Search This Blog

Friday, 17 May 2013

The Grogan Family of Dublin, Westmeath and Wicklow

Although not closely related to them, the Grogan family of Westmeath, Dublin and Wicklow crossed paths with my own Dublin Courtenay family and with the Ryans of Ballymackeogh, Tipperary, who also intermarried with the Pennefathers of Newport, Tipperary, all of whom are ancestors of mine, so I've done a little research into them, using Burke's genealogies available online on Google Books, and the Irish Genealogy website.

The earliest known member of this family was John Geoghegan of Co. Antrim who settled in Co. Wexford, and whose son was John Grogan, (1653 - 1720)  who married twice. By his first wife, Anne Reynolds of Wexford, he had a son, Cornelius Grogan, from whom the Grogans of Johnstone Castle, Co. Wexford, descended.
Cornelius Grogan (1687 - 1724) married Elizabeth White of Ballyellis, Co. Wexford, and, by her, had John Grogan of Johnstone Castle who, on 6th September 1735,  married his cousin Catherine Knox, the daughter of Andrew Knox and Mary Grogan.   This John Grogan made a will in August 1775 which was proved on 10th April 1784 - he named his sons in order as Cornelius, George Knox Grogan (the mayor of Galway), William Grogan (he died in 1785), Thomas Knox Grogan who died in 1798 during the rebellion, John Knox Grogan (born in 1760, he married Elizabeth Geraldine Fitzgerald, the daughter of the late Stephen Fitzgerald of Ballythomas, Queen's County, in January 1803 - this from 'Saunders Newsletter', 5th January 1803)and Overstreet Grogan.   John Grogan's will only named two of his daughters - Anne Ribton and Anna Maria Simon, whose husband was Stucky Simon, and who had a son James Simon.   Other, unnamed daughters, were  Catherine Grogan who married Vesey Colclough of Tintern Abbey, Mary Grogan who married Ebenezer Radford Rowe and Anne Grogan who married James White.
John Grogan's will also named a cousin as Lawrence Grogan.

The eldest son of John Grogan and Catherine Knox was Cornelius Grogan, at one time MP for Enniscorthy, who, caught up in the 1798 rebellion, was accused of treason, possibly erroneously, and was executed, aged about 70, on Wexford Bridge on 27th June 1798. He was buried in Rathaspeck graveyard adjoining his Johnstown estates; his property eventually passed to his nephew, John Grogan, and then to his grandnephew George Grogan Morgan who was alive in 1844.

A memorial plaque in St. Saviour's, Arklow, Co. Wicklow, commemorates these early members of the family, and their role in the Rebellion of 1798, although makes no mention of another of the eldest of the brothers, Cornelius Grogan:

'Sacred to the memory of Thomas Grogan Knox of Castletown, Co. Wexford Esq., who was killed at the head of his Corps with two others charging the rebels  on 8th June 1798 under the command of the Honorable Major Gen'l Needham at the battle of Arklow....he fell in the defence of his King and County aged 41 years....having taken his degree in Trinity College, he purchased a Cornetcy in the 2nd Horse (now the 5th Dragoon Guards) and continued in it for 15 years. He raised the above Corps, the Castletown Yeoman Cavalry (64 members) the 31st October 1796,,,he was the second surviving son of the late John Grogan of Johnstown....who was for many years MP for the town of Enniscorthy.  This...was erected by his brother, John Knox Grogan of Johnstown.'

John Knox Grogan, who erected the above memorial plaque, died aged 59 on 20th March 1815.   His brother, Overstreet Grogan, a Dublin merchant, made a will in 1758 in which he named his brother, John Grogan, and his sister as Anna Maria, the wife of Stucky Simon.  A cousin was Edward Grogan, and a brother or, more likely, brother-in-law, was Robert Carson.

To return to the earlier John Grogan, (1653 - 1720) who, following the death of his first wife Mary Reynolds, married a second time, his next wife being Anne Smith.  Daughters were Mary Grogan who married Andrew Knox of Rathmacnee, and Sarah Grogan who married William Morgan, the mayor of Waterford.  (William Morgan, alderman of Waterford, made a will  in 1786 which named his wife as Sarah Grogan and his children as John, Samuel and Anne Morgan.)

The son of John Grogan  (1653 - 1720)and Anne Smith was Edward Grogan of Ballytrain.

This Edward Grogan of Ballytrain, Wexford, had a son, also named Edward.   The younger of the two Edwards settled in Raheny, Dublin, where he married Jane Grierson (28th February 1740/1 - November 22nd 1814), the daughter of George Grierson and Jane Blow, in St. Andrew's, Dublin, on 1st May 1762.  He was a silk mercer.
Their children follow:

1) George Grogan who died in 1763; also Euphemia Grogan who died in 1764.

2)  Janet Catherine Grogan, born 1766, married Sir Jonah Barrington in St. Werbergh's,  Dublin, on 7th June 1789.   See further detail below.

3) John Grogan of 10 Harcourt Street, Dublin, then of Tinakilly Lodge, Wicklow. (1770 - 1830).  A barrister, he married Sarah Medlicott, the daughter of George Dowling Medlicott of Youngstown, Kildare, and of Sarah Meredyth.  Sarah Meredyth was a direct descendant of  Richard Meredyth who was appointed Bishop of Leighlin in 1589 and who had come to Ireland from Wales as chaplain to the Lord Deputy Sir John Perrott.  Both the names 'Medlicott' and 'Meredyth' would be recur in later generations of the Grogan family as a middle name.

The Meredyth family has been extensively resesarched by Keith Winter and you can access his excellent website here:

John Grogan was buried in the family plot in Raheny.

