Search This Blog

Friday, 30 December 2011

Bertie Stewart and Nessie Wilson

This post concerns information gleaned from a conversation with my father, Paul Cuthbert Stewart, about his parents and, as such, is more family gossip than research.  I'll add in further info as I find it....

My father's parents were Cuthbert Stewart, always known as Bertie, and Agnes Keating Wilson, always known as Nessie.

Cuthbert Stewart was born  born on 1st June 1909 to the bookkeeper Robert Stewart and his wife, Rebecca Cuthbert, of 10 Edenvale Road.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/07/children-of-joseph-stewart-and.html

Nessie was born 23rd November 1905 in Belfast to the grocer, Edward Leviolett Wilson and Agnes Jane Anderson.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/09/edward-wilson-and-elizabeth-hynds.html

Bertie Stewart
The Wilson Family 1924.  Left to right: Doreen, Vera, Ernest,  Edward Leviolett Wilson,  Edward, Edna, Agnes Jane Anderson, Ronald, Nessie and Kay.  The photo was kindly sent to me by Edward's son, Stuart Wilson.


Nessie and Paul

Bertie was a member of the St.Patrick’s Cathedral choir and was therefore educated free of charge at St.Patrick’s Cathedral Grammar School which was adjacent to St.Patrick’s.
His first job on leaving school was with the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company which later merged with the Hibernian Insurance Company.
He later joined the Goodyear Tyre and Rubber Company, rising through the company to become the manager of the Belfast branch where he met his wife, Nessie.  They married there in 1934.
Nessie had always wanted to live in the country so they took a house on the Ards Peninsula - Rose Cottage in Killyvolgan.  Our father, Paul, was born on 18th June 1935 in Nurse Smith’s Nursing Home on My Lady’s Road close to her parents’ home on the Ravenhill Road.  His younger brother, Anthony, was born 19th March 1937 at his grandparents’ house, 316 Ravenhill Road.

When war broke out in 1939, Goodyear gave Bertie the choice of either returning to Dublin or joining up and remaining on full pay, so he chose the latter, and joined the RAF ground staff, rising to the rank of flight lieutenant.  (Later in Galway, Bertie was friends with a German man named Helmut who had been a member of the Luftwaffe during the war;  they used to joke that if they’d met in the air over Britain, they would have landed in a field and gone off for a drink together. Bertie had, presumably, neglected to mention that he had been ground staff....)
He was posted to a variety of places - my father recalls living at 9 Greenmore Gardens in Aberdeen and also Heston, Middlesex, where Nessie and the two boys lived with Nessie’s sister, Doreen and her husband Bob.  It was here that Bertie ‘borrowed’ an army jeep to return home for the day on leave;  sadly, the same night, a VI doodlebug landed directly across the street from them, hitting a tree and causing terrible damage to all the houses on the road.  Anthony, who was in the kitchen at the time, was hit on the head by a falling shelf while all the slates from the house landed on the army jeep parked in the driveway. Apparently Bertie rushed from the damaged house to check first on the ‘borrowed’ jeep, which he knew would have to returned in perfect order, before running back into the house to check on all the family.

Bertie and a colleague
                             
Following this bombing, Nessie and the boys returned to Belfast to live with her parents on the Ravenhill Road;  during the Belfast Blitz, however, the family’s grocery shop on the Albertbridge Road was destroyed by another German bomb, prompting Edward Leviolett Wilson’s retirement.

Paul and Anthony with their grandparents in Belfast; Bertie and Nessie are flanked by  Nessie's sisters,  Kay to her left, and Edna next to Bertie.

At the end of the war, Bertie and Nessie moved south to Dublin, (Goodyear transferred Bertie there in 1946) where the terrible shortage of housing led to them renting a small house named Woodview, in Blanchardstown.  Their landlady was Mrs.Bradshaw of Bonnybrook who became Nessie’s best friend - despite their closeness (they met for a chat every day) they would always refer to each other as ‘Mrs. Stewart’ and ‘Mrs.Bradshaw’.  Another of their close friends was a Mrs.Commiskey who was the wife of the headmaster at Morgan’s School where Paul and Anthony would be educated. One of the teachers there, a Mr.McCormick would later help Anthony and Paul cycle home with one of the school’s old goal posts which Nessie wanted to use as a pole to hang a washing line from, there being a serious shortage of building materials after the war. Anthony couldn’t resist weaving backwards and forwards across the road, causing the schoolmaster up ahead to go flying off his bike into the ditch; the boys loved that.

My Dad at Woodview, Blanchardstown 
On June 13th 1957, the Irish Times published a piece about the new Dublin premises of the Goodyear Tyre and Rubber Company which were opened on the previous day at Hanover Street East by Count Cyril McCormack, who had recently been elected president of the Society of Irish Motor Traders.  Mr. Cuthbert Stewart, Irish divisional manager, told reporters that the new building would mean quicker and more satisfactory supply of the firm's goods.  Bertie's sister, Vera, who had married the Irish tenor, Robert Irwin, was a good friend of Cyril McCormack's father, Count John McCormack, and I wonder did Bertie invite Cyril to the opening of the new premises?  Vera and Robert Irwin lived close to the McCormacks in Knightsbridge, London, in the 1940s - Vera and Robert once received an impromptu invitation to dinner at the McCormacks', so Vera, who was busy getting their own dinner ready, dropped everything and rushed round immediately to the Count's apartment, only to discover that the only thing on the menu that night was champagne.

In 1958, Nessie’s best friend, Mrs.Bradshaw moved to Cornelscourt, south Dublin, so the Stewarts followed.  The Bradshaws bought Cornelscourt House and rented a house along the same road to the Stewarts.  They called their new home ‘Croom’ after Nessie’s parents’ home ‘Knockcroom’ on the Ravenhill Road in Belfast.  (My parents would later rent the same house until they bought one of their own in Deansgrange.)
Nessie and Bertie’s younger son, Anthony, stayed in Blanchardstown with his young wife, Vera Walters, and moved into the old family home, Woodview.

We have an old newspaper cutting about Bertie’s time with Goodyear:   ‘Received Long-Service Award - Mr.C. (Bertie) Stewart, divisional manager of the Goodyear Tyre and Rubber Company’s Irish sales division, had completed 30 year’s service with the company. He received the long-service award from the firm’s managing director Mr. M.S.Meyer, at the headquarters in Wolverhampton.  A native of Dublin, Mr.Stewart joined Goodyear in the service department and worked in Glasgow until June 1931, when he was transferred to Belfast as office manager. He moved to Dublin in 1935 as an adjuster, and in October 1937, he joined the company’s sales organisation in London. He was promoted to his present position in June 1957.’

Bertie was always involved one way or another with cars - he loved rallying, taking part in the Circuit Ireland Car Rally many times. This love of cars was shared by both of his sons.

In 1960, Bertie and Nessie bought themselves an old cottage by the sea - Garryowen Cottage - in Moyard, Connemara, which had been owned by an elderly couple, Colonel Sandford and his wife, who had retired there from India along with copious stuffed animal heads which they hung on the walls. All I really know about the Sandfords was that the wife had elephantiasis.

Nessie died of aural encephalitis on 26th March 1965 in St. Laurence's Hospital, having been ill for several months. She was a kind woman who was incredibly close to her sisters, Doreen, Kay and Edna.
Her unexpected death was a terrible shock to her family.

Irish Times:  'Stewart - March 26 1965, at St. Laurence's Hospital, Agnes (Nessie) Keating, beloved wife of Cuthbert, and devoted mother of Paul and Anthony, Foxrock, Dublin. Funeral on Monday next, after 10 o'clock service in Kill-o'-the-Grange Parish Church, to Dean's Grange Cemetery. House private.'

Bertie, who was by then the divisional manager of Goodyear in Dublin, was moved to England by the company following his wife’s death in 1965;  he once again moved in with his sister-in-law, Doreen and her husband Bob, in Weybridge.  Bertie, however, missed the fun of Dublin pub life, and moved back home to Dublin a year later.
He at first divided his time between the house in Cornelscourt, and the cottage in Galway, but eventually retired west to Connemara where he would spent the rest of his life.  He would spend the winters with us in Deansgrange, or with his sister, Vera Irwin, in Winnipeg.
Bertie died in Clifden Hospital, Co.Galway, on 30th March 1977, having already spent some time in Merlin Hospital, Galway City, and Baggot St.Hospital in Dublin.

Bertie and Nessie in Sweeney's,  Claddaduff, Galway, with Paul and Nessie's brother, Ernest Wilson


Bertie with my late brother, Raymond Stewart, in the garden of the cottage in Moyard, circa  1964





Saturday, 10 December 2011

The La Vallade family of Fontenay

Pierre de La Vallade was the Protestant pastor of the Reformed Church in Fontenay-le-Comte from 1603 until his death in 1633.  He might be a relation of our ancestor, Charles Lavalade of Lisburn but this is, as yet, inconclusive.  The fact that Pierre de La Vallade was not a nobleman makes it unlikely that Charles Lavalade was a close relative.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/08/more-on-pierre-and-bertrand-de-la.html

Pierre de La Vallade came from the Languedoc and was a protestant pastor in Bergerac. On the 14th September 1603, the Protestants of Fontenay, on the advice of the lawyer, Hilaire Vernede, dispatched Pierre Béreau of la Marchetiere, and Dr.Francois Miziere, to ask him to take over the duties of minister at Fontenay, which request Pierre accepted in 1603.
    In 1607, the Third Synod of Rochelle stated that...'Monsieur de la Vallade is confirmed in his ministry unto the Church of Fontinay, unto which he was formerly presented, nor shall the Province of Guyenne or Bergerac claim any right to recall him;  and this Decree passed without any opposition from the Deputies of the said Church and Province,  who declared they had no Commission to redemand him. So that all Agreements and Covenants betwixt the said Vallade and his Father and the said church are ratified and become perpetual. However, this Assembly doth not approve of that form in which they be drawn up, especially with reference unto the Moneys, which they pretend to have furnished him and in case the Church of Bergerac should demand him, the Provincial Synod of Xaintonge is impowered with Authority to determine finally of him, and all matters between him and them.'
(From 'Syndicon in Gallia Reformata' by John Quick, Minister of the Gospel in London, 1692.)

Benjamin Fillon, who wrote several texts on the history of Fontenay,  maintained that Pierre de La Vallade was related to Bertrand de La Vallade, advisor to the King of Navarre, and whose family had followed the Kings of Navarre to their seat in Nerac.
In the ‘Revue, Scientifique et Literaire - 1875’ the writer of ‘Controverses Religieuses - De La Vallade’ added a paragraph to the bottom of the page:
   ‘This family had come to Poitou following the Princes of Navarre and Condé. One can see a Jean de la Vallade, commissioned by the princes to receive the funds resulting from the sale of the ecclesiastical institutions of Lucon and Maillezais….this Jean de la Vallade was perhaps the father of the pastor (ie:Pierre de la Vallade), and was certainly related to Bertrand de la Vallade.’

Pierre de la Vallade published a number of texts which virulently attacked the local Catholic clerics, including Cardinal Richelieu who was the bishop of Lucon at that time; this book was placed on the Index by the Catholic church. In 1620, at a debate between the Catholic clerics and Pierre de la Vallade in Fontenay,  La Vallade worked his supporters up to such a degree that a riot ensued; luckily no one died as a result.
In 1626, Pierre de La Vallade represented Fontenay at the National Synod of the Reformed Church at Castres.    It was decided that 'the hand of God having weighed down Vallade, while he was visiting the town of Castres',  a quarter of the sum of ten thousand livres, which had been donated to the assemble by the Province of Anjou,  would be paid to Mr.Vallade to help him in his illness. The sum donated was not to be entered into the accounts books, and M.Couper was ordered to advance the money to him. (This info from 'Tous Les Synodes Nationaux Des Églises Réformées de France, Vol. 2')

In 1608, Pierre de La Vallade married Louise Billaud, the daughter of Pierre Billaud, of Moulin Billaud, and Francoise Delespée.
The couple had four children - an unnamed child, Renée, Elisée, and Jean.

