('Pue's Occurrences' of 24th May 1757 noted an even earlier Patrick Jones of Mary's Lane, who was marrying Widow Dowling. Mary's Lane runs into Henry Street where our ancestor Patrick Jones lived in the 1780's.)
Patrick Jones, the Elder (died 1811):
There were two Patrick Jones, painters, one the elder and one the junior, and I've tried to distinguish one from the other as best I can.
The Hibernian Journal of 22nd October 1781 records that, on the 'swearing day' of the Corporation of Cutlers, Painters, Stainers and Stationers, Mr. Patrick Jones of Henry Street, painter, was elected warden for the ensuing year. Earlier, in August 1781, Patrick Jones of Great Britain Street (modern-day Parnell Street), painter, was elected warden.
On Hall days, the Master, Wardens and Brethren of the Guild would meet to transact their business either at their hall in Capel Street or at St. Audeon's Arch.
The Guild of St. Luke was established in Dublin as far back as 1670 when it had been granted a royal charter by Charles II.
Patrick Jones, painter, was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin at Michelmas 1772. He was admitted by service, meaning apprenticeship to a guild.
Saunders News-Letter of 13th February 1782 records that, to relieve the stress of many industrious Freemen due to the accident at the Music Hall in Fishamble Street, who had broken lims, benefactions would be received by Mr. Patrick Jones, Painter, at the corner of Cole's Lane on Henry Street.
The Index to the Registry of Deeds shows a deed of conveyance for Patrick Jones, painter, in 1800 for a property on Henry Street. The deed in question (525-145-244098), dated March 6th 1800, notes an earlier deed of 26th February 1793 in which a Robert Barton of Bayview, Co. Dublin, demised, or leased, house number 46 on the North side of Henry Street, to Patrick Jones, along with a yard, coach house, stable, offices/outhouses etc. for 10 years at a rent of £60 per annum. On 29th September 1795 the lease was renewed. Deed 244098 also noted that, on 21st and 22nd July 1795, George Vesey of Spa, Lucan, demised a plot of ground at Crescent, Lucan, to Patrick Jones, where Patrick Jones subsequently built a dwellinghouse which he was now, in 1800, selling onto James Switzer of Dublin. I presume that this deed refers to the older Patrick Jones, but it's difficult to tell for certain.
In 1781 Patrick Jones, painter of Great Britain Street, was elected Warden of the Corporation of cutlers, paper-stainers and stationers. ('Dublin Evening Post', 25th August 1781.)
It seems that Patrick Jones Senior married twice. Betham's Extracts notes the marriage on 6th July 1771 of the painter Patrick Jones of the City of Dublin to Rebecca Turner of the parish of St. Mark's.
Patrick and this first wife, Rebecca Turner, lived at Britain Street, ie. Great Britain Street, modern name Parnell St, and, later, in Cole's Lane at the corner of Henry Street; all their children were baptised in St. Marys:
Timothy Jones, baptised 15th March 1774; the address was Britain Street.
(A Charles Jones of Britain Street was buried in St. Mary's on 13th January 1775.)
Robert Jones, baptised 4th August 1776, address Britain Street.
Sarah Jones, baptised 9th November 1778.
Patrick Jones Junior baptised 12th December 1780, who married Mary Anne Stockdale and Mary Wilton.
Thomas Jones baptised 16th December 1781.
Rebecca Jones baptised 19th November 1784, who married John Boswell, address Cole's Lane.
Ann Jones, baptised 10th May 1786.
Michael Jones, baptised 7th October 1787.
'The Dublin Evening Post' of 27th October 1787 recorded the death in Henry Street of the wife - Rebecca - of the house and floorcloth painter, Patrick Jones. Having given birth to Michael Jones three weeks earlier, I presume she died of complications following childbirth.
Patrick Jones Senior married his second wife, Phoebe Cook, on the 15th October 1788 in St.Mary's. The baptisms of some of their children are recorded:
John Jones, baptised at Henry St., St.Mary's, 13th Dec.1789.
William Jones, baptised at Cole's Lane, St.Mary's, 16th February 1791.
Elizabeth Jones, baptised at St.Mary's, 29th June 1793.
Charles Jones, baptised Henry St., St.Mary's, 21st January 1796. (From whom we descend.)
James Jones, baptised Henry St., St.Mary's, 26th November 1798.
Patrick Jones Senior moved his family business from Henry Street to 5 Bishop Street in 1803 and was eventually succeeded by his sons Patrick and Charles Jones at the same address. (Bishop Street runs parallel to Kevin Street near Stephens Green.)
Patrick Jones, Junior of Bishop St :
In 1801, Patrick Jones, painter, was admitted by birth to the Freemen of Dublin.
In 1807 he had been elected to the post of Warden of the ancient Guild of St. Luke, the Guild of Painters, Stainers, Stationers and Cutlers.
In the street directory for 1807, he was named as Patrick Jones Junior.
Patrick Jones married his first wife, Mary Anne Stockdale on November 30th 1811, the year of his father's death. Deed 647-2-441202 detailed the marriage settlement and named John and Roger Stockdale, printers of Abbey Street, as members of the bride's family but didn't elaborate on how they were related.A daughter, Rebecca Jones, may have been born in 1813 to Patrick and Mary Ann Jones, and baptised in St. Peters. If Rebecca was indeed a daughter of Patrick Jones Junior and Mary Ann Stockdale, then she didn't survive. The following deed mentions the birth of two definite daughters, Hanna Jones and Ellen Jones. Hanna didn't survive childhood.
I discovered a deed relating to Patrick Jones which shows up a second marriage, seven years later in 1818. Deed 732-286-499421, dated 29th August 1818, was drawn up on the occasion of Patrick's Jones marriage to Mary Wilton of Mullingar, Westmeath. The parties to this document were Patrick Jones of Bishop Street, Mary Wilton of Mullingar, a Henry Wilton of Mullingar, and a William Blackhall, woollen draper of Dublin.
The deed refers to the earlier marriage between Patrick Jones of Bishop Street, house and floor cloth painter, and Mary Anne Stockdale, which occurred on 30th November 1811 - this resulted in two daughters, Hanna Jones and Ellen Jones. The deed mentioned that two men, John and Roger Stockdale had taken action in 1818 against Patrick Jones to retrieve the marriage portion paid to him at the time of his 1811 marriage to Mary Anne Stockdale. John and Roger Stockdale were the sons of the Dublin printer, John Stockdale of 62 Abbey Street, who was the nationalist publisher of the United Irishmens' newspaper 'The Press'; the sons, Roger and John, were Percy Bysshe Shelley's publishers. (There was also a Thomas Stockdale, printer, who married Miss Condon of Box Bridge in October 1810.)
On the occasion of Patrick Jones' marriage to his second wife, Mary Wilton, he was to sign over his property on Bishop Street to William Blackhall and Henry Wilton, and Henry was to pay £300 to Patrick Jones. I didn't take detailed notes on the property deals here, being primarily interested in the genealogical angle, but the house on Bishop Street, formerly Great Boater Lane, was mentioned, as was land at Scurlockstown, Westmeath.
(Notes on the Wiltons of Mullingar:
'Saunders Newsletter' of 19th February 1817 noted the death on 15th February 1817 in Blessington Street, Dublin, of Elizabeth, wife of Andrew Dudgeon and daughter of Mr. Wilton of Mullingar.
A Henry Wilton of Mullingar had died in 1810 - his estate was still being wrangled over in the courts in July 1877.
A John Wilton died in Mullingar prior to 1787.
Both a Henry Wilton and a John Wilton were noted in Mullingar in the 1800s.