John Grogan and Sarah Medlicott had:
   a)  Sir Edward Grogan, Baronet of Moyvore, Westmeath (5th November 1802 - 1891).  Created a baronet on April 11th 1859, Sir Edward Grogan married Charlotte Katherine McMahon in the British Embassy in Paris on July 27th 1867, the ceremony being performed there by Edward's younger brother, Rev. Charles James Grogan, who was also heir-presumptive to Sir Edward. The bride, Charlotte Catherine,  was the eldest daughter of the baronet, Sir Beresford B. McMahon. Sir Edward Grogan, a fiercesome loyalist opposed to Catholic emancipation,  died at Ballyntyre House, Dundrum, Co. Dublin, in 1891.  He left a son, Sir Edward Ian Beresford Grogan, who had been born on 29th November 1873 at Avoca, Wicklow, and who succeeded his father as baronet on 26th January 1891.  There were also three daughters, Maria Katherine Nina, Sarah Madeleine and Aileen Edward Sybil Theresa.   The son, Sir Edward Ian Beresford Grogan, married Eleanor Flora Bosworth;  he died at Shropham Hall, Norwich, on 11th July 1927.
     b) Rev. Charles James Grogan (1805 - 5th October 1887).
     c)  Rev. John Grogan (1816 - 28th December 1899). He married Elizabeth Bourne, the daughter of the solicitor, Peter Bourne of 20 York Street, in St. Peter's, Dublin, on 2nd October 1850.  At the time of the wedding, Rev. John Grogan was living in Annamoe Glebe, Co. Wicklow.  The witnesses were Edward Grogan, Charles Frizel of Castle Kevin (who was married to Elizabeth Bourne's sister, Jane) and George Gibb.
Elizabeth died at 21 Clyde Road on 24th July 1921. Rev. John Grogan and Elizabeth Bourne  had John Edward Grogan (1852 - 1871); Lizzie Grogan (born in Annamoe on 20th April 1853 - 4th December 1938; she died at 21 Clyde Road); Edward Medlicott Grogan (1856 - 1871);  Ellen Fanny Grogan who married Rev. Arthur Edward Butt and had two daughters, Irene and Olive Butt;  Caroline Jane Grogan who married Arthur Gore Ryder and who was living in Sidmonton Terrace in Bray in 1901;  Alice Grogan, born 1863;  the doctor, Amelia Grogan (1864 - 1930) - Amelia worked in the Mullingar Asylum and died in 1930 at 7 Anson Road, Tufnell Park, Middlesex;  George Meredith Grogan (1867 - 4th July 1942), a military man who married Eva Augusta Elizabeth Ellis, and who lived at Plattenstown, Arklow, Co. Wicklow.  In 1931, George and Eva had a son, Hume Grogan, later Major Hume Grogan of the Irish Guards.
    d) Sarah Grogan (1804 - 1870);  she married Anthony John Dopping of Lowtown House, Westmeath, in St. Peter's, Dublin, on 10th November 1823.  The witnesses were W. J. Moore and Sir Henry Mar.   The Dopping-Hepenstall papers, published online, show two assignments of mortgages on properties in Westmeath, which involved the following parties - Thomas Williams of Dublin, possibly 50 Lower Sackville Street, whose children married into the Killucan DeCourcey family,  Anthony John Dopping of Galtrim, Westmeath, Joseph Henry Moore of Bachelors Walk, this dated 5th May 1825.   The second mortgage document involved Jospeh Henry Moore of Bachelors Walk, Anthony John Dopping, and Edward Grogan of Harcourt Street, this dated 28th June 1828.
     e)  Jane Grogan who married William Ryan of Ballymackeogh.
     f)  Isabel Grogan (1811 - 1869).  She died unmarried.
     g) Suannnah Grogan (1812 - 1871) who married Vincent Scully of Mantle Hill, Tipperary, in 1841.  Both were buried at the Rock of Cashel.  An MP and barrister, Vincent Scully had been born in 1810 to Denys Scully and Catherine Eyre at Mantle Hill, Cashel.
     h) Rev. George William Grogan (1819 - 1926). He married Helen Isabel Hall Graham in 1856.

4)  Colonel George Grogan (1773 - 1846).  He married, first, Dorinda Smith, then Catherine Benson.

5)  Laurence Grogan, born 1775.  He was a captain with the 83rd Regiment and died childless.

6) Rev. William Grogan (1778 - 1854).  He lived at Slaney Park, Baltinglass, Wicklow, and was buried at Raheny.   His son, Edwin Grogan, married Isabella Courtenay in 1861;  his daughter, Elizabeth Jane Grogan, married William Courtenay, the brother of Isabella Courtenay.
7)  Jane Grogan (1780 - 1818) married Henry Blaquiere of Dublin.

8)  James Grogan died in infancy.

Notes on Sir Jonah Barrington and Catherine Grogan, the daughter of Edward Grogan and Jane Grierson:
Jonah Barrington had been born in Knapton House, Abbeyleix, Queen's County in 1757 to John Richard Barrington and Sibella French.   He studied at Trinity College, Dublin, was called to the Irish bar in 1788, and became MP for various constituencies. He became involved in intricate political manoeuvres and was gradually overwhelmed by debts, resulting in his disgrace and dismissal in 1830. After settling in France in 1815, he wrote 'The Rise and Fall of the Irish Nation'  and 'Personal Sketches of his own Time'.  He died in Paris on 8th April 1834.

