne Connor who married, in 1778, John Lysaght, 2nd Lord Lisle.  John Lysaght was the brother of Mary Lysaght who married Kingsmill Pennefather - Kingsmill and Mary Pennefather were our maternal 6 x great-grandparents.  

Deed 553-516-370622, dated 22nd December 1801 makes mention of the children of the late George Connor, who died before 1776, and of Elizabeth Southwell of Ballybricken.  This 1801 deed records a transfer of land in Co. Cork from the Connor family to Robert Warren of Cork city, and was witnessed by William Lapp of Dublin - this same plot of land had earlier, on 13th November 1776, been assigned to a William Crooke of Cork city by Rev. Henry Connor of Waterford and by William Connor of Lismore, both trustees of the will of the deceased George Connor of Ballybricken. (Rev. Henry and William Connor were the sons of George Connor.)  
The parties to the second deed of December 1801 were Roger Connor, eldest son and heir of William Connor of Lismore, now deceased, Roger being the surviving trustee of the will of George Connor of Ballybricken. 
The second party to the 1801 deed were two sons of George Connor of Ballybricken, namely Daniel Connor of Ballybricken, his eldest son, and Henry Connor, his younger son.  Also, the Hon. Mary Ann, Lady Baroness Lisle of Bath, widow of the 2nd Lord Lisle, and also a daughter of the late George Connor of Ballybricken.  Also, another daughter, Elizabeth Fielding, née Connor, and her husband, Francis Fielding of Bandon.  Also an Elizabeth Connor who was named as the executrix of the will of the late William Connor of Co. Cork, deceased, (Elizabeth was possibly William's widow) who was himself the son of the late George Connor of Ballybricken.  Also Dulcebella Connor of Bath, yet another daughter of George Connor of Ballybricken.

The eldest son of George Connor and Elizabeth Southwell, Daniel Connor of Ballybricken, married Mary Pennefather, the daughter of Mary Lysaght and Kingsmill Pennefather.   A marriage is recorded of a Mr. O'Connor of Limerick marrying Miss Penefather of Newport on 6th February 1779 - this was most likely the marriage of Mary Pennefather and Daniel Connor, which which is also referred to in deed 335-175-222531, registered in Dublin in February 1780.  The deed was drawn up between: Daniel Connor of Ballybricken;  Mary Pennefather, widow of Dublin, ie. widow of Kingsmill Pennefather of Newport, Tipperary; Mary Pennefather, spinster, daughter of the previous Mary Pennefather, née Lysaght;  the Hon. James Lysaght of Dublin, who was the brother of Mary Pennefather, née Lysaght, and of John Lysaght, 2nd Lord Lisle;  and Richard Pennefather of Newport, who was the son of Mary Pennefather, née Lysaght.  
The deed confirmed the marriage of Daniel Connor and Mary Pennefather, and transferred lands in Cork accordingly to James Lysaght and Richard Pennefather.  The townlands concerned were Gogginshill, Ballyhooleen, Vicarstown, Glanballycullen and Lehackaneen.   This deed of release was witnessed our immediate ancestor, Rev. John Pennefather, clerk of Dublin, who was also the son of Mary Lysaght and Kingsmill Pennefather, and also by his brother, William Pennefather of Dublin.  It is interesting to see that Rev. John Pennefather was living in Dublin in 1780.

The children of Daniel Connor and Mary Pennefather were Daniel Connor of Ballybricken, Catherine Connor and William H.Connor, and Captain Richard Connor (1781-1862).   Catherine Conner married, in June 1804, Captain Frederick Maitland of the Bellepheron who was present when Napoleon surrendered.  Her brother, Lieutenant William H. Connor, was also aboard the Bellepheron - Lieutenant William H. Connor married Jane Cassandra Eustace, daughter of Rev. Charles Eustace of Robertstown, Kildare, and had two children, William Eustace Connor and Cassandra Connor.  William Eustace Connor died in London on 25th August 1860.
Captain Richard Connor, also the son of Daniel Connor and Mary Pennefather, married Elizabeth Perrot, the daughter of Samuel Perrot of Cleve Hill.   (Richard Connor, of Monkstown, Co. Cork, a captain in the Royal Navy, died on 6th August 1862, and his will was administered by John Walter Perrot of Clevehill, Co. Cork.)
Captain Richard Connor and Elizabeth Perrot had Daniel Connor (1835 - 1899) who married, in 1866, Emily, the daughter of Henry Steigen Berger of Hyde Park, London;  they also had Dr. William Connor who married Emily Lawrence Dundas, Colonel George Connor of the 28th Regiment and Elizabeth Mary Connor who married Samuel Willy Perrot in 1870.     Dr William Connor, born March 25th 1845, practiced medicine in England before returning home to Cork in 1890, where he lived at Cooleen, Rushbrooke, with his wife, Ellen Laurence Dundas,  the daughter of William Colbourne of Cork.
The children of Daniel Connor and Emily Berger were Major Richard Connor of Ballybricken (1868-1915),  the lawyer Daniel Henry Connor (1867-1941),  Samuel Connor (1872-1934), Kathleen Louise Connor (born 1877), Henry Connor (1872-1942) and Emily Connor (1870-1937).

Another Ballybricken marriage took place on April 30th 1807, when Elizabeth, the daughter of the late Daniel Connor of Ballybricken, married Captain Thomas Burke of the 4th Regiment of Foot in Carrigaline Church, Cork.  Given the date of the marriage, Elizabeth must have been the daughter of Daniel Connor and Mary Pennefather, and therefore the sister of Daniel Connor, Catherine Maitland, William H.Connor and Captain Richard Connor.
On 15th November 1861, at Prospect Villa, Elizabeth, wife of General Burke, died.

Daniel Connor, J.P. of Ballybricken, son of Daniel Connor and Mary Pennefather, married Anna Pennefather, the daughter of William Pennefather and Frances Nisbett, in 1824.  Daniel Connor Junior was therefore the first cousin of Anna Pennefather, their mother and father being brother and sister, ie: Mary Pennefather and William Pennefather, both the children of Kingsmill Pennefather and Mary Lysaght.

A further Pennefather/Connor alliance:  The son of Kingsmill Pennefather and Mary Lysaght, was Richard Pennefather, whose son, Mathew Pennefather of New Park, Tipperary (1784 - 1858) married Anna Connor, the 4th daughter of Daniel Connor of Ballybricken.   The children of Mathew Pennefather and Anna Connor were named Daniel Francis Pennefather, Richard Pennefather, Mary Lavina Pennefather and Anna Pennefather.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/06/family-of-mary-lavina-pennefather-and.html


3)Jane who married John Lapp, merchant of Cork, in 1720 - their son was William Lapp, a lawyer of Dublin, who acted on behalf of his relative, John Lysaght 2nd Baron Lisle, who was married to Mary Anne Connor.

4)Mary who married Rev. Bartholomew Thomas of Everton, Carlow, in about 1750. Their son, Rev.Dr.William Bartholomew Thomas (1751-1826) married Anna Jocelyn Davidson. They had two sons, both of whom emigrated to Van Diemen's Land - Jocelyn Henry Connor Thomas (1780 - 1862) and Bartholomew Boyle Thomas (1785 - 1831).

4)Hannah who married Mr. Delahoyde.

6)Elizabeth who married Richard Gumbleton, Esq., of Castlerichard, Waterford, in 1743.  (The same Richard Gumbleton, or perhaps his son, of Castlerichard featured in deed 548-195-362169, of 1802, which dealt with the administration of the will of Rt. Hon. Joseph Lysaght of Cork - he died in Buxton Wells on August 8th 1799;  he had named as his executor, his nephew, Rev. John Pennefather of Newpark, who was the son of Kingsmill Pennefather and Mary Lysaght.  Also named in this deed were William Gumbleton, Richard Edward Gumbleton, Richard Boyle who was the Earl of Shannon and his daughter, Juliana the Countess of Carrick and her husband, Somerset.)      The children of Elizabeth Connor and Richard Gumbleton were - Richard Gumbleton of Castlerichard, William Gumbleton of Fort William, Robert Warren Gumbleton, George Gumbleton of Marston, Henry Gumbleton of Curriglass House, Jane Daunt, Mary Peard, Ann Rashleigh, Eliza Walton and Catherine Gumbleton. A Richard Gumbleton died at Castle Richard on 7th March 1793.

7) William Connor who was MP for Bandon in 1765, and who married, in 1721,  Anne Bernard, the daughter of Roger Bernard of Palace Anne, Cork.  Anne Bernard was of the family of the Earl of Bandon.  William Connor founded Connorville in 1727.

8) Sarah Connor who married a Mr. Wade.

The children of William Connor and Anne Bernard of Connorville:

  • Daniel, born 1723.
  • Arthur born 1724. 
  • Cornelius born 1727. 
  • Roger Connor born 1728 who married Anne Longfield, the sister of Lord Longueville - they had, amongst others, Robert Longfield Connor of Fortrobert, and a son, Daniel Connor who married Mary Elizabeth Hyde;  the family of Daniel Connor and Mary Elizabeth Hyde eventually settled at Manch House, near Dunmanway, Cork.  Daniel Connor and Mary Elizabeth Hyde had Daniel Connor who married Elizabeth Longfield;  Daniel Connor and Elizabeth Longfield had Daniel Connor, JP, who married Patience Longfield of Waterloo, Co. Cork, and who died in 1896;  Daniel Connor and Patience Longfield had Elizabeth Jane Connor who married William Lysaght JP of Cork, and who had children - William Conner Lysaght born 8th March 1861 in Laurel Hill Avenue in Limerick and Edward Longfield Lysaght born in Limerick on 24th December 1862.  Daniel Connor and Patience Longfield also had Henry Daniel Connor of Manch and of 16 Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, in 1859, who would marry, in 1881, Anne Goodwin, the daughter of Daniel Goodwin.  The son of Henry Daniel Connor and Anne Goodwin was Daniel Goodwin Connor born 1884.      Roger Connor and Anne Longfield also had two staunchly nationalist and prominent sons, Roger and Arthur who adopted the older family name of  O'Connor.  See more on this family below...
  • William born 1731.

Children of Roger Connor and Anne Longfield:
The Longfield family of Longueville family recur in this genealogy - Anne Longfield was the daughter of Robert Longfield and Margaret Geering;  her brother was Richard, Baron Longueville of Longueville, Co.Cork.    Anne's aunt, Mary Longfield, the wife of William Longfield, was accidentally buried alive; her butler decided to break into the Longfield family vault in St.Peter's, Cork, to steal her ring but, the moment he cut into her finger, she awoke, frightening the thief off.  She then walked home to her home in Patrick Street and lived for many years afterwards.
Another member of the Longfield family, the Rev. Mountiford Longfield, Vicar of Desertserges, Cork, married, firstly, Grace Lysaght, the daughter of William Lysaght of Fort William who was a relation of the Lysaghts of Mountnorth;   he married, secondly, Mary Anne Conner, the daughter of Colonel William Conner.

