Search This Blog

Thursday, 24 November 2011

A Collection of Quins

Mary Ann Quin who married Thomas Williamsof the Bank of Ireland in St. Thomas's, Dublin, on 26th February 1777, and who was the mother of the founder of the Dublin Steam Packet Company, Charles Wye Williams, and Richard Williams, claimed descent from Mark Quin, Lord Mayor of Dublin, although there are no records of her birth which makes an exact link, or proof thereof, awkward.  She would have been born circa 1750.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/thomas-williams-first-secretary-to-bank.html

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/01/mary-anne-quin-wife-of-thomas-williams.html

I accessed a book 'Henry Quin, M.D. President and Fellow of King and Queen's College of Physicians in Ireland.' by Thomas Percy Claude Fitzpatrick and Henry Quin, at the National Library recently (February 2013) and this publication gives an excellent genealogy of the Dublin Quin family, although it makes no mention of Mary Anne Quin who was believed to be of the same family.  Other sources for this post include the Irish newspaper collection on Find My Past, and the Registry of Deeds, Henrietta Street, Dublin.

Mark Quin, Lord Mayor:
Mark Quin, later the Lord Mayor of Dublin, was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin in 1644. He married Mary Roche in 1645 and died in the late 1670's, after cutting his throat in Christ Church in a fit of jealousy over the conduct of his wife. He was an apothecary/merchant who lived at ‘The Flying Horse’ in High Street - ’The Flying Horse’ was a well-known school for apothecaries.  He was incredibly wealthy - the parish of St Michael kept their plate, money and documents at his house. He contributed £100 to the construction of the Hospital at Oxmantown Green in Dublin; in 1670 he paid Patrick Seagrove £10 for lime and stones used during the building of the hospital.
Mark Quin became the Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1676.

He had  sons - Thomas, James, Samuel (who was born on 26th July 1659) and John - and a daughter, Mary.    A son, Mark Quin, was baptised in Dublin on 9th May 1658 but might not have survived.
Mark Quin's son, Thomas Quin, merchant,  was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin in 1674 and  died unmarried in 1685.
Mark Quin's son, Samuel Quin, a merchant, was admitted to the Freemen in 1683.

In 1674, Mark’s daughter, Mary Quin, married Thomas Whitshed, an Irish barrister and MP for Carysfort, Dublin. who was the son of William Whitshed, a merchant.  Thomas Whitshed died in 1697.  Their eldest son, William, was a lawyer who became Solicitor General in 1709,  Chief Justice of the King's Bench in 1714, and Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in 1727.   He spent time in  both England and Ireland, and denounced, in 1720, a tract published by the Dean of St. Patrick's, Jonathon Swift, which called for the use of goods manufactured in Ireland.  He was lampooned mercilessly by Swift because of this. William Whitshed died in 1727 and was buried in St.Michael's, Dublin.  His three addresses were Mary Street, Stormanstown, Dublin, and Killencarrig, Wicklow.

Mary Quin and Thomas Whitshed had five sons and eight daughters.
One of their daughters, Mary Whitshed, married John Parnell;  a second daughter, Catherine Whitshed, married another member of the Quin family, probably a cousin, who had served his apprenticeship at the Quin's house, Thomas Quin, who died in 1722, leaving a son, also Thomas Quin, and two daughters.  This additional Thomas Quin, and there are many of them, was an apothecary of Skinner's Row, who was an alderman of the city in 1691 and Lord Mayor in 1698 and 1711.   His will, which was made on 29th January 1722, noted his widow as Catherine (née Whitshed) and his minor children as Thomas, Ann and Maria.
Another daughter of Mary Quin and Thomas Whitshed was Jane Whitshed who died unmarried in 1737.