Their children were:
a) Edward George Barrington (1795 - January 1844). A captain in the 5th Dragoons, he died in Jersey in 1844.  He married in Tuam Cathedral, Galway, Anna Blake, the third daughter of a Netterville-Blake of Berming House, Co. Galway, and grand-niece to Viscount Netterville.   Edward and Anna had a daughter, Catherine Sybella Barrington, who married Lewis Gabriel Sharkey, the son of Patrick Sharkey, on 8th September 1845 in St. George's, Dublin.  The bride's address was Richmond Place, and the witnesses were James Netterville-Blake and John Lynch.  This couple had a daughter, Sarah Jane Sharkey, in Great Brunswick Street on 27th July 1846.    Catherine Sibella Barrington married, secondly on 12 April 1852, William Alexander MacKenna.
b) Jane Catherine Barrington (died 1872).  In 1815, she married Thomas Grenier de Fonblanque, the Consul for Serbia.  Their daughter, Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier Fonblanque married, as his second wife, Kingsmill Pennefather of Knockinglass, Tipperary, in 1843.  Kingsmill was the second son of Rev. John Pennefather of Newport, Tipperary, whose oldest son, Edward Pennefather, was our immediate maternal ancestor.  The children of Thomas Grenier de Fonblanque and Jane Catherine Barrington were Jane Catherine Patricia de Fonblanque, died 6 May 1886, who married 4 October 1842 at St. Helier Parish, Jersey Bailiwick, Channel Islands, the Duchy of Normandy, Kingsmill Pennefather;  Adelaide Arabella de Fonblanque, born in 1827, died 1 August 1856 at Basedow, the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, who married 1 November 1849, Otto Karl von Schlippenbach und Skofde (Count of Schlippenbach and Skofde) (Chamberlain to His Imperial Majesty Wilhelm I., Kaiser of Germany and King of Prussia, etc.);   Caroline de Fonblanque, who married 19 September 1861 at St. Gabriel's Anglican Church, Warwick Square, St. Gabriel's Parish, Pimlico, Westminster City, Middlesex County, England, Richard Croker.
c)  Sibella Phoebe Barrington (1797 - 1841) who married, in 1815, Captain William Loftus Otway of Nenagh (1792 - 1859);  their son, William Loftus Otway, was born on October 23rd 1819 in Hounslow.  A second son, James Barrington Otway, was baptised in St. Matthew's, Irishtown, Dublin, on 4th October 1829, followed by Francis Thomas Otway on 24th April 1831,  Sybilla Phoebe Otway on 22nd December 1833.  On 16th October 1860, a daughter, Arabella Joanna Otway of 97 Stephen's Green, married the barrister, John Norwood of 11 Nelson Street.   Sibella Phoebe Barrington and Captain William Loftus Otway settled in Sandymount, Dublin, where some of their children died - William Otway, aged 4, died in January 1830;  Sybella Phoebe Otway, aged 5 months, died in January 1834;  William Loftus Otway, aged 21, died in July 1838;  Sybella Otway herself died, aged 44, in January 1841.  They were all buried in St. Matthews.
d) Patricia Barrington, who died in Naples on 23rd November 1843, and who married, in 1822, John Alexander Hunter (1828 - 1886).   They had a son, also John Alexander Hunter (1828 - 1886).   Patricia Barrington Hunter died young at some stage, and, in 1851, the widowed John Alexander Hunter, an ensign in the army, was living in Ham Commons, England, with two daughters, Henrietta Hunter, born circa 1828, and Mary Catherine, born circa 1831.
e)  Arabella Henrietta Barrington (1807 - 1884) who was the co-heir of her father, along with her younger sister, Margaret Barrington.  Arabella married, firstly in Dublin in 1828, Edward Hughes Lee.  She married, secondly, in the Anglican Church, Geneva, on 13th September 1837, Captain Vincent Frederick Kennett, who worked for the East India Company.   They had Patricia Barrington Kennett, born 1841 in Geneva, Isabella Barrington Kennett, born 1844 in Naples, and Vincent Barrington Kennett, born 1845.  In 1851 they were living in Ormsby Lodge, Ham Commons, where Arabella's brother-in-law, John Alexander Hunter also lived; in 1861, the census captured them in Hove, Sussex.  The couple's son, Sir Vincent Hunter Barrington Kennett (1844 - 1903) took the name of Barrington, and was granted the right to bear Barrington arms, as requested by his grandfather, Sir Jonah Barrington.  Sir Vincent Hunter Barrington-Kennett married Alicia Georgette Sandemann in 1878.
f) Margaret Barrington, who married Captain John Worthy of the East India Company on 16th June 1829 in the Chapel of the British Embassy in Paris.   They had Margaret Cassandra Worthy, born 1835 or 1836 in the British East Indies, who married in or about 1862 or 1863, William H. Woodman;  Arabella C. H. Worthy, born in or about 1837 or 1838 in the British East Indies;  Frederick Worthy, born in or about 1839 or 1840 at Chertsey Parish, Surrey County, England;  Elizabeth P. Worthy, born in or about 1843 or 1844 at Surrey County, England.

Sunday, 12 May 2013

The Ryan Family of Ballymackeogh, Newport, Tipperary

The Ryans of Ballymackeogh were the Tipperary neighbours of our maternal ancestors, the Pennefathers of Newport;  because they intermarried with both the Pennefathers and also with the Lysaght family of Mountnorth, I'm doing a post about them.
Although of an ancient Irish family, they were Protestant, which is only of importance in the sense that it makes it easier to distinguish them from other Tipperary Ryan families who were mostly Catholic.

The earliest known member of this Ryan family in Tipperary was William Ryan, whose son, Daniel, married Honor Ewer, the daughter of a Cromwellian soldier, Captain John Ewer, who had been granted land by Charles II in 1666.
Captain John Ewer was the son of John Ewer and nephew of Colonel Isaac Ewer, one of the regicides of Charles I, who was the brother-in-;aw of Cromwell's secretary of state, John Thurloe. Following the execution of the king, Isaac Ewer of the New Model Army accompanied Cromwell to Ireland where he took an active role in the infamous seige of Drogheda in 1649.  Ewer stayed in Ireland and participated in the capture of Kilkenny and Clonmel, dying of plague in Waterford in 1650 or 1651 where he was buried.  In February 1661, upon the restoration of Charles II, lands in Westmeath and King's County was forfeited to the king by reason of the treasons of Sir Hardress Waller, Isaac Ewer and John Nelson.
On 5th October 1666, Isaac Ewer's nephew, Captain John Ewer, was granted the lands of Ballymackeogh, Co. Tipperary, which had been seized following the 1641 rebellion, and which would pass into the ownership of the Ryan family when John's daughter, Honor Ewer, married Daniel Ryan.

(Other Ewers:
An abstracted will, dated 30th August 1732, held in the Registry of Deeds, Dublin, concerns the will of the Limerick widow, Ann Virgin, which names her cousins as Thomas Ewer of Clonmel, married to a second Ann Virgin, and his sister Anne Ewer.  
A later will of 1765 was made by another member of this family, Arthur Virgin, merchant of Carrick-on-Suir, who names his second cousin as William Ewer, the second son of Thomas Ewer of Clonmel, deceased attorney. William was the brother of Anne Ewer and of Garnet Ewer.