A later, unmarried Henry Wilton, of Montevideo Cottage, Mullingar, and of The Retreat, Finglas Road, Dublin, died on 25th October 1860 - his will was granted to his spinster sister, Ann Wilton of 68 Aungier Street, who died at 2 Peter Place on 23rd September 1866.)
'The Dublin Weekly Register' of 3rd April 1819 noted that Mr. Patrick Jones of Bishop Street had died in the prime of life.
On 23rd February 1832 in St.Peter's, Dublin, Ellen Maria Jones of Bishop Street, who was the only surviving child of the late Patrick Jones Junior and his first wife, Mary Anne Stockdale, married Robert Francis Murphy, the son of Francis Murphy, in St. Peter's. The witnesses were Charles Jones, her paternal uncle, and a John Nolan. Robert Francis Murphy (noted alternatively in places as Robert Forsythe Murphy) was a surgeon of Rathgar.
The marriage of Ellen Maria Jones, only surviving child of the late Patrick Jones (1780 - April 1819) to Robert Murphy, surgeon of Rathgar, was noted in the 'Westmeath Journal' of 1st March 1832, prompting me to wonder whether Robert Francis Murphy originated there.
In 1837, the Dublin street directories note R.F. Murphy, surgeon, at Elm Cottage, Roundtown, Rathfarnham. The 1864 obituaries of surgeon Robert Francis Murphy note him as an accouchier, who worked for 36 years as a doctor in Rathgar. He was remembered as a charitable individual who would pay for medicine and food for the poor rather than turn them away.
The UK medical register of 1858 note him as Robert Francis Murphy of 2 Pearmount, Rathgar, and state that he was a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in England since 1831.
In 1842, Robert F. Murphy, surgeon of 2 Pearmount, Rathgar, gave evidence to the Commissioner's Report of Childrens' Employment, whereby he stated that he was 35 years old, and that he had attended the employees of the Rathgar Print Works for the previous 9 years, ie, since 1833. The children, he stated, seemed to be in good health; they worked ten hours a day, and existed on a diet of bread, potatoes, milk and tea, with occasional meat or fish.
The children of Robert Francis Murphy, and Ellen Maria Jones, all baptised in St. Peter's, were:
- Eliza Ann Murphy, born in Harolds Cross in 1834.
- Marianne Murphy born in Roundtown (near Rathfarnham) in 1836.
- Ellen Maria, who must have died young, was born in Rathfarnham on 21st November 1836.
- Hannah Murphy, born in Rathgar, and baptised on 24th June 1838.
- Robert Francis (or Forsythe) Murphy born Rathgar on 11th October 1840.
- A son was born at Pearemount, Rathgar, to Surgeon Murphy on 17th June 1844.
- A daughter, Ellen Maria Murphy, was born on 31st October 1849 in Rathgar.
- Margaret Murphy was born on 19th April 1854.
Robert Francis Murphy, who had been born in 1806, died at his home,2 Pearemount, Rathgar, aged 58, on December 11th 1864 of heart disease. He left his wife and children, including five daughters and a dependent sister, unprovided for, having recently cancelled a life insurance policy. An appeal was subsequently set up by the Irish writer William Carleton on behalf of the Murphy family; contributors included Stephen Miles McSwiney and Robert D. Lyons, who were prominent Dublin doctors. William Carleton was a friend and neighbour of the late Robert Francis/Forsythe Murphy.
The census shows up some of the unmarried offspring of Robert Francis/Forsythe Murphy and Ellen Maria Jones - in 1901 son Robert Forsythe Murphy, aged 56, was living in DunLaoghaire at 18.1 Windsor Terrace; he was Church of Ireland with no occupation, and was living there with his older sister, 65-year-old Mary Anne Murphy who let out lodgings for a living.
Robert Murphy of 19 Windsor Avenue died oon 15th November 1904; the informant was his brother-in-law, Waterford-born William West Darby Freeman, who had married Eliza Ann Murphy, and who lived at 5 Windsor Terrace. William West Darby Freeman and Eliza Ann Murphy had John William West Darby freeman on 28th October 1873 and Sophia Darby Freeman on 4th December 1877; later a Baptist preacher, on 22nd July 1899 son John William West Darby Freeman married Minnie Barratt of Ballinasloe, the daughter of clerk Michael Barratt. John's sister, Sophia Darby Freeman, married the bride's brother, the widowed Richard Barrett of 10 Crawford Avenue, Drumcondra, on 4th March 1918. The witnesses to her wedding were Eliza Freeman and Frances E.Rankin.
Mary Anne Murphy, the daughter of surgeon Robert F. Murphy and of Ellen Maria Jones, died aged 86 at 19 Windsor Terrace on 8th July 1922; her married youngest sister, Margaret Irwin, was present at her death. Margaret had married stationmaster, John Irwin, in St. Mary's, Drogheda, on 12th September 1899. He was the son of a clerk, John Irwin, and was living on the Antrim Road in Lisburn at the time of the wedding, while his bride, Margaret Murphy, was of Mary Street in Drogheda.
The later 1911 census picks up another sister, Mary Ellen Murphy, aged 70, a lodging house keeper at 19 Windsor Terrace, along with her sister, Ellen Maria Murphy, housing proprietor.
Patrick Jones Junior, the father of Ellen Maria Jones, died in 1819 prior to her 1832 marriage to Robert F. Murphy.. Deed 1837-16-276 concerned the will of Patrick Jones, floor cloth manufacturer,deceased, whose executors were John and Rebecca Boswell and Charles Jones. The three executors were the guardians of the only surviving child of Patrick Jones, his daughter Ellen Maria Jones who married Robert Forsythe Murphy.
Charles Jones Senior (21st Jan 1796 -9th June 1860) brother of Patrick Jones Junior (1780 - April 1819) and son of Patrick Jones Senior:
Charles Jones Senior was baptised in St. Marys on 21st January 1796 by Patrick Jones Senior and Phoebe Cooke.
He was admitted to the Guild of St. Luke on 17th July 1820; he was admitted 'by birth', meaning that he was entitled to admission thanks to his father's previous membership.
'Saunders News-Letter' of 7th November 1814 held an advertisement placed by Mr. Byrne of 25 South Frederick Street and Mr. Jones of 5 Bishop Street for a 38-acre farm with new house to let at Pellestown, Co. Dublin beside the 10th lock of the Royal Canal, two miles from Dublin.
'Saunders News-Letter' of 20th March 1820 ran a similar ad in which Mr. C.Jones of 5 Bishop Street, along with James and John Boswell (who was married to Charles Jones' sister Rebecca) of 27 Bachelor's Walk. They were letting out three properties, a small warehouse in the Lotts near Sackville Street, a house at 26 Bachelor's Walk next door to the Boswells' business address, and also a house on the Rathgar Road near Roundtown, which might have been Pearemount, the house which Charles' niece, Ellen Maria Murphy, later lived in with her surgeon husband, Robert Francis/Forsythe Murphy of Rathgar.
The 'Dublin Evening Mail' of 9th June 1826 noted that the members of the Guild of St. Luke met to request that Charles Jones call a meeting as soon as possible to consider a fit and proper person to represent Dublin in Parliament. He subsequently convened a meeting in the Hall of St. Luke's Guild in Capel Street for 10th June 1826.
The 'Dublin Morning Register' of 5th May 1830 noted that Charles Jones was paid £16 18s. for 53 yards and 8.5 feet of floor-cloth laid in St. Peter's Church.