The Children of Pierre de La Vallade:
Jean de La Vallade of La Merlaudiere who was a lawyer in parliament, and an elder of the church in Fontenay from 1657 - 1663, and who attended the Synod of Chatellerault in 1663.  In 1681 he was living on the outskirts of Fontenay at St.Germain de Princay. Jean died at some time between 1681 and 1684; it is known that the descendants of Pierre de La Vallade suffered much at the time of the revocation.
Jean married Marie Thubin on 22 September 1646. Marie had been born circa 1618 to Charles Thubin of Chandoré, near Xanton outside of Fontenay, and to Marie de Vernede. Charles Thubin was a parliamentary lawyer like his son-in-law.
Jean de La Vallade’s  wife, Marie, died on 30th June 1684 aged 66.

Elisee de La Vallade, esquire, married Marie Genays, and had an unnamed child  who was baptised on 9th June 1647 and whose godparents were named as the nobleman Isaac Gaudin and Miss Marie LeBloy.
From an official list of people who were condemned as false nobles in 1668 and 1670, we see Elisée de la Vallade and Jean de la Vallade, both of Xanton, and both of them declared to be common peasants. (Roturiers.) Elisée was fined 500 livres, as was his brother’s father-in-law, Pierre Billaud, the lord of Moulin Billaud.    Élisée de La Vallade had bought an office - the office of maitre d'hotel du Roi - which brought with it the temporary status of noble;  following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, he had probably been excluded from the post because of his religion and had, therefore, lost his noble status as a result.

Jean and Elisée’s sister, Renée de La Vallade, was noted as a godmother to her nephew, Jean, in 1649; nothing is known of the fourth sibling.

The Children of Jean de La Vallade and Marie Thubin:
Jean was born 25th December 1648 and was baptised 24th February 1649 at Fontenay; his godparents were Elie Thubin of Hauteroche and his aunt Renée de La Vallade.

Louise de La Vallade, baptised 6th February 1656; the godparents were Jacques Easmes, esquire, of Lugre, and Miss Marie de Congnac, the wife of Philippe Agroué of La Tourteliere.   Louise de La Vallade married the Catholic, Claude Lamoys, sieur de La Grange, on 12th November 1687. Claude Lemoys had been born in about 1653 and died at Pissotte on 22nd May 1692 aged 38. He was the son of Claude Lemoys and Catherine Berland.

Louise de La Vallade, who stayed in France despite the dangers, at the time of the revocation, was close to the Genays family, and the suffering of this part of the family was documented in ‘Histoire des Protestants et des Eglises Reformées du Poitou’ by A.F. Lievre:
Elie Genays du Chail had earlier converted to Catholicism in order to win the hand in marriage of a wealthy heiress, Marie Cardin.  He convinced his wife to secretly convert and to rear their children in the Protestant faith. He fell gravely ill in 1673, however, and, wishing to clear his conscience, he declared his faith to both the president of Fontenay and to the local minister, who was duly arrested and thrown in jail in Poitiers for four months. Genays du Chail himself was put under house arrest, and,as he was dying, was contantly persecuted by the monks, the authorities and his own Catholic mother-in-law,  who were desperate to bring about his final conversion. He died having declared before two public notaries that he wished to be buried in the Protestant cemetery.  The authorities forbid his family to bury him in either a Protestant or a Catholic cemetery; his widow, who was secretly attending communion in La Rochelle from time to time, was allowed to rear their children herself, provided she promised to raise them in the Catholic faith. This she refused to do, and, having been disinherited by her wealthy mother, and having risked losing her children to the Jesuits who threatened to take them from her, she managed to escape to England in 1681 with five of them. The oldest son, Michel-Élie Genays, stayed behind to try and rescue his inheritance, but was thrown into the Bastille in 1711.
Two of the Genay children returned to France a few years later - Jacques-Venant and his sister, Francoise Genays who married the sieur de la Guimeniere, but she was deported again, under pain of death, in 1688. Her property was confiscated and given to the Genay family of Gourdeau, and to her niece, Louise de La Vallade who lived at Pissotte. It was thought that Louise had converted to Catholicism, but police reports suggest that she had done no such thing.

The oldest daughter of Jean de la Vallade and Marie Thubin was Suzanne de la Vallade who was born on 22nd December 1646 and was baptised on 26th February 1647 at Fontenay. Her godparents were Etienne Thubin and Suzanne Charrieu.  Suzanne de la Vallade married Louis de Gorron, esquire, of La Maison Rouge and of Thénies (at La Chapelle Saint-Laurent);  in 1667, they were living at Saint-Germain de Princay. 

Suzanne de la Vallade and her husband, Louis Gorron de la Thénies, appear in many records.
In ‘Inventaire analytique des archives du château de La Barre, Volume 1’ by Alfred Richard,  Suzanne de la Vallade is mentioned as one of the witnesses to the marriage contract of Louis-Charles Gourjault and one of the Thubin family, Suzanne des Moullins:
   ‘Louis-Charles Gourjault, chev., sgr de La Grangerie, Cls de Pierre Gourjault, chev., sgr du May, avec Suzanne des Moulins, iille de Daniel des Moullins, sgr de La Tour, et de Françoise Thubin; le futur, de l'avis d'Anne Gourjault, dame de La Maisonrouge, sa tante, de Lucien Gorron, chev., sgr de Thorcy, d'Auguste et de Marc-Antoine de Gorron, ses cousins-germains, et la future de l'avis de Jacques-Charles des Moullins, éc, son frère, de mss. Le Francq, chev., sgr du Plessis, de Philippe Le Francq, chev., sgr des Martinières, ses cousinsgermains , d'Etienne Thubin de Chandoué, chev., sgr de La Bionnière, et de Suzanne de La Vallade, sa cousine-germaine; par suite de ce contrat ladite Gourjault reçoit pour dot sa part de La Guarangerie, la métairie de Darlay,une cabane dans l'île de Maillé, des salines dans l'île de Ré, une borderie à La Lande, etc ; — la copie des lettres de bénéfice d'âge accordées en 1721 à Perside, âgée de 21 ans, et à Charles-Honoré Gourjault, âgé de 18 ans, et la séparation 'de corps et de biens de Suzanne Gourjault, d'avec Jacques Richier-Garnier, son mari.’

Louis de Gorron de la Thénies was the son of Louis Gorron, esquire, who died in 1667. Both Louis and his widowed mother had their noble status confirmed by the local official, Monsieur Barentin, at this time.  Louis was given the ‘chatellerie’ of la Thénie by Jacques de Gourjault, and the name ‘Thénies’ or ‘Thénie’ would later be used as his surname instead of ‘Gorron’.

Louis de Gorron de Thénies joined the army of William of Orange and served in Col. Cambon’s Regiment of Foot.  The records in London mention him many times:

'Passes and post warrant for Nicholas Domerling to go to Harwich and Holland; for George Carne, ditto; for Matthew Weddell, ditto [S.P. Dom. Warrant Book 37, p. 122]; for Peter Maurin and John his son, ditto; for Capt. la Cherois and Capt. Thenie, ditto; for Stephen Howell, ditto [Ibid., p. 123]; and for Peter Lombart, ditto [Ibid., p. 123]; for Mr Joseph Anthony, Mr. Lawrence Southey, and Samuel Hopping, a servant, to go to Holland; and for Catherine Cumberford and her two children to go to Flanders [Ibid. 38, p. 331].' (Aug 12 1693. Calendars State Papers.)
‘Sept. 25.1693.
Whitehall.Commissions for Gabriel Brocas de la Motte, gentleman, to be lieutenant of the company whereof Capt. Lewis de Garron de Thenie is captain in the regiment of foot lately commanded by BrigadierGeneral Francis du Cambon; for Francis Gilbert de la Motte, gentleman, to be ensign to Capt. Daniel de Virasel in the same regiment [H.O. Military Entry Book 2, p. 385.’


'Nov. 25.1693 (State Papers W & M)
Whitehall.Commissions for Francis Joly de Ternac, gent., to be ensign to Capt. Jeremiah Bancon in the regiment of foot commanded by William Frederick Count de Marlou; and for James de Crosat, gent., to be ensign to Capt. Lewis de Thenie, in the same regiment. [H.O. Military Entry Book 3, p. 137.]'

His name appears in ‘English Army Lists and Commission Registers, 1661-1714, Vol 3.’
Lewis de Garron de Thenie, to be Capt. Vice de Feron.in Col.Cambon’s Regt. Of Foot.
Footnote stated that Thenie was out of the regiment in Nov. 1693.
A later entry from 1693 states that Gabriel Brocas de la Motte was to be lieutenant to Thenie and that Thenie would be vice.captain to Thos..St. Leger de Bacalan.
Capt. De la Cherroy (Cherois) was also named in the regiment.

 It is interesting to see Louis de Gorron de la Thénie travelling from London to Holland in the company of Daniel de la Cherois in 1693.  In 1699, Daniel de la Cherois married into the Crommelin family when he wed Marie-Angelique Crommelin in the French Church of Swallow Street in London; Marie-Angelique was the daughter of Marie-Angelique Crommelin, who was herself the daughter of Abraham Crommelin of Saint Quentin and Marie Boileau of Paris.
Daniel de la Cherois served alongside Louis de Gorron de la Thénies in Colonel Cambon’s Regiment of Foot;  his brothers, Nicholas and Bourjonval, served with him.
In 1689, William, Prince of Orange, being called to the throne of Great Britain, formed two regiments of the French Huguenots, of which Nicholas de la Cherois was appointed major, Daniel captain, and Bourjonval lieutenant. Bourjonval was killed in the war, but both Nicholas and Daniel later settled in Lisburn.
Of course, this Crommelin connection is interesting, since the sister of the Lisburn pastor, Charles Lavalade, Madeleine, had also married into the same family when she married Alexander Crommelin, and had moved likewise to Lisburn.

I also came across Louis de Gorron de la Thénie’s name in the snippets of a Dutch book - in Dutch - called ‘Nederlands archief voor kerkgeschiedenis Volumes 57-58’ which details the archives of the church in the Netherlands from this time; a date of 1692 appears in one snippet.  The name of Louis de Gorron de la Thénie appears along with other French names -the noble Louis Lévesque de la Boisliniere, Jean Valat, Louis Rigaud and a Francois Hélies who had represented Fontenay at the provincial synod at Thouars in 1682. Also present was a M.De La Valade, who was most likely a relation of Louis's wife, Suzanne.

Both Suzanne and her husband, Louis, moved to Ireland - but no address is noted - where Louis was in receipt of a pension for a year or two, but Suzanne is later noted as being in receipt of a widow’s pension:

‘List of Persons to be Pensioned [In Ireland].  These persons to be paid monthly or quarterly on appearance or sending certificates to shew they are alive, and not otherwise employed. Pensions to commence from 24 June, 1702.
Thenie….5d per day.’