The religious census of 1766 lists some of the Protestants of Newport, Tipperary as John Ewer, William Ewer, Ewer Ryan and William Ryan.
William Ewer, born circa 1696, was of Clonbury or Clonsingle, Kilvellane, Tipperary, and married in 1719 in Cashel, Mary Phillips, daughter of Thomas Phillips. Their daughter was Elizabeth Ann Maria Ewer who married Simon Young of Brookfield, Kilbarron, Borrisokane, Tipperary.  A headstone in Kilvellane Parish graveyard was erected by Anna Maria Ewer for Charles Young who had died aged 19 on 13th April 1773.

Hannah Ewer made her will in 1755 at Bohercrow, Co. Tipperary.
Thomas Ewer made his will in 1764 in Clonmel.
William Ewer made his will in 1781 in Clounluenny, Co. Tipperary

A Thomas Ewer was Sheriff of Limerick in 1769.
A John Ewer died in John's Street, Limerick, in 1809, at a very great age.
A Miss Anne Ewer was also noted in John's Street, Limerick, in the same era.)

Daniel Ryan, who had married Honor Ewer, died in 1731, leaving the following children:
a) William Ryan.
b) Anthony.
c) George Ryan - a gentleman, George Ryan, was buried in Newport on 1st January 1757 (from St. John's parish register).
d) Elizabeth Ryan who married Edward Lee of Barna, Tipperary - Barna is immediately adjacent to Ballymackeogh and Newport, and the Lee family were prominent there.
e) Anne Ryan who married Edmond Griffin,
f) Mary.

On 27th September 1707 in Clare, William Ryan, gentleman, of Ballymackeogh, married Catherine Magie, alias Elmore, and the bondsmen were Daniel Ryan of Ballymackeogh and Francis Ryan of Co. Clare.   It's unclear which William Ryan this was - he was possibly the son and successor of Daniel Ryan and Honor Ewer, who later married, as his second wife, Elizabeth Newstead of Ballybough, Co. Tipperary.  Or possibly a completely unrelated Ryan!

In 1725, William Ryan, the son of Daniel Ryan and Honor Ewer, married Elizabeth Newsteed, the daughter of Richard Newstead of Ballybough, Tipperary.  She died in 1765.

Their children of William Ryan and Elizabeth Newsteed were:
1)Ewer Ryan who follows.
2) Richard Ryan.
3) William Ryan who married a Miss Bradshaw - he was possibly the William Ryan MD who is noted in the St. John's parish register, and who died aged 66 in 1805.  His wife was also noted and buried shortly after in Kilvolane on 23rd July 1805.   Their daughter was Miss Margaret Ryan who died aged 25 and buried in Kilvolane on 6th September 1794. This family lived at a place named something like 'Derelagh', although this was impossible to decipher correctly.
4) George Ryan, wine merchant of Limerick, who married Margaret Lysaght in 1767.
5) Anne who married possible relation of her grandmother, John Ewer,
6) Elizabeth who married Solomon Ledger Cambie of Castletown, Tipperary,

George Ryan, son of William Ryan and Elizabeth Newstead, was noted as a  wine merchant of Limerick, who married in 1767 Margaret Lysaght, the daughter of Charles Lysaght of Ballybreen, Co. Clare, and sister of Andrew Lysaght of Summerville, Kilfenora, and of John Lysaght of Brickhill.  This Lysaght family was related to the Pennefather family.

George Ryan of Limerick had a son, the solicitor Ewer Ryan, (named after George's older brother), who was called to the Irish bar in 1799 and was noted as the second son of George Ryan, merchant of Limerick.   Ewer Ryan, barrister-at-law, operated in Dublin and died there on 25th January 1849, aged 78 at Lower Fitzwilliam Street.
Mrs. Ryan, the wife of the merchant George Ryan of Limerick, was buried in Kilvolane on 24th March 1800.
Elizabeth Ryan, daughter of George Ryan of Limerick, was buried in Kilvolane on 9th January 1790.
'Saunders Newsletter' of 7th September 1805 announced the death of Miss Charlotte Ryan, daughter of the late George Ryan of Limerick, wine merchant.

Elizabeth Ryan, daughter of William Ryan and Elizabeth Newstead, married Solomon Ledger Cambie of Brookfield and Castletown, Tipperary in 1762. Solomon Cambie died in July 1792, and named, as the executors of his will, his widow, Elizabeth, and his sons, David and Edward Cambie (1768 - 1836). Solomon died owing money to George Ryan, who died in his turn on about 23rd April 1805, leaving as his executors his three sons, William Ryan, George Ryan and one other. Was this the George Ryan of Limerick who had married Margaret Lysaght, and who was therefore the brother-in-law of Solomon Cambie?   The executors of the late George Ryan issued a writ in 1827 against Charles Cambie who was the heir of Solomon Cambie, and who was tenant of Brookfield, Kilgarvin and Ballyscanlon, Co. Tipperary. Charles Cambie, I believe, was Solomon's grandson, who had come of age in 1821, his father, David Cambie having died in 1813 leaving a widow, Margaret Cambie.('Irish Equity Reports, Volume 2' of 1840.)

Ewer Ryan (1730 - 1802), of Port Ryan, then of Ballymackeogh, the oldest son of William Ryan and Elizabeth Newstead, married, in 1754, Elizabeth, the daughter of Richard McGrath of Lisduff, Tipperary.  Elizabeth McGrath was sister-in-law to the attorney Denis O'Brien.  She was also related to John Firman of Firmount whose eldest son was Pierson Firman.   Ewer Ryan of Port Ryan stood as the bondsman for the wedding in June 1762 of Ellenor Firman of Aronhill, Tipperary, and Richard Vandeleur of Loughrea, Co. Galway.

