This post collates a few notes on the various early Dublin shareholders of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company.
James Jameson. James was the eldest son of John Jameson, the Scottish owner of the Jameson Distillery in Bow Street, Dublin, which he had taken over in 1780. James took over the running of their sister distillery in Marrowbone Lane from his late brother, William Jameson. He lived at 24 Harcourt St.and at Montrose, Stillorgan, and was one of the directors of the Bank of Ireland which would have brought him into contact with Richard Williams, notary to the bank; he was also on the board of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce in the 1830s and 1840s.
James’ sister, Janet Jameson, was married to John Woolsey (born 1772 in Louth to Rev. William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham, died 1835) of Castlebellingham, who was also an early shareholder in the CDSPCo. Richard Palmer, another early investor, was married to Frances Woolsey (Frances’ parents were also Rev. William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham) of Castle Bellingham - Anne Palmer who married the co-founder of the steam company, Richard Williams, was the sister of Richard Palmer. The brother of Anne and Richard Palmer was George Palmer (of French St, Dublin) who was yet another of the early shareholders.
A son of John and Janet Woolsey was John Woolsey who married a member of the Portarlington Willis family, Elizabeth Lucy Willis, who was the daughter of Rev. Henry de Laval Willis. Henry de Laval Willis was the first cousin of Geraldine O’Moore Creighton who married Richard Williams of 17 Eden Quay, the bookkeeper for the CDSPCo. (And our maternal great-great grandparents.) Henry de Laval Willis himself also married a member of the Woolsey family - on 16th October 1841, he married Mary Ann Woolsey, the daughter of Thomas Woolsey, who was the son of William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham.
James Ferrier, Willow Park, Booterstown. Originally Scottish, the Ferrier family transferred their wholesale haberdashery business from Paisley to Dublin in 1771, locating first in Eustace Street. In 1835 James Ferrier bought the old stamp office in South William Street, and founded the wholesale silk and haberdashery firm of Ferrier and Pollock, which remained in South William Street until the late 1970s. The site is presently occupied by the Powerscourt Townhouse shopping centre. He was on the board of the Chamber of Commerce, and was also, in the 1830s, a director of the Bank of Ireland.
An extract from the minutes of the proceedings of the proprietors of the CDSPCo at its half-yearly meeting, held 31st October 1840: ‘Resolved, - That this meeting cannot separate without offering to Mr Williams (ie: Charles Wye Williams) their sincere thanks for his valuable work on the combustion of coal; and that it be recommended to the Directors to request him to superintend the publication of a new edition, at the Company’s expense, with the view to its distribution among the proprietors. (Signed) James Ferrier, Chairman. P. Howell, Secretary.’
(The above referred to Charles Wye William’s book 'The Combustion of Coal and The Prevention of Smoke etc.'
Joseph Robinson Pim, Fitzwilliam Square. 1787 - 1858. Quaker. In 1831, he married Anna Jemima Lecky. He was born in the Quaker heartland of Mountmellick, and later settled in Liverpool with his family, where he worked as an agent, then as an officer on a steamer. The Pim family were cotton merchants with a Dublin address at 22 South William Street, where James Ferrier, silk merchant, had his concern. They were the owners of Greenmount Cotton Mill in Harolds Cross.
John Oldham, Suffolk St.
From ‘Scientific London’ by Bernard Henry Becker: ‘In the memory of the late Charles Wye Williams, I find that about the year 1819 - with the intention of assisting Mr. John Oldham, the engineer at the Bank of Ireland - turned his attention to steam navigation with the object of introducing Mr.Oldham’s patent feathering paddles...’
John Oldham (1779-1840), born in Dublin, was a miniature painter and a distinguished engineer-inventor. In 1809 he developed a machine for serial numbering of bank notes, adopted by the Bank of Ireland in 1812. Oldham was appointed engineer and chief engraver to the bank. In 1817, and 1820, he patented designs for paddle steamer propulsion systems. His systems were eventually used in the first ever ocean-going iron steamer Aaron Manby. In 1832 he designed a mechanical water supply system for the R.D.S. botanic garden. Oldham migrated to London in 1837, where he worked for the Bank of England. He died at his residence in Montagu Street, London, on 14 February 1840.