The 'Dublin Weekly Register' of 17th February 1838 recorded that, amongst 31 newly admitted members of the recently formed Mechanics' Institute were Charles and Patrick Jones, the Patrick in question here being Charles' eldest son, with whom he went into business.
The Dublin Almanac for 1841 records Charles Jones, painter, as a member of the committee of The Dublin Mechanics' Institution at The Royal Exchange. (Only 9 committee members had to be operative mechanics.)
In 1844 Charles Jones of Bishop Street was the treasurer of the Mechanics' Institution. (Later, in the 1870's, a Patrick Jones was the vice-president of the Mechanic's Institution, but he was Catholic and probably not a relation.)
In July 1844, Charles Jones of 5 Bishop Street exhibited 14 patterns of marble painting at the Royal Dublin Society's exhibition of Irish Manufacturers, Produce and Invention. His colleague, James Boswell, exhibited specimens of panelling, mosaic, tables, marble pedestals painted on wood, imitation silk damask, and 5 dozen room papers and screen.
Some interesting deeds of conveyance highlight the Jones family and help to clarify the genealogy:
1) Deed 1836-22-238, dated 13th December 1836, which was written in near-indecipherable script, was between Robert Forsythe Murphy of Roundtown, Co. Dublin, M.D., and Ellen Maria Murphy, née Jones, his wife, of the first part; John Boswell of Liverpool and Rebecca Boswell, otherwise JONES, his wife, and Charles Jones of Bishop Street, of the second part; Richard Pearce O'Reilly of Sackville Street of the third part.
NB: Rebecca Boswell, née Jones, was the daughter of Patrick Jones Senior and of his first wife Rebecca, and sister of the brothers, Charles and Patrick Jones Junior. She married John Boswell, paper manufacturer, painter and stainer, the son of Robert Boswell (1753 - 1818) a paper manufacturer and stainer who lived in Dublin, and who married John's mother, Elizabeth Hagerty of Mullingar in August 1775. Elizabeth Hagerty had possibly been born in Mullingar in 1756. Robert Boswell was noted at a variety of Dublin addresses - 79 Capel Street, 9 Bachelor's Walk in 1801, The Grange near Baldoyle, and Fairview.
There are many references in the contemporary newspapers of a John and William Boswell in Athlone - in 1824, John Boswell was involved with the construction of Athlone Church, while in 1826 John and William Boswell of Athlone were amongst a group offering a reward to find the killers of a John Barne of Roscommon.)
The children of Robert Boswell and Elizabeth Hagerty were:
1) James Boswell, born 1778, who married Martha Carey of Athlone, and who operated in Dublin as a paper manufactuer. In April 1863, Martha Lamb, widow of the late James Boswell of Athlone, died at 1 Belville, Rathgar Rd.
2) John, who was baptised on 2nd July 1780 in St. Mary's, and who married Rebecca Jones, the daughter of Patrick and Rebecca Jones. (A possible daughter was the Eleanor Boswell, daughter of John Boswell formerly of Athlone, who died in Lower Rutland Street, Dublin, on 23rd Dece,ber 1861.)
3) Robert Boswell, who was baptised in St. Mary's on 10th December 1788, and who went to live in England.
4) William Boswell, who was baptised in St. Mary's on 20th December 1793.
5) Ann Boswell, who was baptised in St. Mary's on 8th December 1795.
6) Edward Boswell, who was baptised in St. Mary's on 30th November 1800.
By 1815, John Boswell, paper stainer and floor-cloth manufacturer, was noted at 42 Grafton Street, while his brother James Boswell was at 27 Bachelor's Walk. Five years later, there was 'J + J Boswell - paper stainers and floorcloth manufactuers and painters' at two addresses, 119 Grafton Street and 27 Bachelor's Walk. By 1845, only James was mentioned, at 28 Bachelor's Walk, with a residence at 6 Tivoli Terrace, Kingstown.
The children of John Boswell and Rebecca Jones were also baptised in St. Mary's:
1) Robert Boswell, baptised 23rd September 1809.
2) Rebecca Boswell, baptised 13th February 1813.
3) Ann Boswell, baptised 26th July 1814.
4) John Boswell, baptised 1st June 1817.
5) William Edward Boswell, baptised 8th April 1816.
2) Deeds 1837-16-276 and 1837-16-277, dated 1st September 1837, between John Boswell, Liverpool, painter and paper stainer, and Rebecca Boswell, his wife, and Charles Jones of Dublin, floor cloth manufacturer, these all being executors of the will of Patrick Jones, floorcloth manufacturer, deceased, and the testamentary guardians of Ellen Maria Jones, only child of the said Patrick Jones, then surviving, of the first part; Robert Forsythe Murphy of Roundtown, Surgeon, and Ellen Maria, his wife, of the second part; and Charles Jones and Benjamin Stephens of d'Olier Street, Esq....in this one, John and Rebecca Boswell assigned to Charles Jones and Benjamin Stephens land on the south side of Henry Street for the benefit of Robert Forsythe Murphy and his wife Ellen Maria.
3) Deed 1848-4-251, dated 25th February 1848, between Robert Forsythe Murphy of Pearemount, Rathgar, and Ellen Maria, his wife, only surviving child of Patrick Jones the Younger, deceased, of the first part; and Benjamin Stephens, Gloucester Street, barrister, and Charles Jones of Bishop Street, both the trustees, since 1837, of the premises in question, ie, 45 Henry Street, of the 2nd part; and Richard Pearce O'Reilly, Sackville Street, Esq., of the third part; in which Richard Pearce O'Reilly paid £600 to the Murphys and 5 shillings to Charles Jones and Benjamin Stephens for the house on Henry Street which was currently, in 1848, the premises of the bank of Messrs. Ball, Plunkett and Doyne. This deed was signed by Robert F. Murphy and Ellen Maria Duggan.
In July 1843, Mr. Williams of Stafford Street, Charles Jones of Stephen's Green, and Mr. Bosswell of Bachelors Walk, were all contracted 'to put the Castle in a state of decoration and repair suitable for the reception of her Majesty' - this being a reference to the visit of Queen Victoria, the Castle in question being Dublin Castle, the seat of British administration in Ireland.
Charles Jones Senior, the son of Patrick Jones Senior and Phoebe Cooke, married Margaret Norris (who died on 5th February 1860) in 1820. Margaret Norris may be related to the John Norris of 30 Henry Street who was also a paper stainer and painter - the Jones family had earlier lived at 45 Henry Street. Mr. Norris of Henry Street was noted there in February 1843. In September 1850, his premises at 30 Henry Street was completely destroyed by fire - much valuable stock was lost, but, happily, his family were resident at the time in Clontarf. He himself managed to escape.
(A John Norris of 18 Upper Ormond Quay, paperstainer, was admitted to the Dublin Freemen on 13th November 1841, by service to Edward Rounds.)
'Saunders News-Letter' of 13th February 1830 noted that Charles Jones of Bishop Street was one of the subscribers who made a donation to the St. Peter's Church Dispensary and Soup Kitchen.
'Saunders News-Letter' of 8th February 1853 named Charles Jones of 1, Stephen's Green North as a churchwarden of St. Anne's Church.
The births of several of the children of Charles Jones Senior and Margaret Norris, who married in 1820, were recorded at 5 Bishop Street on the Irish Genealogy website, although not all of them are recorded there.
Patrick Jones - Charles Jones Senior joined the Mechanics' Institute in 1838, along with Patrick Jones, his eldest son whose birth records I've been unable to uncover. Patrick Jones of Bishop Street was admitted to the Freemen on 11th August 1842 by birth, being the grandson of Patrick Jones who had been admitted in Michaelmas 1772. Charles Jones Senior and his son, Patrick Jones, were in business together at 1, Stephen's Green North. Following the death of his father, Patrick Jones continued in business with his younger brother, Charles Jones Junior.