The children of Ewer Ryan and Elizabeth McGrath, who had married in 1754, were:

a) William Ryan. who follows and who married Anne Pennefather in 1814.
b) George Ryan - the St. John's parish register records the baptism on 26th March 1808 of a Charlotte Ryan, the daughter of George Ryan and Mary Woods (this name was slightly difficult to read and might be wrong).  Charlotte Ryan had been born on 24th May 1808.  The register also records the baptism of William Ryan, son of George Ryan of Ballymackeogh and of Nancy Good, on 17th June 1810 - he had been born on 7th June 1810.
c) John Ryan - he died in August 1785 and was buried in Kilvolane.
d) Anthony, who was perhaps the Anthony Ryan of Ballymackeogh who died there, aged 94, in July 1861, ie, he was born circa 1767.
e) Captain Richard Ryan and Major Rickard Ryan of the 93rd Regiment, who were most likely one and the same person.  In 1810 in the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa, Captain Richard Ryan, born 1776, of the 93rd Regiment, aged 34, married Maria Theresia Halloran, aged 24.  The 'Dublin Evening Post' of 27th August 1796 reported that Richard Ryan of Ballymackeogh had fought and won a duel against Captain Meade of Count Walshe's regiment of Irish Brigade.
f) Elizabeth Ryan - Elizabeth, daughter of Ewer Ryan was buried on 27th April 1797 (this from St. John's register, Newport).
g) Eleanor Ryan
h) Bridget Ryan - the register of St.John's, Newport, records the baptism on 25th (October?) 1758 of Bridget, the daughter of Ewer and Eliza Ryan, and also the marriage, on 11th July 1803, of Bridget Ryan with Patrick McGrath of Glencrow.
i) Eleanor or Ellen Eyan, daughter of Ewer Ryan and Elizabeth McGrath, married Beverly Smith of Rathcoursey, Co. Cork, in March 1786. The St. John's parish register notes that Mrs. Smith, wife of Beverly Smith of Port Ryan and daughter of Ewer Ryan, was buried in Kilvolane on 3rd March 1790.

William Ryan and Anne Pennefather of Ballymackeogh:
Ewer Ryan died in 1802 - the St. John's register records his burial in Kilvolane aged about 71 on 7th October 1802.    His wife, Elizabeth,  had been buried there on 20th July 1797.  He was succeeded at Ballymackeogh by his eldest son William Ryan.
The Tithe Books of 1832 showed up Ewer Ryan's son and heir, William Ryan, in Ballymackeogh, Kilvellane, Tipperary, along with a Denis Ryan and a Michael Ryan.   (The names 'Denis' and 'Michael' are generally Catholic names, so are probably not related.)

In 1814, Ewer's son and heir, William Ryan, married Anne Pennefather (born September 27th 1791 in Newport - Dec 10th 1863), the daughter of our immediate ancestor, Rev. John Pennefather and Mary Percival.  (We descend via Anne's half-brother, Edward Pennefather.)
The marriage settlement was dated 8th September 1814 and involved four separate parties. The first party was William Ryan, eldest son of Ewer Ryan;   the second party was Henry Lee of Barna,  Rev. William Lee,  Kingsmill Pennefather of Lacklands (ie: Newport), and Henry Vansittart of Bisham Abbey, England, all trustees;   the third party was David and Saul Baldwin of Stradbally, Queen's County, William Pennefather of Cork, and Westby Percival of the Royal Navy;   the fourth party comprised Rev. John Pennefather of Lacklands and his daughter Anne Pennefather.    Rev. John Pennefather paid £3000 to William Ryan accordingly.

Anne Ryan, née Pennefather, made her will 4th June 1852 at Lower Mount Street, Dublin, and the executrixes of her will were named as her three unmarried daughters, Clare, Mary Anne and Laura/Louisa Ryan.   The witnesses to her will were the solicitor, Joseph Lysaght Pennefather, who was her brother, and William Ryan.  Anne Pennefather, wife of William Ryan and daughter of Rev. John Pennefather, died at Ballymackeogh on 9th December 1863.

The children of William Ryan and Anne Pennefather were:

1) William Ryan (born 1st December 1815, died 13th February 1890) of Ballymackeogh who married Jane Grogan (1808 -1895) in 1842. See below.

2) John Ryan, solicitor;  in September 1843 in Monsktown Church, Co. Dublin,  John Ryan of Ballymackeogh and of Gloucester Street, Dublin, married his first cousin, Louisa Ricarda Pennefather (born 1821), who was the daughter of Kingsmill Pennefather and Frances Elizabeth Hall.
They lived in Dublin at 66 Lower Mount Street or at 56 Lower Mount Street, and also in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary.
On 22nd September 1859, Clare Elizabeth Emily Pennefather, the youngest daughter of the late Major Kingsmill Pennefather, died at the Nenagh residence of her brother-in-law, John Ryan.

Their children were William Ewer Ryan (born circa 1846), John Pennefather Ryan (born in Lower Mount Street on 6th March 1847), Frances-Elizabeth Ryan (born at Lower Mount Street on 31st May 1848) and Louisa Mary Ryan (born on 21st June 1851).

The oldest son, William Ewer Ryan, was both a solicitor and a cleric.  William Ewer Ryan, eldest son of John Ryan of Nenagh was called to the bar as a barrister in January 1873 aged 25.   In March 1873, William Ewer Ryan, AB., T.C.D., was ordained in St.Canice's, Kilkenny, for the curacy of Newtownbarry, Ferns Diocese.
In 1880, William Ewer Ryan, barrister, was living at 76 Blessington Street. Dublin, where Elizabeth Pennefather, spinster, died on 14th December 1875, her will being proved by William Ryan of Ballymackeogh.
 In 1891 William Ewer Ryan was resident as the Vicar of Pilton in  Devon, and was sharing the vicarage with his widowed mother, Louisa Ricarda Ryan, née Pennefather.  Next door to them in Orchard House was Townshend Monckton Hall, a widower who'd been born in Torquay in 1845 to an earlier Vicar of Pilton, Rev. William Craddock Hall who was the first cousin of William Ewer Ryan's mother.

John Pennefather Ryan (1847 - 1927), the son of John Ryan and Louisa Ricarda Pennefather, died in Brisbane, Australia. He had been born and educated in Dublin and attended the Royal College of Surgeons there.  He worked firstly in an English hospital and then as a doctor aboard an emigrant ship to Argentina, before emigrating to Australia in 1874 where he worked as a medical officer.