(From Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Anne 1702)

Pensioners who have not served and Officers' widows on the foot of Charity:
 Susanna Thenie….£45 12s 6d.  (Treasury Books 1717)


The Treasury Book of 1718 mentions that Susanne Thenie was in receipt of a pension in Ireland:
‘A List of French Pensioners: to be paid monthly upon their personal appearance; or, if absent, to be paid quarterly upon authentic certificates of their being alive and in no employment.
Susan Thenie ….£45 per annum  (From Treasury Books 1714 -1715)

Sunday, 4 December 2011

The Children of Rev. John Pennefather

The following post is the result of a boring, rainy Sunday. I’ll add to it as I discover more info…

The Children of John Pennefather (1756- 1839) and Elizabeth Percival:


Edward Pennefather - born to Rev. John Pennefather and his first, unnamed wife - married Eliza White.  Named some of his children after his half-siblings, ie: John Lysaght Penneafather, William Westby Pennefather, Joseph Lysaght Pennefather. Edward is never mentioned in the Victorian genealogies which relate the pedigree of Rev. John Pennefather of Newport. Edward’s half-brother, Kingsmill, is always named as the first son of Rev. John Pennefather. Was Edward an illegitimate son or was he, perhaps, reared by the unnamed family of his mother following her early death and therefore remained slightly aloof from the rest of the family?

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/07/pennefather-family-of-tipperary-and.html

I went through the register of the parish of St.Johns, Newport, Tipperary at the National Archives and came up with the dates of birth of the children of Rev. John and Elizabeth Pennefather.
The register also shows up the couple's marriage on December 19th 1789:  'Rev'd John Pennefather, Rector of the Union to Miss Elizabeth Percival, daughter to Colonel William Percival of Wilton in the Parish of Abingdon, County of Limerick.'

Kingsmill Pennefather of Knockinglass and Golden:
Kingsmill was born in Newport on September 11th 1790 and baptised 14th September 1790 in St.John’s.
(From 'Dublin University Alumni':  'Kingsmill Pennefather, S.C. (Rev. Mr. Moore) July 6 1807 aged 16; son of John, Clericus, b. Tipperary. BA Vern 1812.')

He married Frances Hall in 1817, the daughter of Major Townshend Monckton Hall. A deed, numbered 1817-724-203-494618, was registered in 1817 by Rev. John Pennefather (Kingsmill's father), William Pennefather, collector of excise in Cork, Westby Percival Esq., a captain in the Royal Navy, Charles Hall of Dublin City and Joseph Minchin of Dublin.  The deed refers to the marriage of Frances Catherine Hall, eldest  daughter of Townsend Monckton Hall of Erina, Co. Clare, and Kingsmill Pennefather, eldest son of John Pennefather.  Rev. John Pennefather conveyed the town and lands of Knockinglass, Tipperary, in trust, on behalf of Kingsmill, to William Pennefather who was Rev. John's brother, Westby Percival who was Rev. John's brother-in-law, Charles Hall and Joseph Minchin who, I presume, were the solicitors involved, and who were most likely related to the bride, Frances Hall.  Along with Knockinglass, there was land in Cork, including plots at Little Island. These properties were most likely handed over to Kingsmill at the time of his marriage to Frances.

According to a variety of internet genealogies, the children of Kingsmill Pennefather and Frances Hall were John, Elizabeth, Caroline and Clare, although I've recently sourced a deed of  16th July 1841 (1841-15-295) which named their children as John, Elizabeth, Louisa Ricarda, Mary and Clare Elizabeth Emily.

On May 18th 1819, a daughter, Catherine Anne Pennefather was born to Kingsmill and Frances Catherine Pennefather - she was baptised by her grandfather, Rev. John Pennefather, at Newport.

A daughter, Louisa Ricarda, was born 28th May 1820 - she would marry her first cousin, John Ryan, the son of William Ryan and Ann Pennefather.

A daughter, Mary Pennefather, was born to Kingsmill and Frances Pennefather on June 14th 1821 and was baptised at Newport.

The St. John's register also records the birth of a son, John Pennefather, on September 13th 1822. I had wondered was this son  the John Pennefather who married Susan Darlington of Enniskerry on 20th July 1843 in St. Mark's Parish, Dublin - he would have been 21 at the time of his Dublin marriage;  this John Pennefather was supposedly a close relation of our line of Pennefathers which descended from Edward, the oldest son of Rev. John Pennefather of Newport by his first, unnamed wife.
However, the Cork Examiner of 10th December 1851 announced that, on 18th November 1851, in New York, John Pennefather, the eldest son of Kingsmill Pennefather of Golden, Tipperary, married Selena Power, the only surviving daughter of the late Lieutenant Colonel Power.
John Pennefather, son of Kingsmill Pennefather, was last noted at Preston, Western Canada, before disappearing, presumed dead at a place unknown prior to 1858.  His family in Ireland seem to have lost contact with him at some stage - his father, Kingsmill, had emigrated to Australia with his second wife where he died in 1858. 'The Sydney Herald' of 25th October 1858 ran the following advertisement:  'John Pennefather....send your address to your cousin, Thomas Evans, care of J.B.Richards Esq., Bathurst, your father is dead.'

John Pennefather's own will was later granted to his widow, Selena Pennefather of Morton House, Furze Hill, Brighton.  (Her solicitor would later prove the will, on her behalf, of the unmarried barrister, Nicholas Mansergh, when he died at Macrony Castle, Co. Cork, on 22nd October 1865.)  She herself would die, aged 73, at Barton Regis, Gloucestershire.

The 1841 UK Census recorded Kingsmill Pennefather, of the Army, living in St. Helier, Jersey, aged 50, with three - possible - daughters. The 1841 Census gives no detail other than name, age and place of birth. The three Pennefather girls were Elizabeth aged 20, Mary aged 20, and Clare aged 15.
Kingsmill's wife, Frances Hall, had died in St. Helier in 1839.

Also in 1841, John Pennefather, Kingsmill's son, was recorded on the UK census staying, or living with, his maternal grandparents,  Townshend Monckton Hall and Eliza Minchin, who were elderly and living in Park Hill, Tor Mohan, Devon.

Townshend Monckton Hall and Eliza Frances Minchin had married in St. Peters, Dublin, on 8th February 1797.  He was of the 28th Regiment, and had lived for a time at Erina, Limerick, although he'd been born in Dublin, and owned a number of houses on Lower Baggot Street.  His parents were buried in St. Paul's, Dublin - William Hall Esq., late Town Major (or mayor?) of Dublin, died 20th December 1771, and his mother, Elizabeth Rainsford, died in 1773.
Townhend Monckton Hall and Eliza Minchin also appeared on the 1851 UK census in Tor Mohan, Devon, along with their three unmarried daughters, Louisa, Araminta and Emily -  Townshend was noted as a fundholder and a house proprietor.  He had been born in St.Paul's parish, Dublin, in about 1771;  his wife, Eliza Minchin had been born in Marlborough Street, Dublin, in 1776.  Louisa Hall had been born in 1803 in St. Ann's, Dublin, Araminta in Ireland in 1820, and Emily in Ireland in 1829.  In 1871, the three unmarried daughters were living together in Kingston, Surrey, and were noted as fundholders.
Townshend also had a son, Rev. William Cradock Hall (1803 - 1899), whose Oxford records show him to have been the chaplain at Caen in 1828-1829, the Vicar of Pilton 1837 - 1843, and again from 1850.

Kingsmill Pennefather was a major in the Royal County Limerick Regiment of militia.  He had lived for a time at Lower Mount St., Dublin.
In 1835, Major Kingsmill Pennefather, of Newport, was stationed at Francis Abbey, Limerick;  he was still there in 1845;  In 1845, he was recorded as a magistrate for Co. Limerick.

Kingsmill's second wife was Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier Fonblanque of Belgium. Their wedding was recorded in ‘The Annual Register’ of 1843:
  ‘At St. Helier's, Kingsmill Pennefather, esq., of Golden and Knockinglass, Tipperary, eldest son of the late Rev. John Pennefather, Rector of Newport, Tipperary, to Jane Catherine Patricia, eldest daughter of Thomas de Grenier de Fonblanque, K.H., Her Majesty's Consul-Gen. in Servia, and granddaughter of the late Sir Jonah Barrington.’
(Sir Jonah Barrington, her grandfather, was a celebrated Irish judge of County Laois and was not related to the Barrington family of Limerick. He is known for his opposition to the Act of Union of 1800 and also for his beautifully written memoirs of Irish life which are well worth a good afternoon’s read, if only for his amazing description of the Irish farm worker who managed to slice off his own head while trying to catch a salmon with a scythe, I kid you not….)

Kingsmill and his family emigrated to Australia following the famine which had bankrupted many Irish landowners. He died on 7th May 1858;  the Australian papers note that he died at La Chaumiere the Canning.
Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier Fonblanque and Kingsmill Pennefather had three children together in Australia - Charles Edward de Fonblanque Pennefather, Ruth Tymperly de Fonblanque Pennefather and De Fonblanque Pennefather who would later take the additional name 'John'.

Following Kingsmill’s death, he left money to his son, Captain Charles Edward de Fonblanque Pennefather (1848 - 1922) who had been appointed to command of the survey ship 'The Pearl' in 1879, and  spent the greater part of his later life as Comptroller General of Prisons in Queensland.   Charles Edward de F. Pennefather, married in St. Mary's, Melbourne, on 3rd February 1881, Mary Rose or Maisie, the youngest daughter of James Mackay Seward of Somerset, East Preston.
Charles Edward de. F. Pennefather died aged 74 in October 1922, leaving a son, Charles Edward de Fonblanque Pennefather who, on 21st October 1908 in Suva, Fiji, married Jessie Roy Stewart, the eldest daughter of the late James Stewart C.M.G., once Colonial Secretary of the colony.  Following the wedding, the bride and groom departed to live in the Gilbert Islands.
Another son of Captain Charles Edward de Fonblanque Pennefather, Comptroller General of Queensland Prisons, was Edward Kingsmill Pennefather who married Phyllis Mary Eyre Hammond, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.B. Hammond of Tower Street, Albion, on 21st May 1931 in Brisbane.

Kingsmill Pennefather and Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier de Fonblanque  also had John (Tymperley) de Fonblanque Pennefather, who was born in Perth, Australia. He was the MP for Kirkdale, Liverpool from 1915 till 1929. He married in Dublin, on 1st May 1886, Madeline Stewart, the second daughter of Sir R. P. Stewart of 40 Upper Fitzwilliam Street.

His mother, Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier de Fonblanque Pennefather, died in 1886 in Liverpool and son John de Fonblanque Pennefather was one of the executors of her will. John’s sister was Ruth de Fonblanque Pennefather who married the other executor of their mother’s will, William Nimmo.
 
 ‘Pennefather, Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier, Personal Estate £430 1s 11d. 26 November.  The Will of Jane Catherine Patricia de Grenier Pennefather formerly of The Elms Formby but late of Fairholme Mayfield-road Aigburth near Liverpool both in the County of Lancaster, Widow who died 6 May 1886 at Fairholme was proved at Liverpool by Tymperley de Fonblanque Pennefather of 13 Rumford-street in the City of Liverpool, Cotton  Broker the son and William Nimmo the Younger of Berey’s-buildings Geroge-street Liverpool Cotton Broker the Executors.’

Ruth Pennefather, daughter of the late Major Kingsmill Pennefather of Golden and Knockinglass, married William, son of William Nimmo, of Liverpool, on 11th July 1879.