1841 Obituary of John Oldham:
John Oldham, the Engineer of the Banks of England and Ireland, was born in Dublin, where he served an apprenticeship to the business of an engraver, which he practised for some time, but subsequently quitted to become a miniature painter, wherein he acquired some reputation.
He pursued this branch of the arts for many years, but having a strong bias towards mechanical pursuits, he devoted much of his leisure time to the acquisition of that knowledge which was to prove the foundation of his future celebrity.
In the year 1812, he proposed to the Bank of Ireland his system of mechanical numbering and dating the notes, and on this being accepted, he became the chief Engraver and Engineer to that Establishment. The period of twenty-two years, during which he held this appointment, was marked by continually progressive steps of artistical and mechanical ingenuity. The various arrangements which he projected and carried out attracted great attention, and conferred considerable celebrity on the establishment with which he was connected.
The late Governor of the Bank of England, Mr. T. A. Curtis, had his attention directed to these important improvements, and under his influence the whole system of engraving and printing as pursued in the Bank of Ireland was introduced into the national establishment of this country, under the superintendence of its author, who continued in the service of the Bank until his death.
The ingenuity of Mr. Oldham was directed to other objects, especially to a system of ventilation, of which an account was given by the author during the session of 1837.
Great versatility of inventive faculty, persevering industry, and social qualities of the highest order, were the prominent features in his character, and the success which attended his exertions is one of the many gratifying instances to be found in the history of this country, of talents and industry destitute of patronage attaining to eminence in the professions to which they are devoted.
John Doherty, Stephens Green
Ephraim Carroll, Stephens Green. Ephraim Carroll, son of Ephraim Carroll, was a barrister who married, firstly, Elizabeth Doherty, the daughter of John Doherty of Aungier St, in 1789. He was MP for Fethard, then Bannow in Co. Wexford from 1783 till 1799. He opposed the Act of Union in 1800/1801 which did away with the Irish Parliament in Dublin.
Brent Neville Junior, Sackville St. In 1810, Brent Neville was a sheriff in Dublin, but this could have been his father. Brent Neville Junior was a wine merchant of Abbey Street, and was a member of Dublin’s city council.
Bryan Molloy of Belvidere Place in the said city Esq.,
James Kelly of Pembroke Street in the said city Esq.,
John Daniel of Belview in the county of Meath Esq.,
Henry Higginbotham of Bachelors Walk in the County of Dublin Esq., Earlier, in 1814, he had been living at 4 East Mountjoy Square. In 1812 he was on the board of The Royal Exchange Insurance Company, which engaged in marine insurance in Dublin.
James McCall of Bachelors Walk in the City of Dublin Esq. Of James McCall & Co, merchants, 16 Bachelors Walk; he was on the board of The Royal Exchange Insurance Company along with, amongst others, Henry Higginbotham in 1812; in 1820 he was also, involved with The Corporation for Improving the Port of Dublin.
Richard Cane of Dawson Street in the said City Esq., Was of 60 Dawson Street and Laraghbryan, Celbridge, Co. Kildare. Richard Cane was an army agent, whose offices were at 61 Dawson Street. Although both he and his wife, Isabella Dawson, are buried at Laraghbryan, there is a memorial plaque for them in St.Anne’s Church in Dublin.
His RDS membership records:
‘Richard Cane was elected a member of the Dublin Society in 1808. His proposers were General Vallancey and Doctor Smyth. He served on the botany and agriculture committee 1816-17. The Dublin street directories listed him as an army agent, Dawson Street (1806), a general agent to the yeomanry service and director of the Steam Packet Boat Company (1818), and a wide streets commissioner, director of the Bank of Ireland, and member of the Ouzel Galley Society (1834). Also in 1834 he was described as agent for Chelsea pensioners resident in Ireland. References in issues of The Freeman's Journal for 1829 show that at that time he was a director of the National Assurance Company of Ireland, and a governor of the Mendicity Institution. His father, Major Edward Cane, was a descendant of the O'Cahans of Limavady, and had an army agency at 60 Dawson Street. Richard Cane married Elizabeth Dawson of Castle Dawson, County Londonderry. He was educated at T.C.D., and was a director of the Grand Canal Company and a supporter of numerous Dublin charities. He was a director of the Bank of Ireland in alternate years 1825-9, during 1831-53, and governor of the bank 1840-2. Richard Cane was deleted from the R.D.S. membership list in 1853.’