The children of Roger Connor and Anne Longfield were:
1) Robert Longfield Connor of Fortrobert, a demesne adjacent to Connorville, both near Dunmanway, Cork.   Robert Connor was a fierce Orangeman, loyal to the crown, who commanded his own corps of militia; he threatened to invade France and bring Napoleon back to Ireland to be displayed in a cage.  Not surprisingly, Robert Connor was popular with the Ascendancy administration in Dublin Castle.  Robert even attempted unsuccessfully to have his own brother, Roger O'Connor, arrested on charges of treason.     Robert, known to his family as Bob, founded Fortrobert in 1788 and married in 1789 Anne-Eliza Madras, the daughter of Rev. John Madras of the French Church in Cork.  Robert and Anne-Eliza Connor had three daughters, two of whom married Robert's nephews - Mary Conner married her cousin Arthur (son of Roger O'Connor and Wilhelmina Bowen), while Elizabeth Conner married her cousin Roger O'Conner (also son of Roger O'Conner).  The 3rd daughter, Anne, never married, but left her portion of her father's estate to her bachelor cousin Feargus O'Connor (son of Roger O'Conner and Wilhelmina Bowen).
2) Roger O'Connor, was born on 8th March 1763, and entered Trinity in 1777.  His first wife, who he eloped with on the day that he met her, was Louisa Anna Strachan, the eldest daughter of Colonel Strachan of the 32nd Regiment of Foot.   He had one son by Louisa - Roderick O'Connor who lived for a time on his Dangan estate, before emigrating to Van Diemen's Land; there was also a daughter, Louisa. The older Louisa O'Connor, née Strachan, died young in 1787, and Roger supported her father financially until his death.
Roger O'Connor's second wife was Wilhelmina Bowen of Bowenscourt, Cork.  They had several children, including two daughters;  amongst their sons was the Nottingham MP, Feargus Edward O'Connor, and also Francis Burdett O'Connor of the Bolivian army. This son, Francis Burdett O'Connor, had been named after Roger's friend, Sir Francis Burdett.
Both Roger, and his younger brother, General Arthur O'Connor, assumed the earlier spelling of the family name, both men being ardent nationalists.  Roger was put on trial in Trim, Co. Meath, on 5th August 1817, for the robbery of the Galway mail-coach at Annagh Hill on 2nd October 1812, the object of which was to accumulate arms. He was acquitted of this on the evidence of Sir Francis Burdett who hurried to Ireland to support his old friend - it was believed that the real purpose of the robbery was to seize love-letters belonging to Burdett and written to his lover, whose husband was on the verge of bringing charges against Sir Francis.
Strongly influenced by the French revolution, Roger O'Connor bought Dangan Castle in Meath with the intention of entertaining Napoleon there, following the expected French invasion of Ireland;  this never happened and the castle subsequently burnt down which netted Roger £7000 in insurance.
 Following the loss of Dangan Castle, three of Roger's sons, Arthur, Feargus and Roger, went to live with their Orange uncle Robert Connor at Fortrobert, where Arthur and Roger were later married to Robert's daughters - Arthur married his cousin, Mary Conner while Roger married his cousin Elizabeth Conner.  Arthur, a fervent foxhunter, died of consumption in 1828.
Their father, Roger O'Connor of Dangan, died at The Ovens, Cork, in 1835. Of the three sons of Roger O'Connor of Dangan, the nationalist Feargus Edward O'Connor was the most prominent.  He was educated by another of our maternal ancestors, our 4 x greatgrandfather, Thomas Willis, who ran a prominent school in Portarlington, and one of whose daughters - possibly Eliza Willis - Feargus attempted unsuccessfully to elope with.    One of Feargus's schoolfriends was the nationalist doctor, Richard Grattan of Drummin, whose daughter, Frances Grattan, married William Willis, the son of the schoolmaster, Thomas Willis of Portarlington, in 1826.
At the height of the Tithe Wars in 1832, Feargus O'Connor was elected for Cork, carried into office by a wave of anti-union sentiment.  A fabulous orator, although obviously unhinged, he gained the support of the Catholic population but eventually lost it when he attempted to usurp O'Connell as the head of the Irish nationalists.  Falling out of favour at home, he moved to England and involved himself in the Chartist movement there, founding their newspaper ' The Northern Star' ; Feargus O'Connor  died insane in Dr. Tuke's Asylum near Chiswick in 1855.
From The Dublin Evening Mail of 23rd June 1852: 'Mr. Feargus O'Connor - No perceptibel change for the better was up to yesterday reported by Dr. Tuke to have taken place in the state of the unfortunate gentleman since his removal to Chiswick, where he is not placed under anything like the restraint experienced in the House of Commons.  He lives liberally, is permitted to drink wine and plays considerably at billiards, but still talks wandering and acts erratically.'
His ghost is said to haunt the woods around his old estate of Fortrobert near Dunmanway, Cork.

Feargus O'Connor's sister, Margaret Matilda O'Connor, also the daughter of Roger O'Connor and Wilhelmina Bowen, married a baronet of Cork, Richard Emanuel Moore of Rosscarbery, whose brother, Herbert Gilman Moore, had married Mary Courtenay, the sister of our maternal 3 x greatgrandmother Emily Pennefather, née Courtenay, in Dublin in 1851.
Richard Emanuel Moore had earlier been married to another of the O'Connor family, Mary Anne O'Connor who was the daughter of an Arthur or Andrew Ryan O'Connor of Kilgobbin.  Mary Anne O'Connor had a brother, the solicitor Thomas Forrest O'Connor.  Called to the bar in 1838, Thomas Forrest O'Connor was named as the eldest son of A. Ryan O'Connor of Rockfort, Co. Cork. ('Dublin Morning Register', 12th January 1838.)   It's unclear to me whether the family of Mary Anne O'Connor was related in any way to the O'Connors discussed in this post.  The 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 24th June1828, noted that Thomas Forrest O'Connor of Tralee married Mary Anne Adelaide Thornton, daughter of attorney, Ralph D. Thornton of Williamstown.  She died a widow at her residence in Talbot Street, Dublin, on 5th April 1870.   Earlier in June 1841, Thomas Forrest O'Connor, formerly of both Gloucester Street and Rathmines, was declared insolvent.

3)  Arthur O'Connor, (son of Roger Conner and Anne Longfield) later General Arthur O'Connor (1763 - 1852), a prominent member of the United Irishmen, who was sent into exile in France due to his involvement in the 1798 rebellion.  A close association of Lord Edward Fitzgerald, he had tried to bring about a French invasion of England, which had led to his arrest and 18-month imprisonment in Fort George, Scotland.    Arthur, being forbidden to set foot in Cork again, sold Connorville to his brother, Roger, and entrusted his property to his nephew, Feargus O'Connor, who subsequently embezzled much of it.     Arthur settled in Paris where, in 1809, the First Consul gave him the rank of Lieutenant-General, then General of Division.   He lived at the Rue de Tournon for 16 years, but bought the Chateau de Bignon near Nemours where he died in 1852.
In 1807 Arthur married Alexandrine Louise Sophie de Caritat de Concordat, known as the simpler Eliza, who was the daughter of Sophie de Grouchy and the philosopher, Nicholas de Condorcet.  The Condorcets kept a salon which attracted the leading lights of the enlightenment, but, thanks to his opposition to the Jacobin administration, Nicholas de Condorcet lost his life during the Reign of Terror when Eliza was only five years old.  His wife, Sophie, reknowned as an early feminist, managed to survive the revolutionary era and became a celebrated translator of enlightenment literature, as well as the custodian and publisher of her late husband's writing.  Arthur O'Connor and Sophie's daughter, Eliza,  would take over this work following Sophie's death in 1822.

Who was this?  In October 1848, Adderly Bernard of Palaceanne married Mary Ann, only daughter of the late Arthur O'Connor of Fort Robert.

Connorville, the house built by William Connor in 1727, was later bought by James Lysaght Esq., and sold on again by him in 1858.   James Lysaght was a relation of John Lysaght, 2nd Lord Lisle, whose wife was Mary Connor, the daughter of George Connor of Ballybricken - James Lysaght was the son of William Lysaght and Catherine Royse of  Fort William and Mount North.  He renamed Connorville as Carrigmore.









Friday, 15 February 2013

Links between the Williams, Bellinghams, Wyes, Quins and Palmers


This post explores the links between the Bellinghams of Castlebellingham, the Quins of Dublin, the Wyes of Dunleer and the Palmer family of Dublin.  It's a work in progress....

Thomas Williams, father of Charles Wye Williams and Richard Williams of Drumcondra Castle, married Mary Ann Quin/Quine in St. Thomas's, Dublin, in 1777.
The ceremony was performed by a Rev. Wye,  who I believe to be Charles Wye of Co. Louth.  The records of St.Thomas's reveal that no rector by the name of 'Wye' worked there at any time during its history, therefore he must surely have been specially requested by the bride and groom. I've discovered no other clergymen by this name, other than Rev. Charles Wye and several members of the same family.  Rev. Wye also married  an Arthur Ormsby and Ann Ashe on the same day, but I've yet to discover who they were.
It appears that Charles Wye Williams, the second son of Thomas and Mary Ann, was named after Rev. Charles Wye,  who I believe was Mary Anne Quin's maternal grandfather, and that her parents were Thomas Quin, of Castlebellingham, and Mary Wye.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/01/mary-anne-quin-wife-of-thomas-williams.html

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/11/collection-of-quins.html

Notes on the Wye Family:
The grandfather of Rev. Charles Wye was Gilbert Wye of Co. Antrim. (He also owned property in Killiney, Co. Dublin.) Gilbert Wye was a burgess of Belfast and steward to the Earl of Donegall.

Gilbert's son, Rev. Mossom Wye, was born in Co. Antrim in 1662, and was the rector of Kilsaran 1689 - 1703, (Kilsaran being the parish closest to Castlebellingham, Louth), then the rector of Dunleer, a small town about four or five miles south of Castlebellingham.  Mossom Wye married a Miss Piers, and he died in January 1726.

Deed 17-329-916, dated 11th January 1716:   Rev. Doctor Mossom Wye of Dunleer and his eldest son, Rev.William Wye, demised and released a farm to a John Foster of Dunleer.  The lease was for the three lives of Rev. Mossom Wye's sons - Charles (ie, Rev. Charles Wye), William and Fielding.  It was witnessed by Rev. William Creichton of Dunleer,  Faithful Fortescue of Dublin, a gentleman, and Samuel Keating of Druminin, Louth, a gentleman.

Rev.William Wye, son of Mossom Wye, married Jane Brabazon, and had three children with her in Drogheda, Louth - Elizabeth Wye in 1712, Brabazon Wye in 1713 and Thomas Wye in 1715.

Rev. William Wye subsequently emigrated to the Carolinas and was noted there by 1717.   'Colonial Clergy of Maryland, Delaware and Georgia'  (Frederick Lewis Wies, 1978) confirms that  Rev. William Wye had been born in Co. Louth in 1684 to Rev. Mossom Wye;  he studied in Trinity, Dublin, and was a missionary in Goose Creek, South Carolina from August 1717 to December 1717, before settling in St. Stephen's parish, Northumberland, Virginai between 1721 and 1731. He would die in North Elk parish, Maryland, on 16th November 1744.
A colourful character, Rev. William Wye left a trail of havoc, which his modern descendants delight in!  He brought fraudulent letters of reference with him to the new world, and was hounded out of a clerical post in Charleston, Carolina, in 1720;  following this, he and his son, the mariner, William Wye Junior, moved to a parish in Maryland, becoming involved in numerous lawsuits for debt. The son, William Wye Jr., had, incidentally, been born in about 1706-10, before his father's marriage to Jane Brabazon.

There seems to have been several William Wyes since a William Wye was recorded as having married Anne Hasket on 28th February 1753 in St. Andrew's, Dublin.

The executors of John Mills of Rush, Co. Dublin in May 1777 were Rev. Brabazon Wye and his brother William Wye, ie: deed 314-269-213343, as published in 'Registry of Deeds: Abstracts of Wills, Vol. II 1746 - 1785'.