When Mark Quine, Lord Mayor, died, he left £1000 a year to his son James Quin of Lincoln's Inn.  James Quin had converted to Roman Catholicism at some stage, and in 1690 he married a woman he'd met in Chester, who had posed as the widow of an army officer, John Grindzell.  On 24th February 1693, James Quin and the widow had a son, James Quin Junior, but shortly afterwards, the widow's first husband, John Grindzell, a shoemaker of Shrewsbury, turned up alive.  James Quin made his will on May 11th 1710, and died shortly afterwards, leaving everything to his illegitimate son, the actor James Quin.  His mother, Mrs. Grindzell, lodged a bill in chancery to recovery her son's property, but this was challenged by William Whitshed because of the boy's illegitemacy.  William Whitshed was the son of Mary Quin, Mark Quin's only daughter who had married Thomas Whitshed.
 Deprived of his inheritance because of this legal action, James Quin, who had been hoping to enter the legal profession, turned instead to the stage and became the most celebrated actor of his time.  He left £100 in his 1766 will of 1766 to Thomas James Quin, son of Dr. Henry Quin, a physician of Dublin. (See below.)  He also left money to the painter Thomas Gainsborough of Bath, whose portrait of James Quin is owned by Buckingham Palace.

Thomas Quin, Bricklayer of Castleknock:
As well as Mark Quin's family, there was a second Quin family who lived in Oxmanstown near Castleknock;  both families were closely related somehow..
On November 19th 1674, the marriage took place in St. Michan's of Thomas Quin, a bricklayer of Castleknock, and Ellinor/Ellen Doyle.  Their children were:

  • Margaret Quin, born September 23rd 1675.
  • Rose Quin, born January 30th 1677 or 1678, later Rose Smith.
  • John Quin, born June 16th 1679, died June 20th 1679.
  • Mary Quin, born October 3rd 1680.
  • Elizabeth Quin, born December 10th 1682.
  • Thomas Quin, born December 11th 1684; an alderman of Dublin and an apothecary, who served his apprenticeship in Mark Quin's premises, he married Catherine Whitshed.  A son of Alderman Thomas Quin was Thomas (or perhaps Richard) Quin, whose daughter, Catherine Quin, married, on 8th February 1788, Richard Read of Castlewarden and Quinsborough, Co. Kildare.   (Another Alderman Thomas Quin married widow Elizabeth Purefoy on 15th May 1712, but she died and was buried on 4th October 1712.)
The will of Thomas Quin, bricklayer of Castleknock, was signed on July 3rd 1685 and proved on September 25th.  Thomas mentions his wife, Ellen, and five children;  he also refers to his brother, Francis Quin, who was at the time serving his apprenticeship to him and who was to get his 'wearing apparroll', and, if he finished his apprenticeship with Mrs. Quin, a legacy of £10.  He also left his father, Terence, £5 and his broadcloth coat.  This Terence may have been his father-in-law, rather than his father.

Francis Quin, bricklayer:
The brother of Thomas Quin, bricklayer, was Francis Quin of Dublin, who represented the Guild of Bricklayers on the Common Council of Dublin in both 1714 and 1717.

Deed 21-204-11252, dated 30th and 31st May 1718, involved Thomas Quin, Alderman, Francis Quin, bricklayer, Thomas Brownrigg, Dublin gentleman, Mary Whitshed, widow and sole heiress of John Quin of Dublin.   This involved the sale of a property called The Bull Inn, along with 10 small brickhouses in Bull Alley and Patrick Street. They had once been owned by John Quin and were now being sold for £436 to Mary Quin with the consent of Thomas Quin, Junior, Apothecary.  The witnesses were Richard Whitshed of Dublin, Joseph Bury and Thomas Cooke Junior, notary.  I include this deed here to illustrate the links between the two Quin families of Dublin.

Yet another deed (32-159-19284, dated 17th October 1721) mentions Margaret Doyle, the niece of Francis Quin.  The parties to this deed were Francis Quin, bricklayer, John Williams of Dublin (he lived at Arrans Quay and was involved in many land deals with Francis Quin in the Church St/St.Michan's area), Richard Codd, the son of George Codd of Killiskillin, Meath, and Margaret Doyle, the daughter of Hugh Doyle, carpenter of Killcandra, Wicklow.  The deed involved the transferral of a house, newly built in Church Street, to John Williams, on the occasion of the marriage between Margaret Doyle and Richard Codd, and this was witnessed by Thomas Palmer of Ballyboggan, Meath.

On June 12th 1715, Francis Quin married Jane/Jenny Bellingham, the daughter of Henry Bellingham of Castlebellingham, Co. Louth.