The 'Catholic Telegraph' of 7th December 1861 recorded the death of Patrick Jones, the eldest son of the late Charles Jones, at 1, Stephen's Green North.
Henry Edward Jones, born at 5 Bishop Street on 11th January 1829.
Phoebe Eliza Jones, 14th Feb, 1831. In 1856 Phoebe Eliza Jones married William Stoker of Sallymount Avenue, Ranelagh, the son of the late William Stoker Senior. The witnesses to the wedding in St. Anne's were Charles Jones (either the bride's father or her brother) and A. Stoker. The couple moved to Canada where their daughter, Fanny Stoker, was born on 20th November 1858. A second daughter, Phoebe Stoker, was born to the couple in Canada in either 1860 or 1865. A son, William Stoker, was born in Pennsylvania on 28th February 1863.
The family moved to Philadelphia in 1875. William Stoker died at some stage prior to the 1880 US Census: his wife, the widowed Phoebe, was noted as 'keeping house' and was living with her two daughters.
Phoebe E.Stoker died on 12th February 1899 at 524 Cross Street.
The two daughters appeared on the 1900 Census, this time named as Phebe J. Stoker and Fannie M. Stoker. Their date of emigration to the US, presumably from Canada, was given as 1875. Later, Fannie Stoker's death was noted - she had been a sales lady, and died at 2004 South 16th Street in the 26th Ward, Philadelphia, on 7th October 1909 and was buried in Fernwood Cemetery. Her brother, William Stoker, died in hospital in Franklin County, Montalto, on 21st December 1919; a hat trimmer, his former residence was noted on his death certificate as 2022 South 16th, Philadelphia.
The older William Stoker's sister, Georgina Frances Stoker, of Blessington St., daughter of the late William Stoker, married John Boswell of Tourville, Rathmines, on 3rd April 1845. The wedding was witnessed by Charles Jones and William Stoker. Their son, Charles John Boswell, was born on 12th October 1853 at 8 Sallymount Avenue, Ranelagh. In March 1857, The Limerick Chronicle announced, in its obituary section, the death of 6-yr-old George Stoker Boswell, the son of John Boswell of Sallymount Avenue. There were also two daughters born to John Boswell, agent, and Georgiana Frances Stoker - Frances Rebecca Boswell was born on 1st July 1855 at Sallymount Avenue, and Jane Stoker Holland Boswell was born to the same couple at 1 Leinster Road West on 1st July 1863.
John Boswell, who married Georgina Frances Stoker, in 1845, may be related to the John Boswell, painter, who had previously been married to a Rebecca Jones.
John and Georgina Boswell emigrated to Philadelphia with their children - the widowed Georgina Boswell, aged 45, shows up on the 1870 census, with son William Boswell, an iron moulder, Charles Boswell aged 17, a stationery clerk, Frances Boswell aged 15 (who would die on 30th August 1903 in Philadelphia, and who was buried in Fernwood Cemetery) and 10-yr-old Anna Boswell. Immediately next door to them was Phoebe Stoker, née Jones, who had been married to Georgina's late brother, William Stoker; she was living with her two daughters, Frances and Phoebe.
Annie M. Boswell, the daughter of John Boswell and Georgina Stoker, married real estate clerk George W. Betts on 15th August 1888, but died; he married Eliza J. Fox, née Moulder, afterwards, and was living in 1910 in Philadelphia with his daughter by Annie M.Boswell, 18-yr-old Frances M. Betts, and with a son Raymond Betts, aged 17. A stepdaughter was Mary K. Fox, and his mother-in-law was Mary J. Moulder. Living with the Betts family in 1910 was the boarder, Phebie Stoker, the daughter of William Stoker and Phoebe Jones of Dublin.
The son of John Boswell and Georgina Stoker was stationer Charles J. Boswell who married Sallie or Sarah - she had been born on 13th August 1858 in Salem; when she later applied for a passport, she stated that her late husband, Charles Boswell, had come to the US aged only 5 years old and died there in 1915. Charles J. Boswell and Sarah/Sallie had Wilbur Brinton Boswell on 1st September 1891 in Philadelphia, and Charles Tindall Boswell on 18th December 1888. Both sons were dealers of hides and skins. When Wilbur was drafted during the First World War, he stated that he was a employee of the Keystone Leather Co. in Camden, and was claiming exemption on the grounds of supporting his wife and mother. Wilbur married twice, first to a woman by the name of May, then to an Edyth K. In 1930 he was living in Camden, New Jersey; in 1940 he had moved to Massachessetts.
Wilbur's brother, Charles Tindall Boswell of Merchantville, New Jersey, applied for a US passport in 1917 - he needed it to travel back and forth to Mexico buying skins, and would soon be travelling to India on business.
But to return to Ireland....
The 'Dublin Monitor' of 13th March 1841 noted that John Thomas Holland, a magistrate of Forth, Carrickmacross, son of John Holland, had married on 10th March in St. Peter's, Dublin, Jane Stoker of Blessington Street, the eldest daughter of the late William Stoker of Dublin. Jane's sister, Georgina Frances Boswell, would later name a child as Jane Stoker Holland Boswell in 1863.
Jane Holland, nee Stoker, died young aged 28 on 21st April 1845 (from online Mount Jerome archives). The 'Belfast Morning News' of 18th October 1881 noted the death of John Thomas Holland of Shirley House, Carrickmacross, aged 74 on 14th October 1881. Before his move to Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, John Thomas Holland had links to Drogheda, Co. Louth, where he had been noted by the papers in 1827 as selling whiskey as prepared by his father before him.
Following the death of his first wife, Jane Stoker, aged 28, on 21st April 1845, only four years after their wedding, John Thomas Holland married again, his second wife being Eliza Crawley, the eldest daughter of John Crawley of Raphoe. This marriage took place in St. Thomas's, Dublin, in 1850, but Eliza also died young on 27th July 1855, only a week after giving birth to their son on 16th July 1855.
The youngest son of John Thomas Holland and, presumably, second wife Eliza Crawley, was named as Richard Stoker Holland, a solicitor who attended Trinity, Dublin, and who was sworn in to the bar in December 1883. There was also a daughter, Esther Holland, born 1848, who was living with her solicitor brother in Omagh, Co. Tyrone in 1901. Later in 1911, Esther Holland, daughter of John Thomas Holland, was visiting her two sisters in Bundoran, Co. Donegal - Frances Elizabeth born circa 1843 (and therefore the daughter of first wife Jane Stoker) and Eliza Holland born circa 1851.
Richard Holland Stoker married Emma Jane Chidley, daughter of Edward James Chidley, in Dublin on 2nd October 1886, and had a son, the solicitor Norman Lee Holland.
Despite the fact that Jane Holland, née Stoker, died young in 1845, the Stoker family maintained strong links with John Thomas Holland of Carrickmacross - he later named a son as Richard Stoker Holland, while his sister-in-law, Georgina Frances Boswell, née Stoker, named a daughter as Jane Stoker Holland Boswell in 1863; his mother-in-law, Frances Georgina Stoker, died at his residence in 1851, six years after the death of her daughter Jane Holland.
The Stoker family are interesting. As noted above, Phoebe Eliza Jones, daughter of Charles Jones Sr. and Margaret Norris, married William Stoker, the son of the late William Stoker Sr. William Stoker Senior (circa 1788 - November 1833) married Frances Georgina McAllister in St. Andrew's Church, Suffolk St, Dublin, on 4th December 1813.