On 8th June 1877 in All Saint's, Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, John Pennefather Ryan married Jessie Gertrude, eldest daughter of Richard Bliss of Brisbane.  They had five children together - solicitor Guy Ryan, Cass Ryan of the New South Wales Bank, Gladys Ryan, Daphne Ryan and Doris Ryan.   Eldest son Guy Pennefather Ryan of 'Hobbs, Wilson and Ryan' solicitors, married Effie Hartley, youngest daughter of R.T. Hartley of Townsville, in April 1913.  Earlier, on 24th October 1905 in St. Peter's, Gympie, Queensland, Gladys Ryan married Captain Llwellyn Stephens of Cumbooqueba, Vulture Street, Brisbane, son the late Hon. T.B. Stephens, at one time Colonial Treasurer of Queensland, and younger brother of W. Stephens, former MLA for Brisbane.  Both brides, Gladys Ryan in 1905 and Effie Hartley in 1913 wore a veil of Limerick lace, a family heirloom which had been worn by Louisa Ricarda Pennefather when she married John Ryan in Dublin in 1843.  Gladys Ryan's bridesmaids were her two unmarried sisters, Daphne and Doris Ryan (later Mrs.A.Henderson and Mrs. R.P. Stumm), and also Kitty Parkinson, daughter of the prime minister. The bride's great-uncle was in attendance - Captain Fonblanque Pennefather (1848 - October 1922), the Comptroller General of Prisons in Queensland.

(Captain Charles Edward de Fonblanque Pennefather was the son of Kingsmill Pennefather and Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier de Fonblanque, who had married in St. Helier's in 1843. We descend directly from Kingsmill Pennefather's eldest brother, Edward Pennefather....

3) George Henry Ryan, a surgeon in the Royal Navy who died without issue.  On 1st January 1855, he was appointed surgeon to the 'Agamemnon'.  He died at Port Royal, Jamaica, on 17th July 1866 and was, at the time of his death,  surgeon of HMS Aboutir.

4) Robert Percival Ryan.

5) Elizabeth Ryan, who died aged 18 in March 1837.

6) Maryanne Ryan.

7) Edward Ryan.

8) Clare Ryan.  She made her will on 18th July 1890. The executor was her nephew, Charles Arthur Ryan;  the beneficiaries were her sisters, Mary Anne and Laura Ryan;  also mentioned was her grandniece and godchild, Anna Alice Drew who was the daughter of her niece, Anna Alicia,  and a second grandniece, Jeanette Louisa Clare Maunsell who was the daughter of her other niece, Jeanette Maunsell.

9) On February 2nd 1827, Lysaght Pennefather Ryan was baptised in Newport Parish by William Ryan of Ballymackeogh and Anne his wife. (This from the Newport Parish register.)

10) Laura Ryan, born circa 1838. Sometimes noted as Louisa Ryan, she was mentioned in both her mother's and her sister's wills.  In 1901 she was living with her nephew at Ballymackeogh, Charles Arthur Ryan.

William Ryan and Jane Grogan:
William Ryan, the oldest son of William Ryan and Anne Pennefather, was born on 1st December 1815, and married, on the 29th November 1842, Jane Grogan  (1808 -1895).
Jane Grogan of Harcourt Street, Dublin was the second daughter of John Grogan and the sister of Sir Edward Grogan.  The couple were married in the British Embassy in Paris on 24th November 1842, the ceremony being performed by Jane's brother, the Rev. Charles James Grogan of Harcourt Street and of Dunleckney, Carlow.  William Ryan was later nominated as the executor of this brother's 1887 will.

An obituary from the Limerick city archives noted the death in Leeson Street, Dublin, of Sarah, the widow of Anthony Dopping.  Sarah Dopping (1804 - 1870) was Jane Grogan's sister;  Anthony Dopping was of Colemolyn, Co. Meath, and predeceased his wife.

A census fragment for 7th April 1861 survived and noted several members of the family at Ballymackeogh, namely,  Jane Ryan and her three daughters, Anna, Elizabeth and Antoinette, along with an uncle, Anthony Ryan.  It was noted that William Ryan, Charles Ryan and Jeannette Ryan were absent and resident in Kingstown, Dublin.

The children of William Ryan and Jane Grogan were:

1) William Edward Ryan, born 24th March 1851 - a midshipman in the Royal Navy, he died, aged 18, on 1st March 1870.

2) Charles Arthur Ryan, born 7th November 1853, and died in Dublin in August 1929 - his wife was Mary, the daughter of Captain Henry Ormsby-Rose, who he married on 24th February 1903 in Dublin.   Captain Henry Ormsby-Rose of Merrion Square, Dublin, married Lucy Anne, eldest daughter of Henry Stuart Burton of Carrigaholt, Clare, in St. Anne's, Dublin, on 17th October 1863. A daughter was born to the Ormsby-Roses in Merrion Square on 18th March 1866; a second daughter was born on 20th July 1867 in Monkstown.  Captain Henry Ormsby-Rose of the Royal County Limerick Militia, died at Ryde, Isle of Wight, on 31st August 1870.

3) Anne Alicia Susanna Ryan. In January 1881, she married Ringrose Drew of Drewscourt, Co. Limerick, the son of Francis Drew and the Hon. Margaret Everina Massy.  The children of Anna Alicia Ryan and Ringrose Drew were Francis William Massy Drew, Ringrose Charles Wellington Drew, Alicia Jeannette Drew, and Anna Everina Margaret Drew.     Ringrose Drew died at Drewscourt on 23rd December 1895.

Ringrose Drew's parents married on 17th July 1833 in Dublin - Francis Drew was the only son of Ringrose Drew of Drewsborough, or Drewscourt, Scarriff, Co. Clare, and of Alicia Willington (daughter of John Willington), while the bride, Margaret Everina Massy was the 4th daughter of the late and sister to the present Lord Massy. ('Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courrier', 25th July 1833.)   Francis Drew's sisters were Alice Willington Drew who married Rev. Robert William Nisbett of O'Connelloe Glebe, Co.Clare, in July 1838 and Frances Drew who married Captain Tully in Killaloe in May 1836.  Oddly, the 'Dublin Evening Packet' of 4th January 1844 reported the marriage on 2nd January 1844 of Elizabeth, the youngest daughter of the late Ringrose Drew of Drewscourt to Kivas Tully CE, second son of Captain Tully RN.  Elizabeth died three years later and Kivas Tully, architect, emigrated to Canada.
Francis Drew and Margaret Everina Massy, whose son, Ringrose Drew married Anne Alicia Susanna Ryan in 1881, also had Captain Francis Massy Drew of the 7th Hussars who married in Paddington in June 1874, Mary, the eldest daughter of the late Anthony Wilkingson of Coxhoe Hall, Durham, and Margaret Everina Massy who married, on 7th December 1872, Charles Conyers of Castletown, Co. Limerick.