Deed 14-467-6611, dated 1st June 1715, between Francis Quin, bricklayer, Henry Bellingham of Castlebellingham, and John Williams, gentleman of Dublin, concerned a property in Church Street which Francis Quin was demising to Henry Bellingham and John Williams.  I have found no link between this John Williams and the family of Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland who later married Mary Quin.

Francis Quin made his will on February 1st 1727, and died 8 days later on February 9th.  He specified that his son and heir, Thomas Quin, not yet 21, should be educated in Dublin, and if his son dies, then his property should all go to his nephew, Mr. Thomas Quin, apothecary of Dublin.   £10 should go to his niece, Rose Smith.    The executor was Captain Thomas Burgh, Surveyor-General of Ireland, and architect of the library in Trinity College and of Steeven's Hospital, both of which Francis Quin had built.
This will was also noted in Betham's Extracts - Francis Quin's nieces were named as Winifred Phillips and Bridget Byrne, while a nephew was Lawrence Doyle.  The son and heir of Francis Quin was his son Thomas Quin.   Sisters-in-law were Mrs Anne Bellingham and Mrs. Abigail Bellingham. A niece was Rose Smith, and a nephew was the apothecary Thomas Quin.  A relation was named as Abraham Phillips.

Francis Quin's son, Thomas Quin, was born in 1722 and settled or owned land in, Castlebellingham - this was where his mother's family, the Bellinghams, came from.  He fulfilled his father's wishes by entering Trinity College on April 6th 1738, aged 16.
 I believe he married Mary Wye who was the daughter of Rev. Charles Wye of Louth, and that he was the father of Mary Anne Quin who married Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland in 1777.  Betham's Extracts record the marriage of Thomas Quin, gent of Kilsaran, Co. Louth, to Mary Wye of Dromlisk, Louth, on 20th August 1746. Thomas Quin is always referred to in deeds as Thomas Quin of Castlebellingham.  

Thomas Quin, Apothecary:
Francis Quin's nephew was Thomas Quin, apothecary of Dublin, son of bricklayer Thomas Quin of Castleknock.  He married Isabella Brownrigg, the daughter of Henry Brownrigg and Joan or Jane Symes of Wingfield, Wexford, who had come to Ireland from Cumberland.  Jane Brownrigg, the widow of Henry Brownrigg, made her will on 25th June 1729 and named her daughter as Isabella the wife of Thomas Quin;  other children were named as Thomas, Henry, Rachel Hardy, Mary the wife of Henry Brownrigg of England, John and James. Her sister was Anne Hyde.

Thomas Quin, apothecary, appears in the printed records repeatedly, so must have been a prominent member of the community.  In 1720, Mary Whitshed, the daughter of Mark Quin the Lord Mayor, appointed Thomas Quin, apothecary, as one of the trustees of her will, in which she left him £20;  she left a further £5 to his wife, and £5 to her goddaughter, Mary, the daughter of Thomas Quin, apothecary.  This will was dated 30th March 1720 according to Deed 555-280-371677.

In October 1687 a list was drawn up to show the aldermen of Dublin corporation as established by James II - Thomas Quin, apothecary was included.  Confusingly, Thomas Quin, apothecary, had a prominent son, also Thomas Quin, who practised as an apothecary and was also an Alderman.

Mary Whitshed's daughter, Jane Whitshed, died unmarried in 1737 or 1738, and left £20 each to Thomas Quin, apothecary, and to his wife Isabella (Brownrigg);   she left £10 to his son John to buy rings with;  she left a pair of silver candlesticks to his eldest daughter, Mary, and a bequest of £600 to Steeven's Hospital to pay for three beds.    Earlier, in 1710, Dr. Richard Steevens, the founder of the same hospital which Francis Quin, bricklayer, had worked on, left £20 to the Alderman (and apothecary) Thomas Quin who was the husband of Catherine Whitshed.
Thomas Quin, apothecary, witnessed the will of Christian Borr of Bigg Butter Lane, Dublin, in 1733, and also the will of Mark Nowlan of Dublin in 1723.

Margaret Quin of Ballygannon, Wicklow, a spinster, named her kinsman, Thomas Quin, apothecary of Dublin, as her executor.