This older William Stoker was one of the children of William Coates Stoker (c. 1755 - 1827), a staymaker and member of the Dublin Guild of Taylors, as was Abraham Stoker (1799 - 1876), the father of Dracula writer Bram Stoker - Abraham Stoker senior was one of the witnesses to the 1858 wedding of Phoebe Eliza Jones and William Stokes Junior, being the paternal uncle of the groom. The groom's father, William Stoker, had died young in 1833, having earlier been admitted to the Freemen of Dublin by birth, being the son of William Coates Stoker. William Stoker (1788 - 1833) had applied in 1824 to join the Guild of Tailors but had been excluded since he didn't actually practise the trade but worked instead as an accountant, at one stage for the GPO. He died young in 1833 - when his daughter, Jane Stoker, married John Thomas Holland of Carrickmacross in 1841, it was noted by the media of the day that her father was the late William Stoker. William's widow, Frances Georgina Stoker, née McAllister, died at Bellevue, Carrickmacross, on 16th November 1851, this being the home of her son-in-law John Thomas Holland.
When Abraham Stoker (1799 - 1876) and his wife, Charlotte Matilda Blake Thornley (1818 -1901) baptised their son, William Thornley Stoker, in Clontarf on 25th March 1847, one of the sponsors to the christening was John Thomas Holland. Georgina Boswell, née Stoker, stood as sponsor at the baptism of Matilda Stoker, daughter of Abraham Stoker and Charlotte Matilda Blake Thornley, in Clontarf on 17th July 1845. A William Cotes Stoker, named for his late grandfather, stood sponsor at the Clontarf baptism of yet another of Abraham and Charlotte's daughters, Margaret Dalrymple Stoker, in Clontarf on 22nd April 1853. This last sponsor might be the William Stoker who married Phoebe Eliza Jones in 1856.
The mother of William (Cotes?) Stoker, Jane Holland and Georgina Frances Boswell was Frances Georgina Stoker, née McAllister, widow of the late William Stoker (1788 - 1833) - she died at Bellevue, Carrickmacross, on 16th November 1851 (from the 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 22nd November), at the residence of her son-in-law John Thomas Holland, JP of Carrickmacross.
George Willam Jones, 1833.
Frederick James Jones, 12th Feb. 1835; he died and was buried, aged 6, in St. Paul's, Dublin, on 27th February 1841.
Ellen Maria Jones, born at Bishop St on 9th November 1837; Ellen Maria died, aged 19, at 1, Stephens Green, on 21st September 1857. She had been named after her father's niece who had married Robert Francis Murphy.
Charles James Jones Junior who later married our great-great grandmother, Isabella Pennefather in 1865, was the son of Charles Jones Senior and Margaret Norris, but I can find no reference to his birth. On 15th August 1846, Charles Jones Junior of Stephens Green North was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin by birth, being the son of Charles Jones who had been admitted in 1820. If Charles Jones Junior was admitted in 1846, he was probably about 18 years old, which would give an approximate year of birth of 1828.
In 1847, the Jones moved their business to 1, Stephens Green North, and on the 1850 Street Directory, you can see Charles Jones, painter to the Board of Works at 1, Stephen's Green. It was at this address that daughter the Charles and Margaret Jones, Phoebe Eliza Jones, married William Stoker in 1856.
The 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 29th July 1854 noted the Jones' Stephen's Green business as 'Charles Jones & Sons', which means that Charles Jones Senior had Charles Jones Junior, now aged in his 20s, working alongside him as well as his eldest son Patrick Jones. There might have been other sons involved but I've only found evidence of sons Charles and Patrick so far.
Charles Jones Senior and his wife, Margaret, née Norris, died within months of each other. The 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 3rd March 1860 announed that Margaret, wife of Charles Jones of 1 Stephen's Green, had died aged 50 on 5th February 1860. They must have been liberal with her age, since, if she had been born in 1810, then she would have been 10 years old when she married Charles Jones Senior in 1820.
Charles Jones Senior, of 1 Stephen's Green North, died at Ashville, Carysfort Avenue, on 29th June 1860. His will was granted to one of his creditors, Francis Lyster of Ballymeelish, near Borris-in-Ossory, Laois, the wife of John Lyster.
He was succeeded in his business by his son, Charles Jones Junior, from whom we directly descend.
(Note: The above address of Ashville, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, is interesting. This was later - in 1866 - the residence of Henry Jones, but I've no idea if this individual was a member of the same Jones family or not. However, if Charles Jones Senior wasn't related to this Henry Jones, then why did Charles die at Henry Jones' residence, or was this a mere coincidence? Henry Jones was the son of a skinner, John Jones of 26 New Row, Dublin, and I wonder was this John Jones the brother of Charles Jones, who had been born in 1789 to Patrick Jones Senior and Phoebe Cooke?
Henry Jones, a writing clerk, son of the skinner John Jones, married Mary Anne Fitzpatrick, a tassel-maker of 10 Newmarket and daughter of a weaver, John Fitzpatrick, and of Sarah Fitzpatrick, on 1st February 1847. The daughter of Henry Jones and Mary Anne Fitzpatrick, Mary Anne Jones, was born on 30th May 1866 at Asheville, Carysfort Avenue. A son was named as Charles Jones, and was born at 19 New Row South on 19th June 1860.
This Henry Jones applied in March 1864 to join the General Register Office as a clerk in the British Civil Service, which required proof of age - a Robert Jones, Quarter-Master with the East Kent Militia declared that he was the half-brother of Henry Jones who had been born 26 New Row South in about March 1828. As further proof of his age, Henry himself swore that he had been told by his late father, John Jones, that he had been born on 27th March 1828. Also, a John Jones of Templeraney House, Wicklow, gave evidence that he had known Henry Jones all his life, Henry's parents having stayed with him in Templeraney after their marriage - Henry was not the first child of this marriage. John Jones of Templeraney died on 30th June 1866 and his will was contested by his sister, Ann Tomkin or Tomkins, who went head to head with her late brother's second wife. His first wife, Mary Jones, had died on 20th January 1861. John Jones, the deceased, had married his English wife, Margaret Jane Jones, a year before his death when he was aged 60 and having only met her six weeks before. Also mentioned in the law suit to contest the will were Edward Alford, John Stringer, Jane Atkin, and Ralph Jones. Sister Ann Tompkin won the case. Later, houses in Anglesea Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, the property of her late brother, John Jones of Templeraney, was sold off.)
Charles Jones Junior:
The son of Charles Jones Senior and Margaret Norris, was Charles Jones Junior who must have been born circa 1828 at 5 Bishop Street.
On 15th August 1846, Charles Jones Junior of Stephens Green North was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin by birth, being the son of Charles Jones who had been admitted in 1820.
Charles Jones Junior married twice, his first wife being Emily Sharpe, whose address was given as 'Four Courts Inns Quay', on August 7th 1855. Her father was William Creighton Sharpe Esq., and the witnesses were Thomas Palmer and Patrick Jones. Patrick Jones seems to be the brother of the groom - as noted above, Patrick Jones of Bishop Street had been admitted to the Dublin Freemen in 1842 as the grandson of Patrick Jones.
The marriage was settled with a deed, 1855 - 22 - 64, which was drawn up on 6th August 1855, the day before the wedding.