Kingsmill's children wrangled over his will after his death in Australia on about 7th May 1858.  He had appointed two of his brothers as executors to his 1850 will, and had made his son by his second marriage, Charles Pennefather, his sole residual legatee.  Kingsmill had left a widow and several children by a former marriage, plus three children by his last one. Charles stood to inherit about £1,400.  However, letters of administration had been granted to Elizabeth Pennefather, a daughter by the first marriage, on 2nd September 1858.  In November 1860, both parties were fighting it out in the courts.

The daughter of Kingsmill Pennefather and Frances Hall,  Clare Elizabeth Emily Pennefather, died in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary on 22nd September 1859, at the home of her brother-in-law, the solicitor John Ryan who had married her sister, Louisa Ricarda.
Elizabeth Pennefather died at 76 Blessington Street on 14th December 1875, the home of William Ewer Ryan, the son of Louisa Ricarda Pennefather and John Ryan.   I wonder was Elizabeth Pennefather the daughter of Kingsmill Pennefather and Frances Hall?  Her will was was proved by William Ryan of Ballymackeogh.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/05/the-ryan-family-of-ballymackeogh.html

More on Kingsmill Pennefather:
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2012/02/major-kingsmill-pennefather-law-suit.html


Anne Pennefather  was born in Newport, Tipperary on September 27th 1791. She married William Ryan, landowner of Ballymackeogh, Tipperary.
From notes held at NUI, Galway:
‘The Ryans of Ballymackeogh, County Tipperary, were also members of the Established Church, although of Gaelic stock. They styled themselves "the Milesian family of Ryan, anciently O'Mull Ryan [who] held extensive possessions in the barony of Owney and Arros, and co.Tipperary, up to the period of confiscations by Cromwell, when they were deprived of the greater part of their estates." The eldest William Ryan is said to have passed on the reduced estate to his son Daniel. However, it seems from these papers that Ballymackeogh estate was only acquired by Daniel by marriage to Honora Ewer, whose father Colonel John Ewer had been given the estate in 1667 from Charles II, in gratitude for military services.  Ballymackeogh lies c.5 miles southwest of Newport, County Tipperary (Barony Owney and Arra). In the 19th century, the Ryans continued to marry advantageously, connecting themselves with the Pennefathers of County Tipperary and the Grogans of Carlow. Both the Pennefathers and Grogans produced Members of Parliament. The marriage portion of Anne Pennefeather when she married William Ryan in 1814 , was £3,000 , and their eldest son, also William, a Justice of the Peace, was valued at 1,352 acres (£866 p.a.). The next head of the family, Charles Arthur Ryan, was also a Justice of the Peace; his wife survived him and held on to the estate, and in 1989 Willie Ryan wrote to a certain Mr. Lucas about his family's history [LE37/ 99]. The house at the former Ballymackeogh estate seems to have been a splendid edifice, and may still be inhabited today.’

On February 2nd 1827, Lysaght Pennefather Ryan was born in Newport to William Ryan of Ballymackeogh and Anne his wife.  Anne Ryan, the widow of William Ryan, died at Ballymackeogh, Tipperary, on 10th December 1863.

The children of William Ryan and Anne Pennefather were:
William Ryan
John who married his first cousin, Louisa Ricarda Pennefather, the daughter of Major Kingsmill Pennefather.
George Henry Ryan, MD, Surgeon in the Royal Navy, who died at Port Royal, Jamaica, in July 1866.
Robert Perceval Ryan
Edward
Elizabeth - who died, aged 16, on 1st September 1864.
Clare
Mary Anne
Laura

Anne Ryan, née Pennefather, died at the Ballymackeogh residence of her son, William Ryan J.P., on December 9th 1863.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/05/the-ryan-family-of-ballymackeogh.html

Mary Charity Pennefather  was born on October 14th 1793 and married Rear-Admiral Henry Vansittart (born 17th April 1777 at Hanover Square, London; died 21st March 1843 at Eastwood, Woodstock, Canada)  of the beautiful Bisham Abbey, Berkshire.

They married in St. John's, Newport, on May 15th 1809 - 'Henry Vansittart Esq., Captain in the Royal Navy, son of George Vansittart Esq., MP for Berkshire, to Mary Charity Pennefather, Daughter of Rev. John Pennefather, Rector of this Parish.'

Henry Vansittart's parents were George Vansittart (1745 - 1825) and Sarah Stonhouse.

The St. John's register records the death, on April 12th 1811, of their first son George Vansittart.
Rear-Admiral Henry Vansittart had joined the Navy in 1791;  he was appointed a Rear-Admiral in 1830, and Vice-Admiral in 1841.
The Vansittart family emigrated to Ontario in 1834, leaving England aboard the 'Canada' on 1st May 1834. Mary Charity fell ill at Saratoga, New York, and died there on 2nd July 1834.
Henry Vansittart died later in 1843 at his seat 'Eastwood' in Woodstock, Canada.
The couple had six children, George who died in Newport in 1811, and  four who were baptised in Bisham, Bershire, and who were noted on the LDS site:

  • John George Vansittart, christenened at Bisham on 27th June 1813.
  • Elizabeth Vansittart, christened at Bisham on 11th May 1817.
  • Vice-Admiral Edward Westby Vansittart, born on 29th July 1818, christened at Bisham on 23rd August 1818, and died at Worthing, Sussex in 1904.
  • Mary Charity Vansittart, christened at Bisham on 12th September 1819.
  • Henry Vansittart.
Rear Admiral Henry Vansittart, late of Bisham, and of Eastwood, Blandford, Oxford, Upper Canada, made an extensive will with many updated codicils, which was finally proved on 6th and 7th June 1843 in Ontario following his death there.
The will deals with the thousands of Canadian acres in his possession, some of it bought by him and some received as a naval grant from the provincial government of the province.  He held land in Toronto, in Kingston, Blandford, Eastwood, Mariposa and Saint Mary, and also mentions the residue of 
the £4000 given to him by Rev. John Pennefather as part of his marriage settlement with Mary Charity Pennefather.
The original part of the will, made out on 22nd October 1836, mentions an intended wife, Isabella Stevenson who was to receive land in Boxley and land in Kingston, Ontario.  Later he names a John Stevenson who was farming at Lake Balsam, and this was presumably a relation of his second wife, Isabella, who he did indeed marry, and who was given land in a later codicil to enable her to fulfil engagements with family coming from England.
The major part of his estate was divided between his children John George Vansittart, Henry Vansittart and Edward Westby Vansittart.   An additional codicil mentions the marriage of his two daughters and provides accordingly for them - Mary Charity Vansittart married Spencer Mackay Esq. Junior (this man's name was difficult to decipher but was clarified by Spencer Mackay's great-great-great granddaughter, Alix Nel, recently) while Elizabeth Vansittart married Robert Riddell.
Also named in the will was a cousin, Mary Vansittart of Yorkshire, England, and mention was made of land being sold to a Peter Boyle de Blaquiere, and that Henry was due money from Rear Admiral Robert O'Brien.



William Westby Pennefather, born 13th March 1795, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy having joined up in 1808; he married in about 1818, Elizabeth (or perhaps Isabella?) Harding, the daughter of William Harding Esquire. (William Harding may have lived at Ballyduff, North Tipperary near Ballykisteen,)  William Westby Pennefather died on 30th January 1849 in Bristol and was buried in St. Mary's, Shirehampton, Gloucestershire, on 7th February 1849.   His widow, Isabella Pennefather, died in April 1869 at Brompton, London. (This from The Limerick Chronicle.)

Clare Elizabeth Pennefather, was born in Newport on April 20th 1796 and was baptised on 24th April 1796. She  married Thomas Pearce Evans of Ashroe, Tipperary, and died on 9th March 1861 at Clarinda Terrace, Kingstown, Co. Dublin.

'Saunders Newsletter', 16th August 1826 - 'At Newport, Thomas Evans, Esq., R.N., son the late John Evans of Ashroe, Co. Tipperary, to Clare Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. John Pennefather of Lacklands, Rector of Newport.'

Thomas Pearce Evans was born 16th October 1786 to John Evans of Ashrow on the Limerick/Tipperary border.  The father of John Evans was an earlier John Evans of Ashrow.  Thomas Pearce Evans had a brother, Captain Austin Evans who died in Chelsea, London, on 5th June 1856.  The mother of the two brothers may have been a member of the Pierse family, since a Mrs. Pierse of Ashrow, the wife of Alderman Pierce of Limerick, died at Ashrow on 20th May 1806.
A sister of Thomas Pierce Evans was Eliza Evans who suddenly dropped dead at her lodgings in Catherine Street, Limerick, in September 1848. ('Tipperary Vindicator', 27th September 1848.)

Thomas Pearce Evans entered the Navy in May 1800. He served aboard the ships 'Jason', 'De Ruyter', 'Désirée', 'Dragon', 'Brunswick', 'Sultan', 'Hibernia', and the 'Warsprite'.

The Irish and British newspapers mention frequent visits in the 1850's by Clare Elizabeth Harding/neé Pennefather's brother, General John Lysaght Pennefather and his wife to the Evans of Ashrow.

Thomas Pearce Evans and Clare Elizabeth Pennefather had six children, amongst whom was Henry Vansittart Evans who was born in 1836 at 'Boura', Limerick, and died in 1878 in Moruya, New South Wales.  On 26th January 1865 in Wagonga, New South Wales,  Henry Vansittart Evans married Sarah Forster, the daughter of Thomas Forster of Wagonga.  Henry was noted as the third son of Captain Thomas Pearse/Pierce Evans.

A daughter of Thomas Pearse Evans and Clare Elizabeth Pennefather was Elizabeth Evans, who died, aged 18 years and 8 months at Waterloo Place, Upper Baggot St., Dublin, on 17th March 1846. She was noted as the eldest daughter.

Another daughter was Anna Evans of Ashrow, who died at Charlemont Mall, Dublin,  on 10th October 1842.  Her will was granted to her father, Thomas P. Evans of 20 Clarinda Park, Kingstown.

The second daughter of Clare Elizabeth Pennefather and Thomas Pearce Evans was Alice Evans, who died, aged 15 years and 11 months, in May 1844 in Dublin.

A daughter, Emma Evans, was named in the 1836 will of her maternal uncle Captain Westby Percival.

Later, when Thomas Pierse Evans of Ashrow (and there is a variety of spellings for 'Pearse') died, on 19th June 1867, aged 80, at Kingstown, Co. Dublin, another daughter, Clare Evans of Clarinda Park, Kingstown, was the beneficiary of his will.

Francis Charlotte Matilda Pennefather was born on June 16th 1797, but the word 'dead' is written into the register next to the details.

Sir John Lysaght Pennefather
, was born September 9th 1798 and married the widowed Margaret, daughter of John Carr, Esq., of Mountrath, Laois.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/07/sir-john-lysaght-pennefather.html

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2013/05/general-sir-john-lysaght-pennefather_9.html

Joseph Lysaght Pennefather, (aka Lysaght Pennefather), born September 20th 1800,  barrister-at-law, married Elizabeth Rea, daughter of Mr. Rea of Barnwood, Gloucestershire. He lived for a time at 60 Great Brunswick St., Dublin. He left a paper trail......

From 'Dublin University Alumni':  'Joseph Lysaght Pennefather - Pen. (Mr.Moore) July 7 1817 aged 16;  son of John, Clericus, b. Tipperary.'   (Mr. Moore was his first teacher in Tipperary.)

From 'The King's Inns Admission Papers':   'Joseph Lysaght Pennefather, 4th son of Rev. John and Eliza Percival, aged 33 on 20 September 1835; M,1833.  L.I.  M 1832;  H 1836.'   (His date of birth doesn't tally with his father's register.  M = Michaelmas/ L.I. = Lincoln's Inn/ H = Hilary term.)