Thomas Gibbons of Dame Street in the said City Esq., Was of the family of James Gibbons who were in business with Richard Williams and Hutchins Thomas Williams at 38 Dame Street.
Hutchins Thomas Williams of Dame Street in the said City Esq.,
Edward Rotheram of Sallymount in the County of Meath Esq.
Robert Roe of Crampton Quay in the City of Dublin Esq., In the 1820s, Robert Roe was the secretary of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce. Robert Roe, merchant, Temple Bar and 1 Crampton Quay, and Fitzwilliam Square. A member of the distillery family, he was a director of the Bank of Ireland in alternate years 1823-7, and during 1829-36. He was a signatory of the protestant petition for catholic emancipation in 1829 and supported liberal candidates in the Dublin city elections of 1833. Robert Roe died in September 1836.
Robert Roe was related to James Jameson of Marrowbone Lane.
John Clarke of Astons Quay in the said City Esq.,
Alexander Taylor of Mespill in the County of Dublin Esq.. Major Alexander Taylor of Mespil had responsibility for maintaining fountains in the Liberties area of Dublin, and was on the board of the Commissioners of Wide Streets.
Henry Smith of Annesbrook in the County of Meath Esq.
George Palmer of French Street in the City of Dublin Esq. This was the brother of Anne Palmer, who was married to Richard Williams.
James Lenox William Naper (the son of William Naper of Cheltenham, Gloucester) of Loughcrew in the County of Meath Esq., Was English - a son, James Lenox, was born and baptised in Monks Kirby, Warwick, in 1824 to James Lenox William and a wife named Lucy. An earlier James Lenox Naper was born in London in 1822, but to a wife named Selina Skepanch who he married in 1822 in London. James Lenox William Naper himself died in Warwick in 1868, aged about 77. His son - who was also of Loughcrew, Meath, with a London residence at Lowndes Square - died at the Kildare Street Club in Dublin in 1901.
James-Lenox-William Naper , esq. of Loughcrew , in the county of Meath , b. 18 Feb 1791 , and inherited the estates at the decease of his father, in the Nov following, m. 03 May 1824 , Selina , second daughter of Sir Grey Skipwith , bart. of Newbold Hall , in Warwickshire , and has issue,
Abraham Lane of Ormond Quay in the City of Dublin Esq., Was originally from Cork, where his brother, Richard Lane (in the 1820s) had a brewery and interests in the woollen trade. Their father, Abraham Lane Senior, established a woollen factory in Cork in the 1770s to supply clothing for the army.
Richard Manders of Mountjoy Square in the said City Esq., Was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1801. Was a sheriff’s peer in Dublin in 1832. His son, Richard Manders, married Elizabeth, the daughter of Robert Roe, Fitzwilliam Square, in 1851.
Robert Manders of Mountjoy Square in the said City Esq., The Manders family were in the flour milling and brewery businesses.
Henry William Thompson of Stone Brook in the County of Kildare Esq.,
William Walshe of Rutland Square in the City of Dublin Esq.,
The Deeds of Agreement of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company, dated 13th July 1824, were witnessed and sealed in the presence of Thomas Palmer by the following:
Charles Wye Williams
Brent Neville Junior
Hutchins Thomas Williams
William John Alexander (His father was: Sir Robert Alexander
Born: 1769. RDS notes:
'Robert Alexander, 3rd baronet, Sackville Street, was elected a member of the Dublin Society in 1808. His proposers were Thomas Burgh and Luke White. Son and heir of the 2nd baronet (q.v.), he was born in 1769 and married, in 1796, Eliza, daughter and heiress of John Wallis (q.v.). He was collector of carriage duties for the Dublin police, an army agent, a member of the Ouzel Galley Society, and a director of the Bank of Ireland 1808-27. He was deleted from the R.D.S. membership list in 1854. According to Debrett (1877 ed.) the baronetcy was created in 1809, and the family were related to the earls of Caledon. Alexander's bank failed on 12 June 1820, leading to the sale at auction of the Belcamp estate, but the family retained property at Cruicestown, Kells.'