Charles Wye (1694 - 1784)
Another son of  Mossom Wye was the Rev. Charles Wye, born in Dunleer, Co. Louth, in 1694, and who was educated in Donegal by Mr. Cambell.  He entered T.C.D. as a Pensioner at the age of 16 on March 28, 1709, and became a Scholar in 1712. He was for some time previous to 1728 his father's Curate in Dunleer. He was collated to the Rectory of Darver on Mar. 12, 1734, which he held with Dromiskin, Louth, until Sep., 1752, when he exchanged with Rev. Joseph Pratt, A.M., for the R. of Ballymoney, Co. Cork and Kilmeen, (Ross), with which he held the Curacy of Kinneigh.
A deed exists which mentions a Charles Wye, gentleman, at Plunketts Land, Dunleer, in 1722.

Rev. Charles Wye was married to Sarah Spring. Deed 49-112-31110, registered 2nd February 1725:  Sarah Spring and her husband, Rev. Charles Wye of Dunleer, sold to Robert Cairns, gentleman, 'Soveraigne of Naas',  a parcel of land in Naas, Co. Kildare, known as Colonel Eustace's Commons.  There were other members of the Spring family involved in the sale. William Spring was Sarah's brother, and acted as her attorney;  Alexander Spring was named as the brother of the druggist, Thomas Spring.

The will of Rev. Charles Wye, dated 11 April, 1765, was proved in Cork 16 Aug., 1784. He mentions in it his son Francis Wye, and two daughters — Mary, wife of Quin, and Elizabeth.

Francis Wye, son of Rev. Charles Wye, and brother of Mary Quin, married twice, first to a woman named Elizabeth, then to a Lucretia.  Deed 115-287-80478, dated January 1844,  mentions both Francis Wye and his wife, Elizabeth, both of Dublin;  this deed involved a property deal for lands in Newtown, Blackhall and Roan in Dublin.

The will of Francis Wye, of Castlebellingham, was proved also in 1785;  he states that Sir Michael Cromie, Bart., Right Hon. Luke Gardiner, Esq., and John William Foster of Rosey Park were indebted to him by a bond in 1782 for £2,600, which he now bequeaths to his wife, Lucretia, along with land in Derrigra/Ballyhanum, Curracrowley in Cork, and Spaw in Louth, during the life of Henry Hughes, gentleman.  He also bequeaths his wife his interest in a house and garden in Castlebellingham. The witnesses were Peter Prole, George Bower and Henry Hughes.
According to a deed of 1785 (369-25-246076), Francis Wye's widow, Lucretia, sold on her inherited lands, plus house in Castlebellingham, to a Henry Kelly, prior to her marriage to Charles Henry Sallery of County Meath.

In 1784, Robert White of Williamstown, Kilsaran, married Mrs. Wye (widow) of Castlebellingham, but it's unclear whose widow this was.

Francis Wye's sister, Mary Wye, married a man by the name of Quin, who I believe to be Thomas Quin, the son of Francis Quin, bricklayer of Dublin.  Thomas Quin settled in Castlebellingham....

Deed 124-153-84082:  Dated 20th and 21st August 1746. A deed of lease and release, between Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham,  Rev. Charles Wye of Dromlisk, Co.Louth, Thomas Quin, apothecary of Dublin and Mary Wye, spinster, the second daughter of Rev. Charles Wye. Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham was the son of Francis Quin, bricklayer, while Thomas Quin, apothecary was Francis' nephew.
Whereby Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham, for the consideration of Charles Wye of the parish of Kilsaran (ie: Castlebellingham), and for the consideration of Thomas Quin of Dublin, his heirs and assigns,  34 acres of land near Castlebellingham and a house in Castlebellingham owned by Thomas Quin - these properties were being conveyed to Charles Wye and Thomas Quin of Dublin, for the lives of Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham, Robert Sibthorpe, eldest son of Stephen Sibthorpe of Dunany, Louth, and Henry Hughes, eldest son of John Hughes of Castlebellingham.
Also, Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham demised to Charles Wye and to Thomas Quin of Dublin a plot of land in Bow Lane, Dublin, so that a house may be built there.  The witnesses were Samuel Boyd and William Spring of Dublin.
Was the above deed the precursor to a marriage settlement between Mary Wye and Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham?     She certainly wasn't marrying Thomas Quin, apothecary, since he was married to Isabella Brownrigg of Annagh, Wexford.

Francis Quin of Dublin:
In either 1692 or 1715  (two different records record two different dates for the same couple, ie: www.irishgenealogy.ie and 'Diary of Thomas Bellingham'), Francis Quin, a wealthy merchant of Dublin, married, in St. Bride's, Dublin, Jane Bellingham, the daughter of Sir Thomas Bellingham of Castlebellingham. They had a son, Thomas Quin, who was noted as a churchwarden in Kilsaran Parish in 1748.  Thomas Quin also proved the will of his aunt, the unmarried Anne Bellingham, in 1758.   It seems that Thomas Quin had a son, Thomas, since Anne's sister, when she died in 1770,  mentioned her grandnephew, Thomas Quin, who was only a child, not yet fourteen.
I doubt that the family of Thomas Quin stayed in Castlebellingham, since the Kilsaran church records show little sign of the Quins - on February 27th 1831 Catherine Quin, the daughter of John and Mary Quin, was baptised.  A Quin was buried there on October 6th 1840.  In 1889 and 1890, a Richard Quin was churchwarden along with Major General Woolsey D.L.
Perhaps they headed back to Dublin?  A Thomas Quin was born in 1760 to Thomas and Mary Quin of Fleet Street.

The Bellinghams:
It seems that the Bellingham family, who had come from Levens in England, settled first in the same Liberties area of Dublin as the Quin family.
Two years before Mark Quine became the third Lord Mayor of Dublin, Daniel Bellingham, a member of the goldsmiths guild, became the first Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1665 to 1666.  The Great Mace of Dublin, a ceremonial item, was made in his workshop in 1665 and was subsequently purchased from him by the City Assembly. Daniel Bellingham was the granduncle of Jane Bellingham who married Francis Quin 30 years later.  Daniel Bellingham, the first of the Bellingham baronets, died in 1672 and was buried in St.Werberghs, as was his unmarried son, Sir Richard Bellingham, who died in 1699.
 The Bellingham baronetcy passed then to Daniel's brother, Henry, who had married a County Louth woman, Lucy Sibthorpe, and, soon after, he acquired the estates of Castlebellingham.
Henry became the High Sheriff of Kildare in 1654 following a stint in the military. It was about this time that he bought Gernonstown, later renamed Castlebellingham, from an ex-soldier, John Perryn, who is believed to have been granted the land following its confiscation after the 1641 rebellion, the original owners being the Gernons.  Another document lists land in Kilsaran parish which had been granted to Henry Bellingham for his services in the war, namely 619 acres in Gernonstown, 183 acres in Milestone (later the property of the Woolseys), 80 acres in Williamstown, 108 acres in Lynne and 86 acres in Adamstown.  This was confirmed in 1666.

Henry Bellingham's will in 1676 mentioned his sisters, Lady Jane Gilbert and Anne Bickerton, widow.

His son, Colonel Thomas Bellingham was the executor of his will and his successor to his estates.
Colonel Thomas Bellingham was the father of Jane/Jenny Bellingham who would marry Francis Quin in Dublin in 1692.   The diary of Col. Thomas Bellingham has been published online - there are two references to his daughter, Jane, who he refers to as Jenny. On June 28th 1690, he finds little Jenny very well;  on July 23rd 1690, he received a letter from her. He had other children - Abigail, who died unmarried in 1770,  Anne who died unmarried in 1759, and Henry Bellingham who married Mary Moore.
Colonel Thomas Bellingham' s will was proved in 1722 - he left £500 to his daughter Anne Bellingham should she ever marry, and £500 to her unmarried sister, Abigail, who had been named after her mother, Abigail Handcock, who was, apparently, not a great beauty.  Jane/Jenny, having been provided for when she married Francis Quin, was not mentioned in her father's will, whose executors were his son, Henry Bellingham, and his 'beloved kinsman' Robert Sibthorpe of Dunany. The will of Thomas' daughter, the unmarried Anne Bellingham, was later sworn to by her nephew, Thomas Quin, when she died in 1758 (see below).

The will of Anne Bellingham, 1758:  the unmarried Anne Bellingham left 'my five Guinea Piece of Gold and the ring of Queen Mary's hair' to her sister-in-law  who Anne named in the will as her 'sister Bellingham'.  This was Mary Moore, the wife of her brother, Henry Bellingham.  Anne also left bequests to her nephews Henry and Alan Bellingham (the two sons of her brother, Henry), to her nieces Eliza Fortescue, Mary Coddington, Margaret Bickerton, Anne Bellingham and Jane Bellingham (these were the daughters of her brother Alan Bellingham).
A further bequest was left to her nephew, Thomas Quin (son of her sister Jane), and to her grandniece, Abigail Aston, and a final one to her sister, Abigail Bellingham.   In 1770,  Anne's sister, Abigail Bellingham, made her own will, in which she mentioned a grand-nephew, Thomas Quin, who she desired to be put to some trade or business when he reached the age of 14 - this child was, therefore, the son of Thomas Quin and his wife who I believe was Mary Wye, the daughter of Rev. Charles Wye.

Rev. Charles Wye married Mary Anne Quin and Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland in St. Thomas's in 1777.   The eldest son of Mary Anne and Thomas was Richard Williams, of Drumcondra Castle, who would marry Anne Palmer.

The parents of Anne Palmer who married Richard Williams were George Palmer, the governor of the Bank of Ireland, and Anne Bickarton, the only daughter and heir of Daniel Bickerton of Milestone, Castlebellingham.  Daniel Bickerton was the son of Robert Bickerton of Chatilly, Armagh, and of Anne Bellingham.   This Anne Bellingham was the daughter of Henry Bellingham and Lucy Sibthorpe, and the sister of Colonel Thomas Bellingham.

The following families also interlink with the Bellinghams....

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/05/woolsey-family-of-castlebellingham.html

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/08/richard-williams-and-geraldine-omoore.html







Thursday, 7 February 2013

Military Record of Francis Courtney, born Dublin 1793


Francis Courtney/Courtenay was the son of Thomas Courtney, shearman of Dublin,  and brother to  Frederick and Robert Courtenay.   Our maternal line descends directly from shearman Thomas Courtney of Dublin and then through his son Frederick Courtenay.

Frederick's brother, Francis Courtenay, served in the army from 1817 till 1839 when he retired as an invalid, and returned to Dublin.    This post details his military record.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/03/the-courtenay-family-of-dublin-and.html

Sergeant Francis Courtney, Clerk,  Service Number 346.
Francis Courtney was born in St. Luke's Parish, Dublin 1793.  St. Luke's Church is located in the Liberties/Coombe area of Dublin;  this was the area where Dublin's  woollen industry was located.  Francis Courtney was the son of Thomas Courtney, shearman.

He enlisted in the 85th Regiment of Foot in Dublin on 10th September 1817, aged 24.  He was discharged on 31st May 1839.   He was described in 1817 as 5'9" , with a fresh complexion, brown eyes and black hair, and had enlisted himself for the bounty of three pounds.

He was promoted to the rank of corporal on 25th April 1818, but was 'reduced' to private on 12th August 1820 at his own request. Francis was promoted to corporal again on 20th October 1823, but once again, at his own request, was reduced to the rank of private on 15th February 1824.  This pattern continued throughout his service - he was once again promoted to corporal on 14th June 1828, then promoted further to serjeant on 26th April 1829.  Once again, on 2nd June 1831, Francis was reduced to the rank of private, this time due to hospitalisation, before, finally being promoted to regiment clerk on 15th September 1833;   he left the army on 31st May 1839.