From the Index to Oxford Admissions:  ‘Pennefather, Joseph Lysaght, 4s. John of Newport, co.Tipperary, (Ireland), cleric, QUEEN’S COLL., matric 18th Jan. 1819, aged 18; BA from ST.ALBAN HALL 1823, MA 1825, bar.-at-law Lincoln’s Inn, 1825.’

On June 6th 1823 the register of St. John's, Newport, records the birth of Anne Pennefather to Joseph Lysaght Pennefather and his wife, a woman named Daly. Her first name was illegible. Perhaps this was his first wife?   Either way, the baby can't have survived, since Joseph Lysaght Pennefather only had one daughter, Julia Pennefather Dupen.

He married wife No. 2, Elizabeth Rea, in Barnwood, Gloucestershire, on April 8th 1824.  She had been born to Joseph Rea (he was born in 1772 to Thomas and Mary Rea) at Barnwood.   He appeared on the 1851 census as a widower of 80. Also present in the house the night of the census was his son, William Rea, born 1816, and a daughter, Mary Rea, born 1812. His granddaughter, Julia Pennefather, was also there - she was unmarried and had been born circa 1827 in Cirencester.

(From the LDS -  on 17th March 1840,  Joseph Lysaght Pennefather, had married for a third time in St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Middlesex.  Wife No. 3 was Helen Frances Middleton, born in 1822 to Francis and Elizabeth Middleton in Manchester.  I found this record online on the LDS, but can find no further supporting record of Helen Frances Middleton/Pennefather - I suspect this information is probably inaccurate...)

However, Joseph Rea of Barnwood made a will, which was probated on 2nd August 1855 - in this he mentions only his children as William, Mary, Helen, Joseph and Elizabeth.  There was no mention of any Pennefather, but Elizabeth was still alive in October 1848 when her father made out his will. Another researcher discovered Joseph Lysaght Pennefather's wife, Elizabeth Rea, dying in 1848 - she was buried in St. Lawrence, Barnwood.   The newspapers of the day confirm her death - she died in December 1848 and was noted as the wife of Lysaght Pennefather of Newport, and was the eldest daughter of Joseph Rea of Barnwood.

Helen Anderson Rea, the daughter of Joseph Rea of Barnwood, married Alexander Richey of Dublin on 8th April 1834. ('Bath Chronicla and Weekly Gazette', 17th April 1834.)

The Dublin Almanac of 1841 records J. Lysaght Pennefather, barrister, at 35 Holles Street, Dublin.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/06/julia-pennefather-daughter-of-joseph.html

A passionate patriot, Joseph Lysaght Pennefather stood trial in Borrisokane in the 1830's for obstructing the collection of tithes, this despite the fact that his father was a beneficiary of the tithe system, being a cleric of the Church of Ireland in Newport, Tipperary.  The 'Evening Mail' of 19th November 1832 reported that Lysaght Pennefather was in Clonmel Gaol.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2012/03/joseph-lysaght-pennefather-clonmel.html

Joseph Lysaght Pennefather comes across as a rather volatile individual - in April 1833 the governement remitted a fine of £200 which had been imposed on him,  His response was "...for this last act I shall never feel myself in any way thankful, or under any compliment.  The government are in my opinion the same gang of Algerine despots, and unworthy of the confidence of any Irishman." ('Southern Eastern Gazette', 2nd April 1833.)

In October 1833 he was again in court charged with fighting a Cork Quaker, Mr.Harvey, during a game of cards.  He stated in court that he'd already spent 5 month in jail for stating his political opinions. ('Leicester Chronicle', 26th October 1833.)    The 'Morning Chronicle' of 29th March 1834 reported that Lysaght Pennefather had been fined for poaching grouse in Ireland on Lord Stadbroke's land.

'The Pilot' of 27th January 1836 noted that Lysaght Pennefather, following exclusion from the bar, presumably because of his previous anti-tithe stance and imprisonment, had been admitted as a barrister by the Benchers of the King's Inns.

In 1839, Lysaght Pennefather, barrister, was living in London with his family at 6 Frederick Terrace, Hampstead Road, where he was fined 5 pounds for beating Mary Williams, a servant of the owner of the house, when she refused to give Lysaght Pennefather the key to the back door of the property.  The owner was a Mr. Russell, presumably Lysaght Pennefather's landlord, and he had specifically told the servant not to hand over the key.  ('Morning Post', 11th December 1839.)

He maintained close links with Dublin, and the papers of the day records him as slightly accident-prone - In 1838 he was toppled out of his cab when the horse collided with a lamppost, and in June 1842, while he was walking his dog in the company of his wife, he had a fall in Kingstown, Co. Dublin.

I don't know yet when Joseph Lysaght Pennefather died.

Isabella Catherine Pennefather was born in Newport on July 26th 1802, but the register includes the word 'dead'.  She lived 10 days only and was buried at Kilnerath.


Robert Perceval Pennefather (July 9th 1804 - 1874) married Elizabeth Jane Benson. Was Lieutenant and Adjutant in the 3rd Bengal Native Cavalry.  Upon their return from Bengal, the family lived at 14 Abbey Place, St. John’s Wood where the family appear on  the censa of 1851, 1861, 1871. Their children were all born in Bengal in the East Indies - Gertrude in about 1835, Esther in about 1839 and Robert Perceval Pennefather circa 1842.  On the 1861 Census, Robert Percival (senior) states that he had been born in Dublin, rather than Newport as expected. The son, 19-year-old Robert Percival, is missing from the household - he was resident at the Royal Engineer Establishment Barracks in Brompton.

On 8th April 1890 in St. Mary's, Edinburgh, the younger Robert Perceval Pennefather, retired Lieutenant-Colonel of the Royal Engineers, married Margaret McDonald, the widow of Surgeon Major Thomas Lowe M.D., and eldest daughter of Major George Graham of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Robert Percival and Elizabeth Pennefather had another son, Henry Vansittart Pennefather, who had been born in Calpi, Bengal, on 13th November 1828 - he was named after his paternal uncle, Rear-Admiral Henry Vansittart, who had earlier married his father’s sister, Mary Charity Pennefather.  Henry would later settle in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, where his descendants still reside. Apparently Henry was the second son of Robert and Elizabeth, so there must be an earlier one floating around somewhere.  Henry entered the military and served as ADC to his uncle Sir John Lysaght Pennefather at the battles of Scinde, Meanee and Hyderabad, before being invalided home to Tipperary, before his eventual emigration to South Africa.  He married Margaretta de la Pole, the daughter of Baronet John de la Pole, on 23rd October 1860.
His sister, Gertrude Percival Pennefather married the interesting Josiah John Merriman in 1874. Josiah John Merriman was born in London in 1824, the son of a printer, John Merriman. Josiah became a journalist, contributing to, amongst others, The Manchester Guardian and Times. Following his stint as a reporter, he entered the legal profession and built up a good practice in London, but was also politically active as a liberal socialist and as a supporter of the co-operative movement. He was the director of elections for Thomas Hughes, the author of ‘Tom Brown’s Schooldays’, getting him elected at the top of the poll for much less money than expected.

Esther Pennefather married Thomas Albert Quin, the son of Thomas Quin, a gentleman of Tipperary, on 3rd August 1869 in St. Marks, Marylebone.  The witnesses were either her father or her brother, Robert Percival Pennefather, and her uncle, General John Lysaght Pennefather.  Thomas Albert Quin would, later in 1888, be one of the executors of the will of his brother-in-law, Henry Vansittart Pennefather, in South Africa. Thomas Albert Quin was also appointed as agent to administer Henry’s estate in Tipperary - at the time of his death in 1888, Henry was still the owner of property in Knockinglass, Tipperary.
Thomas Albert and Esther Quin both appear on the two online Irish censa at 1 Bellevue Place, Clonmel, Tipperary.  The 1911 return states that they had two children but only one was living. Thomas Albert states that his occupation is ‘independent means.  The two children born to Thomas Albert Quin and Esther Pennefather were Albert Robert Pennefather Quin who had been born on 16th April 1874, and also Thomas William Noel Quin who had been born on 25th December 1872 and who emigrated to the States on 26th March 1922, dying in Washington on 26th March 1922.

Thomas Albert Quin had regained ownership of Redmondstown House, Clonmel, in November 1866 which had previously been in the occupation of a William P. Worrall, but had formerly been owned by Thomas's father, Thomas Quin.  Thomas Quin was the son of William Quinn and Mary Jemima Going of Loughloher.  In 1842, Thomas Quin and his wife, Maria, had a son at Redmondstown. In August 1844, Thomas's twins Nanno and Kate, aged 5 and a half, died of scarletina at Redmondstown.  Thomas Quin of Redmondstown suffered a serious fall from his horse in February 1843 while out hunting.  Thomas Quin of Redmondstown died in Nassau Street, Dublin, in November 1845.
His widow, Maria, married Samuel Riall of Annerville, Tipperary, in May 1848.  The children of Thomas and Maria Quin of Redmondstown, Caroline Quin and Thomas Albert Quin, went to live at Annerville with her mother following their father's death.
Maria Riall died at Annerville on 5th November 1888 with probate granted to her unmarried daughter, Caroline Quin of 4 Anglesea Street, Clonmel.  Caroline herself died in Bray, Co. Wicklow, on 10th September 1889 and her will was administered by a member of the Riall family, William Arthur Riall of Annerville.   When William Arthur Riall died on 10th November 1904, his will was granted to Thomas William Noel Quin, the son of Thomas Albert Quin and Esther Pennefather.

The Quins of Redmonstown were related to the Quins of Loughloher, Tipperary.  The eldest surviving daughter of the late Thomas Quin of Redmondstown, Eliza Quin, married in Clonmel on 7th January 1857, John le Poer Bookey of Mount Eland, son of the late T.T. Bookey of Kilkenny.  The paper noted Eliza Quin as the niece of William Quin of Loughloher Castle.

So Thomas Quin of Redmondstown was the brother of William Quin of Loughloher Castle, and also of Mary Quin who married Robert M'Caith of Loughloher.  The Quins of Loughloher are discussed further in relation to Laura Pennefather who follows....

‘Pennefather, Robert Percival, Effects under £6000., 30 June, the Will of Robert Percival Pennefather, late of 14 Abbey-place St.John’sWood in the County of Middlesex a Major on the Retired List of the Bengal Army who died 6 June 1874 at 14 Abbey-place was proved at the PrincipleRegistry by Elizabeth Jane Pennefather of 14 Abbey-place Widow the Relict one of the Executors.’

‘Pennefather, Elizabeth Jane, Personal Estate £2,226 2s. 7d., The Will with a Codicil of Elizabeth Jane Pennefather late of Redmonstown near Clonmel but late of Clonmel both in the County of Tipperary in Ireland, Widow, who died 28th March 1887 at Clonmel was proved at the PRINCIPAL REGISTRY by Robert Percival Pennefather the Son and Thomas Albert Quin both of Clonmel Esquires the Executors.’

Laura Pennefather, was born on October 14th 1809 and baptised the following day.  She married into the Philips family of Mount Philips which was close to her hometown of Newport, Tipperary - her husband was William Stumbles Phillips, named erroneously in some papers as William Stanfield Phillips.
The Limerick Chronicle, November 1840:  'On Thursday 29th inst., at Abington Church, by the Rev. Michael Lloyd Apjohn, William Phillips, Esq., of Mount Phillips, county Tipperary, to Laura, youngest daughter of the late Rev. Dr. Pennefather of Newport, same county.'    (NB: William Phillips was the son of another William Phillips.)   Slater's Directory for 1856 noted Mrs. Laura Philips at Mount Philips, Newport - clearly her husband had died by this stage.