Thomas Quin, apothecary, was buried in St. Michan's on April 27th 1767.  The Freeman's Journal recorded that he died at Broadstone.  His will, which was proved on May 4th 1767, had been made out on 6th December  1763.  In this he named his wide as Isabella, and his son as Dr. Henry Quin whose wife was Anne (Monck).  A daughter was named as Mary Freeman and a granddaughter as Anne Mayant Freeman.  
Thomas Quin, apothecary, owned 20 and 21 Great Ship Street.  He helped to found the apothecary's guild, and was recorded as a warden of the guild in 1745 and 1746, and as a master in 1750.

Thomas Quin (Junior), apothecary, who married Isabella Brownrigg, had two sons, John Quin and Dr. Henry Quin, and a daughter Mary. In 1746 Mary Quin married John Freeman, a surgeon of London;  she died in her brother Henry's house on Stephen's Green in 1789.

Henry Quin M.D:
Henry Quin, the son of Thomas Quin, apothecary, and of Catherine Whitshed, was a prominent surgeon of Dublin, and a celebrated member of Dublin's high society. He attended Trinity from 1733 till 1737 and studied medicine in Italy.
Dr. Henry Quin held £6000 of stock in the fledgling Bank of Ireland in 1788.
Dr. Henry Quin (1718 - 1791) married Ann Monck on November 17th 1753 in St. Anne's.
 In 1749, he was elected King’s professor of the practice of physic in Trinity College.
In 1762 he bought 101 Stephen's Green from William Fairbrother of Foxhall, Wicklow;  being a talented harpsichord player, he installed a concert theatre in his Stephen's Green house.  He also bought Borleigh in Co. Wexford, for £13,000.
Henry's wife, Ann Monck, died on November 4th 1788, and he himself died at Stephen's Green on February 11th 1791.

Dr. Henry Quin’s daughter, Ann, married her cousin Charles Monck, 1st Viscount Monck, in 1784.

Henry Quin’s son, Henry George Quin, killed himself in 1805 by shooting himself through the heart. The younger Henry was renowned for his collection of rare books, but had always lamented his lack of a profession, which, it is believed, led to his suicide. He left £500 to each of his sisters, Isabella Anderson, Anne Quin and Henrietta Quin,  £3000 to his brother Charles William, and the residue to his brother Thomas James.  He also left his book collection to the Provost and Library of Trinity College, Dublin.

Henry Quin MD's son, Charles William Quin (1755 - 1818), became President of the College of Physicians in 1789. He was educated at Harrow, and was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, in 1772.  Charles William Quin married Elizabeth Preston, the daughter of Nathaniel Preston of Swainstown, Meath on 23rd August 1784.  (This was recorded in Deed 365-330-244784, dated 9th July 1784.)  Elizabeth, wife of Charles William Quin, died aged 83 in Wicklow in February 1840.

In 1785, one of Henry Quin's daughters, Henrietta Judith  Quin, married Robert Alexander, the son of William Alexander of Limavady, Co. Derry, and of Mary Porter of Monaghan.  Henrietta and Robert Alexander had William John, Henry, Robert, Charles Richard, John, Edward, Anne, Isabella, Mary Henrietta and Jane.

Henry's son, Rev. Thomas James Quin, married Ellen Wilson, the eldest daughter of William Wilson of Wilson Castle, Limerick, in 1795;  a cleric, Thomas James Quin was in Longhall, Armagh, in 1784, but later worked at the parish of Borleigh, Co. Wicklow. His seat was at Wingfield, Wicklow.  He died in Wingfield aged 86 on 22nd January 1841. Thomas James Quin's second son,the barrister William Charles Quin, was admitted to Trinity in 1814, aged 16.  His Trinity admission notes mention that his father, Thomas, was of Wicklow.  Later called Charles William Quin, he married Elizabeth Kemmis of Ballinacor, Wicklow, 2nd February 1827.
Isabella Quin,the daughter of Rev. Thomas James Quin of Wicklow,  with an address at 101 Stephen's Green South, married, on June 29th 1836, Rev. James Jones of Madden, Co. Armagh, third son of the late Rev. James Jones of Urmey.
The fifth and youngest son of Rev. Thomas James Quin of Wingfield was the lawyer John James Quin who was called to the bar in 1841 but who died of fever in Milan on 27th December 1843.  Ellen, the eldest daughter of Rev. Thomas Quin of Wingfield, died at 3 Pembroke Road in July 1869. Harriet Quin, the youngest daughter of the late Rev. Thomas Quin of Wingfield, married Matthew Forde  of Hyde Park, Wexford, in Delgany Church on 7th June 1841.