From 11th July 1821 until 17th November 1831, Francis Courtney served in Malta and Gibraltar.
In June 1821, three units of the 85th Regiment marched from Brighton to Portsmouth where they embarked for Gibraltar;  on 11th July, the Head Quarters and seven companies of the regiment arrived arrived at Malta;  the barracks were located at Floriana.  The regiment stayed in Malta until October 1831.

Between 1831 and 1836, the regiment moved around England and Ireland - Dudley, Wolverhampton, Worcester, Stourbridge,  Haydock Lodge in Lancashire;  in 1833, some of the company sailed from Liverpool to Dublin, and then onto Limerick, Killaloe, Tipperary, Newcastle,  before heading to Galway and being dispatched on to Castlebar, Loughrea, Oughterard and Westport.   In 1836, his company embarked from Cork to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

From 8th August 1836 until 31st May 1839, Francis Courtney served in Upper Canada, North America.  On 8th August, the 1st Division of the 85th Regiment arrived in Halifax, and set off on first on foot and then aboard the steamer the 'Gazelle'  for St. John's, New Brunswick, in consequence of the rebellion in Lower Canada.  The regiment received orders to prepare to move to the assistance of the troops stationed in that province.  The men were issued with two pairs of mocassins each, two blankets, warm mitts, kettles, snow shoes and felling axes.  The 1st Division headed to Quebec on 16th November 1837. The regiment proceeded in sleighs on the ice, on the rivers, and in carioles on the snow through the woods, and after a most severe and harrowing journey of 450 miles through the country, arrived at Quebec...in January 1838.
They next took the following route to Upper Canada - Sorel to Montreal, then, since the rebels had assembled on the frontiers, the regiment moved on to St. John's, Lower Canada. On 9th June 1838, the company proceed via canal to Kingstown, Upper Canada.  From there, they proceed to London, Upper Canada,  from where the company's right wing proceeded to barracks in St. Thomas.   This was where Francis Courtney was discharged because of ill health in May 1839.

'2nd Disability or Cause of Discharge - According to the surgeon's report...it appears that this is a case of debility contracted in the service without being attributable to vice or intemperance.'
'Character - that his general conduct has been good.'
Attached - 'I hereby certify that Serjeant Francis Courtney, 85th Regiment,  is wholly unfit for further service, from long service and constitutional debility.  He has been lately some time in hospital with ulceration of the hip. His conduct while under treatment ahs been uniformly good,  and I do not consider that his complaints have been aggravated by...his conduct....'   (This was dated May 3rd 1839, St. Thomas N.C. and signed by George Griffiths, Super, 85th Regiment Light Infantry.)

Upon his return home to Dublin, Francis moved in with his niece, Eliza Courtenay, and her husband, William Yorke, who were living at 27 Wellington Street.
 Francis Courtney of Wellington Street was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin on 14th February 1845 by birth, being the son of Thomas Courtney, shearman.
On the Dublin Electoral Roll for 1865, a Francis Courtenay is named as the householder for 27 Wellington Street.
He took part in the 1869 Commission of Inquiry into electoral malpractice in the Dublin elections of 1868.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/02/commission-of-inquiry-1869.html




Wednesday, 6 February 2013

The Children of Charles Jones Junior and Isabella Anna Pennefather

I thought it might be helpful to list the offspring of our maternal great-great grandparents, Charles Jones Junior and Isabella Anna Pennefather....

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/jones-family-of-dublin.html

Charles Jones Junior married twice, his first wife being Emily Sharpe who he married on August 7th 1855.  He had two children by her:

1) Amelia Margaret Jones, named after her mother and grandmother, died aged 5 years and 7 months, on Sunday 8th March 1863 at 1 Stephen's Green North.

2)  Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.
At St. Lukes Church on 18th Feb 1881, the marriage occurred of Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones, the son of Charles Jones Junior and his first wife Emily Sharpe. The bride was Emma Matilda Dunbar of 20 New Street, the daughter of a civil servant James Dunbar of  Eyrecourt, Co. Galway. Witnesses: Hannah Taylor and Thomas J. Nichols.

James Dunbar, a shoemaker at the time of his marriage, was the son of James Dunbar Senior who was the Keeper of the Bridewell in Eyrecourt.  In 1856, James Barton Senior lived at New Roa, Eyrecourt, and was leasing offices and a garden from George E. Eyre, and subletting a house to a Charles Raftery.  In 1854, the Landed Estate Court Rental records show that he was a year-to-year tenant at Parade, Green Trees in Eyrecourt, leasing two small properties, both less than an acre.
 Emma Matilda Dunbar (known to everyone as 'Tilly') had been born to James Junior and his wife, Eliza/Elizabeth Twine on 31st March 1865 in Eyrecourt where James worked as a boot and shoe maker. Eliza Twine was a dressmaker of Southsea whose father had been a clerk in Portsmouth Dockyard.  The couple married in 1854 in Ballinasloe.
(Elizabeth Twine had been born in Portsea, Hampshire, to Charles Twine and Emy Cobden - her mother. Emy, had previously been married to a Thomas Chestle.  Elizabeth was born on 2nd Nov.1823.  Charles and Emy also had John George Twine, born 1816;  Charles Twine Jr., born 1818; George, born 1826;  Joseph, born 1828; and William Henry Twine, born 1835.  The family were Methodist.)
James and Eliza later moved to Dublin where they can be seen on the 1901 census at New Street, Wood Quay, living with their widowed son-in-law, George Mackay of Meath, and  their two granddaughters, Evelyn Matilda Mackay and Amy Elizabeth Mackay.   George Mackay, a teacher, had married Anne Catherine Dunbar (aka Amy Dunbar) in Galway in 1877.
(About the two daughters of George MacKay and Amy Dunbar:  Amy Elizabeth MacKay married Alexander Crowe Dickson (born Dundee in 1882 to William Dickson and Maria Ann Milne) on 14th August 1919 in South Vancouver, Canada.  The other daughter, Evelyn Matilda Mackay was born to George Mackay and Anne Catherine/Amy Dunbar on 22nd July 1879 in Dublin. Evelyn married a bookkeeper, William Caldwell, who had been born in Ireland in about 1882;  Evelyn and William Caldwell emigrated to Canada, he in 1903, and she in 1905. They settled first in Ponoka, Alberta, where the 1906 census recorded them, living with their new-born son, James Caldwell, and with William's brother, Jack. By 1911 they had moved west to South Vancouver where they had a daugher, Evelyn, in 1909.  Evelyn Matilda's sister, Amy MacKay, was living with them in 1911.  Evelyn Matilda and William Caldwell returned home for a visit in 1932;  on their return voyage aboard 'The Duchess of York', they stated that their nearest living relative in Ireland was Mrs. C. Jones of Kincora, 44 Merrion Rd., Dublin.  This was Evelyn Matilda's aunt, Emma Matilda/Tilly Dunbar who had married Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.  Evelyn Matilda Caldwell died on 13th April 1961 in Vancouver.)

20 New Street:   Both Charles Robert Dunbar and Emma Matilda Dunbar were living here with their parents, James and Eliza Dunbar, when they both married in 1891, Charles Robert to Adelaide Victoria Jones, and Emma Matilda to Adelaide's brother, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.
The 1881 Street Directory shows George MacKay, who was married to James and Eliza's third child, Amy Dunbar, as the master of the school of St. Nicholas Without and St. Luke's, address 20 New Street. In 1894, another directory tells us that George MacKay was the Clerk of the Vestry of St. Nicholas Without and St. Luke's.
 James and Eliza Dunbar would later move to 4 Mount Harold Terrace in Rathmines.  Finally, they moved in next door to their daughter, Emma Matilda/Tilly Jones, on Merrion Road - the house was named 'Aldwich', and was close to Granite House where the widowed Isabella Anna Jones and her widowed daughter (my great grandmother), Tennie Dickson, was living.
Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones, who called himself the simpler Charles Jones, later worked as a decorator in the family business in Stephen's Green. He was a hereditary Freeman of the City - the seals passed out of the family when his future daughter-in-law, Elsie, passed them on to her own family following the death of Charles' son, Charles.
Tilly Dunbar Jones, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jone's wife,  had had early access to a library and had become a teacher; she was also a watercolour artist.


The children of Charles and Tilly Jones were as follows:
Amy Jones was born in 1892 while the family were living at Victoria Terrace. She would later marry Jack Saul of Kingstown/DunLaoghaire in 1916. Jack joined up during the First World War and served in France, before becoming a rep. for John Jameson Whisky.  The family lived for some years in England but returned to Ireland when they were bombed out during WWII.
Ida Jones was born to Charles and Tilly on 28th March 1893.  She worked for her father in the family decorating business. During the war she became the secretary to the commandant of the Officers Training Corps at Trinity College. Ida was engaged to a lieutenant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Hebron Barratt, but he was wounded in France in March 1918 and died from his wounds - he was buried at Namps au Val near Amiens. Ida Jones married Percy William Latham of Oakengates, Shropshire who she'd met while on holiday in the Isle of Mann;  they married in St. Mary's, Ballsbridge, in April 1923, and would go on to have three children, Brian (who sent me this info), born 9th March 1924, Norine, 26th Nov.1926 - 9th Sept 2011, and Mary Rose, born 7th Oct 1932.
Frederick Dunbar Jones was born to Charles and Tilly Jones on 19th June 1897 but died soon afterwards.
The twins, Edith and Eleanor Jones, were born to Charles and Tilly  at 1, Victoria Terrace on 10th April 1898.  Edith later married a wine importer of Dublin, Stanley Faulkner, while Eleanor married Oliver Armstrong in about 1921.  The Armstrongs owned the Hamman Hotel near O'Connell Bridge in Dublin;  this hotel was burned down during the civil war because the IRA had been using it as a headquarters.  They moved to Belfast where they ran the Turkish Baths but this was bombed during the Belfast Blitz of WWII.
Charles Arthur Jones was born to Charles and Tilly Jones on 11th June 1896. He trained as an electrical engineer.  An ambulance driver during the WWI,  he was awarded the Mililtary Medal and bar and was mentioned three times in despatches; he was also recommended for the Victoria Cross. He married, firstly, Beatrice Muriel Williams (not related to my mother's Williams family) in 1922. Beatrice died of TB and Charles married, secondly, Elsie Wilhelmina Wallis in 1934. Charles, who worked as a photographer, died on 9th July  1957.   He administered his father's will in 1936.  He had a middle name 'Arthur'.

An advert in a trade magazine for 1922 mentions the family business - 'Charles Jones Junior Ltd., electrical and mechanical engineers. Directors - C. Jones, "Kincora", electrical engineer;  C.F. Beckett, 22 Pembroke Road, builder, contractor;  Secretary - C. Jones Junior. Registered Office - 2 Astons Quay.'

Charles and Tilly Jones with their children, left to right:  Nellie, Edith,  Tilly, Charles Senior,  Charles Junior,  Amy,  Ida.

The family circa 1914.  Photos kindly supplied by Brian Latham, grandson of Charles and Tilly Jones

Emma Matilda/Tilly Jones died on 5th January 1935 at Kincora, Merrion Road, Co. Dublin, and her husband, Charles C.W. Jones was described in the index of wills as a printing contractor.

Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones died on 22nd March 1936 at 'Roseneath', Cowper Gardens, Ranelagh;  his funeral was paid by Mr. Charles Jones Jr. of 136 St. Stephen's Green.

From the Index of Wills:  'Charles Creighton Wickliff Jones of 2 St. Lawrence Road, died 22nd March 1936 at Roseneath, Cowper Gardens, Rathmines. Probate to Keith Munro Meares, solicitor, and Charles Arthur Jones, general contractor.'

On 12th August 1891, Emma Matilda/Tilly Dunbar's brother, Charles Robert Dunbar, married the daughter of Charles and Isabella Jones, Adelaide Victoria Jones of 56 Blessington Street, late of 9 Middle Mountjoy Street, and the witnesses were a B.W. Whyte and Bella Jones who was either Adelaide's mother or her sister. (Same name.)


On the 1st of June 1865, Charles Jones Junior married his second wife, Isabella Anna Pennefather, daughter of John Lysaght Pennefather and Emily Courtenay.
The marriage took place in St. Thomas Church of Cathal Brugha Street.  Charles Jones Junior was living at 2 Lower Pembroke Street off Baggot Street and Isabella Pennefather was living at home with her family at 31 Seville Place  close to Connolly Station.
Isabella was only 17 years old at the time of the marriage and was described as a fiery redhead. It was maintained in the family that her father, John Lysaght Pennefather, had chosen her husband for her. The witnesses were her aunt, Maria Pennefather Bonis (her father's sister), and John Lysaght Pennefather who was either her brother or her father. (Same name.)

Charles Jones Junior operated as a painter/decorator at 2 Lower Pembroke Street and was noted at this address in 1866.  The family, however, lived at Foster Terrace, Royal Canal.
Charles and Isabella Jones spent the early years of their marriage living at 1 Foster Terrace, Royal Canal, which is around the corner from Wellington Street where Isabella had been born in 1848. It was at this address that several of their children were born:

1) Frederick Lysaght Jones, was born at 11 Hawthorne Terrace, Church Road, on 19th Sept 1866.  (Although christened 'Frederick', he was later known as William Lysaght Jones.  William emigrated to the US in 1892 where, on 17th April 1897, he married Emmie Celeste Parcells in Manhattan.  Emmie Celeste had been born to Elisha W. Parcells and Fannie Holland on 5th July 1873 in Manhattan.
 On the 1880 US Census, it was noted that Elisha W. Parcells had been born in 1835 in New Jersey - he was a harness salesman, and had two children - Emma and Harry who had been born in 1870.  Elisha Parcells appeared earlier, aged 29, on the 1860 Census in Essex, New Jersey, and again on the 1850 Census for the West Ward, Essex, New Jersey. This return gave the details for his parents and siblings - his parents were Joseph Parcels, born 1805, and Ann Parcels, born 1804. His siblings were Abigail, born 1832, James born 1836, Josephine born 1838, Mary born 1840 and Frances born 1845.

William Lysaght Jones and his wife, Emmie, seem to have had only the one daughter, Celeste Aida Jones, born to the couple on 11th August 1903.
In 1905 the family were living at 241 West 135th Street, New York City.

 In 1905, the passenger list for the 'Baltic' recorded the family travelling from Liverpool to New York City - they gave their destination as 241 West 135th Street, New York City. Later in 1928, the passenger list for the 'Adriatic', sailing from Cork to NYC,  recorded Celeste Jones, born 11th August 1903, aboard the ship.
In 1910, the family were resident in Queens. In 1920 they had moved to Morris, New Jersey; in 1930 they were in Mountain Lakes, Morris, New Jersey.  The family were still here in 1940, living at 50 Pollard Road;  Celeste was working as a secretary in a savings bank in 1940.

Celeste, who was known to our elderly relations as 'American Celeste', came back to Dublin regularly -  she was friendly with the Mottershed family.  Our maternal greataunt, Emily Eveleen Dickson/Ebbie Dickson, went to visit her in the States once.  A flight passenger list captures her flying from London to New York on 14th April 1951.  Ebbie's destination was the home of her cousin, American Celeste Jones, at 50 Pollard Road, New Jersey, and my mother tells me that this was the time that Celeste's mother, Emmie Celeste Jones, was dying, and it was considered important that a member of the family be present for this.
Another passenger list records American Celeste sailing from Cork to New York in 1955 - she gives a home address of 425 West 23rd Street, New York City.

Celeste Aida Jones died in Dublin on 7th March 1978, and her death was registered at the US Consulate.

2) Adelaide Victoria Jones, aka  Aunt Ada, born 10th Sept. 1868 at 1 Foster Terrace, Royal Canal, and died  10th January 1959.   On 12th August 1891 in St. Luke's, Adelaide married Charles Robert Dunbar;  the same day in the same church, Charles' sister, Emma Matilda Dunbar, married Adelaide's half-brother, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.   Charles Robert and Emma Matilda of 20 New Street were the children of  a civil servant James Dunbar of  Eyrecourt, Co. Galway. The witnesses to the wedding of Emma Matilda Dunbar and Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones were a Hannah Taylor and a Thomas J. Nichols.

James Dunbar, father of Charles Robert and Emma Matilda, was a shoemaker at the time of his marriage - he was the son of James Dunbar Senior who was the Keeper of the Bridewell in Eyrecourt. In 1856, James Barton Senior lived at New Roa, Eyrecourt, and was leasing offices and a garden from George E. Eyre, and subletting a house to a Charles Raftery.  In 1854, the Landed Estate Court Rental records show that he was a year-to-year tenant at Parade, Green Trees in Eyrecourt, leasing two small properties, both less than an acre.
The 'New South Wales Assisted Passengers Lists, 1828 - 1896' (on Ancestry) record a 20 year old Protestant farmer named Joseph Dunbar who, in February 1842, was emigrating to Australia aboard the 'Agnes', having been brought out by Smyth & Co.   A carpenter, he was a native of Eyre Court, Co. Galway, and named his parents as James and Catherine Dunbar.  This was possibly James Dunbar Senior although in 1842 he was stated here to be a weaver rather than a jailkeeper.  A Catherine Dunbar died in the Portumna registration district aged 88 in 1872.

James Dunbar Junior married an Englishwoman, Eliza/Elizabeth Twine, in Donanaghta, Eyrecourt, on 12th September 1854.  Eliza Twine was a dressmaker of Southsea whose father had been a clerk in the Portsmouth Dockyard.
(Elizabeth Twine had been born in Portsea, Hampshire, to Charles Twine and Emy Cobden - her mother. Emy, had previously been married to a Thomas Chestle.  Elizabeth was born on 2nd Nov.1823.  Charles and Emy also had John George Twine, born 1816;  Charles Twine Jr., born 1818; George, born 1826;  Joseph, born 1828; and William Henry Twine, born 1835.  The family were Methodist.)

Charles Robert Dunbar, who would marry Adelaide Victoria Jones in Dublin in 1891, had been born to James and Elizabeth Dunbar in Donanaghta, Eyrecourt, Portumna, Co. Galway, on 18th November 1862, and was baptised there on 4th January 1863.
Emma Matilda Dunbar (known to everyone as 'Tilly') had been born to James Junior and his wife, Eliza/Elizabeth Twine on 31st March 1865 in Eyrecourt, where James Dunbar was working as a boot and shoe maker.
A third child was born to James Dunbar and Eliza Twine in 1877 - Anne Catherine Dunbar.

James and Eliza Dunbar later moved to Dublin where they can be seen on the 1901 census at New Street, Wood Quay, living with their widowed son-in-law, George Mackay of Meath, and  their two granddaughters, Evelyn Matilda Mackay and Amy Elizabeth Mackay.   George Mackay, a teacher, had married Anne Catherine Dunbar (aka Amy Dunbar) in Galway in 1877.
(About the two daughters of George MacKay and Amy Dunbar:  Amy Elizabeth MacKay married Alexander Crowe Dickson (born Dundee in 1882 to William Dickson and Maria Ann Milne) on 14th August 1919 in South Vancouver, Canada.  The other daughter, Evelyn Matilda Mackay was born to George Mackay and Anne Catherine/Amy Dunbar on 22nd July 1879 in Dublin. Evelyn married a bookkeeper, William Caldwell, who had been born in Ireland in about 1882;  Evelyn and William Caldwell emigrated to Canada, he in 1903, and she in 1905. They settled first in Ponoka, Alberta, where the 1906 census recorded them, living with their new-born son, James Caldwell, and with William's brother, Jack. By 1911 they had moved west to South Vancouver where they had a daugher, Evelyn, in 1909.  Evelyn Matilda's sister, Amy MacKay, was living with them in 1911.  Evelyn Matilda and William Caldwell returned home for a visit in 1932;  on their return voyage aboard 'The Duchess of York', they stated that their nearest living relative in Ireland was Mrs. C. Jones of Kincora, 44 Merrion Rd., Dublin.  This was Evelyn Matilda's aunt, Emma Matilda/Tilly Dunbar who had married Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.  Evelyn Matilda Caldwell died on 13th April 1961 in Vancouver.)

20 New Street:   Both Charles Robert Dunbar and Emma Matilda Dunbar were living here with their parents, James and Eliza Dunbar, when they both married in 1891, Charles Robert to Adelaide Victoria Jones, and Emma Matilda to Adelaide's brother, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.

The 1881 Street Directory shows George MacKay, who was married to James and Eliza's third child, Amy Dunbar, as the master of the school of St. Nicholas Without and St. Luke's, address 20 New Street. In 1894, another directory tells us that George MacKay was the Clerk of the Vestry of St. Nicholas Without and St. Luke's.
 James and Eliza Dunbar would later move to 4 Mount Harold Terrace in Rathmines.  Finally, they moved in next door to their daughter, Emma Matilda/Tilly Jones, on Merrion Road - the house was named 'Aldwich', and was close to Granite House where the widowed Isabella Anna Jones and her widowed daughter (my great grandmother), Tennie Dickson, was living.
Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones, who called himself the simpler Charles Jones, later worked as a decorator in the family business in Stephen's Green. He was a hereditary Freeman of the City - the seals passed out of the family when his future daughter-in-law, Elsie, passed them on to her own family following the death of Charles' son, Charles.
Tilly Dunbar Jones, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jone's wife,  had had early access to a library and had become a teacher; she was also a watercolour artist.

Charlie Dunbar worked in an insurance company in 1901, but by the time of the 1911 census he was living on ‘independent means’.  Robert James Mottershed, who  lived with the couple, died on 13th January 1929, aged 66, at Carisbrooke House, 124 Pembroke Road (the home of Isabella Anna Jones who was the mother of Adelaide Victoria Jones) and the childless Dunbars took his son, Percy, under their wing.  Percy Mottershed of 5 Harcourt Terrace settled the Nichols' funeral account following the death of his father.  Aunt Ada and Charlie Dunbar, in common with much of this family, engaged in property development. Apparently they would live in a house, do it up, then move quickly to the next one - this was at the prompting of the childless Aunt Ada who had clearly been badly bitten by the property bug. Charlie Dunbar was not so enthusiastic, and eventually in their later years, he could take the constant moving no longer, and the couple separated.  (In 1901 they had all been living at 289.1 Gilford Road in Donnybrook; in 1911 they were at 10 Elton Park, Kingstown/DunLaoghaire.)