The daughter of Anne Alicia Susanna Ryan and Ringrose Drew, Alice Drew, married Robert Cordner Lucas in 1915 and had two children, Robin Franklin Kennedy Lucas and iris Jocelyn Everina Lucas.  Robert Cordner Lucas had been born in Tipperary in 1874 to Captain Henry Lucas and Letitia Jocelyn Kennedy.

Captain Henry Lucas, son of Benjamin Lucas of Mount Lucas, King's County, had married Letitia Jocelyn, daughter of Rev. James Kennedy, on 16th September 1852.  The ceremony took place in Abingdon Church, Limerick, and was performed by the Rector of Abingdon, Rev. James Kennedy, father of the bride.  At the same time, Rev. James Kennedy's niece, Letitia Longfield, only daughter of the late Major Edward Eustace Longfield, married Thomas Wallis Sargent, second son of Rev. Abraham Sargent, Vicar of Killardry.
Henry Lucas of Rockvale, Newport, Co. Tipperary, died on 20th December 1892; his widow, Letitia, on 30th May 1813.  As well as Robert Cordner Lucas, the couple had Eleanor Goodwin, Robert Lucas, Elizabeth Lucas, and Emily Lucas.

4) Elizabeth Ryan  who died, aged 16, on 1st September 1864.

5) Jeannette Ryan - Jeanette Ryan (1856  - 1933) married Edward Herbert Maunsell on 10th August 1886.  From the online 'Dictionary of Canadian Biography':  Edward Herbert Maunsell was born on 14th October 1855 in Ballywilliam, Co. Limerick, to Frederick Maunsell and Louise Herbert of Finneterstown, Adare, Co. Limerick. The Maunsell family were a prominent Limerick family, best-known for the establishment of Maunsell's Bank in the city.   Jeanette Ryan's husband, Edward Herbert Maunsell, had emigrated to Canada in 1874 where he joined the North Western Mounted Police.  He returned briefly to Ireland before returning to MacLeod, Alberta, where he took up ranching with two of his brothers, George Wyndham Maunsell and Henry Frederick/Harry Maunsell, a business which, despite early difficulties, eventually thrived.  At the height of its success in 1910, the Maunsell ranch owned 15,000 head of cattle and would regularly transport entire trainloads to the Chicago market.  
Edward Herbert Maunsell and Jeanette Ryan had two daughters and a son, Frederick William Edward Maunsell, who was killed in France in 1917.  Daughter Jeannette/Ivy Maunsell married Edward Buckwell;  daughter Antoinette Maunsell never married.

Edward Herbert Maunsell died in Fort MacLeod on 11th November 1923; his widow, Jeanette, née Ryan, died there in 1933.

6) Antoinette Jane Ryan, born circa 1856, she died on 4th June 1903 at 67 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin.  Previously, in 1901, she was living with her older brother, Charles Arthur Ryan, at Ballymackeogh, along with her paternal aunt, Laura Ryan.

Thursday, 9 May 2013

General Sir John Lysaght Pennefather and Margaret Carr

General Sir John Lysaght Pennefather was born on September 9th 1798, the third son of the Rev. John Pennefather and Elizabeth Percival. We descend directly from his half-brother, Edward Pennefather, who had been born earlier to the Rev. John Pennefather and his first unnamed wife.  Our Edward Pennefather named his oldest son, our great-great-great grandfather, John Lysaght Pennefather, after his half-brother.
I've already done a brief post about Sir John Lysaght Pennefather's military career, so this post focuses on his family.

The wife of General Sir John Lysaght Pennefather was Katherine Margaret Carr/Margaret Carr (1803 - 1880) , the eldest daughter of John Carr and Susannah Senior of Mountrath, Queen's County.  Margaret had previously been married to William Bartley of Monaghan.

Her father, John Carr, lived in Mountrath, Laois/Queen's County. The 'Dublin Evening Post' of 11th April 1797 noted that John Carr of Mount Rath was searching for a distiller.  'Saunders Newsletter' of 9th December 1805 published a letter of thanks from John Carr of Mountrath to the Globe Insurance Company for making good his losses following a fire in his corn stores, a mere three days after taking out the policy. The following year the 'Saunders' edition of 8th December 1806 advertised a sale at the Excise Office of 12,000 gallons of seized spirits, distilled by John Carr of Mountrath, under seizure for non-payment of excise.  He was finally declared bankrupt in August 1811, and emigrated to Canada.
The 'Dublin Evening Post' of 16th February 1822, the 'Emigrants' Guide to Canada' was recommended by, amongst others, John Carr of Mountrath, now resident in Canada.

The Tithe Applotment books of 1829 only show up a Michael Carr and an Edward Carr living in Lower Mountrath in the parish of Clonenagh and Clonagheen.  Later, in 1851, Griffiths Valuation showed up Michael Carr leasing three acres from the landowner, Sir Charles H. Coote.   An 1814 lease noted the names of James Morton, Thomas Morton, George Morton and Charles Henry Coote in relation to property at Little Island, Clonmel and Mountrath. Also in Coote Street, Mountrath town, Dysartbeagh, was a William Senior leasing a house from a James Lawless.  In the same townland of Dysartbeagh, a Rev. James Moreton owned 26 acres.
This Rev. James Moreton or Morton was of the same family of the Mortons of Little Island, Clonmel, Tipperary, who were related to the Carrs.
Rev. James Morton of Little Island, Clonmel, married Caroline Esther Duddell, the daughter of Richard Duddell and niece of the late Rev. John Duddell, in Limerick Cathedral in July 1842. Their eldest son was Samuel James Morton of Corolanty House, King's County, a captain in the 6th Carabineers, who died on 22nd October 1860.  The Mortons of Clonmel were related to the Tuckey family of Cork - Samuel Morton Tuckey who died on 21st October 1864 was the eldest son of Rev. Thomas Tuckey of Clonmel, who was the son of Rev. Charles Tuckey - Thomas Tuckey was married to Margaret Norton, daughter of Samuel Morton of Clonmel.   The Tuckey name was reused by the Carrs in London;  perhaps their late mother, Susanna, was a member of the Tuckey family.