A son and heir was born at Mount Philips to William S. Philips in July 1841.   This son, named as William Augustus Phillips, died on 20th November 1843 ('Dublin Monitor', 29th November 1843).

The second son of William S. Phillips and Laura Pennefather was John Pennefather Phillips. The 'Dublin Daily Express' of 28th October 1862 noted that John Pennefather Phillips, aged about 14, the only son of Mrs. Phillips, had accidentally shot himself in the arm while practicing. He made a full recovery.
John Pennefather Philips (1849 - 1906)  married Jane Constance Braddell, the daughter of Edward Benjamin Braddell and of his first wife, Elizabeth Malvina Hopkins, on 16th August 1881 at East Stonehouse, Devon.     Benjamin Braddell and Elizabeth Malvina Hopkins, the daughter of William Thomas Bligh Hopkins, had married on 29th December 1848;  Benjamin, the son of John Armstead Braddell of Mallow, was in the army and was posted to Fort William, India, where his eldest daughter, Jane Constance Braddell, was born on 9th December 1849.  A second daughter was Anna Cecilia Braddell (1854 - 11th February 1886) who married Captain Alfred Oliver de Blacquiere Nepean of the Royal Marines and who had a daughter, Amy Constance Nepean (1882–1939). Following the death of Elizabeth Malvina, Edward Benjamin Braddell of the North Cork Rifles, son of John Armstead Braddell, married his second wife, Elizabeth Elliot, the daughter of Thomas Elliot, on 9th June 1857 in St. Peter's, Dublin.  A witness was his brother St.John  Galwey Braddell. Elizabeth Elliot must have died also, since Edward Benjamin Braddell married as his 3rd wife,  Martha Jones Nunn, in 1862 in Cheltenham.  They had: Arthur St. John Nunn Braddell on 21st March 1863, Alfred Edward Braddell on 30th March 1864, Edith Mary Braddell in Mallow in 5th August1865 (she would marry her brother-inlaw, Captain Alfred Oliver de Blacquiere Nepean, following the death of her sister, Anna Cecilia Nepean in 1886) and Henry Walter Braddell on 13th April 1868.
(Captain Alfred Oliver de Blacquiere Nepean, who married the sisters, Anna Cecilia and Edith Mary Braddell, was the son of Cornwall-born Alfred de Hochepied Nepean of the Royal Navy and to Elizabeth Jane Seymour, only daughter of Nicholas Seymour of Cork. Alfred de Hochepied Nepean  was the son of naval Commander John Sporcken Nepean,1789 - 1852, and Louisa Lucy Withecombe of Devon.   John Sporcken Nepean was himself the son of Lt. General Nicholas Nepean of Cornwall and of his wife, Johanna Francina Caroline Widekind of Hanover.    The brother of Lt. General Nicholas Nepean was Sir Evan Nepean, who was created a baronet in 1802, and who served briefly as Secretary of State to Ireland - one of his descendants is the actor Hugh Grant.
Jane Constance Pennefather, née Braddell, would die on 14th July 1912 at 1 Northumberland Place, Kingstown, with probate to the unmarried Amy Constance Nepean,  the daughter of Anna Cecilia Braddell and  Captain Alfred Oliver de Blaquiere Nepean.
John Pennefather Philips had died at Mount Philips, Newport, Co. Tipperary, on 11th May 1906.

The daughter of Laura Pennefather and William S. Phillips was Laura Phillips.  On 10th February 1866 in Newport, Co. Tipperary, she married Major Thomas McCraith/M'Creith (various spellings) of the North Tipperary Militia who lived at Loughloher/Loughlor near Cahir.  The bride was given away by her uncle, General Sir John Lysaght Pennefather, her own father being dead.  The bride and groom had met in 1864 and would meet frequently at the house of Stephen Moore of Barne.

Thomas McCraith was the son of Robert McCraith of Coolbane, Loughloher, who had married Mary Quin, the daughter of William Quin/Quinn and Mary Jemima Going of Loughloher Castle, on 7th February 1826 in Cahir Church.   Robert McCraith made a will in 1851 in which he named his children by Mary Quin as Mary McCraith, Thomas McCraith, Honoria McCraith, Susanna McCraith and Harriot McCraith.  Robert McCraith died on 29th October 1860.  His daughter,  Harriot, married Lieutenant William Ker of the 3rd Buffs, son of Rev. William Ker of Tipton, Staffordshire, in Cahir on 25th July 1861.

The brother of Mary Quinn, who had married Robert McCraith in 1826, was William Quin of Loughloher Castle, born in 1800 to William Quin and Mary Jemima Going, who married in 1832, Ellen Brazier, the daughter of Brook Brazier of Mitchell's Hill, Tipperary.   Ellen Quin, née Brazier, died at Loughloher Castle on 13th November 1851. William Quin, her husband, died on 15th March 1869.   William Quin, born 1800, and his sister Mary McCraith, were both mentioned in their sister Elizabeth Quin's 1863 will - she also named her sister Nanno Ryan, her sister-in-law Maria Riall, and her niece, Catherine Quin, daughter of brother William Quin.

Another son of William Quinn and Mary Jemima Going of Loughloher was Thomas Quin of Redmondstown, whose son, Thomas Albert Quin, married Esther Pennefather, daughter of Robert Perceval Pennefather and Elizabeth Jane Benson.

Major Thomas McCraith and Laura Phillips had a daughter, Laura Mary McCraith, on 1st September 1870.

Laura M'Craith, the wife of Major Thomas M'Craith, would have a scandalous affair with her husband's first cousin, Captain William Quin of the Tipperary Artillery, who had not only been the first man at their wedding, but was also a trustee of their marriage settlement.   Captain William Quin was the son of William Quin and Ellen Brazier of Loughloher Castle.

Upon the discovery of the affair between Captain Quin and Laura M'Craith in 1871, Laura went home to her  mother's house at Mount Phillips where she was carefully watched over by her mother, brother and sister.   Captain Quin went briefly to India.  Later that year, 1871, Major M'Craith contracted smallpox;  following his recovery, it was deemed necessary to redecorate the house, so his wife was sent temporarily to Tramore.  Captain William Quin had recently returned to Ireland where, on 5th June 1872, he finally persuaded Laura to elope and they fled the country to Boulogne where they lived together as man and wife.  ('Belfast Newsletter', 1st August 1872).

A William Quin of Loughloher died in France on 13th April 1889 and his will was granted to Laura Philips of Mount Philips, a widow, who was the guardian of the executor, still a minor.

Thomas M'Craith JP died, aged 48, on 27th March 1877 at his residence in Loughloher. In his 1877 will he named his sister, Honoria McCraith, and friend Louis Ffennell of Cottage as the guardians of his daughter, Laura Mary McCraith, and forbade his 'unfortunate' wife any access to her.

Captain William Quin of Loughloher Castle was related to Thomas Albert Quin of Redmondstown House who married Esther Pennefather, the daughter of Robert Perceval Pennefather and Elizabeth Jane Benson.

Other Thomas M'Craiths of Loughloher:
In April 1834 in Clonmel,  John Going of Clonmel married Harriet, eldest daughter of the late Thomas M'Craith of Loughloher.

On 10th April 1841 at the residence of his brother-in-law, John Going, Thomas M'Craith died of effusion of the brain.

In June 1838, George Tomkins M'Craith, son of Thomas M'Craith of Limerick, died.

In August 1851 in St. Mary's, Clonmel, Rev. Patrick Foley of Belmullet, Co. Mayo, married Anne Eliza, eldest daughter of the late Thomas M'Craith of County Tipperary and granddaughter of the late Colonel Tomkins of the 27th Regiment.


Kate M'Craith married Rev. Thomas John Jacob, rector of Ardcoline, Ferns, in St. Bartholomew's Church, Clyde Road, Dublin, on 21st January 1879.   She was noted as the daughter of Thomas M'Craith of Limerick and granddaughter of Thomas M'Craith of Loughloher.

On the 4th November 1865,  Georgina Percival M'Craith, youngest daughter of Thomas M'Craith of Limerick, married Loftus Anthony Bryan, son of Loftus Anthony Bryan of Upton, Co. Wexford, in St. Kevin's, Dublin.

In December 1869 in Rosario, South America, Luke Gardiner Tomkins M'Craith, lieutenant in the Royal Limerick County regiment, son of Thomas M'Craith of Limerick, died of typhus.

The Phillips of Mount Phillips, Co. Tipperary:
There were two distinct Philips/Phillips families of Mount Philips, Newport, Co. Tipperary, both using the family name 'Stumbles' which hints at a family link between the two.
Barrister at law, Stumbles Phillips of Mount Philips married Susan/Susannah Lee of Barna  on August 5th or 8th 1775. Stumbles Philips was buried in Newport on 30th September 1792 - his will was probated in 1805. A daughter, Mary Rebecca Philips was buried there on 20th January 1784.  A second daughter, who had been born in about 1786, was Matilda, wife of the late William Bentley of Huristop, Co. Clare, (noted as the only daughter of Stumbles Philips of Mount Philips) died aged 77 in Limerick.  Matilda Philips and William Bentley had married in 1802.
The son of Stumbles Philips and Susannah Lee was Lt. John Philips of the 28th Light Dragoons who settled at Oakhampton, Co. Tipperary and whose children were all christened in St. John's, Newport.  (A Samuel Philips died at Oakhampton, Co. Tipperary, and was buried on 26th March 1797.  The daughter of this Samuel Philips was Anne Philips of Oakhampton who was married in St. John's on 26th October 1798 to John Young of Kilmoney or Kilmorey.)  On 19th September 1804, the St. John's register recorded the marriage of John Philips of Oakhampton to Margaret/Mary O'Driscoll of Foxhall.
a) Stumbles Philips, married Matilda and died September 1849 at home in Mount Philips. ('Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser', 3rd September 1849.)
b) John Stumbles Philips, baptised 27th August 1805, married Charlotte.
c) A second John Philips was born 13th September 1806, and baptised on 15th September 1806, by John and Anne (?) Philips of Oakhampton.  A John S. Philips married a Frances Millet in 1851 in Tipperary.
d) An infant daughter was buried on 8th January 1808.
e) Robert (Holmes?) Philips, baptised 16th January 1809, married 30th October 1840 to Miss Hunt
f) Henry Philips, born 12th February 1810, baptised 13th February 1810.
g) William Alfred Philips, baptised 7th March 1811.
h) English Philips baptised June 1813;  he married Henrietta M. Bentley, daughter of William Bentley, in Kilseily, Co. Clare, on 2nd June 1858.  The electoral registers of the time show English Phillips living at Hurlestown, Co. Clare.  He died in 1898.

The second Philips family of this region began with William Stumbles Philips (1776 - May 1843) who was married to Elizabeth and whose daughter, Elizabeth, was buried in St. John's, Newport, on 10th February 1789.  A son, Henry Philips, aged 12, was buried on 14th July 1797.
A son of William Philips of Mount Philips was christened in St. John's on 23rd March 1803 as Michael Philips.
William Philips of Mount Philips might have married a second time following the death of first wife Elizabeth.  The St. John's parish register records his marriage in 1805 to Catherine or Catherina, daughter of the late James Going of Belise.  Catherine Philips of Mount Philips, the wife of William Philips Esq., of Mount Philips, Newport,  died there on 13th March 1843. William Philips of Mount Philips, aged 67,  died two months after his wife in May 1843.