Charles Robert Dunbar died on 9th December 1938 at 'Menloe', 21 Alma Road, Monkstown. Despite the separation, his wife, Ada, organised an affectionate headstone for him in Mount Jerome:
  'In loving memory of my dear husband, Charles Robert Dunbar, who departed this life 9th December 1938. I thank God upon every remembrance of you.'
  Will of Charles Robert Dunbar:  'Charles Robert Dunbar of Menloe, Alma-road, Monkstown, county Dublin, died 9th December 1938. Administration London 20 January to Adelaide Victoria Dunbar. Effects £3305 in England.'

The Irish Times published an obituary Adelaide Victoria Jones' husband, Charles Robert Dunbar, on December 17th 1938:
    'Mr Charles Robert Dunbar who died December 9th at his residence, Menlo, Alma Road, Monkstown, was a native of Galway who settled in Dublin over fifty years ago and held a position on the clerical staff of Messrs. Todd, Burns & Co.   Afterwards he was connected with the insurance business for several years, holding important positions.  He was also a member of the Masonic Order to the funds of which he contributed liberally.  In later years Mr. Dunbar entered into the building trade, and became a large holder of business properties in Dublin City and of private house properties in the suburbs. While residing in the Pembroke district, he was a prominent member of the Pembroke Urban District Council.'

Adelaide Dunbar, née Jones, died at 80 Park Avenue, Sandymount, on 10th January 1959; the informant was her nephew, Percy Mottershed of 15 Trees Road, Mount Merrion.

3) Henry Arthur Jones, was born at 1 Foster Terrace on 19th December 1870.  This child died when very young in 1872.

By 1872, the family had moved down the road to 9 Middle Mountjoy Street where the following births occur:

 4) Robert Oscar Jones, born 11th February 1873, died 20th December 1947 at St. Catherines, Newtownsmith, DunLaoghaire, Co. Dublin.  On 3rd Feb 1897, Robert Oscar Jones married Adelina Maude Pelissier (died 13th October 1938), the daughter of Edward Pelissier of 58 Blessington Street. Witnesses: Edward Pelissier and Meta Alexandra Reid.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/02/the-pelissier-family-of-dublin-and.html

Adelina Maude Jones, née Pelissier with one of her daughters.
Adelina Maude Jones died on 13th October 1938 and was buried in Mount Jerome alongside her husband Robert Oscar Jones who died 20th December 1947, and his second wife, Eva. H. Jones,who died 25th April 1987.

The children of Robert Oscar Jones and Adelina Maude Pelissier were:

  • Ruby Jones was born at Glenbeigh, Clontarf, on 19th January 1899. 
  • Lilian Adelina Jones, born at Heath House, Clontarf, on 12th January 1902.
  • Alice Muriel Patricia Jones born 17th March 1903 at 39 Strand Road; she died of convulsions aged 2 months, on 10th May 1903.
  • Rhoda Blanche Jones born at Highfield, Howth on 13th November 1904; she died of meningitis aged only 8 months at Highfield on 21st july 1905.
  • Charles Oscar Jones, born 3rd March 1906 at Highfield, Howth, died 10th September 1946.
  • Greta Isabel Jones, at Highfield, Howth, on 9th November 1907.
On 18th April 1928, Ruby Jones, daughter of Robert Oscar Jones of Fortfield Lodge, Terenure, married the solicitor, Robert Evan Felton of Oakley Road, son of the solicitor Edward Felton. This was witnessed by Lilian Jones and W.F.A. Harkness.  A son was David Felton.

The son of Robert Oscar Jones and Adelina Maude Pelissier, Charles Oscar Jones, married Josephine Monica Lenehan (6th June 1906 - 26th October 2000) on 20th April 1930, and had eight children, all of whom married in Canada - Ria Jones, born 3rd November 1930, and who married Peter Byrne of Bray;  Ann Jones who married August Kloppenburg of Semerang, Dutch East Indies;   Eleanor Jones who married Pat O'Connor of Dungarvan; Robert Daniel Jones who never married;   Noeleen Jones,born 21st December 1936, died 16th August 2005, who married Frank McGregor of England;  Olive Jones who married John Gerard Maguinnes of Limerick, then of Bray, and who kindly supplied me with the following family photos;  Patricia Jones who married  Vlado Accola of Switzerland;  Stephen Jones who married Rose Talosig of the Philippines.

Charles Oscar Jones

Josephine Lenehan
Charles Oscar Jones and Josephine Lenehan

1945, left to right: Baby Stephen, Charles Oscar Jones, Ria, Ann, Eleanor, Dan, Noeleen, Olive, Patricia. 

A quantity surveyor, Charles Oscar Jones worked as a quantity surveyor alongside his father, Robert Oscar Jones, in the family building firm of R.O.Jones & Son at 138 Stephen's Green.   Charles died from TB, aged only 39 on 10th September 1946 at Arranmore, Sidmonton Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow, (the year before his father died), leaving his widow, Monica, to rear their eight children alone in Bray, Co. Wicklow - they all emigrated permanently to Canada in the 1950s.

On 15th June 1932 in St. Joseph's, Crumlin, Lilian Jones of Fortfield Lodge, Terenure, daughter of Robert Oscar Jones, married the clerk, Morgan North of 10 Kenilworth Park, son of victualler Francis North.  The witnesses were Margaret McClean and Valentine Ignatius North.  Lilian Jones and Morgan North are believed to have emigrated to Australia at some point.

On 5th June 1940 in St. Andrew's, Greta Isabel Jones of the Moira Hotel, Dublin, daughter of contractor Robert Oscar Jones JP, married the widowed civil engineer Ernest George Croker of 42 High Street, Poole, Dorsetshire, the son of George Frederick Croker.  The witnesses were Robert Evan Felton and Joseph Malcolmson.
The couple had a son, Edward Robert Felton, on 15th September 1929;  a law student, living at 34 Belgrave Park in Monkstown, he died aged 19 of appendicitis on 7th September 1949, and was buried in Deansgrange Cemetery.  His parents would be buried alongside him - Robert Evan Felton on 25th October 1959 and Ruby Felton, née Jones, on 30th December 1983.

In 1901, Robert Oscar Jones and Ada/Adelina Jones were living at 34 Howth Road. His widowed mother and her family were on the same street at No. 14.  Robert Oscar was working in the family business and gave his profession as a Master Decorator, House Painter and Decorator.  The couple had a 2-year-old daughter, Ruby. By 1911 they had moved to 7, St.Alban’s Terrace in Glasnevin and Robert Oscar had morphed into a builder and contractor, presumably in property development too.

Adelina Maude died on 13th October 1838 at 'Bloomfield', Donnybrook - her funeral (Nicholls) was paid for by Robert Oscar Jones of Fortfield Lodge, Terenure. Following her death, Robert Oscar married his housekeeper, Evelyn (Eva) Harrietta Finch, in 1944.  She died on 25th April 1987 aged 89 and was buried alongside her late husband, Robert Oscar Jones, and his first wife, Adelina Maude/Ada, in Mount Jerome.

Robert Oscar Jones had died on 20th December 1947 in what may be an institution, St. Catherines, Newtownsmith, Dun Laoghaire.  His death was registered by his widow, second wife, Evelyn harriet Jones. His will was administered by his own son-in-law, the solicitor, Robert Evan Felton.  Robert Oscar Jones appeared on the Dublin Electoral List for 1939/1940, working at 37a York Street, with a home address at Fortfield Lodge, Templeogue.   A Charles A.Jones also appeared on the list, working nearby at 136 Stephen’s Green, and with a home address at Belgard, Balally Hill, Sandyford.  Was this Robert Oscar’s son, Charles Oscar Jones, I wonder?  The family business, known as ‘R.O.Jones & Sons Ltd.’ was known to be at 138 Stephens Green, but it might have moved two doors down by 1939.  Although his mother’s family was Church of Ireland, Robert Oscar Jones was a member of the Plymouth Brethren baptists.


5) Isabella Alexandrina Jones, (aka Bella), born 18th June 1875, died 27th July 1900.
On 21st April 1897, Isabella Alexandra Jones of 56 Blessington Street, married Robert James Mottershed, 16 Blessington Street, an engineer of Liverpool, the son of a John Mottershed. The witnesses were our great-grandmother, Tennie/Emily Eveleen Jones and Percy A. Hay of 49 Belgrave Square. Percy's father, David Alexander Hay, earlier witnessed the marriage of Isabella Pennefather Jones' uncle, William Westby Pennefather, to Emma Hay in 1856.
Robert James Mottershed was worked with the railway, and was a close colleague of Percy A. Hay.

Isabella and Robert Mottershed would remain living at 16 Blessington Street where their only son, Percival Charles Mottershed,  would be born on 25th January 1898.

Isabella/Bella Mottershed died of accidental haemorrhage on 27th July 1900 at 16 Blessington Street, aged only 25, and was buried in Mount Jerome alongside her parents - Charles Jones who had died on 14th May 1893 and her mother, Isabella Anna Jones, who would die aged 94 on 31st May 1942.

On both the 1901 and 1911 Census, Robert and his son Percy had either been living or visiting with Robert's in-laws, Charles Robert and Adelaide V. Dunbar.
Robert Mottershed died at his mother-in-law's residence, Carisbrooke House, 124 Pembroke Road, on 13th January 1929 and his funeral was paid for by his son, Percival Charles Mottershed of 5 Harcourt Terrare.   F.O. Farrell of 25 Claremount Road buried him, according to his official registration of death details - Robert's son, Percy Mottershed, had married into the Farrell family.

Percy Mottershed, the son of Isabella Alexandra Jones and Robert James Mottershed, married, on November 10th 1928, in St. Matthias' Church, Nellie Farrell, the daughter of newspaper proprietor, Frederick John Farrell;  Percy's address at the time was given as Hatherton, Milltown.  Nellie was the second daughter of Frederick John Farrell and Sophia Wallis of Claremount Road, Sandymount, and previously of Mullingar, Westmeath.  The witnesses were F.J. Farrell and Mary Clarke.

In 1941, Percy Mottershed, of 15 Trees Road, Mount Merrion, Dublin, made a donation to the Northern Refugee Fund, which was to help residents of Belfast following the German Blitz of the city earlier that same year.

6) Emily Eveline Jones, aka Tennie, our great-grandmother, was born on 30th Dec. 1876, and was registered as Emily Anna Jones;  she died at Granite House, Pembroke Road on 7th March 1946.

Our maternal great grandparents: on the 18th August 1897 in St Mary Church/the Black Church,  Emily Eveleen Jones/Tennie married Joseph Edwards Dickson, a coal merchant of 15 Northumberland Road. He had been born to Henry Dickson a farmer of Benburb, Dungannon, County Tyrone.  Emily was living at the family home in 56 Blessington Street and her father was noted on the certificate as Charles Jones, Decorator; there was no indication that he had died four years earlier however.
The witnesses were Tennie's brother, Robert Oscar Jones, and a William James Hardy who seems to have been a friend of Joseph Dickson from the Dungannon area.
Tennie, our great grandmother, was widowed in 1905 when her husband, Joseph Edwards Dickson, died - Tennie moved into her mother’s home in Howth along with her young family, and mother and daughter lived together until Isabella Jones’ death on May 31st 1942.

Tennie died of oesophageal cancer on 30th December 1946 at her mother's residence, Granite House on Pembroke Road;  the informant of death was her grandson, my mother's brother, Maurice Williams.

The children of Emily Eveline Jones and Joseph Edward Dickson are here:
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/joseph-edwards-dickson-of-tyrone-and.html

7) Anna Marie Antoinette Jones , born 1st September 1878, died 6th January 1944.  She married twice - firstly to Thomas Herbert Smith  (19th March 1873 - 21st November 1920) and secondly to William George Meaney, who died 20th May 1853.