The parties to this deed were Charles Jones Junior of Stephens Green North, painter and decorator, Emily Sharpe of Inns Quay, and Thomas Palmer of Leinster Road. (He lived at 22 Leinster Road Rathmines.) This deed mentions properties released to Thomas Palmer, ie: dwellinghouses in Bow Street and Carters Lane, which are near the Jameson Distillery in the Liberties, and also a house in Martins Row, Chapelizod, then in the possession of a Robert Law. Emily Sharpe, during her life, was to receive rents from these properties for her own sole use independent of her intended husband. Charles Jones had to pay £500 as his part of the marriage settlement.
This agreement was witnessed by the Rathgar surgeon, Robert Francis Murphy, who was married to Charles' cousin, Ellen Maria, who was the daughter of Charles' uncle, the late Patrick Jones Junior.
Emily Sharpe was the daughter of William Creighton Sharpe - or Creighton William Sharpe - and Amelia Stuart Law - the archives of the 'Keeper of the Public Records' show up the marriage of William Sharpe and Amelia Stewart/Stuart Law in 1816. Later the 'Drogheda Journal' of 18th April 1835 noted a case in chancery which implicated Amelia Sharpe and named her as the executrix of William Law, while Robert Law was his heir-at-law. Land at Marshalsrath near Dunleer was being sold, the plaintiffs here being a Philip Belton and his wife. Earlier, the 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 20th December 1834 announced that anyone with a claim on the estate of the late William Law of Chapelizod were to come before the court; once again Amelia Sharpe was named as the deceased's executrix and Robert Law was named as his heir.
William Law was noted as being of Phoenix Park, near Chapelizod, in the 1780s and 1790s; a number of ads in the papers of the day named him as the Under Bailiff of the Phoenix Park. Also, in 1808, both Robert Law and a Captain John Reddy were noted as residents of the Phoenix Park. Captain John Reddy's name is significant here, since William Creighton Sharpe and Amelia Law had a son, John Reddy Sharpe, in Chapelizod in 1817 (from Irish Genealogy.ie) but this child seems not to have survived (or perhaps he emigrated?).
William Law, Deputy Ranger of the Phoenix Park, made his will on 24th September 1801 - his widow was named as Elizabeth.
Emily Sharpe's father, William Creighton Sharpe, had died at some stage before Emily's 1855 wedding to Charles Jones Junior, since her mother, Amelia Sharpe, died in Dublin on 8th October 1853, and was noted as the wife of the late Wm. Creighton Sharpe of Dublin. He was known as either William Creighton Sharpe or Creighton William Sharpe. I know little about him - he leaves a ghostly trace of himself here and there, most notably in the Registered Papers of the Chief Secretary, viewable online courtesy of the National Archives website, which noted a letter sent by Creighton W. Sharpe, late secretary of the Board of Charitable Donations and Bequests, 9 South Frederick Street, to the Chief Secretary at Dublin Castle, whereby Sharpe regrets his inability to attend an interview due to family misfortunes, but promises to make himself available upon his return to Dublin. A second letter regrets his loss of income caused by his resignation as clerk in the Excise Office, a job he had held in conjunction with his post at the Board of Charitable Donations. Yet another letter was sent by Mr. Hardman of the Excise Office to Mr. Sharpe at 54 Aungier Street. This correspondence was sent between 1820 and 1822.
The 'Londonderry Standard' of 29th January 1847 noted that, on the 14th February 1847 in the Presbyterian Church of Killucan, Mr. Robert Leal of Clonfad had married Jessie Sharpe, the second daughter of the late Creighton William Sharpe. Robert Leal was a farmer of Lakeview, Ballymore, Westmeath, when he died, aged 73, on 8th July 1883 leaving his widow Jessie. His death announcement was published in the 'Dublin Daily Express' of 11th july 1883, and asked the American papers to 'please copy' which implies that some of his relations had emigrated there. Robert Leal, according to his daughter's later information on the US census, had been born in Scotland; his marriage record notes him as the son of a John Leal. The census records note the Leal family as Presbyterian.
I have identified two children of Jessie Sharpe and Robert Leal of Ballymore, Westmeath, as Anne Leal and John Leal. Anne Leal, born circa 1859, emigrated to America in the 1880s, where she married another Irish emigrant, William Alexander, in Manhattan on 31st August 1904. This from the LDS website. She died aged 87 on 24th August 1947 at her home in Brooklyn - 723 51st Street - where she had lived, mostly as a widow, since at least 1910. The census noted the couple there in 1910, William Alexander being a salesman aged 58, while Annie was 51. She was widowed by 1930 and had been joined by her Irish nephew, Robert (William) Leal, who had emigrated in about 1926 and who worked as the night watchman in a department store. He was the son of Anne's brother, Robert Leal, a farmer of Ballymore, Co. Westmeath, who had been born in 1848 and who had married Longford-born Ellen/Ellie Ferrall in 1888. They had two sons, Robert William Leal and George Sydney Leal.
Another possible, but unproved, relation of Jessie Sharpe and Robert Leal was the Presbyterian Anne Leal who married David Leenam/Lunam/Lunane (various spellings) in 1876 in Longford. In 1901 she was widowed and working as a shopkeeper in Kilcommock, Longford. A Presbyterian, in common with the other Ballymore Leals, she had been born in Westmeath in about 1857; 10 years later she was living in Newry with a daughter, Lizzie Leal.
Earlier on 11th January 1847, Emily Sharpe's sister, Susan Sharpe, (noted in the papers as the eldest daughter of the late Creighton William Sharpe) married Charles John Bridgford, the gentleman son of Thomas Bridgford, a seedsman of Spafield, County Dublin. The witnesses were Charles Jones and Thomas Palmer, the same man who would later witness Charles Junior's wedding to Emily Sharpe. Charles John Bridgford, who married Susan Sharpe in 1847, had been born to Thomas Bridgford and Sarah Trussell in September 1816 in Manchester.
Thomas Bridgford had moved his family to Dublin where he operated a garden nursery at Spafield, Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin, along with a separate premises at 52 Lower Sackville Street. He specialised in bulbs. Another of his sons was the portrait painter, Thomas Bridgford R.H.A., 1812 - 1878. A daughter, Hannah, married the Scottish Curator of the Botanical Gardens in Glasnevin, David Moore, who had moved to Dublin in about 1828. David Moore was a respected botanist who was the first, in August 1845, to note potato blight and correctly predict its dreadful consequences. David Moore was succeeded by his son, Frederick Moore, as curator of the Botanical Gardens in Dublin. A second daughter of Thomas and Sarah Bridgford of Spafield was Sarah Bridgford, who married the magistrate, Sir Andrew Newton-Brady, and who died young in December 1840.
Charles John Bridgeford and Susan Sharpe had children - Charles Arthur Bridgeford born in Chapelizod in 1851, who married in Kilkenny in 1883, Jessie Parr; Amelia Stuart Bridgford, also born in Chapelizod in 1851, although the 'Cork Examiner' of 25th August 1852 noted the birth of a daughter in Chapelizod on 20th August 1852, Creighton William Bridgeford born 1849 in Chapelizod, and Thomas Ogden Bridgford.
In December 1873, Charles John Bridgeford, gentleman farmer of Lower Tinakilly, Co. Wicklow, was declared bankrupt; 30 acres, plus his modern furniture, had to be sold to pay off his debts.
Charles John Bridgford, who had married Susan Sharpe, died in South Dublin in 1874.
In 1891 the widowed Susan Bridgford, née Sharpe, was living in Perdiswell Cottage, South Claines, Worcestershire, with her married daughter, Hannah, and Hannah's husband, the Irish-born Albert Mansfield, who worked as an accountant in a sauce factory. (Worcestershire Sauce??) They had four children - Charles James Mansfield, 18, Martha Gertrude Mansfield, 14, Arthur Hill Mansfield, 12, and Vizian Howell Mansfield, 3. The Belfast Newsletter of 4th August 1871 noted that Albert, fifth son of the late James Enery Mansfield of Belfast, married Hannah, the eldest daughter of Charles John Bridgford of Plumstead, in St. Peter's, Dublin.