Deed 555-280-371677, dated November 1803, confirmed that the Rev. Thomas Quin of Wingfield, County Wicklow, was the executor of the will of Henry Quin, MD of Dublin, who was the son and heir of Thomas Quin of Dublin, deceased, who was the executor of his mother, Catherine Quin, formerly of Dublin, widow, executrix named in the will of Mary Whitshed, formerly of Dublin, dated 30th March 1720 or 1728.  A second party to this 1803 deed was Rear Admiral James Hawkins Whitshed, executor and devisee named in the will of James Whitshed of New Burlington, Westminster.  In consideration of Mary Whitshed's will, Thomas Quin was to give up to James Hawkins Whitshed, property near Bull Alley (or Symmons Alley) lately in the possession of the representatives of Mary Whitshed.  An earlier lease for this same property had been made in May 1778 between James Whitshed and Dr. Henry Quin.

Dr. Henry Quin's daughter, Isabella, married another member of the Quin family, becoming Mrs. Quin.  Her death in 1816 was recorded:
    'Mrs. Isabella Quin, died, eldest daughter of the late Dr. Henry Quin, and sister to Dowager Viscountess Monck, and, maternally, first cousin to Elizabeth, late Marchioness of Waterford, and Isabella, Dowager Viscountess Howarden.'  (Gentleman's Gazette, 1816.)

Thomas Quin, Esq., K.C., Barrister-at-law:

Richard Palmer Williams, the grandson of Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland and of Mary Anne Quin, was a talented amateur zoologist who contributed a piece, 'On the Occurrence of the Spoonbill in Co. of Cork' to the Monthly Journal of Natural History, in which he stated that Richard Quin of Firgrove, Inishannon, Cork, was his relation whose primary contribution to natural history research involved shooting everything that moved.

Later, in 1870,  Richard Palmer Williams proved the will of the same Richard Quin of Firgrove, Inishannon, Co. Cork, which further confirms the family link.  

Richard Quin of Firgrove was the second son of Thomas Quin, barrister-at-law of Dublin, who married Charlotte Orpen, the daughter of Rev. Richard Orpen of Frankfort, Cork, in 1790.   Thomas Quin, barrister of Dublin, was possibly the brother of Mary Quin, Richard Palmer Williams' grandmother.

Although I've found nothing to clarify his parentage, Thomas Quin was most likely the following individual.

The Register of Admissions to Gray’s Inn in London shows up a Thomas Quin, admitted on March 27th 1780, the only son of Thomas Quin of the city of Dublin, a gentleman. In the ‘Treble Almanack’ of 1815, there is an entry for a barrister, Thomas Quin, called to the bar in 1785, and living at 16 Leeson St., Dublin.  Any barrister wishing to be called to the Irish bar, first had to keep nine terms at the King’s Inns in Dublin and eight terms at the Inns of Court in London. Most Irish students attended Gray’s Inn because of its greater facility of admission and cheaper fees.
This Thomas Quin, barrister, is believed to have been the same man who wrote ‘City of Refuge’ a poem in four books, published in London in 1817.

In 1790, Thomas Quin, Esq., a barrister-at-law of Leeson Street, Dublin, and relation of Richard Palmer Williams, married Charlotte Orpen, the daughter of the late Rev. Mr. Thomas Orpen of Frankfort, Cork.  When Charlotte Quin died in Firgrove in 1848, the newspapers noted her as being formerly of Leeson Street.  Thomas Quin died whilst on circuit in Limerick in March 1829.
The children of Thomas Quin KC and Charlotte Orpen were:

1) Thomas Quin who married, in 1816, Charlotte Melian Stawell and they had a son, Thomas Stawell Quin (20th April 1817 - 29th September 1886) who, on 7th May 1844 in Brinny, Co. Cork, married Mary Conner/Connor, the daughter of Rev. Richard Longfield Conner MA, of Downdaniel Castle, Inishannon, the Rector of St. Anne's, Shandon, Cork City.  The daughter of Thomas Stawell Quin and Mary Connor was Mary Frances Melian Quin who later married Rev. George Pring Quick, who would prove the will of the widowed Mary Quin, née Conner, when she died at Firgrove on 10th March 1892.
Thomas Stawell Quin of Firgrove had made his will in 1886 and had named his cousins as Charlotte Orpen Meade, Richard Meade, Thomas Quin Meade and John Meade. Other of the Meade siblings were Elizabeth Quin Meade who died in 1883, Mary de Courcy Meade who died in 1890, and Martha Emma Meade.  Their brother was General John de Courcy Meade.