The children of  William Philips and Catherine Going were:
a) Susannah Philips, daughter of William S. Philips and Catherine of Mount Philips, baptised 21st August 1806.
a) William Stumbles Philips baptised on 19th March 1808, born 15th March - he would later marry Laura Pennefather, daughter of Rev. John Pennefather and Elizabeth Percival.
b) Richard James Philips, born 25th December 1809, baptised 27th December 1809.
c) Marcella Matilda Philips, born 1st January 1812, baptised 5th January 1812.

The 'Dublin Daily Express' of 25th October 1893 noted the death of Laura Phillips, née Pennefather, widow of the late William S. Phillips - she had died on the 18th October 1893 at Mount Phillips, the residence of her son.

And a few other Phillips - on February 4th 1863, the death occurred of Richard Edward Philips of Mount Rivers, Newport, Tipperary;  he was a magistrate of Limerick and Tipperary.
  Samuel Philips, father of the head constable Philips of Croom, died at the residence of his daughter at Newport on 2nd February 1853.

Rev. John Pennefather/The Clonmel Assizes

The following events occurred in 1822 and were widely reported in the papers of the day.

'CLONMEL ASSIZES , Tuesday, March 25th
    (From The Clonmel Herald)

    ABDUCTION OF HONORA RYAN

All the records having been gone through early on Wednesday, the LORD CHIEF JUSTICE, was occupied during the remainder of the day in the criminal trials. Before his Lordship
JAMES COFFEE was indicted for that he, on the 9th of March, in the 3rd year of the King, at Clonbonny, did feloniously assault Honora Ryan, and with others, did carry her away, with intent to marry or defile; he was also charged in another indictment with similar offences, on the 13th June following, at Lackland, in this county.
  

Honora Ryan being sworn, deposed, that between twelve and one o’clock on the night of 9th of March, in the year aforesaid, a party came to her mother’s house, and were breaking the door with a sledge, when she (the witness) arose from her bed, and began to dress herself in her brother’s clothes;  when she had got his greatcoat upon her, her brother got up, placed her behind the door, and opened it, which, when he had done, they rushed in, and she stole out;  but one of them observing her, they followed her, took her and brought her to Cragg.  Coffee was one of them, but she did not know him at that time. At Cragg, the men went to drink;  on leaving it, they put her on a horse behind one of the party, but that man got so drunk that two men failed to hold him up.  They then brought her to Castlenock, where, being fatigued, she begged to be allowed to get a bed. Being suffered by these desperate fellows to retire for the purpose, she influenced a woman in the house to go out and try to get her some assistance for her release:  the woman accordingly went to Mr. Parker, a magistrate, of Castlelough, who soon came to her with assistance:  those who had carried her off immediately ran away, save one, who being drunk was taken,  and witness was restored to her friends in a few hours after having been taken away, without other injury than the fatigue of the journey.
   

In about a fortnight afterwards, when witness was on her return from Clonmel assizes in the Limerick coach (where she had been to prosecute the man taken by Mr. Parker),  the coach was stopped near Mount Catherine by the prisoner Coffee, with four or five others, who dragged her off the coach. It was then she first remarked him, as he said the coachman: ‘I ventured my life for her once before, and it’s the least I can have her now.’  Coffee had a pistol;  in carrying her away from the coach, he told her he would not take her if he was rich, but he would have her on account of her money.  She was taken from the coach in the day-time,  and her brother being in it, he ran off to Mount Catherine, from whence he brought the military, who soon overtook her, and Coffee and his friends ran away. This, however, having occurred within the bounds of the County Limerick,  was not charged in the indictment.
    

After this, the witness, for her security, went to live at Lackland, near Newport, the residence of the Rev. Mr. Pennefather, where she remained nearly three months, when one day, while talking to her mother in the yard, leaning on a gate, she was seized by Coffee around the waist;  but she, catching fast hold around the gate, would not let it go, till one of Coffee’s assistants came up and dragged her from it,  tearing her hands and pulling off her cap with the violence of dragging her away. Coffee, then with another man, one of them under each of her arms, forced her across the river that was hard by, while another man held down her mother, till they dragged her in a creel across a bog, for fear the mother would go for assistance;  they then mounted her on a horse, , before Coffee, but from which she soon threw herself off, on which Coffee threatened her, that if she would do that again, he would make a show of her before the whole country.  In a short time afterwards, the horse was taken by one of the party, and witness was brought on foot a little further - when, fortunately, Mr. Ryan of  Ballymackeough, with some others, came up, and immediately Coffee and his friends ran off, and witness, for the third time, happily escaped, without any personal injury, but fright and fatigue. Upon these occasions, witness had a full opportunity of seeing the prisoner. On witness being asked on her oath if she was taken off on these occasions by force and against her consent, she replied most determinedly in the affirmative, and declared, that sooner than consent to marry Coffee she would cheerfully suffer to be torn to pieces.
   

Catherine Ryan, mother of the last witness, was next sworn, and corroborated her testimony regarding her daughter’s having been taken from her house on the 9th of March, and from Mr. Pennefather’s on the 13th of June.
    

Thomas Ryan, son of the last witness, and brother of Honora, deposed that he knew Coffee;  that in the month of April the prisoner and some other persons came into his cow-house:  that when Coffee came in, he saluted witness and said he knew it was assuming in him to come to witness:  but he said he had heard witness had raised part of his sister’s fortune from Mr. Pennefather.  Witness said he had taken only the interest, which he and his mother were authorized to take.  Prisoner then said, that if the witness would not give his consent to have his sister married to the prisoner,  that he would suffer for it, if it were seven years after, for there was no one preventing the marriage but him. To this the witness replied,  that he and his mother were determined to withhold his sister’s fortune, till they got a suitable match for her.
    

The case having ended there, MR. HATCHELL, prisoner’s advocate, said they would leave the case with his Lordship and the jury,  and called no witnesses for the defence, nor as to character.   The prisoner was convicted on one of the indictments, but as both are capital, that sufficed to determine his fate.’
The Mr. Ryan of Ballymackeogh, who rescued Honora Ryan, was William Ryan who had married Anne, the daughter of the Rev. John Pennefather - in the 1870s, William Ryan owned 1,352 acres in Tipperary;  the Ryan estate was close to Newport where the Rev. Pennefather lived. 
It is mentioned above that Rev. Pennefather had given money to Honora Ryan’s family as part of her marriage dowry - why did he do that, I wonder?

Saturday, 3 December 2011

The Rev. John Pennefather, Newport

Our maternal 5 x great grandparents were Rev. John Pennefather (1756- 1839) and his first, unrecorded wife, who he probably married in Cork. They had the one son, Edward Pennefather, from whom we descend.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.com/2011/07/pennefather-family-of-tipperary-and.html

John was the son of Kingsmill Pennefather, MP for Cashel, and Mary Lysaght the daughter of Lord Lisle of Mountnorth.
John Pennefather was educated by Mr.Tisdall who I think must be Rev. Michael Tisdall of Kilmaloda parish near Clonakilty - in 1778 Tisdall was the Vicar Choral of Cork and became the Archdeacon of Ross in 1781.
John Pennefather entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1774, aged 16, and graduated in 1779 with a BA, got an MA in 1811, and an LLB and an LLD in 1827.
He was recorded as a clergyman in Cork by 3rd November 1782,  and it was about this time that he married and had his first son Edward. He was then ‘collated to Vicarage Kilmolog and licenced to Castle Ellis 1784’, (Castle Ellis and Kilmolg form part of a parish situated between Wexford and Gorey), became the Treasurer of Cashel (1786 - 9), but spent the greater part of his life as the Rector of St.John’s, Newport, Tipperary, from 1789 until his death in 1839.
(A deed of 1st May 1786, ie, 394-531-261117, between Richard Pennefather of Newpark and William Ryan of Holycross, Tippeary, whereby Richard Pennefather leased Cloneyharp to Ryan, was witnessed by Rev. John Pennefather who was of the Parish of Ballymurreen near Cashel.)

He lived at a house named ‘Lacklands’ which was sometimes called the Glebe House. The Tithe Applotments mention him at Craggwhite (modern name Cragg), Kilcummin in 1826 which is about a mile north of the town of Newport, Tipperary.  In 1833, the Tithe Applotment Books mention him at Kilvellane in the townland of Glebe.
In 1821, Rev. John Pennefather was paid £24 15s. 10d. for having kept in repair, for two and a half years, 170 perches of the road from Limerick to Newport.

Griffiths Land Valuation of  1854 show several people in the Limerick town of Kilmallock leasing houses from the representatives of Rev. John Pennefather, this being 15 years after his death.
In 1792, John Pennefather had leased land outside Cashel from his brother Richard. This was put up for sale on 18th November 1851 as an encumbered estate. The encumbered estates acts of 1848 and 1849 allowed for the sale of estates which were heavily burdened by debt due to the Great Famine and to the mass emigration which followed it.  The Rev. John Pennefather had leased 19 acres from his brother Richard in the townlands of Lisheenbeg and Knocktoyle. In 1851, the tenant was Avery Jones who was the representative of Rev.John Pennefather - the yearly rent was £65.  Under ‘Tenure’ is: ‘By lease dated 1792, from Richard Pennefather to John Pennefather, for three lives, all of which are still living, viz; Eliza Pennefather, wife of said John Pennefather, the lessee; Nicholas Mansergh, eldest son of Daniel Mansergh, then of the city of Cashel;  and Kingsmill Pennefather, eldest son of the lessee. All this tenure is by the Ordnance Survey called Lisheen.’

Rev. John Pennefather was an Alderman of Cashel Council, which his brother, Richard Pennefather, had filled entirely with members of his own family. In 1833 it was established in the course of a public enquiry that Richard Pennefather of Newpark had not only appointed his brother, John, to the Board of Aldermen, but also his other brother, William Pennefather of  Cork. Other appointees were his sons, Mathew Pennefather, and William Pennefather of Lakefield;  his son-in-law, Ambrose Going;  his son-in-law, Owen Lloyd; his grandson William Lloyd; his nephew, Kingsmill Pennefather (the son of Rev. John Pennefather); his nephew, Nicholas Mansergh;  his nephews Daniel and Richard Connor;  his cousins, William Pennefather of Annesfort ,Thomas Pennefather and Edward Pennefather;  his wife’s cousin, Matthew Jacob, and the husband of his niece, Thomas Bourke. 
Despite their political dominance, the Pennefather family did little by way of civic improvement in Cashel - visitors to the town in the mid-eighteenth century were struck by the depressing poverty of the place.

From ‘The Citizen’, Issue 13 of November 1840:
‘We find in the city of Cashel, one of the richest cases of appropriation that the report presents, arising of course from the ruinous patronage of a neighbouring proprietor. Truly may we say, of the patrons of the old Corporations, that their "embrace has been fatal'' to their proteges.
"In Cashel, since 1777, the patron seems to have enjoyed exclusively the power of procuring the election of the aldermen, and of the several officers of the Corporation—of procuring the election of freemen, and of disposing of the corporate property as he pleased. The patron's influence is supposed still to exist, and it has been generally exercised for the advantage of himself and his friends, and little regard has for many years been paid to the interest of the city or the public. The exclusion of the inhabitants of Cashel from all share in the management of their own affairs, and the system of secrecy, go far to account for the total disregard of the public interests, and the very general dissatisfaction that prevails….A witness, who was a medical man, was in the summer of 1832 Secretary to the Board of Health in Cashel, and it became his duty to visit the habitations of the poor; and lie staled, that on that occasion, he ascertained that there were five hundred families in Cashel, without a blanket to cover them. Cashel suffers much from the want of a supply of water. A sufficient supply would be a great relief to all classes of the people, and particularly to the poor, who, in the summer, are frequently exposed to extreme inconvenience from the want of water. It was stated as the opinion of an eminent engineer, that a sufficient supply of water for the accommodation of the inhabitants, could be procured for £500; and that a supply of water for manufacturing purposes could be brought to Cashel for £2000 or £3000, which, if done, would probably be the means of promoting the wealth, industry, and comfort of the inhabitants. The town is not lighted, and the streets are dirty and in bad repair.’