Anna Marie Antoinette was known as Marie, or sometimes as Annie.

In 1901 Anna Marie was living at home with her widowed mother, Isabella Jones, at 14 Howth Road, but, in 1908, she married a man who had recently returned from working in Australia, Thomas Herbert Smith. By 1911, the young couple were living at 4 Drumcondra Park.
Thomas was working as a manager in the Jones family decorating business, and was also buying and renovating property.

Thomas Herbert Smith had been born on 19th March 1873 to the Limerick-born accountant William Webster Smith and to his Dublin-born wife Eleanor/Ellen Verdon.  William Webster Smith, son of the land agent Thomas Smith, had married, in St. Luke's, Dublin,on 13th June 1871, Ellen Verdon, daughter of the whitesmith or ironmonger Patrick Verdon and of his wife Rosanna Burton.   At the time of the marriage in 1871, William Webster Smith gave his address as both 36 Long Lane and also 5 Kildare Street, possibly his place of work.
Their son, Thomas Herbert Smith, was born in 1873 at 34 Longwood Avenue, and a daughter, Eleanor Rosa Smith was born here the following year on 26th March 1874.  Edith Smith was born on 8th September 1877 at 49 Mount Pleasant Square, Rathmines, a Christina Eveline Smith was born at 31 Heytebury Street on 26th April 1879  but she might not have survived, Clara Smith was born in 1882, Albert Smith was born in 1884 at 81 Marlborough Road, Ranelagh, Mabel Smith was born in 1895, William Webster Smith in 1886 and Frank Smith in 1889.  Son William W. Smith would later marry Eveline Grace Shaw, the daughter of James and Ellen Shaw, in Tottenham in 1911 where William worked in the GPO sorting office.

In both 1901 and 1911, the Irish census shows the family of Thomas Herbert Smith living in Burrow, Howth, where the Jones family was also living at this time.

William Webster Smith Senior's father, the land agent Thomas Smith, might have been the Thomas Smith who married Margaret Webster in 1829 in Dublin.

William Webster Smith had a brother, Thomas Smith, who had been born in Co. Donegal to the land agent Thomas Smith, and who married Christina Jane Verdon (1846 - 1918), who was also the daughter of the Dublin ironmonger Patrick Verdon and Rosanna Burton, ie, the two Smith brothers married the two Verdon sisters.  The stationmaster in Tanderagee at the time of his marriage in St. Luke's, Dublin, on 21st July 1869,  Thomas Smith Junior later settled in Ballyconaghy, Warrenpoint, Co. Down, where he worked as a farm manager. He and his wife, Christina Jane, had numerous children - Maude Alice Smith born Tanderagee on 24th April 1870, plus Thomas Smith born 1870, Alice Emily Smith born Dundalk on 18th June 1871, Christina Mary Smith born 15th November 1872 in Louth, Harry Smith born 1874, Ida Mary Smith born Co. Down on 4th May 1876, Constance Maude Smith born 1st February 1878, Daisy Smith born 1880, Charles R.Smith born 1884 and George W. Smith (1886 - 1941).

Patrick Verdon and Rosanna Burton of Kevin Street, Dublin, (who had married in Powerscourt, Co. Wicklow, on 9th February 1846) had other children along with Eleanor Verdon and Christina Jane Verdon.  A son was the bookkeeper William Verdon who, on 15th September 1882, married Elizabeth Winter, the daughter of the bookkeeper Joseph Winter. A Margaret Verdon was born to Patrick and Rosanna on 15th April 1854 at 26 Kevin Street.  William Webster Smith acted as one of the witnesses on 21st September 1882 when his sister-in-law, Margaret Elizabeth Verdon, married the law clerk, Edward Carleton Barnwell, son of John Barnwell.
Patrick Verdon was noted in the papers of the day as an enthusiastic Loyalist canvasser for the St. Werburgh's electoral ward. In 1867 Patrick Verdon of 31 Mill Street represented the Guild of Smiths at the Trades Conference in the Mansion House.

By her first marriage to Thomas Herbert Smith, Anna Maria Antoinette Jones had three children:
     a) Percival William Webster Smith (11th April 1910 at Waverley House, Botanic Road, Glasnevin - 22nd June 1984) who married Eileen Evelyn Kerr.
     b) Celeste Evelyn Antoinette Smith, born 14th October 1914 in Montebello, Howth.
     c) Cecil Herbert Smith (25th March 1917 - 24th December 1990), who married Gwen Bowlby.

Thomas Herbert Smith died in tragic circumstances on 21st November 1920 at 117 Haddington Road and Anna Marie subsequently remarried in 1929.

Her second husband, the builder William George Meaney, already  had three children of his own:
 
d) Elsie Meaney who was born at 118 University Avenue, Belfast, on 11th August 1908; on 21st November 1929 in Sandymount Church, she married clerk Dudley William Walshe of 110 Pembroke Road, the son of a chemist Thomas Henry Walshe. At the time of the wedding, she was livng at home in 15 Gilford Avenue, Sandymount.
 
 e) Frederick William Meaney, born 16th April 1910 at 118 University Avenue, Belfast - 26th June 1956.  Frederick William Meaney, an insurance inspector, died at Bide-a-While, Ballinacurra, Limerick, on 26th June 1956; his widow was Edith Meaney.  I believe, although I haven't seen the marriage registration, that she was Edith Harriet Welsh, since both married in North Dublin in July-Sept. 1945.
 
 f) Maureen Meaney - she was registered as Mary Meaney, born  3rd November 1913 at 13 Marguerite Road, North Dublin - 4th December 1993.  On 1st August 1940 in Ballybrack Catholic Church, Maureen Meaney of 54 Morehampton Road, Donnybrook, daughter of builder William George Meaney, married John T. Doyle, a commercial traveller of Sunnybank, Bray, the son of a merchant James Doyle.  Kevin Doyle and Doris Watson were the witnesses.

William George Meaney had been born in Dromore, Co. Down, on 13th April 1877, to George Meany and Mary Dogherty.  His father was noted as a 'nailor' which I presume is something to do with the building trade.
William George Meaney married his first wife, Susan Elizabeth Derry in Belfast in 1870. Susan Elizabeth was the daughter of Wesley Derry and Susanna Porter.

William and Susan Meaney must have moved south to Dublin at some stage -  Susanna Elizabeth Meaney, of 121 Royse Terrace, Phibsborough, died of uterine cancer on 17th July 1916 in Dublin.

As a builder, I wonder did William George Meaney have business dealing with the Jones family who were deeply involved with property development and contracting?  Was this how he came into contact with the widowed Anna Maria Smith, née Jones?

Anna Marie's second marriage took place in the Registrar's Office on 1st August 1929. William George Meaney, a widowed contractor of 15 Guildford Avenue, Sandymount, was the son of the late George Meaney, while Marie Antoinette Smith, or Jones, was a widow of 54 Morehampton Road, Donnybrook.  The witnesses were her sister-in-law, Emilie Mabel Jones, née Lloyd, and a Dudley Walshe.

Anna Marie Antoinette Meaney, née Jones, died at 54 Morehampton Rd., Ballsbridge, Dublin, on 6th January 1944, and her will was administered by her younger brother, Percival Albert Jones.

Her husband, William George Meaney, died on 20th May 1953 at 28 Farney Park, Sandymount, which seems to have been the home of his son, Frederick William Meaney, who was the informant of death.

 Mount Jerome headstone:  'In loving memory of Marie, beloved wife of W.G. Meaney, died 6th January 1944.  Also William George Meaney called home 20th May 1953, and his son Frederick William, beloved husband of Edith Meaney called home 26th June 1956 aged 46.'

8)  Percival Albert Jones, 22nd March 1881, died 7th May 1956.
 Isabella's youngest son, Percival Albert Jones, married Emily Mabel Lloyd in the Plymouth Brethren church, Merrion Hall, on 4th September 1907.  Percival, aka Percy, was living at the family home of 'Belmont', Nashville Road, Howth, and was a master contractor, working in the family business. His father, Charles Jones, was, of course, dead.  Emily Mabel's father was William James Lloyd, an official with the Bank of Ireland, who lived at Lambert Lodge, Sandymount Avenue.  The witnesses were Frederick G. Chipperfield and Lily Lloyd.

Emily Mabel Lloyd had been born to the bank clerk, William Lloyd, and Annie Buckley at Castle Street, Dalkey, South Dublin, on 24th July 1885; she would died on 26th August 1951. Her father, William Lloyd, was a prominent member of the Plymouth Brethren congregation at Merrion Hall.  William James Lloyd died at Arsallagh, Sydney Parade, Dublin, on 20th March 1918, and his daughter, Emily Mabel Jones, administered his estate.

From The Irish Times :  'Jones and Lloyd - September 4th 1907, at Merrion Hall, Dublin, Percival Albert, son of the late Charles Jones and Mrs. Jones of Ashbourne, Howth, to Emilie Mabel, younger daughter of William J. Lloyd of 2 Lambert Terrace, Sandymount Avenue, Co. Dublin,'

From Mount Jerome Cemetery: 'In memory of Emily Mabel, wife of Percy A. Jones, August 29th 1951;  and Percy A. Jones, died May 7th 1956.'

Percy Jones was a director of the family business 'C.Jones & Sons Ltd.', decorators and contractors whose headquarters were at 114 Stephens Green, Dublin.  An advert of 1916 gives their phone number as 2188, and a telegram address as 'Beautify Dublin'.  Their business premises held joinery workshops and timber stores which extended to Cuffe Lane, as well as a full range of plumbing, electric lighting fixtures and heating systems.
The National Library holds the 1915/1916 household records of a Major Dopping-Heppenstall of 73 Harcourt Street - the records show that the Jones carried out much of the maintenance work for a variety of his rental properties around Dublin including his own residence in Harcourt Street.  The work included painting and decorating, fixing broken windows, building up a cement parapet at 74 Harcourt Street (which work was carried out by a man named Geraghty who worked for the Jones).
Jones & Sons also did much work for Percy Jones' father-in-law, William J. Lloyd, who must have been renting his home at 69 Sandymount Avenue in 1915/1916 from Major Dopping-Heppenstal.  In 1914, for example, Jones & Sons painting the drawingroom ceiling and a bedroom for the Lloyds. Later the same year they installed electricity.  In March 1916, Percy Jones wrote to Major Dopping-Heppenstal to tender for the painting works at 69 Sandymount Avenue since the Lloyd family would soon be moving out and the new tenants might require some renovations.



The children of Percival Albert Jones and Emily Mabel Lloyd were:
   
a) Doris Mabel Jones who was born on 1st June 1908 at Kilcarne, Ailesbury Park, Ballsbridge, and who died on 14th April 1996), married Cyril Chipperfield (10th December 1911 - 1986). Their three children were Keith Chipperfield  who married Ruth Cochrane, Trevor Cyril Chipperfield  who married Julia Szabo, and Stuart Chipperfield (born 1948) who married Sharon Andrews.
 
b) Norman Ernest Lindley Jones (24th December 1910 - 18th January 1975) who married Dorothy Alison Lewis (born 14th September 1911).  Their children were Ivor Norman Lindley Jones (born 1937) who married Hilary Savage;  Adrian Lindley Jones  who married Melanie Eve Williamson;  Hilary Doris Jones who married David Spurgeon.

c) Eleanor Enid Jones (born 3.8.1913) who married Walter James Prescott (born 29.8.1912).  This marriage took place at the Plymouth Brethren meeting place, Merrion Hall, on 7th September 1938. Walter James Prescott was a clerk of Terenure, the son of retired civil servant Robert Law Prescott, while Eleanor Enid Jones, the daughter of house decorator, Percival Jones, was living at Ardsallagh, Sydney Parade, Sandymount.   Mabel Jones and Robert Alexander McCabe were the witnesses.