John Carr (and perhaps his wife Susannah) had left for Canada by 1822, and their children were taken under the wing of their uncle, a Morton of Little Island, Clonmel, Tipperary.

Richard Carr, Margaret's brother, was sent to London and entered a finance house there.   Margaret's sister, Ellen, who had been born circa 1806 in Ireland, married her first cousin, William Carr, a damask merchant. The son of William and Ellen Carr, Henry Tuckey Carr, was born 20th April 1826, at Gt. George's Street, St. Pancras;  a daughter, Margaret Carr, was born circa 1827.  In 1841, the family were living in Camden Cottages, Kentish Town;  Susan Bartley, aged 15, who was the daughter of Margaret Carr and William Bartley, was visiting them on the night of the census.

 On 18th May 1841, in St. Pancras Church, the Rev. G. Lawless AM, preacher of Cashel Cathedral, married Susan Ellen, the eldest daughter of William Carr of Camden Cottages. ('Dublin Morning Register' of 15th May 1841.)

By 1851 they were living in New Barn's House, Ely, Cambridgeshire, although William Carr was away on business, staying in a boarding house in Halifax, Yorkshire.  Their son, Henry Tuckey Carr, a warehouseman, married Hannah Barber Cheetham on September 14th 1864, in St. John's, Manchester. Hannah was the daughter of Joseph Cheetham, also a warehouseman.  Henry and Hannah Carr settled in Hulme, Lancashire.

Margaret Carr's first husband, William Bartley, had been born in about 1799 in Lossit,  Co.Monaghan to the surgeon, George Bartley and his wife, Christina Metge.  George Bartley (1753 - 1800) had been the surgeon of the Monaghan Infirmiary for 50 years.
The children of George and Christina Bartley were Jessie 1785 - 1876 who lived in Dublin, John Metge Bartley 1787 - 1881 who married Jane Cowell, Major General Sir Robert Bartley 1789 - 1843,  George who died in 1861, William who married Margaret Carr, and Christina Bartley.

William Bartley was with the 22nd Regiment of Foot, as was John Lysaght Pennefather.  William Bartley married Katherine Margaret Carr in about 1824, and the couple had two daughters before William died and was buried in 1828 in Jamaica.
Susan Bartley was born in Jamaica in about 1825, while her younger sister, Margaret Ann, was born on April 23rd 1827, and was baptised at home in St. Pancras,  London, on 19th June 1827.  The family were living on Georges Street at the time, the same street where Margaret Bartley's sister, Ellen Carr, was living at this time with her husband William Carr.

At the time of his death in Jamaica in 1828, William Bartley was the paymaster of the 22nd Regiment.  John Lysaght Pennefather escorted his widow and daughter back to London, and the couple were married on December 9th 1830 in St. Pancras Parish Church. The witnesses were Margaret's brother, Richard Carr, her sister, Ellen Carr, and Ellen's husband who was also the sisters' first cousin, William Carr.

Following their marriage, John Lysaght Pennefather adopted his step-daughter, Susan Bartley Pennefather, and contact with the Bartley family was lost.   Margaret accompanied her husband abroad to India, and Susan was sent to boarding school in France, spending holidays at home with her Carr cousins in Camden.

Susan Bartley Pennefather (1825 - 1866) married the Canadian, John Hamilton Gray (1811 - 1887) who was the Premier of Lord Edward Island.  John had been an officer in the British Army for 21 years;  at the outbreak of the Crimean War in 1854, his father-in-law, Sir John Lysaght Pennefather, took the recently retired John Hamilton Gray on as a staff assistant. Following the war, he returned to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, where he lived at Inkerman House, which had been named after John Lysaght Pennefather's victory during the Battle of Inkerman.
John Hamilton Gray and Susan Bartley Pennefather had five daughters together following their wedding in India.  Harriet Worrall Gray was born on a troop ship on the Red Sea, Margaret Bartley was born in South Africa, Florence Bartley in England, Mary and Bertha were both born in Prince Edward Island.
Susan Bartley Pennefather died in Charlottetown in 1864.

In 1861, John and Margaret Pennefather were living in Seale, Surrey, where John was the commander of Aldershot Camp.   Their granddaughter, a favourite of Margaret's, was with them on the census.  This was Harriet Worrell Gray, who had been born in 1843 - 'at sea' -  to Susan Bartley Pennefather and John Hamilton Gray.
In 1871, John and Margaret Pennefather were living in the Chelsea Hospital where John was the governor.  Again,  Harriet Worrell Gray, was with them, as was a Canadian-born niece, Caroline Riddell, who had been born circa 1849.  (Another of our elderly relations was living in the Chelsea Hospital in 1871 - Frederick Courtenay of Dublin was the retired father-in-law of our great-great-great grandfather, John Pennefather of Dublin.)
Cousin Caroline Riddell was one of Harriet's bridesmaids when she married Rev. Henry Pelham Stokes, the son of the cleric George Stokes,  on 15th January 1880, at St. Peter's, Cranley Gardens, Chelsea.  Harriet's address at the time was 8 Cranley Place, the home of her grandmother, Margaret Pennefather.  Her father was noted as John Hamilton Gray, C.M.G., Colonel in the 7th Dragoon Guards.  Other bridesmaids were cousins, E.L. Mackay, Florence Moreton and Harriet Hamilton.

Harriet's step-grandfather, General Sir John Lysaght Pennefather died on 9th May 1872 and was buried in Brompton Cemetery.
Her grandmother, Lady Margaret Pennefather, died at Cranley Place, Onslow Square, on 7th February 1880, and her will was proved by Harriet Worrall Stokes, wife of Henry Pelham Stokes.   Harriet died two years after her maternal grandmother on 13th January 1882 at 5 Coleshill Street, Eaton Square, and was buried alongside her grandparents in Brompton Cemetery.  Her husband, Henry Pelham Stokes of Wareham Parish, Dorset, proved her will.