The Reform Bills of the 1840s eventually wrestled power away from the Pennefather family by the extension of the franchise.

The second wife of Rev. John Pennefather was Elizabeth Percival (1765 - 1851) - the couple married on 19th December 1789 in St.John’s, Newport. Elizabeth Percival was the daughter of William Percival and Anne Waller.
Anne was the daughter of Richard Waller of  Castle Waller in Newport.
Elizabeth Percival's father, William Percival, was the grandson of Robert Percival, MP of Knightsbrooke, Meath. On 13th June 1717, Robert Percival married Jane Westby, the only daughter of Nicholas Westby of High Park, Wicklow.  This is the origin of the names ‘Percival’ and ‘Westby’ which would filter down through subsequent generations of our line of the Pennefather family.
Robert and Jane Percival had five children - the heir Robert Percival, William, Martha, Mary and Jane.
William Percival, the father of Elizabeth, was a captain in the 103rd Foot in 1783. Elizabeth’s siblings were Robert Percival of the West Indies who was a major in the 18th Royal Irish Regiment; Westby Percival of the Royal Navy who married Margaret Lysaght, daughter of Thomas Lysaght; William Percival, a colonel in the Rifle Brigade who married Charlotte Alice Palmer of Castle Lackin, Mayo; Jane who married Captain John Robert Bourke; Ann who married a Delany.

Elizabeth Percival's brother, Captain Westby Percival/Perceval of 128 Baggot Street, Dublin, made out his extensive and generous will on 10th June 1835 - this was lodged in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury,  He named his wife as Margaret Lysaght, daughter of Thomas Lysaght, a brother-in-law was Richard Lysaght, son of the late Thomas Lysaght, and two nieces, Charlotte and Elizabeth Lysaght, daughter of the late Thomas Lysaght.   Westby's brother was William Percival Esq., late Lieutenant Colonel of the 14th Regiment of Foot who had a daughter named in the will as Alice Percival, a late brother was Major Robert Percival of the 18th Royal Irish Regiment of Foot whose widow was Antoinette Percival and whose children, also named, were John, James, Elizabeth and Emily Percival.  He named an Emma Evans, daughter of what seems to be Thomas and Clara Evans, although this was difficult to decipher.  His sister and her husband were, of course, Elizabeth Pennefather and Rev. John Pennefather of The Glebe, Newport.  Westby's sisters were Jane Bourke and Ann Delaney of Limerick who had two daughters, not named in the will but provided for.  Two nieces were what seems to be Charlotte and Margaret Hunter, but the family name eluded me here.  Westby Percival also left money to his brother-in-law Henry Vansittart, to his dear friend Captain Philip Percival of the Grenadier Guards, and to his doctor and housemaid.

Rev. John Pennefather was buried at the Rock of Cashel.
His wife, Elizabeth Pennefather, died at Lower Mount Street, Dublin, in late June 1851.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/12/children-of-rev-john-pennefather.html

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/04/siblings-of-rev-john-pennefather-of.html

Sunday, 27 November 2011

The Moore Family of Rosscarbery

The maternal side of our family (ie: the Courtenay and Pennefather families)  intermarried in Dublin with the Moore family of Rosscarbery, Cork (and, latterly, Dublin) so I thought I’d do a piece about them.

Mary Courtenay,  was the sister of our maternal great-great-great grandmother, Emily Courtenay.  In 1851, Mary Courtenay married Herbert Gilman Moore (1818 - 1872) in St.Mary’s Church, Dublin.  On the Irish Genealogy website, which is putting births/deaths/marriages online for free, Herbert’s name was wrongly transcribed as ‘Herbert Gilmore More’.  Herbert was a convict officer living at Dublin’s Newgate Prison. He was the son of Emanuel Gilman Moore, a gentleman.
Mary Courtenay and Herbert Gilman Moore had children. Emanuel Walter Moore must have been born to couple circa 1860 - he would later marry Anna Maria Pennefather, our great-great grandmother’s sister. Mary and Emanuel also had William Percival in 1864.
Herbert Gilman Charles Moore was born to them in Dublin in 1868, and Frederick Thomas Moore in 1870.
 In 1880, Anna Maria Pennefather, the daughter of John Pennefather and Emily Pennefather (who were our 3 x great-grandparents), married Emanuel Walter Moore who was the son of the prison officer, Herbert Gilman Moore.  Anna Maria and Emanuel Moore promptly disappear from view and leave no trace of themselves that I can find.

Herbert Gilman Moore, the prison officer who married our Mary Courtenay, had been born in Cork in 1818 to Sir Emanuel Moore (named Emanuel Gilman Moore on his son’s marriage cert) and to Ellen Gilman. Sir Emanuel Moore was the 9th Baronet.  He had been born in 1786 to Sir Richard Moore, 8th Baronet, and died in 1849 in Castletown, the Isle of Man. 
Herbert Gilman Moore’s brother, Sir Richard Moore, 10th Baronet, had been born to Emanuel Moore and Ellen Gilman in Cork in 1810, and his obituary, published in the ‘Illustrated London News’ on 8th July 1882, makes interesting reading:

      ‘Sir Richard Emanuel Moore, 10th Baronet, of Rosscarbery, Co. Cork, whose death is just announced, was born in 1810, the eldest son of Sir Emanuel Moore, 9th Baronet, and succeeded his father in 1849.  He married, first in 1839, Mary Anne, daughter of Mr.Arthur O’Connor, and, secondly, in 1851, Margaret Matilda, daughter of Mr. Roger O’Connor, by the former of whom he leaves a son and successor, now Sir Thomas O’Connor Moore, 11th Baronet.
    Although the representative of a baronetcy conferred so far back as 1681, Sir Richard Emanuel Moore was a sad instance of the misery of a landless title. At one time he held the situation of a third-class turnkey at Spike Island, and subsequently was reduced to the direct need.  After vainly endeavouring to support himself by selling among the county families a book written by his wife, the poor Baronet opened a coal store in his son’s name, but his want of capital defeated this his last venture.’

‘ Sir Richard Moore's case is most lamentable:  The unfortunate Baronet lost the situation of turnkey and wandered from Spike Island to Dublin, where he raised a few pounds by the sale of a work written by Lady Moore, his wife. At last he became destitute, and a few years ago was to be seen, in abject want, in the streets of Dublin!’
(Vicissitudes of Families’ by Bernard Burke.)

   The title ended with Sir Thomas Moore’s death in 1926 - his son, John Moore, was a soldier and was killed in the Zulu wars in South Africa. This John Moore had been engaged to marry Eleanor Whelan when he was posted to South Africa. Eleanor was pregnant - following John’s death, she raised her son in Liverpool and then Manchester.

The Moore family had been associated with Rosscarbery near Bandon, Co. Cork. The baronetcy was created for Emanuel Moore, 1st Baronet, in 1681.  This Emanuel Moore was a supporter of the Monmouth rebellion which was directed against the English Catholic king, James II, but, following Monmouth’s defeat, Sir Emanuel seems to have survived any backlash.

The Moore family of Rosscarbery make fleeting appearances in the history books from time to time -
From ‘Brief Sketches of the Parishes of Booterstown and Donnybrook.’:
‘1754. In an unpublished letter from John Hayman, Esq., of Clonmcl, to Thomas Lindsay, Esq., " at Bath," dated 2nd November, 1754, there is this paragraph :—.' I am greatly concern'd to give an account that Sir Charles Moore is now no more. It's now upwards of a month, and that of a Saturday night, he sat up all night writing, went to bed about five in the morn, but cou'd get no rest; upon which he soon got up, and order'd his man to get his horse ready, ride out towards the Black Rock, near Dublin, gave his horse to the man, bid him walk about, and would be back soon. The servant thought he was going to dip as usual in the salt water; but not returning in some hours, or hearing of him, went to see for him, but cou'd get no account of him; upon which he went back to town, and told his sister that lived with him; upon which she call'd all his servants, and sent them to see for him; and in the latter end of the day they happened to see him lying on his face between two rocks; they turn'd him on his back, and fonnd his mouth all dirty and bloody, occasion'd by a shot of a pocket-pistol, which was loaded with shot, that he had discharged in his mouth. He had another in his pocket loaded with ball. There was a jury from town sat on his body, and was two days before they agreed to bring in their verdict, that he was lunatick. As yet I don't hear what reason he had for this rash and terrible action. He was look'd upon to be a man of good reason, a man of honour, and lived on the earth like a little god, not in debt, but full of cash, He made a will, and left all to his two sisters. His place.in the power of the Government was since given to one Mr. Maxwell." Sir Charles Moore, Bart, (only son of Sir Emanuel Moore, Bart., M.P. for Downpatrick), held the office of Keeper of the Records in Birmingham Tower, with Mr. John Lodge as his Deputy; and was succeeded by Robert Maxwell, Esq., Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant. The title and estates reverted to his uncle, Colonel Robert Moore.’

During the agrarian disturbances of the late eighteenth century, the family was under siege in west Cork from the Whiteboys:
   ‘Ireland, Cork, April 21st. We hear from Timoleague that the Honorable and Rev. Robert Bligh and Emanuel Moore, Esq., two of His Majesty’s Justices of the Peace, together with the Protestant inhabitants of that and the adjacent parishes, to the number of sixty, assembled on Easter Sunday last at Timoleague (where a proper person is to attend to exercise them) in order to prevent any riotous and unlawful assemblies in that quarter, and, as the meetings at mass are very numerous there, they have forbid such assemblies for the future.’
        The London Chronicle, Vol.11. 1762.

In 1788 Sir Emanuel Moore, baronet, was one of the trustees charged with purchasing ‘a convenient and proper piece of ground’ on which to build a new jail for County Cork.
In 1825 Sir Emanuel Moore leased one acre of his land to the Church of Ireland on which to construct an endowed school, Rathclaren School, at a rent of one penny per annum thereafter.   The plot of land adjoined the Moore demesne in the barony of East Carbery near Bandon.


Sir Emanuel Moore, 1st Baronet (d. c. 1692)
Sir William Moore, 2nd Baronet (1663-1693)
Sir Emanuel Moore, 3rd Baronet (1685-c. 1733)
Sir Charles Moore, 4th Baronet (d. 1754)
Sir Robert Moore, 5th Baronet (d. c. 1758)
Sir William Moore, 6th Baronet (d. c. 1783)
Sir Emanuel Moore, 7th Baronet (1722-1793)
Sir Richard Moore, 8th Baronet (1744-c. 1815)
Sir Emanuel Moore, 9th Baronet (1786-1849)
Sir Richard Emanuel Moore, 10th Baronet (1810-1882)
Sir Thomas O'Connor Moore, 11th Baronet (1845-1926)
Sir Jerry Moore, 12th Baronet (1942-2010)
Sir Douglas Cameron Alexander Moore, 13th Baronet (b. 1970)

The above list was taken from Wikipedia, and I know nothing more about Sir Jerry Moore nor about his successor.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/10/the-moore-family-of-rosscarbery-part-two.html