William Atkinson (A William Atkinson was a haberdasher of Pimlico in 1801.)
Abraham Lane of Cork and Dublin.
The above group also witnessed and sealed the 1825 Deeds.
In 1826, Henry Higinbotham resigned. The proprietors were convened, and it was agreed that James Jameson of Harcourt Street be elected as a Trustee to replace Henry Higinbotham. Amongst the proprietors in 1826 were the following:
Paul Twigg, James Twigg (was in the linen industry and wine industry), Joseph Harvey, William Lunell Guinness, Arthur Lunell Guinness, William Williams, Thomas Williams, James Ferrier, James Jameson, James McCall, Robert Roe, Benjamin Guinness, George Palmer, Alexander Bewley, George Francis Carleton, George Howell, Robert Guinness, Brent Neville, Joseph Hone, Richard Williams, Richard Palmer, Thomas Pim, Thomas Higinbotham, Charles Wye Williams, Nathaniel Callwell, Jonathan Pim, Hutchins Thomas Williams, Joseph Bewley.
Nathaniel Callwell: Nathaniel Calwell was a stationer and state lottery office keeper operating out of number 28 College green at the start of the 19th Century. Calwell employed the builder and master carpenter Richard Knight to erect houses plots of land at Fitzwilliam Square and they were completed in 1818. By deed dated 3rd March 1819 Calwell demised the new number 11 Fitzwilliam square to William Sharman Crawford of Warringstown, county Down for the sum of £1,250. Number 11 would act as the Dublin townhouse for this radical politician and tenant’s rights advocate until 1824.
There were two Nathaniel Callwells, father and son, so it’s unclear which one we’re dealing with here. The elder Nathaniel, who developed housing in Fitzwilliam Square, was born in Belfast to Robert Callwell in 1766 and died in Dublin in 1832; his wife was Maria, daughter of James Lecky. (Joseph Robinson Pim also married a Lecky.)
The son, also Nathaniel, married in 1830, Mary Olivia d’Olier, the daughter of Isaac d’Olier. He married, secondly, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Wilson. In 1855, he was High Sheriff of Longford and was a Director and Governor of the Bank of Ireland. Nathaniel No. 2 lived at Toneen, Longford.
In 1818, Nathaniel Callwell recommended that Hutchins Thomas Williams of 38 Dame St be allowed to practice as a stockbroker in Dublin.
Phineas Howell (1802 - 1888), of 16 Eden Quay, worked in the Dublin office of the CDSPCo as agent and secretary, but spent some time in the 1820s in Liverpool.
He married twice, first to Jane Franceys/Frances in 1826, by whom he had three children. She died young in 1829, and Phineas married again, this time to Fanny Franceys (possibly Jane’s sister) in Edge Hill, Walton, Liverpool in 1832. He gave his full name as Phineas Airey Howell, widower of St.Thomas‘s, Dublin; the witnesses were two members of the Beausire family.
Phineas Howell was admitted to the Freemen of Dublin on April 3rd 1837 through service to Robert Marshal who had himself been admitted in 1801.
In 1835, Phineas Howell’s home address was 9 Fairview Avenue, Clontarf.
Phineas Howell’s daughter, Eliza Franceys Howell, of 16 Eden Quay, married, on 24th December 1845, the merchant John Charley of The Imperial Hotel, and son of Hill Charley. (Witnesses John Lefebvre and John Gray). Their son would be named Phineas Howell Charley. The Charley family were involved with linen manufacture in the Lagan Valley near Belfast, and were shareholders in the CDSPCo.
Phineas also had a daughter, Hannah Mary, born in Liverpool in 1827. A son, also Phineas Howell, had been born in Ireland in about 1835 to Phineas and Frances; he emigrated to Chicago in 1885 where he died in 1914. He had married Mary E. Dunn; the 1910 US Census shows him widowed and living at Norwood Park, Cook County. His daughter, Emma S. Howell, married Walter J. Mesler in 1916 - Walter was the son of George Mesler and Katie Frey.