The 2nd daughter of the late Charles John Bridgford, HMCS, Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, Euphemia Gertrude (Effie) of Mount John, Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow, married Vincent Clements of Ballymoat, Glenealy, Co.. Wicklow, in St. Mary's, Donnybrook, Co.Dublin, on 14th February 1884. ('Dublin Daily Express', 18th February 1884.) She must have been widowed and later remarried, since she emigrated to Launeston, Tasmania, with her two brothers, Creighton William Bridgford and Thomas Ogden Bridgford, who established a nursery there, and who were buried together in Carra Villa Memorial Park Cemetery - Creighton Bridgford died aged 64 on 11th February 1914, Thomas Ogden Bridgford died aged 57 in 1917 and their sister E.G. Saunders died in 1926.
Charles Jones Junior was in business with his older brother, Patrick Jones.
Charles Jones Junior underwent a number of traumatic years in the early 1860s. Following the death of his parents in 1860, he lost not only his older brother, but then his first wife and young daughter.
A daughter, Amelia Margaret Jones, named after her mother and grandmother, died aged 5 years and 7 months, on Sunday 8th March 1863 at 1 Stephen's Green North. Her mother, Emily Jones, née Sharpe, died shortly afterwards, presumably from the complications of childbirth, at 1 Stephen's Green North on 16th April 1863.
The 'Catholic Telegraph' of 7th December 1861 recorded the death of Patrick Jones, the eldest son of the late Charles Jones.
Earlier, the 'Saunders News-Letter' of 7th January 1861 recorded the first signs that the Jones' decorating business at 1, Stephen's Green might be undergoing difficulties which eventually ended in bankruptcy. P. and C. Jones of 1, Stephen's Green were disposing of their extensive assortment of room papers at a very great reduction for cash, in order to make room for their new Spring patterns. Painting and decorating was executed in all their branches.
The 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 21st January 1862 recorded the sale at 13 Upper Sackville Street of the Jones' stock - first class French, English and Irish wallpapers in Satin, Flock and Gold - 'in order to close the partnership Accounts of the late eminent firm of Messrs.Patrick and Charles Jones of 1, Stephen's Green North'
The 'Dublin Evening Mail' of 12th August 1863 noted that Charles Jones of Stephen's Green North, house painter and paper-stainer, was to surrender (his assets) on Tuesday 25th August and Thursday 17th September. A later entry recorded that the contents of the house were on view from 28th August 1863 till 2nd September 1863.
Charles Jones Junior and his first wife Emily Sharpe had only the one surviving child, a son, Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones.
Charles Jones Junior and Isabella Anna Pennefather:On the 1st of June 1865, Charles Jones Junior married his second wife, Isabella Anna Pennefather, daughter of John Lysaght Pennefather, a direct descendant of the Pennefathers of Cashel, Tipperary, and of Emily Courtenay Pennefather.
The marriage took place in St. Thomas Church of Cathal Brugha Street. Charles Jones Junior was living at 2 Lower Pembroke Street off Baggot Street, where he had moved following his 1863 bankruptcy, and Isabella Pennefather was living at home with her family at 31 Seville Place close to Connolly Station.
Isabella was only 17 years old at the time of the marriage and was described as a fiery redhead. It was maintained in the family that her father, John Lysaght Pennefather, had chosen her husband for her. The witnesses were her aunt, Maria Pennefather Bonis (her father's sister), and John Lysaght Pennefather who was either her brother or her father. (Same name.)
Brian Latham, the grandson of Charles Jones Junior's son, Charles Wycliffe Creighton Jones, tells me that his grandfather, Charles Wycliffe Creighton Jones, was only 9 or 10 years old when his mother died in childbirth, and that he and his new stepmother, who was only a few years older than him after all, didn't get on at all well to begin with; in later life, however, Charles was a great support to his stepmother, especially following the death of his father in 1893. Charles Wycliffe Creighton Jones died in Dublin in the first quarter of 1936 - the registration of death gives an estimated birth year of 1860, which would have made him 5 years old when his father married Isabella Anna Jones - the birth year may well be incorrect.
Following his bankruptcy in the early 1860s, Charles Jones Junior operated as a painter/decorator at 2 Lower Pembroke Street and was noted at this address in 1866. The family, however, lived at Foster Terrace, Royal Canal.
In 1874, Charles joined the decorating firm of Polands on Great Britain Street, now Parnell Street, which later operated at 43 Upper Sackville Street, now O'Connell Street.
He later set up his own business at 161 Great Britain Street/Parnell Street, once more trading under his own name. It was at this address, where Polands' had previously had their business premises, that he was succeeded by his own sons. Apparently this address was the company office - their showrooms were always at 114, Stephens Green.
In Thoms 1880 Almanac, Charles Jones, house painter and decorator, gave his address as 161 Great Britain Street. Following Charles Jones Junior's death in 1893, his wife, the formidable Isabella Pennefather Jones took over and developed the business to such an extent that a move to larger premises became necessary. Excellent premises with large showrooms, formerly occupied by Messrs. Dobson and Curtis, were taken at 114 Stephens Green and here the firm of Charles Jones & Sons continued to operate for many years.
A deed (1890-37-265 of 5th August 1890) noted that Charles Jones Junior of 161 Great Britain Street, gentleman, was a member of the Co-operative Benefit Building Society, with an office at 37 College Green. The same year, 1890, he granted a mortgage to Michael F. Judd who was buying a property on the North Strand from Charles Jones' wife's younger brother, John Pennefather of 3 Aston's Quay, also a decorator/building contractor.
(A manuscript held in the National Library of Ireland, as part of the Dopping-Hepenstal estate papers, record work done by Charles Jones & Sons, 114 Stephens Green, in Prussia St, Harcourt St, and Sandymount 1915-1916. )
Charles and Isabella Jones spent the early years of their marriage living at 1 Foster Terrace, Royal Canal, which is around the corner from Wellington Street where Isabella had been born in 1848. It was at this address that several of their children were born:
Frederick Lysaght Jones, 19th Sept 1866. (Although christened 'Frederick', he was later known as William Lysaght Jones. William emigrated to the US in 1892 where, on 17th April 1897, he married Emmie Celeste Parcells in Manhattan. Emmie Celeste had been born to Elisha W. Parcells and Fannie Holland on 5th July 1873 in Manhattan. On the 1880 US Census, it was noted that Elisha W. Parcells had been born in 1835 in New Jersey - he was a harness salesman, and had two children - Emma and Harry who had been born in 1870. Elisha Parcells appeared earlier, aged 29, on the 1860 Census in Essex, New Jersey, and again on the 1850 Census for the West Ward, Essex, New Jersey. This return gave the details for his parents and siblings - his parents were Joseph Parcels, born 1805, and Ann Parcels, born 1804. His siblings were Abigail, born 1832, James born 1836, Josephine born 1838, Mary born 1840 and Frances born 1845.