The children of Eleanor Enid Jones and Walter James Prescott were Meriel Law Prescott who married Derek B.Symons;  Timothy Walter Law Prescott  who married Ann Sharp;  Gay/Gayle Law Prescott  who married Lawrence/Laurie Dick;  Sallie Law Prescott  who married Michael Coley.















Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Commission of Inquiry 1869

This post concerns an enquiry into electoral malpractice in Dublin in 1869 which was widely reported in the papers of the day.  Many of my mother's immediate ancestors were called to give witness, and their testimony gives a fascinating glimpse into the lives of cash-strapped middle-class Dubliners at that time. 


In 1868 Sir Arthur Edward Guinness, 1st Lord Ardilaun, was elected as the Conservative MP for Dublin;  his election was voided, however, when it was discovered that his electoral agent had used bribery to ensure the candidate's success - the subsequent Commission of Inquiry, which took place in 1869, came to the conclusion that Guinness was unaware of the corruption and he was eventually returned to office in 1874.  
The bribery itself consisted of Conservative canvassers offering cash or work to the Freemen electors of the Dorset Street area of Dublin - those who voted for Guinness, or who persuaded other to do likewise, were issued with a railway ticket which could be exchanged later for cash.   
Local Freemen, resident in the Dorset Street area, were called before the Commission to give evidence, amongst whom were several of our ancestors, namely William Yorke and his wife, Eliza Courtenay/Courtney,  their son Henry Yorke, Herbert Moore who was married to Mary Courtenay, and the elderly Francis Courtenay, who gave invaluable information about his older brother, our immediate ancestor, Frederick Courtenay.

The commission found that John Pennefather, our great-great-great grandfather, who was married to Emily Courtenay, and who had been admitted to the Freemen in 1845, had offered his services gratuitously on behalf of the Conservative candidates in the 1868 election.  John Pennefather died on 29th March 1869, so couldn't be called to give evidence at the commission. 
None of the following people, all called to give evidence to the commission, were found guilty of any illicit practice in regards to the election, although William Yorke comes across as slightly suspect!  Francis Courtenay's name was spelt as 'Courtney' but I'm using the spelling the family finally settled on, ie, 'Courtenay';  likewise, the commission report spelt William's family name as 'York', whereas the correct spelling was 'Yorke' which I use here.

Francis Courtenay, 27 Wellington Street:
Francis Courtenay was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin in 1845 by birth - his father, Thomas Courtney, had been admitted in 1789.  Francis Courtenay, who had been born in Dublin in about 1794, and who served with the 85th Regiment of Foot from Ist January 1817 until 31st December 1839. 
Francis Courtenay of 27 Wellington Street was called to give evidence. He was infirm and almost deaf. He had voted for Guinness and Plunkett at the last election.  This time Pim had canvassed him, not personally, but by sending him his card.  Francis confirmed that he lived in the house of William Yorke, ie, 27 Wellington Street.  Francis walked down to the voting station, using an umbrella as a walking stick.  He didn't see William Yorke on the way.  Feeling ill, he voted and returned home to bed.  (William Yorke was married to Francis's niece, Eliza Courtenay.)
Herbert Moore, was mentioned... did Francis Courtenay know of the house in which Herbert lived?  He did. It was the house beside the Temperance Hall. (The Temperance Hall on Halston Street was the location of one of the local polling booths.)
Francis, on arrival at the station, was asked by a young man who he wished to vote for;  Francis told him Guinness and Plunkett, so the young man showed him to what Francis presumed was the correct booth.  Francis didn't recognise the young man;  the young man didn't show him any railway ticket.
Francis had been living in William Yorke's house since 1843.  At that time, Yorke had been a member of the police force. Mentioned that, early on in his career, Yorke had been 'confined' following a minor argument with a colleague.
Yorke's son was employed at the committee rooms on Dorset Street. There was a suspicion, according to William Yorke, that Francis would not go down to vote unless he was paid £5 to do so;  Francis denied this.
Stated that he didn't speak too much to York, despite sharing a house wih him.
Francis had left his job for good in 1851 - he had been a staff officer's clerk and was now in receipt of a pension.  He did not receive any money at this election, nor at the last.  He didn't know if William Yorke had received anything, since Yorke was so reserved that he would not even tell his own wife if he had.
Francis was currently confined to bed, suffering from debility and weakness.  He had been discharged from the army for the same reason.  Every Sunday he would walk to Christchurch Cathedral for the 10 o'clock service.
His brother, Frederick Courtenay, had not been in Ireland for a long time - Frederick was also a Freeman;  he had had a job as a librarian of the Royal Barracks.

Mary Moore, née Courtenay, Halston Street:
Evidence of Mary Moore, née Courtenay (her sister, Emily Courtenay was married to John Pennefather; these were our great-great-great grandparents.):
On 27th July 1878, Mary and Herbert Moore had moved from 27 Wellington St to Halston St.  George Arthur Thompson had been lodging with them, on and off, in both houses.  He owed them 14s. in rent which he paid off on the day of the election, telling Mary that he had received £5 on that particular day - she didn't know where the money had come from.  She testified that she lived next door to the Temperance Hall (where the voting booth was) on Halston Street, and that there had been crowds of unruly people outside the Hall on the evening of the election; even the police were unruly.  
Mary testified she knew George Hall who worked for the railway. (George Hall was her brother-in-law, married to Mary's sister Adelaide Anne Courtenay.)

Evidence of Mary's husband, Herbert Moore:
He lived in Halston Street, and had come to Dublin from Cork.  He worked firstly, for seven and a half years, as a policeman with the Dublin police, then spent about nine years working for the penal service/prisons. Following his time with the prison service, he worked as a carpenter at Broadstone Station, repairing waggons there for about three years. He had had no formal training in carpentry, but had a talent for it.  After this, he worked for a few years as a carpenter at Todd, Burns & Co. in Mary St.   He had spent the previous four and a half years at Guinness's, working as a gate-keeper.
His wife, Mary, had taken the decision to move to Halston St. a few weeks before the election - Herbert left these matters to his wife; he was always home too late from work in the evenings to be bothered with such matters.
He had been on the election committee for Sir Arthur Guinness, and had visited the committee rooms accordingly on Dorset St a number of times. On the day of the election, Herbert was the 'personating agent' in Capel St. and spent the entire day of the election at the polling booth there.  Herbert testified that the only man he knew who worked for the railways was his friend George Hall, who would also go to the committee rooms on Dorset St.

George Hall, husband of Adelaide Anne Courtenay:                  
Evidence of George Hall, who had married Adelaide Anne Courtenay in 1851. Adelaide Ann was the sister of Mary Moore and Emily Pennefather;  their father was Frederick Courtenay, and their uncle was Francis Courtenay.
George said he was one of the senior clerks with the Midland Railway Company. The commission was primarily interested in a few of his colleagues, not him. George Hall was a Freeman himself, and had worked on the committee  on behalf of Guinness. George Hall lived in Little Mounjoy Street/Middle Mountjoy Street, and was a member of the local Orange Lodge.
          

William Yorke was married to Eliza Courtenay:
William Yorke testified that he lived at 27 Wellington Street, worked as a painter, and had been a Freeman for the past 6 or 7 years.  He had previously worked as a ship-joiner at Walpole, Webb and Bewley's ship-builders at the North Wall.
Said that he and his daughter, Eliza Yorke aged 16, had a small shop at 125 Dorset Street and a second one at 47 Phibsborough Road which was run by a younger daughter, aged 14.   Both shops were chandlers, selling soap, tobacco and other things.  He had taken both shops on recently, because of his ill health, and to give both of his daughters something to do during the day. He would accompany them both home to Wellington Street in the evenings.  He also had two sons, both coach-painters, one 24 and the other 21.  The younger one still lived at home;  the older one worked 'across the water' (ie, south of the Liffey).
William Yorke's father had died in about 1840. His son, Henry Yorke, had been employed in the election committee rooms at Dorset Street for a week during the election, and was paid £1. 
William's brother-in-law, the railway clerk, George Hall who was married to Adelaide Anne Courtenay, had lodged in apartments in 27 Wellington Street with them about 14 or 15 years ago.
In 1865, William Yorke had worked as a painter, for the Midland Great Western Railway Company, painting the rolling stock there.
William had taken out his freedom of Dublin in 1865 by virtue of marriage to Eliza Courtenay - her father, he testified, was Frederick Courtenay, currently a pensioner in the Chelsea Hospital in England.  Frederick had been in England for the previous 12 to 15  years. In 1869 he was believed by William Yorke to be about 80 or 87 year of age, born between 1782 and 1789. The committee at this stage of the examination confused Frederick with his brother, Francis Courtney/Courtenay (the report uses both spellings of the name).  William confirmed that Frederick's younger brother, Francis, a freeman, lived with him at 27 Wellington Street, and that Francis was unwell, spending much of the time in bed.
Canvassers came to his house and offered him a week's work for £1 4s.,  as well as transport - a car - to take him to the polling booth.  He declined this offer since he was already working.  A William J. Campbell then testified that, on the day of the election,  he had offered to get William Yorke £5 if he voted, and Yorke had promised to give him £1 of it, if this actually came about. Campbell then saw Yorke talking in Halston Street to a young man with a glass eye who gave a ticket to Yorke. Yorke later gave Campbell his £1.   Yorke vigorously denied this, saying he never carried money on him, but always passed it on immediately to his wife, Eliza. She had paid the rent sometime after the election, when she sold four pigs that she kept in the large yard of their house -  'There is a very extensive yard on the premises,' he said, 'and my wife manages to have these to meet this - like every other Irishman - a pig to meet the rent.' 

Eliza Yorke, néé Eliza Courtenay, was married to William Yorke, and was the sister of Adelaide Anne Hall, Emily Pennefather, and Mary Moore:
      Eliza Yorke came to Halston Street on the day of the election to see her sister, Mary Moore.  She had been at Mary's house a few minutes when she noticed her  brother-in-law, John Pennefather, who was married to another Courtenay sister, Emily, passing the door.  Said Pennefather was also a Freeman but had died since then.  Shortly afterwards her husband, William Yorke, arrived, and they went home to Wellington Street where he spent some time in the garden.  She stated that at the time of the election he worked at Walpole, Webb and Bewley's ship-yard on the North Wall, and was about to become ill at that time;  because of the cold weather he had decided also to start growing a beard.
Canvassers from both sides had called to the house to solicit a vote from her husband. One of them had made offer of a job to him, but she wasn't sure who it was who made the offer.
Rent and taxes on their house - 27 Wellington Street - amounted to £20 a year.  There was currently no direct owner of the property, as such, it being held under the courts due to the case of Gardner against Blessington which was currently in progress.  Eliza Yorke kept pigs in the yard which she sold on to make the rent money.
Eliza had heard nothing about a man offering railway tickets to people prior to the election;  her husband, William, had never been in receipt of either a ticket or a £5 note.
         
Henry Yorke, son of William Yorke and Eliza Courtenay:
Not a freeman, Henry was employed as a clerk/tallyman for the day of the election at the Dorset Street committee rooms, marking off the names of those who had voted.  He worked there for the one day and was paid a sovereign, not a £1 as his father had asserted to the commission.
Henry Yorke had been in Newry for several months, May till October 1868, working as a coachmaker for a Mr.Lawson there.