2) Richard Quin, JP, (1790 - 18th May 1870) who settled at Firgrove, Inishannon, and who contributed to Richard Palmer Williams' natural history research.  He might have married a member of the Massey or Ellard families, since his daughters carried those names.   Elizabeth Massey Quin, married in 1882, the Rev. Joseph Edwards Leeds, but this couple divorced in 1891.
Sophia Ellard Quin, daughter of Richard Quin JP, married in October 1869 in Inishannon, Henry Webb Junior of Kanturk - this couple had Richard Henry Quin in Cork on 20th August 1870, George William/Atkinson Web born in Kerry on 18th August 1872, Sophia Mary Webb born in Cork on 14th June 1874 and Charles John Savael Webb born in Kerry on 12th May 1878.
Another of Richard Quin's daughters, Charlotte Elizabeth Quin, married in Brinny on 11th October 1850, Shaw Busteed, the son of Captain Henry Busteed of Carrigaline, Co. Cork.  Shaw Busteed died on 11th August 1869 at Ballinrea, Co. Cork.
Mary Jane Quin, the daughter of Richard Quin of Firgrove, married in Inishannon on 14th October 1856, Hugh Travers Adams, the son of William Adams.
In Firgrove, Inishannon in 1901 was farmer William John Quin, who had been born in about 1857 to a Richard B. Quin and who married Mary Elizabeth Lane, the daughter of farmer George Mellifont Lane, on 3rd June 1884 in St. Peter's, Cork city.   This couple had 16 surviving children who carried the family names of 'DeVere' and what looks like 'Belsagne'.

3) Bessy/Elizabeth Quin who married, in 1814, Captain John Meade RN, who was the son of Reverend Richard Meade and of Mary de Courcy.   Captain John Meade and Elizabeth Quin had a son, General Sir Richard Meade, as well as Charlotte Orpen Meade, Thomas Quin Meade, General John de Courcy Meade, Elizabeth Quin Meade who died in 1883, Mary de Courcy Meade who died in 1890, and Martha Emma Meade.

4) Charlotte Quin who died young in Leeson Street, Dublin, on 2nd July 1806.


Finally, in Gray’s Inn, London,  in 1784, a Thomas Quin was appointed ‘puisne butler’ on 25th November; later, in 1787, the same man was appointed second butler and panyerman and Steward’s and Chief Butler’s man, in place of Peter Davies who had resigned and been pensioned. Later in the same year, 1787, he was elected Steward and Chief Butler. In 1806,  Thomas Quin, Steward of Gray’s Inn, 2 Holborn Court, gave evidence in the case of Edward Swinney who had been indicted for stealing lead off the roof at Gray’s Inn.  From ‘The Gentleman’s Magazine, Vol.113’:  ‘Aged 68,  Mr.Thomas Quin, many years steward to the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn; deservedly respected for his integrity, liberality and unassuming manners.’  (1813). 
This Thomas Quin made his will in 1813, but makes no mention of any Irish relations - he mentioned two brothers, William Quin, painter/glazier of Camden Town, and James Quin, yeoman of London, and a son-in-law, Francis Millard. His will was witnessed by John Jeffery Williams of Grays In, a cousin of Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland who married Mary Ann Quin;  earlier, in 1788, Thomas Quin of Gray's Inn, London, had witnessed John Jeffery Williams' marriage to Sarah Dignan in St. Leonard's Church, Shoreditch.
Our (possible) paternal great-great-great-great grandfather, John Jeffery Williams, a relation of Thomas Williams of the Bank of Ireland, succeeded Thomas Quin as Steward of Gray’s Inn, the post he held when he died in 1815.

No comments:

Post a Comment