William Lysaght Jones and his wife, Emmie, seem to have had only the one daughter, Celeste Aida Jones, born to the couple in about 1903 or 1904. In 1910, the family were resident in Queens. In 1920 they had moved to Morris, New Jersey; in 1930 they were in Mountain Lakes, Morris, New Jersey. Celeste, who was known to our elderly relations as 'American Celeste', came back to Dublin regularly - our maternal greataunt, Ebbie Dickson, went to visit her in the States once; she was friendly with the Mottershed family. In 1905, the passenger list for the 'Baltic' recorded the family travelling from Liverpool to New York City - they gave their destination as 241 West 135th Street, New York City. Later in 1928, the passenger list for the 'Adriatic', sailing from Cork to NYC, recorded Celeste Jones, born 11th August 1903, aboard the ship. )
Adelaide Victoria Jones, (aka Aunt Ada), 10th Sept. 1868.
Henry Arthur Jones, 19th Sept 1870. This child died when very young.
By 1872, the family had moved down the road to 9 Middle Mountjoy Street where the following births occur:
Robert Oscar Jones, 11th Nov.1872.
Isabella Alexandrina Jones, (aka Bella), 18th June 1875.
Emily Eveline Jones, (aka Tennie, our great-grandmother), 30th Dec. 1876.
Anna Maria Antoinette Jones (mother of Celeste Smith), 1st Oct 1878.
Percival Albert Jones, 22nd March 1881. (From Mount Jerome Cemetery: 'In memory of Emily Mabel, wife of Percy A. Jones, August 29th 1951; and Percy A. Jones, died May 7th 1956.')
There are also marriages at 9 Middle Mountjoy Street:
In 1880 Emmanuel Walter Moore (father Herbert Moore) married Isabella Pennefather Jones' sister, Anna Maria Pennefather, who was living at home with their parents, John Lysaght Pennefather and Emily Courtenay Pennefather, at 6 Edward Terrace, now called the Ballybough Road, near the North Strand. The witnesses were Charles Jones Junior and also what appears to be Charles Jones Senior although this individual's signature is quite illegible. The Moore family are quite interesting; I'll do a separate post about them later.
As can be seen, Charles and Isabella Jones have recently moved around the corner from Middle Mountjoy Street to Blessington Street.
Charles Jones Junior, who was much older than his wife, died on 14th May 1893, and Isabella Pennefather Jones continued on in business without him. His burial is noted in the archives of Mount Jerome Cemetery, and the record gives his full name as Charles James Jones, of 56 Blessington Street and formerly of 1, Stephens Green.
|Daguerrotype of Charles Jones, our great-great grandfather.|
On 3rd Feb 1897, Isabella's son, Robert Oscar Jones of 56 Blessington Street, married Adelina Maud Pelissier, the daughter of Edward Pelissier of 58 Blessington Street. Witnesses: Edward Pelissier and Meta Alexandra Reid.
On 21st April 1897, Isabella Alexandra Jones of 56 Blessington Street, married Robert James Mottershed, 16 Blessington Street, an engineer of Liverpool. The witnesses were our great-grandmother, Tennie/Emily Eveleen Jones and Percy A. Hay of 49 Belgrave Square. Percy's father, David Alexander Hay, earlier witnessed the marriage of Isabella Pennefather Jones' uncle, William Westby Pennefather, to Emma Hay in 1856.
Robert James Mottershed was worked with the railway, and was a close colleague of Percy A. Hay.
Isabella and Robert Mottershed would remain living at 16 Blessington Street where their son, Percival Charles Mottershed, would be born in 1898. Isabella Mottershed would die mid-1900, followed in 1929 by her husband Robert James Mottershed, an accountant with the railway. On both the 1901 and 1911 Census, Robert and his son Percy were either living or visiting with Charles Robert and Adelaide V. Dunbar who would later take the orphaned Percy Mottershed under their wing.
Percy Mottershed, the son of Isabella Alexandra Jones and Robert James Mottershed, married, on November 10th 1928, in St. Matthias' Church, Nellie Farrell. Percy's address at the time was given as Hatherton, Milltown. Nellie was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Farrell of Claremount Road, Sandymount, and previously of Mullingar, Westmeath.
In 1941, Percy Mottershed, of 15 Trees Road, Mount Merrion, Dublin, made a donation to the Northern Refugee Fund, which was to help residents of Belfast following the German Blitz of the city earlier that same year.
Our maternal great grandparents: on the 18th August 1897 in St Mary Church/the Black Church, Emily Eveleen Jones/Tennie married Joseph Edwards Dickson, a coal merchant of 15 Northumberland Road. He had been born to Henry Dickson a farmer of Benburb, Dungannon, County Tyrone. Emily was living at the family home in 56 Blessington Street and her father was noted on the certificate as Charles Jones, Decorator; there was no indication that he had died four years earlier however.
The witnesses were Tennie's brother, Robert Oscar Jones, and a William James Hardy who seems to have been a friend of Joseph Dickson from the Dungannon area.
By 1901, the widowed Isabella Pennefather Jones has moved from the city centre to 14 Howth Road along with the young Dickson family. By 1911 Joseph Edwards Dickson has also died tragically young and both widows - Isabella and her daughter Tennie - continue to live together in Howth.
Isabella's youngest son, Percival Albert Jones, married Emily Mabel Lloyd in the Plymouth Brethren church, Merrion Hall, on 4th September 1907. Percival, aka Percy, was living at the family home of 'Belmont', Nashville Road, Howth, and was a master contractor, working in the family business. His father, Charles Jones, was, of course, dead. Emily Mabel's father was William J. Lloyd, an official with the Bank of Ireland, who lived at Lambert Lodge, Sandymount Avenue. The witnesses were Frederick G. Chipperfield and Lily Lloyd.
Emily Mabel Lloyd had been born to the bank clerk, William Lloyd, and Annie Buckley at Castle Street, Dalkey, South Dublin, on 24th July 1885. William Lloyd was a prominent member of the Plymouth Brethren congregation at Merrion Hall.
From The Irish Times : 'Jones and Lloyd - September 4th 1907, at Merrion Hall, Dublin, Percival Albert, son of the late Charles Jones and Mrs. Jones of Ashbourne, Howth, to Emilie Mabel, younger daughter of William J. Lloyd of 2 Lambert Terrace, Sandymount Avenue, Co. Dublin,'
From the 1910 Dublin Street Directory:
161 Gt. Britain Street (165 being the Rotunda Maternity Hospital) - Jones, C & Sons, painters, decorators, general contractors.
161 Gt. Britain Street - Robert O. Jones - res. Highfield, Howth
161 Gt. Britain Street - Percival A. Jones - res. Belmont, Howth
3 Aston's Quay - Charles Jones, Decorator. (This, I believe was Charles Creighton Wycliffe Jones' working address; earlier it had also been an address used by the younger brother of Charles' stepmother, John Pennefather, who was also a builder/contractor.)
Kincora, 44 Merrion Road - Mrs. Jones. (This was Tilly Dunbar Jones, wife of the above.)
Montrose, Thormanby Road, Howth - Mrs. Dickson. (ie: our great-grandmother Tennie Dickson.)
Dickson J. E. & Co. - 110A Gt. Brunswick Street and Grand Canal Dock.
(Of interest: I keep stumbling across an Arthur James Jones, who may or may not be a relation somehow, although I strongly doubt it.
Both shared the middle name 'James', both had premises at Stephens Green, both were involved with interior decoration, and both had contracts with the Board of Works. Arthur Jones, amongst other things, was a maker of bog oak furniture which he exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851. I suggested above that Arthur might have been the brother of Charles Jones Senior, but might have been baptised as Frederick James Jones, before the name was changed to Arthur. It's just a hunch! Here is his entry from Thoms Directory of 1880:
'Arthur Jones & Son, cabinet manufacturer, carpet, chintz and silk merchant, house furnishers, house and land agents, undertakers, valuers and auctioneers to the Board of Works, 135 Stephens Green' He liked to keep himself busy.)